Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In-Game Purchases?

• 1584 posts
    October 31, 2016 11:25 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Let's keep it simple, No Cosmetics, no in game shop, nothing at all, I'm sure The armor will look great the way it is, if anything do what Destiny did and sppend a little bit of cash(game currency) for a Armor shade and be done with it, Or better yet Let a certain Tradeskill like poisonmaking and Alchemy make dyes like they did in EQ1, bam buythe dyes use it on all your visual items and you can look like a blue berry, if you decide too.

• 73 posts
    November 19, 2016 1:34 AM PST

What about having an in game market for in game, games.....  uh, let me clarify.

If my memory serves me correctly I remember at one time EQ had a mini game you could play while you were waiting for friends, raids, a boat ride, respawns, etc. Was it like tetris or something? Why not sell stuff like that. One thing I remember in EQ is having bits of downtime here and there. Maybe you could even get a little title on your name 'Pantheon-Tetris Master' Hehe.

I would certainly buy little things like that to entertain myself while waiting for a group or friend who's taking a biobreak. Sounds like the age group of a lot of us are a bit older so anything that resembles the classics would have our attention. Can make an online scoreboard so you can see high score.

Or a card game that players can compete with each other with booster packs and all that jazz. I enjoyed Vanguards card system for the most part.

Ok, Thanks.

• 1404 posts
    November 19, 2016 6:34 AM PST

VicNuggets said:

What about having an in game market for in game, games.....  uh, let me clarify.

If my memory serves me correctly I remember at one time EQ had a mini game you could play while you were waiting for friends, raids, a boat ride, respawns, etc. Was it like tetris or something? Why not sell stuff like that. One thing I remember in EQ is having bits of downtime here and there. Maybe you could even get a little title on your name 'Pantheon-Tetris Master' Hehe.

I would certainly buy little things like that to entertain myself while waiting for a group or friend who's taking a biobreak. Sounds like the age group of a lot of us are a bit older so anything that resembles the classics would have our attention. Can make an online scoreboard so you can see high score.

Or a card game that players can compete with each other with booster packs and all that jazz. I enjoyed Vanguards card system for the most part.

Ok, Thanks.

That would still be asking me to pay them a subscription fee for them to make a product to sell me or others, i won't do that.

The games would be fine, but they should be incuded as part of the subscription, not an additional cost. If they aren't making enough off subscription to meet the cost and make a nice profit, then they need to raise the subscription cost.

• 323 posts
    November 19, 2016 12:11 PM PST
    Shouldn't this thread be locked because the devs have since stated unequivocally that there will be no cash shop of any kind, and that progress and achievements in game will be determined solely based on accomplishments and time invested in game? I'm sure I am not alone in having donated to the development of this game in part based on this crucial premise.
    • 1303 posts
    November 19, 2016 12:12 PM PST

Zorkon said:

That would still be asking me to pay them a subscription fee for them to make a product to sell me or others, i won't do that.

The games would be fine, but they should be incuded as part of the subscription, not an additional cost. If they aren't making enough off subscription to meet the cost and make a nice profit, then they need to raise the subscription cost.

I'm not a fan  of in game shops, but... That's like saying that HBO and Showtime should be included in your basic cable subscription, and if they cant make enough money to support those premium channels they should raise everyone's cable bill across the board and provide the channels to everyone. 

If I don't give a crap about a bunch of fluff (and that's what Showtime, HBO are, and what in-game games would be to me), I dont want to have to pay for it just to get those things I do want.

• 1303 posts
    November 19, 2016 12:18 PM PST

Gnog said: Shouldn't this thread be locked because the devs have since stated unequivocally that there will be no cash shop of any kind, and that progress and achievements in game will be determined solely based on accomplishments and time invested in game? I'm sure I am not alone in having donated to the development of this game in part based on this crucial premise.

I dont think so at all. 

Look, I'm on the side of the devs who have stated that they intend no cash shops. So my hopes for Pantheon on this topic are relatively solid (but you never know). However, I always think there's value in people talking about things, debating, and putting forth their opinions. If you shut down conversation then very valid or at least enlightening positions cant be heard.

If nothing else, I like to understand where someone else with a differing position is coming from instead of telling them to shut up. Which is something we could use a whole lot more of in general these days.

• 1434 posts
    November 19, 2016 12:36 PM PST

I'm all for all conversations (threads that aren't redundant) being left open for discussion, but I'm not so sure any "enlightened positions" are going to come from advocates of cash shops.

I think it's time to extract a lot of these parts found in modern MMOs, and get back to the things that mattered. Namely, removing as many of the elements as possible that only remind the player that they are playing a game. Not just the cash shops, but limiting the many dialogs and other unimmersive interactions with the client itself. Once you enter Terminus, everything should be about assuming the identity of your character and what you can achieve through interacting with the world and other players.

This post was edited by Dullahan at November 19, 2016 12:38 PM PST
    • 323 posts
    November 19, 2016 12:37 PM PST
    I agree with your general sentiment about the free exchange of ideas. But the last several pages of this thread have involved discussions that do not reflect an acknowledgement that the devs have stated clearly that no cash shop will be implemented, which is where thread moderation should have a place. Cash shops are anathema to the basic concept of an RPG, but they are equally alluring to game owners seeking to maximize returns. There are plenty of games that have gone that direction, and this game has been touted as breaking from those games and taking the purer road. Continued, unmoderated discussions of cash shops makes it seem like they are still on the table for this game, which I understood--and please do correct me if I'm wrong--they are not.
    • 120 posts
    November 19, 2016 1:13 PM PST

I think any missed items from expansion pre-orders etc should be in a cash shop. At a bit higher price than their value included in a pre-order or these pledges for example.

• 12 posts
    November 19, 2016 1:44 PM PST

This is my first post and i want to make it clear  I do not want any kind of cash shop for in game items. I am some one who spends alot of time on his charecters appearence and will not play a game that wants me to spend real money just so my charecter dose not look like crap. secondly as a crafter we often get shafted on having gear that is any where close in comparison to end game gear which means glamor is the only crafting worth while.

With that said i am fine with world transfer, skill reset, or a full charecter change probly just to the same race or a race with the same class. Do not make it so the class can be or there will be people at max who cant plat thier class. I would like to ask that you would still be able to change your hair style/ color and face paint/make up without having to pay. There is one thing i might be simi ok with would be if you have like holiday events and the reward can only ever be obtainted that once as it should change every year. However i would rather not as it would show that you actuly played during that time. in the end if you need more money i would ask that you would do what some others sugested and just make the mothly subscription higher.

At the moment i am subscribed to FFXIV and do to the demand for inv I pay and aditional $6 just for that ($1 per retainer) and i have the sub that alows you to have more then one chatecter per server. It cost the over 20$ i have no problem with this as i figure i use up more memory then other players. Keep in mind in that game 1 charecter can do every class and craft.

• 1303 posts
    November 19, 2016 1:54 PM PST

Dullahan said:

I'm all for all conversations (threads that aren't redundant) being left open for discussion, but I'm not so sure any "enlightened positions" are going to come from advocates of cash shops.

I think it's time to extract a lot of these parts found in modern MMOs, and get back to the things that mattered. Namely, removing as many of the elements as possible that only remind the player that they are playing a game. Not just the cash shops, but limiting the many dialogs and other unimmersive interactions with the client itself. Once you enter Terminus, everything should be about assuming the identity of your character and what you can achieve through interacting with the world and other players.

Well, ok maybe it's just that I really want to participate on these forums, and we don't have anything new to talk about :) 

• 1404 posts
    November 19, 2016 2:02 PM PST

Gnog said: I agree with your general sentiment about the free exchange of ideas. But the last several pages of this thread have involved discussions that do not reflect an acknowledgement that the devs have stated clearly that no cash shop will be implemented, which is where thread moderation should have a place. Cash shops are anathema to the basic concept of an RPG, but they are equally alluring to game owners seeking to maximize returns. There are plenty of games that have gone that direction, and this game has been touted as breaking from those games and taking the purer road. Continued, unmoderated discussions of cash shops makes it seem like they are still on the table for this game, which I understood--and please do correct me if I'm wrong--they are not.

I see your point, but keeping with forum guidelines of searching for a topic and adding your comments to the thread as opposed to starting a new thread I think it absolutely nessasary to keep this thread open so new subscribers such as the person above this post (Windfall) can add there feelings, even if those feelings are the same as another. 

One person  stating "I do not like this" is like one vote.

25 people posting the same feelings "I do not like this" although the same comment, has 25 times the impact.

I claim my part in the way RPG's have gone through the years by not stepping up and stating my position, often times justifying my silence by thinking "so and so already said it" 

One "vote" that should have been two.

As far as Brad having already stated "no cash shop" yes he did, long before Kilsin even started this thread.

This post was edited by Zorkon at November 19, 2016 8:00 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 19, 2016 4:05 PM PST

Gnog said: Shouldn't this thread be locked because the devs have since stated unequivocally that there will be no cash shop of any kind, and that progress and achievements in game will be determined solely based on accomplishments and time invested in game? I'm sure I am not alone in having donated to the development of this game in part based on this crucial premise.

We have made our stance very clear but it is fine for the community to discuss their opinions and reasons for and against our decision as long as it remains on topic and mature/civil it can remain open :)