Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

character slots

• 49 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:18 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

Long term benefit with more alts..play with more people from other factions, longevity of game

You can do that on another server.

4 slots is more than reasonable. That allows for one of each archtype; tank, healer, hybrid, dps.

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:20 PM PDT

Why does this whole discussion remind me of nosy neighbours, getting in your business? :P    If someone is actually "cheating"...report them  I intend on reporting every single bot I encounter,  every gold/plat seller.   I have done this my whole gaming career.   I don't want to see Pantheon infested with those types of cockroaches.     Other than that,  again..allow choice,  allow a little freedom, and when it comes right down to it,  VR has the last word.    

Cana

• 173 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:20 PM PDT

Madae said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Long term benefit with more alts..play with more people from other factions, longevity of game

4 slots is more than reasonable. That allows for one of each archtype; tank, healer, hybrid, dps.

You can also..do it on the same server.  8 slots is more than reasonable.

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:21 PM PDT

Madae said:

CanadinaXegony said:

No I can't do that on another server..I choose to remain with my friends and guildies...and why would you care what I do??  Really...whats it to you...not your business whatsoever.  Are you paying for my account...am I paying for yours?  Nope.    Play how you play and I'll play how I play.   Simple solution.

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at July 27, 2018 1:22 PM PDT
    • 49 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:22 PM PDT

Aarpoch said:

Perhaps you missed my previous post. Here, I'll quote it for you to save you the effort;

Madae said:

For: I want more slots because I like alts.

Against: Limits socialization. Grossly unnecessary abundance. Potential longterm negative effect on the economy. Reduced challenge of overcoming obstacles with other people. No hard choice. Reduced importance of trade skills and master crafters.

Solution: Create alts on other servers

Response: No

CanadinaXegony said:

No I can't do that on another server..I choose to remain with my friends and guildies...and why would you care what I do??  Really...whats it to you...not your business whatsoever.

See above. It does affect me.

This post was edited by Madae at July 27, 2018 1:23 PM PDT
    • 173 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:24 PM PDT

Madae said:

Aarpoch said:

Perhaps you missed my previous post. Here, I'll quote it for you to save you the effort;

Madae said:

Against: Limits socialization. Grossly unnecessary abundance. Potential longterm negative effect on the economy. Reduced challenge of overcoming obstacles with other people. No hard choice. Reduced importance of trade skills and master crafters.

I read it thei first time.  It's based off of "potential longterm negative effects" which you're just makeing up to support this whle idear.  Or shold I apologize for not having the same crystal ball  you do?

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:24 PM PDT

it doesn't limit socialization...not one bit.   My friends know my alts...because I tell them. And I like to think I am community minded....moving to another server doesn't promote that at all...

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:25 PM PDT

Madae said:

Aarpoch said:

Madae said:

CanadinaXegony said:

No I can't do that on another server..I choose to remain with my friends and guildies...and why would you care what I do??  Really...whats it to you...not your business whatsoever.

No it doesn't rofl...not one whit.  I play with friends and guildies..if you aren't on my friend's list or part of my guild...it doesn't affect you.   Again...reminds me of the nosy neighbour syndrome.   

• 646 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:25 PM PDT

Madae said:For: I want more slots because I like alts.

"Limits socialization" - I disagree. Easily countered by making crafting slow and difficult to master, or even by putting an account limit on how many crafting professions you can have.

"Grossly unnecessary abundance" - Nonsense words.

"Potential longterm negative effect on the economy" - Not seen a single MMO that suffered due to me being able to make 10+ alts.

"Reduced challenge of overcoming obstacles with other people" - What? It's not like I can play multiple characters at once. I still need groups to accomlish things.

"No hard choice" - It's a video game. Video games are supposed to be fun. I do not find being forced into 2-3 characters "fun".

"Reduced importance of trade skills and master crafters" - Nonsense, especially if VR is careful in how they balance crafts. There are many ways to handle this, including making it take a very long time to level a craft. Another option is to have specializations within crafting professions so that even if you have a Blacksmith, you may not have the right specialization of Blacksmith that you need for X thing.

None of the above "points" sufficiently counter the desire of players to have FUN.

And as for those who want more slots, there are more nuanced reasons than just "I want them."

- Variety of gameplay means increased longevity of the game for me

- When I play more, I'm more invested in the game long-term

- More opportunities to be useful to friends and family, or even just acquaintances (See someone asking in chat for a tank, "Oh I've got a tank alt - give me a moment to switch!")

- More RP characters, enriching the community

- IT'S FUN

Madae said:You can do that on another server.

No, you cannot. Creating characters on another server isolates you from your friends/family/established community. 4 slots is NOT "more than reasonable."

This post was edited by Naunet at July 27, 2018 1:29 PM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:27 PM PDT

Madae said:

CanadinaXegony said:

what if I don't want to be an "archetype"...there are several more classes in the game.  How boring.   

• 49 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:28 PM PDT

Aarpoch said:

I read it thei first time.  It's based off of "potential longterm negative effects" which you're just makeing up to support this whle idear.  Or shold I apologize for not having the same crystal ball  you do?

Lack of foresight and inability to see potential problems is not really my problem. Apology accepted.

CanadinaXegony said:

No it doesn't rofl...not one whit.  I play with friends and guildies..if you aren't on my friend's list or part of my guild...it doesn't affect you.   Again...reminds me of the nosy neighbour syndrome.   

Yeah, it does.

This is getting tired. Argue all you want. I don't really care. Hopefully VR chooses the correct path.

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:29 PM PDT

Naunet said:

Madae said:For: I want more slots because I like alts.

"Limits socialization" - I disagree. Easily countered by making crafting slow and difficult to master, or even by putting an account limit on how many crafting professions you can have.

"Grossly unnecessary abundance" - Nonsense words.

"Potential longterm negative effect on the economy" - Not seen a single MMO that suffered due to me being able to make 10+ alts.

"Reduced challenge of overcoming obstacles with other people" - What? It's not like I can play multiple characters at once. I still need groups to accomlish things.

"No hard choice" - It's a video game. Video games are supposed to be fun. I do not find being forced into 2-3 characters "fun".

"Reduced importance of trade skills and master crafters" - Nonsense, especially if VR is careful in how they balance crafts. There are many ways to handle this, including making it take a very long time to level a craft. Another option is to have specializations within crafting professions so that even if you have a Blacksmith, you may not have the right specialization of Blacksmith that you need for X thing.

None of the above "points" sufficiently counter the desire of players to have FUN.

Yes ..where is the FUN word in all this.  I play to have fun, communicate with others..explore, join up groups for adventure.   I am not rigidly set in...Oh I can only play one class, one race ...I do what entices me to explore...and to have fun, and I do this with other people.    

• 646 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:30 PM PDT

Madae said:Hopefully VR chooses the correct path.

I sure hope so. :)

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:32 PM PDT

Madae said:

Aarpoch said:

Lack of foresight and inability to see potential problems is not really my problem. Apology accepted.

CanadinaXegony said:

Yeah, it does.

This is getting tired. Argue all you want. I don't really care. Hopefully VR chooses the correct path.

Oh YOUR path?  hehehe  VR will certainly do what fits with their vision of Pantheon.  I've been around since 2014,  I have read pretty much everything the VR Devs have put out there.   And their main aim isn't to have a game that is boring or limiting because certain other people want rigid rules of play.  That would scare people away, not encourage them to stay.

• 173 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:32 PM PDT

Madae said:

Aarpoch said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Yeah, it does.

Yes, it is getting very tired.  And for somebody who don't really care you are sure arguing heavliy enough....

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:33 PM PDT

Naunet said:

Madae said:Hopefully VR chooses the correct path.

I sure hope so. :)

No worries, they will. :)

• 49 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:33 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

That would scare people away, not encourage them to stay.

Good. You sound like you've never had a challenge.

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:36 PM PDT

Madae said:

Aarpoch said:

Madae said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Well in that case..cough up the money for my subscription...fair is fair.  :)

• 1714 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:36 PM PDT

Time to stop feeding the troll guys. 

• 173 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:37 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

Ya, I gots stuff to be doing anyway.  Work calls.  Peace out :)

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:41 PM PDT

Madae said:

CanadinaXegony said:

That would scare people away, not encourage them to stay.

Good. You sound like you've never had a challenge.

You know what assumptions do don't you?  When did you start online gaming?   I have pvped most of my gaming time online.   Take it from there.  And no it wasn't Wow.

• 49 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:42 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

Let's consider something here; VR includes 8 slots (or more) for you and your totally not trolling either friends. The difference between all of you and me is that I would accept it and play, despite my misgivings. You, on the other hand, will likely throw a fit about 4, or less, and possibly quit. I mean, I have no reason to think otherwise the way all of you are vehemently defending your right to have fun and how it's totally ruined if you don't get your way.

And for some reason I'm considered the troll here... 

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:42 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

True that...I know who won't be going on my friend list ingame.  hehehe And then it won't matter one way or another. :)

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:44 PM PDT

Madae said:

Keno Monster said:

Let's consider something here; VR includes 8 slots (or more) for you and your totally not trolling either friends. The difference between all of you and me is that I would accept it and play, despite my misgivings. You, on the other hand, will likely throw a fit about 4, or less, and possibly quit. I mean, I have no reason to think otherwise the way all of you are vehemently defending your right to have fun and how it's totally ruined if you don't get your way.

And for some reason I'm considered the troll here... 

Are you the troll?  Well thanks for the clarification.  I'm glad to hear that you would be accepting of VR's vision even if it doesn't address your misgivings. :)

• 646 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:45 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:I'm glad to hear that you would be accepting of VR's vision even if it doesn't address your misgivings. :)

Seriously, that says it all. xD