Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Live Stream 05/02 - Feedback

• 1921 posts
    May 5, 2017 8:32 AM PDT

Krixus said: ... I dislike this idea. You're basically making people at max level immune to exp loss.

No-one is immune to experience loss.  Everyone at all levels would have experience loss.  Everyone at all levels would have experience debt, too, if they die.
    If what you meant is "You're basically making people at max level immune to level loss" yes, that's the point, as per the FAQ:

7.0 Will there be a ‘death penalty’?

We want the player to respect and even fear the environment, but also to be enticed by it. A big part of achieving this balance is making sure there is an incentive to avoid death. While the details of this system are not yet fleshed out (and will likely be tweaked and changed a bit during beta), you can expect death to be something you’d rather avoid. That said, if a death penalty is too severe, it can keep players away from some of the more challenging and rewarding content, and we are keeping this in mind as well. So death will sting, but it will also not involve losing an unreasonable amount of experience, or levels, or a permanent loss of items.

Sounds like they have a reasonable approach that will gather a large enough demographic, but not turn death into a means of travel. (like many games do)
    Finally, people wouldn't be anything special at max level.  Level 2 would be the same as 49.  Once accomplished, you simply don't lose those skills or abilities, and won't be prevented from re-joining your group in that level-restricted area, should such a mechanic be employed.

No de-leveling simply solves one design issue.  That's it.  It does nothing else.  You can have all the other punitive mechanics you want, as long as that person can get back into that zone to get their rez/corpse/stuff.  If you can do that and still have de-leveling?  All good.

X

• 47 posts
    May 5, 2017 12:56 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

For buffing, if balance is an issue, just make it so that you can only buff someone that is 10 levels lower than the buff. Say it's a level 50 spell, it can only land on level 40 or higher. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it's not OK for a level 100 buff to land on a level 1 character.

Regarding item scaling, they could always use "recommended level" type mechanics where items scale down. The recommended level could be set lower than the level the item is obtained so that the obtainers always gain full power, but if it's twinked you won't get the full power. Of course, I don't mind items not being scaled back, it's just a thought. Sting and the One Ring were full power no matter who wielded them :)

When I think about latest stream, things could be better...

1. I don't mind item twinking either. I didn't like so much what I heard in latest stream regarding twinking. One thing which was really fun in EQ, was to twink your character so you at least get a head start with your new character so he is harder to kill and you can feel much stronger. It looks now they are going to nerf it "all together" and give you just a small advantage, just like in WoW, when you have much money. I am little tired of games restricting players to much. I think personally you should be able to twink just like in EQ or very close to it. I don't mind it at all, as it was very fun and rewarding to do. I actually prefer games like that. The game can't be 100% fair all the time, if it is, it will end up very boring.

2. I also really dislike when we can't help low level fellows by buffing them up with high level spells, so they can feel like heroes for an hour or two. If we can it will help the community!!!! It will also make this game stand out more compare to games like WoW, and every other games that follow that path.

3. In latest stream it looked the party only could handle like one up to two mobs at a time (don't know if those mobs from stream was of same or much higher level). It would be much more exciting if a group could handle more than that. Then battles will be more exciting and chaotic and not so static. I remember Crushbone which was chaotic when you sometimes got 4-6 mobs and you miraculous succeeded to bring them down. It's important there are more variations in the zones so it's both harder but also easier mobs which you can bring down. It's a good start VR has done, but could be much better. A normal mob of same level should be 50% chance to take down with common equipment for one player, but it didn't felt like that when looking at the stream (more like 5-10% chance). Maybe all mobs where of high level (3+ levels above).

This post was edited by Elmberry at May 5, 2017 1:04 PM PDT
    • 243 posts
    May 5, 2017 3:45 PM PDT

A bit late on my comment, but was just able to watch the streams last night.  The game seems to be coming along well, and I can second most remarks here, though I don't really care what sort of auction house ends up being in game.  I did appreciate that they listened to us (or perhaps it was simply the plan all along) when it comes to meditation.  If I am correct, I saw Joppa "gathering mana" while in a supplication pose standing up, and I believe it was Zynxs who was doing the same thing while sitting down.  The action of the blue streaks heading toward them from the environment gave purpose to them not moving.

• 106 posts
    May 7, 2017 7:17 AM PDT
    Brad was a dual wielding war and Ben was a sword and shield warrior right? I enjoy being a warrior just hate shields. I hope there's an option to switch weapons out quickly like a hot key for inventory and armor/weapon slots. That way you can switch out depending on the encounter.

I also hope that you don't have to make the choice of being either a shield warrior or not a shield warrior throughout the game
    • 6 posts
    May 7, 2017 7:53 PM PDT

Watched the stream and im impressed with how far this game has come overall.  Everything looks so much better and the characters actually move like theyre supposed to now.  That leads to my single question here:

Are the devs still using a lot of placeholders during their game development and game play streams?  It still looks like a lot of things are missing and incomplete but i remember watching a stream long long ago that they stated that many placeholders were being used.

Gameplay first and graphics last is pretty much the way i understood it.

• 2752 posts
    May 7, 2017 8:26 PM PDT

Most things are still early iterations or placeholders right now I think, as far as models and animations go.

• 279 posts
    May 7, 2017 8:37 PM PDT
    Brad was a war wizard, a class specifically made for him not for PCs

Not sure if that means warriors will or will not be able to dual wield.
    • 279 posts
    May 7, 2017 8:37 PM PDT
    Brad was a war wizard, a class specifically made for him not for PCs

Not sure if that means warriors will or will not be able to dual wield.