Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

character slots

• 646 posts
    July 27, 2018 11:58 AM PDT

Porygon said:Like... of you cant stay engaged in an mmo with 3 different characters...  either the mmo is just boring and monotonous (which a lot of them are)  Or mmos aren't the game genre for you lol.

That doesn't make any sense. MMOs are most definitely the genre for me, as they allow me to create multiple unique characters and play with my husband and friends in a persistent world.

Just because I like variety and have a mind that comes up with an endless stream of character concepts doesn't mean MMOs are somehow not for me. They've been "for me" for over a decade. They're pretty much the ONLY video game genre I play.

This post was edited by Naunet at July 27, 2018 12:10 PM PDT
    • 1120 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:05 PM PDT

urgatorbait said:

I'm sorry if my reply comes across a bit surly, that's not my usual style but this topic, for some reason, is really poking a nerve with me. 

Look, the main argument against a reasonable number of character slots seems to be centered around an impact to the economy.  Seriously, I think people are blowing this way out of proportion and then others are merely jumping on the band wagon to sound cool or appear like they are somehow hardcore.  Boiled down, even if there are enough charactrer slots for one to be totally self-sufficient in crafting, it's not going to impact the economy in any appreciable way.  The amount of time and effort needed to level a large number of tradeskills to high level, combined with the fact that a very small number of players will actually be willing to make that sort of inventment, makes that argument agains a larger number of slots, moot. 

Further, the thought that VR would expect their paying customers to choose one or two classes to level and if they wanted to change to anopther have to delete all that progress and start over is honestly rifdiculous.  Especially in the early days of the game, when there are likely to be class imbalances that will later be worked out, I would be ticked if I wanted to play a Rogue really bad at launch, got him to level 30 or so only to realize he was undertuned in DPS or had some other issue and they had not fixed.  I decide to move on so I can actually be desired in a group, delete that toon, and then two months later VR fixes the Rogue class issues.  How annoyed do you think players like that will be?

I'm not arguing for unlimited slots, to the contrary, but there's no LEGITIMATE reason why the typical 6-8 slots most historical MMOs have given would not work.

Just wanted to posty my two cents...

1) dont give in to FotM classes.  And play what you like.  Trust VR will balance.  Play your terrible rogue and play him good. So when he does get balanced everyone already knows you.  Dont quit cause you're not the max dps class...

Second... you're right... it won't ruin the "economy".  But you don't know how easy or how much it will cost to max a tradeskill... it does however limit socialization.  I never have to find a blacksmith cause my 7th human warrior is a blacksmith. 

I think if VR really wants you to be able to have all tradeskills... they will just adopt an eq style approach and let you level all of them.

This post was edited by Porygon at July 27, 2018 12:05 PM PDT
    • 646 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:07 PM PDT

urgatorbait said:I'm not arguing for unlimited slots, to the contrary, but there's no LEGITIMATE reason why the typical 6-8 slots most historical MMOs have given would not work.

Just wanted to posty my two cents...

Agreed 100%. I have over 30 characters in WoW. I played 8 characters in Aion back in the day. I have 9 in Rift and will soon have 10 once I can settle on an appearance for my mystic archer concept. I had almost 20 in TERA (don't play it anymore, due to them ruining the costume/dye system). I have 10 characters in FFXIV. 9 in GW2. 11 in WildStar.

And yes, I actually play them. Not all the time, obviously (there's simply not enough time haha), but I cycle through them. One thing I like to do in MMOs is level up with different characters, changing up the experience with new character concepts - different appearances, race/class combos, etc.

• 646 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:09 PM PDT

augh double post

This post was edited by Naunet at July 27, 2018 12:10 PM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:10 PM PDT

I loaded up GW1 the other day because it's an all time favorite. All of my slots are full. I cannot make a new character. They want $10 a slot. I nuked the game and will never look back. 

• 49 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:34 PM PDT

Porygon said:

Second... you're right... it won't ruin the "economy".  But you don't know how easy or how much it will cost to max a tradeskill... it does however limit socialization.  I never have to find a blacksmith cause my 7th human warrior is a blacksmith. 

This is all that needs to be said.

I'm sorry, but you don't need 20-30 characters. It's just a fact. You want more characters, make characters on all the servers. 10 servers. 4 per server. 40 characters. Have at it.

• 1714 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:36 PM PDT

Madae said:

Porygon said:

I'm sorry, but you don't need 20-30 characters. It's just a fact. You want more characters, make characters on all the servers. 10 servers. 4 per server. 40 characters. Have at it.

Who said 20-30? Also, how many people are actually going to level up max crafters to fill up their available slots vs how many just want to roll a bunch of alts and enjoy the game? 

• 49 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:40 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

Who said 20-30? Also, how many people are actually going to level up max crafters to fill up their available slots vs how many just want to roll a bunch of alts and enjoy the game? 

Roll your alts on another server. Problem solved.

• 1714 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:43 PM PDT

Madae said:

Keno Monster said:

Roll your alts on another server. Problem solved.

I think you are making a up a problem. 

• 1584 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:43 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

Madae said:

Porygon said:

It doesn't matter how people will or can do it for the mere fact if it becomes possible that it becomes a problem, and believe me there will be a lot of people that will do it, if your talking ratio wise it is pretty low but overall still quite a bit easily at the beginning 30 people than when people start catching on or simply took them a bit longer probably about 1/10 of the server prolly, like it is in eq1, no one buys tradeskill items why becuase i can make it myself and also no one talks to each other want to know why, becuase i dont have to and still grp with myself and clear content, tradeskill myself and make everything, see where the problem is here?

• 1714 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:46 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Keno Monster said:

Madae said:

Porygon said:

It doesn't matter how people will or can do it for the mere fact if it becomes possible that it becomes a problem, and believe me there will be a lot of people that will do it, if your talking ratio wise it is pretty low but overall still quite a bit easily at the beginning 30 people than when people start catching on or simply took them a bit longer probably about 1/10 of the server prolly, like it is in eq1, no one buys tradeskill items why becuase i can make it myself and also no one talks to each other want to know why, becuase i dont have to and still grp with myself and clear content, tradeskill myself and make everything, see where the problem is here?

I think you are grossly exaggerating. 

• 49 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:47 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

Well I think you're just making excuses, how about that? You want your 20 characters on one server. That is a want, not a need. You can make your 20 anywhere.

Keno Monster said:

You're just trolling now. You just had a legitimate fix for your "problem" delivered right to you and somehow that still isn't enough.

This post was edited by Madae at July 27, 2018 12:47 PM PDT
    • 399 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:49 PM PDT

2/3 Character Slots

One additional slot each time an additional race and/or class is revealed through an expansion. 

Bank space: should have whatever the number of slots are but have the ability to buy, at a rate per cycle, as much extra space as you want. 

• 173 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:50 PM PDT

Madae said:

Keno Monster said:

Well I think you're just making excuses, how about that? You want your 20 characters on one server. That is a want, not a need. You can make your 20 anywhere.

Keno Monster said:

You're just trolling now. You just had a legitimate fix for your "problem" delivered right to you and somehow that still isn't enough.

Want? this is a video game.   It is ALL a want.

• 49 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:53 PM PDT

Aarpoch said:

There are better arguments in favor of limiting slots than there are for allowing you to have as many as you want. At it's core, this is a design problem, and allowing people free reign over it causes more issues than it resolves. You give complete control to a player and they will absolutely abuse it. Maybe not you, but definitely someone else. That is a time tested fact.

• 1584 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:56 PM PDT

How about this you can make as many charcter as you want but can only have up to 3 tradeskills per account, and can only get a new one by getting rid of one off one of your prev tradeskills, if all you truly want is the characters and not worried about tradeskills than only having 3 tradeskills pre account shouldnt really bother you, unless of course..........................

• 1714 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:58 PM PDT

Madae said:

Aarpoch said:

There are better arguments in favor of limiting slots than there are for allowing you to have as many as you want. At it's core, this is a design problem, and allowing people free reign over it causes more issues than it resolves. You give complete control to a player and they will absolutely abuse it. Maybe not you, but definitely someone else. That is a time tested fact.

So I ask you again, who is arguing for unlimited slots?

• 173 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:59 PM PDT

Really?  I have yet to see (a real) one mentioned yet.

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 12:59 PM PDT

Star Wars Galaxies you could only have two characters per server...frustrating.  I am a crafter.   Allow the 8 ..not everyone makes more than one.  Allow choice.  I also use my alts to help friends that are just starting out.  I also like to sample all the starter cities.   Variety is the spice of life.   I shouldn't have to go to multiple servers, if I have my guild and friends on one particular server.    I love the lore from the different racial cities, and want to experience that.   Why put limitations.    Give the choices, and let people play how they will.   Also...I have been playing online since 1995,   I have my established play style just like everyone else.    Personally I don't get why anyone would care ...that I might want a character from each race,  its my business, and VR's business.  I pay for my account,  nobody else.  Want to limit my playstyle?   Pay my subscription for me.  :P

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at July 27, 2018 1:11 PM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:00 PM PDT

Madae said:

Keno Monster said:

Keno Monster said:

People are now making up numbers to support this mythical claim that tons of people are going to hurt the economy and social aspect of the game by spending hundreds of hours raising trade skills to max levels across a bunch of different characters. There are no facts to support the claim. I think you are making up a problem where one does not exist. 

• 646 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:01 PM PDT

Madae said:This is all that needs to be said.

The majority of people here asking for more character slots want somewhere in the realm of 8-12, not 20-30.

Though again I'll point out that "roll on another server" is not an appealing solution to people who, like me, tend to stick with the RP community and that RP community tends to be on only one server.

Stop trying to ruin other peoples' fun just because it doesn't match what you find fun.

Madae said:You're just trolling now. You just had a legitimate fix for your "problem" delivered right to you and somehow that still isn't enough.

The problem doesn't need a fix because it's a hugely overstated "problem". I can't think of a single MMO that suffered for having many character slots.

Madae said:There are better arguments in favor of limiting slots than there are for allowing you to have as many as you want. 

There really aren't.

This post was edited by Naunet at July 27, 2018 1:03 PM PDT
    • 1584 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:09 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

Madae said:

Keno Monster said:

Keno Monster said:

People are now making up numbers to support this mythical claim that tons of people are going to hurt the economy and social aspect of the game by spending hundreds of hours raising trade skills to max levels across a bunch of different characters. There are no facts to support the claim. I think you are making up a problem where one does not exist. 

Than you my friend are in denial, when the new tlp servers in eq1 pop up do you have any idea how many people rush tradeskilling to make plat and get Kronos! a lot of them and if i still had the photo someone sent me on discord they had over 500 kronos within the first month of lockjaw! 500x $17.99(assuming it was from website and bought one at a time) is well im not going to do the math but it a crap load of money! and that was only in one tradeskill of jewerly and the guilds funding her/him so she would past out fast so they could get a huge piece of that pie and they did simple as that, i havent even talked about BS, and the other ways of making money, that was just with 1 tradeskill, so to think in the long run having to get a ton of tradeskills isnt going to effect the economy is simply dead wrong.

• 49 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:12 PM PDT

Naunet said:

There really aren't.

For: I want more slots because I like alts.

Against: Limits socialization. Grossly unnecessary abundance. Potential longterm negative effect on the economy. Reduced challenge of overcoming obstacles with other people. No hard choice. Reduced importance of trade skills and master crafters.

Solution: Create alts on other servers

Response: No

This post was edited by Madae at July 27, 2018 1:13 PM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:12 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Keno Monster said:

Madae said:

Keno Monster said:

Keno Monster said:

Than you my friend are in denial, when the new tlp servers in eq1 pop up do you have any idea how many people rush tradeskilling to make plat and get Kronos! a lot of them and if i still had the photo someone sent me on discord they had over 500 kronos within the first month of lockjaw! 500x $17.99(assuming it was from website and bought one at a time) is well im not going to do the math but it a crap load of money! and that was only in one tradeskill of jewerly and the guilds funding her/him so she would past out fast so they could get a huge piece of that pie and they did simple as that, i havent even talked about BS, and the other ways of making money, that was just with 1 tradeskill, so to think in the long run having to get a ton of tradeskills isnt going to effect the economy is simply dead wrong.

There won't be any kronos type transactions taking place in Pantheon, this has already been discussed in a thread created by the VR Devs.  

• 3016 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:15 PM PDT

Madae said:

Naunet said:

There really aren't.

For: I want more slots because I like alts.

Against: Limits socialization. Grossly unnecessary abundance. Potential longterm negative effect on the economy. Reduced challenge of overcoming obstacles with other people. No hard choice.

Solution: Create alts on other servers

Response: No

Long term benefit with more alts..play with more people from other factions, longevity of game..for me personally,  more to do..more years invested in the game.   #communitymatters,  all I want is the regular 8 slots,  might not fill them all, but if am bored with my level capped character,  might on a whim start a newbie from another race, another city.   And I plan on staying on the server where my friends and guildies hang out.

Cana