Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

A Cash Shop is Being Considered

• 101 posts
    February 25, 2021 10:46 PM PST

stellarmind said:

make the cash shop a two way street and im on board

You want to sell gold back to the server for real$? or game time?

• 101 posts
    February 25, 2021 10:53 PM PST

It depends.

Does VR want to make a game for everyone that caters to the lowest common denominator and makes ridiculous amounts of money.

- or-

Does VR want to make a quality game that is not for everyone, but really rewards it’s loyal base and only makes a modest, reliable profit?

• 77 posts
    February 26, 2021 1:15 PM PST

I think he meant like early D3 where you could sell items for cash.

• 226 posts
    February 26, 2021 2:51 PM PST

Telepath said:

It depends.

Does VR want to make a game for everyone that caters to the lowest common denominator and makes ridiculous amounts of money.

- or-

Does VR want to make a quality game that is not for everyone, but really rewards it’s loyal base and only makes a modest, reliable profit?

The want to make a ridiculous amounts of money. Wether they say or not, that's the goal. It's a buisness, not a charity. 

• 1999 posts
    February 26, 2021 3:07 PM PST

Sweety said:

The want to make a ridiculous amounts of money. Wether they say or not, that's the goal. It's a buisness, not a charity. 

Whether you admit it or not, you have no real understanding of human nature.

• 945 posts
    February 26, 2021 3:11 PM PST

It depends.

- or-

Contrary to what many would like, making a product reliant upon "Massive Multitudes" of contributers to cater to a niche demographic is not conducive of any sustainable "profit" (financial gain in excess of expenses).
    They can make a "quality game" and still cater to a "Massive Multitude of Online" players.  I think they will be fine as long as the purchase options are nowhere within the in game UI and in no way contribute to in game "mechanics".

• 226 posts
    February 26, 2021 3:18 PM PST

Jothany said:

Sweety said:

Whether you admit it or not, you have no real understanding of human nature.

That seems uncalled for. We can disagree, it's ok to think differently. 

• 273 posts
    February 26, 2021 4:08 PM PST

Sweety said:

If you want to make a ridiculous amount of cash in the gaming industry, a niche MMO is not the way to go about it.

Yes, I realize EQ made a ridiculous amount of cash, but even the money Sony/Verant made on EQ pales in comparison to the kind of money studios have made since, even other MMOs.

• 226 posts
    February 26, 2021 4:41 PM PST

eunichron said:

Sweety said:

If you want to make a ridiculous amount of cash in the gaming industry, a niche MMO is not the way to go about it.

Yes, I realize EQ made a ridiculous amount of cash, but even the money Sony/Verant made on EQ pales in comparison to the kind of money studios have made since, even other MMOs.

For the most part, I agree with you. My point is, it's silly saying that they don't want to make ridiculous amounts of money. Of course they do, they also want to make a quality game. Both things are true, and in my opinion, pretty obvious. I'm not saying they will make "ridiculous amounts of money" .. but I’m pretty sure they want to. 

• 1999 posts
    February 26, 2021 9:39 PM PST

Sweety said:

There have been several occasions where VR Devs have stated flat out that they could have already been making more money if they so desired, but that is not why they are making Pantheon.

Thus, your unsubstantiated claim about their motivations is at least as uncalled for as my unsubstantiated claim about your lack of knowledge. Which is why I made it, and phrased it to resembly your claim.

And if you really believe that everyone who starts a business has the primary motivation of making ridiculous amounts of money, then I stand by my claim.

• 245 posts
    February 27, 2021 5:36 PM PST

Most people start a business because of their passion for something in life.

• 438 posts
    February 27, 2021 6:22 PM PST
    I agree most companies start up the business because they have a passion for it. However, you’re a damn fool if you believe that making a profit is not apart of the end game. Otherwise, why not make a game, have no subscription, no nothing. Just make it free. I’m pretty sure that’s where Sweety, or whatever the name is, is trying to say.
    • 1999 posts
    February 27, 2021 7:08 PM PST

Mordecai said:However, you’re a damn fool if you believe that making a profit is not apart of the end game.

And you sir, are a damn fool if you think that is what I was saying.

• 1999 posts
    February 27, 2021 7:09 PM PST

Ezrael said:

Most people start a business because of their passion for something in life.

THAT is what I was saying.

• 9115 posts
    February 28, 2021 11:47 AM PST

Please keep this on topic to prevent the thread from being closed, again.

• 226 posts
    February 28, 2021 6:14 PM PST

Jothany said:

Sweety said:

There have been several occasions where VR Devs have stated flat out that they could have already been making more money if they so desired, but that is not why they are making Pantheon.

Thus, your unsubstantiated claim about their motivations is at least as uncalled for as my unsubstantiated claim about your lack of knowledge. Which is why I made it, and phrased it to resembly your claim.

And if you really believe that everyone who starts a business has the primary motivation of making ridiculous amounts of money, then I stand by my claim.

That's fine. I will make the claim that you could be more kind.  

And to keep this to topic, I will add I don't really like a cash shop, but I understand why there may be one :-) 

This post was edited by Sweety at February 28, 2021 7:16 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 28, 2021 8:17 PM PST

Thank you, Sweety :)

Everyone, please no more personal attacks. These forums are for engagement, camaraderie and growing a community to last many years together, if someone has a differing opinion, that's fine, if they spout incorrect information, kindly link them the correct official information, if it goes beyond that send me a PM with a link to the comment and I will look after it, please don't take it upon yourself to set the person straight or enforce some kind of smackdown on them, that's my job! ;)

/hug

On topic ONLY replies from now on or the thread gets locked and further action may be taken against repeat offenders.

• 101 posts
    March 2, 2021 8:12 AM PST

Nearly every MMO out there has transitioned from a Pure Sub model to a FTP-Cash Shop model or a Hybrid of the two.  Cash shops are where the money is these days. The moment Sub profits slow down a company is going to do what it must to stay solvent.  Even if Pantheon launches with no cash shop, I would not be surprised to see one added within the first few years.  My hope is that any cash shop added can still maintain the integrity of the game iteself.

• 902 posts
    March 2, 2021 10:07 AM PST

Everyone must expect a company to make money, not least to pay the bills, pay wages and re-pay investors and the like. Then there is the cost of further development and support and advertising and a multitude of other things. 

If the game cannot make enough revenue with a sub model, it could easily stagnate and die. You either increase the sub amount (likely to alienate a number your current player base and possibly losing more than you gain), or you are forced into employing other revenue streams. Selling mercendise can help a little, but if more is needed, then out of the other possible sources of revenue that most games employ, I think a cosmetic only shop is the least offensive.

Dont get me wrong, I would prefer there not to be a cosmetic shop, but I want this game to succeed. I want the game to be invested in, now and in the future, to make it bigger and better. If that means I must view the odd person with an over-the-top pet, then so be it, as long as the game itself benefits. There are limits for me; pay to win being one of them, but I can live with a cosmetic only shop. 

• 24 posts
    March 5, 2021 7:12 AM PST

Just remember where ever a game makes its money is where they will focus most of their efforts in order to bring in more money. If it is a cash shop, it does not matter what it sells all the flashy stuff is going to be here as they want to entice people to buy stuff to make money. Now if they have a subscription then all the the flashy stuff is going to be in the game to make it as great as possible in order to bring in more people. You always focus more heavily on where you make your money. I know, I know, but without good game play people are not going to want to play said game and so the cash shop game will die at some point, well yes. Look at all the games that have gone away, they all ended with some kind of cash shop before fading into nothingness. From what I have seen the cash shop has added very little to MMOs. Companies are afraid to innovate and take chances. The big gaming companies have become very selfish and greedy as of late and the cash shop has contributed to this greed and lack of innovation. 

• 24 posts
    March 5, 2021 2:01 PM PST

I'm a little late here, but I didn't realize there was possible confirmation of a cash shop. Idc if it is cosmetic only or not, but cash shops ruin games imo. I could have swore I read something that said cash shops were not even being considered by one of the devs and they were just rumors.

Honestly though, I see nothing wrong with a cash shop, even if it sells every dropable item the game for real money, as long as it is in a clearly marked server with that ruleset and not available to any other server and no one can transfer from that server to a non cash shop server.

.think eq1 or eq2 or some game made a cash shop server and it worked out fine? 

Anywho, this is a subscription based game, don't force me to be on a cash shop server. Even if it is just cosmetic. Make a 0 cash shop server at that point, idc if those items won't be available to us even. Ngl, I have an issue spending at cash shops, which is why I quit way too many games from spending way too much money in cash shops. I'll never play a cash shop game again, idc how good it is, because it's bad for my wallet and I would definitely use it. Don't wanna put myself in that position ever again. 

Last year I spent $11,000 on Google play...

• 88 posts
    March 6, 2021 5:28 PM PST

There is no confirmation there will be a cash shop.  What has been stated is that this is a subscription based game and their desire is to keep to that.  However, if it becomes a choice in the future of shuttering the game at some point , or offering a non pay to win cash shop, then they would explore that.   At this point, this is obviously a polarizing concept, but just realize that whatever decision they make in future will be one with the best interests of keeping the game open for us all to enjoy.

This post was edited by Valheru at March 6, 2021 5:29 PM PST
    • 139 posts
    March 7, 2021 5:11 AM PST

I don't want a cosmetics shop. I like to believe players have earned their gear. 

I agree with HemlockReaper and also prefer varying subscription rates but with different options.

My options would include:

Adventuring - customer support: $10 a month
    Customer support is surprisingly expensive for a mmo.

Adventuring + crafting or Adventuring + Perception: $15 a month
    what I would expect most players to pick at first

Adventuring + crafting + perception: $20 a month
    To get the real game would be $5 more than usual but you wouldn't feel forced to.

Lore Pack +$5 a month
    Customers love rare stuff so the lore pack could include monthly one-time-only lore-related items and content. 

Home Pack +$5 a month
    More one-time-only content. 

Maybe more one-time-only content packs. 

Complete Pack $30 a month

This post was edited by Doford at March 7, 2021 5:15 AM PST
    • 37 posts
    March 7, 2021 6:50 AM PST

I'd hate for there to be items or abilities of any kind that can only be attained by paying outside of the game.  Make money on the subscriptions for the game and come out with a new set of zones every year or two; Kunark, Vellios, etc. that we'd need to buy to play.  Please don't make this something like Fortnight where I can buy Pantheon bucks to get some silly dance, armor, weapon, hairstyle or whatever.

• 1303 posts
    March 9, 2021 8:16 AM PST

@Doford - I fully disagree with your method. Its no different than a pay-to-win cash shop. Those willing to open their wallet wider get more game and more advantage. It alters the experience from one player to the next, which is the opposite of a living, breathing world in which every player stands on equal footing.