Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How will Pantheon include players with little time to play?

• 3016 posts
    July 13, 2016 11:49 AM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

I  feel like to create that good ol' EQ feeling or that good ol' VG feeling they have to aim this MMO in the direction of a 'virtual world'. 'Living' in a virtual world meant you spent time in it and I honestly don't know how they are going to create that feeling with aiming at a '2 hour play time can make you feel like you accomplished something' goal. Imo, if you only got 1 hour and some change maybe this type of game isn't for you. And by 'type of game' I don't mean Pantheon specifically, I mean an MMO aimed at being a virtual world because I just don't know how they can make a game catered to people with little time and still make it feel like a virtual world. The two principles just seem to clash and not mix well at all.

I don't understand why VRi wants to bring back that 'sticky' feeling of a virtual world if they don't plan on having people spend time in it. And I don't understand why people want the fun and glory of EQ and VG but don't want to spend the time doing it. I'm not trying to offend at all so please don't mistake me for saying that. I just feel like the reason why EQ and VG were great was BECAUSE you could literally lose yourself and spend hours in those worlds/games. That's why they were fun. But a lot of what I hear from both the devs and players is that we don't have that kind of time to play any more and they are going to try and create Pantheon to accomodate for that. The ideas just seem to oppose each other and I'm highly curious as to how they handle this.

Can still do other things like crafting (if you're into that)  small quests (however those are set up)  Make your play day for larger endeavours,  on the weekend.   Doubt they want a bunch of easy-mode map clicking going on to get somewhere.   You miss the virtual world that was built for you that way.    Exploration is another...plus probably building a house?, a boat? (could do that in Vanguard)  achieves??? treasure hunting for collectibles..social chatting...whatever you want I think.   I will probably spend my time helping my guild bank (if we have those) fill up with needed materials.   I'm a hoarder by nature, save EVERYTHING hehe.  It's all about what you figure you can do with the time you have.  Would plan it out myself..

• 3016 posts
    July 13, 2016 11:52 AM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

I  feel like to create that good ol' EQ feeling or that good ol' VG feeling they have to aim this MMO in the direction of a 'virtual world'. 'Living' in a virtual world meant you spent time in it and I honestly don't know how they are going to create that feeling with aiming at a '2 hour play time can make you feel like you accomplished something' goal. Imo, if you only got 1 hour and some change maybe this type of game isn't for you. And by 'type of game' I don't mean Pantheon specifically, I mean an MMO aimed at being a virtual world because I just don't know how they can make a game catered to people with little time and still make it feel like a virtual world. The two principles just seem to clash and not mix well at all.

I don't understand why VRi wants to bring back that 'sticky' feeling of a virtual world if they don't plan on having people spend time in it. And I don't understand why people want the fun and glory of EQ and VG but don't want to spend the time doing it. I'm not trying to offend at all so please don't mistake me for saying that. I just feel like the reason why EQ and VG were great was BECAUSE you could literally lose yourself and spend hours in those worlds/games. That's why they were fun. But a lot of what I hear from both the devs and players is that we don't have that kind of time to play any more and they are going to try and create Pantheon to accomodate for that. The ideas just seem to oppose each other and I'm highly curious as to how they handle this.

Yep agree, I want to go get lost and have to find my way out by remembering landmarks in that zone I am in.   I want to explore and climb that mysterious mountain I can see in the distance.   Try my hand at camping some mob that I think might drop some nice boots.    Teach myself about my surroundings so I don't get surprised by a large group of orcs..etc.

• 671 posts
    July 13, 2016 12:33 PM PDT

Pantheon is a high fantasy story world (Played out as a role playing game). It will have hard and steadfast rules & game mechanics, but in the end it is an open world of endless adventure and stories and experiences. Everyones Character's role, is undefined...  and each person must grow with that character over time. You can not remove time from the equation, it is the great equalizer... every tick counts. The persons who learns this (every tick counts) become the masters.

Subsequently, if One is not there to enjoy the high-fantasy world as often as another, then they will have less experience in that world. Would know less of that world, would have less experience within that world. That is no less the difference when reading a novel or a series of books & those who have more time to read more.... know more! And experience the story world more. (Think of a dune series, or Terry Brooks series, or even a Game of Thrones.)

You can't have more, by doing less. You have to earn the "more" just like everyone else did... time invested into their Character = more.

If you can only do short stunts of time, as opposed to long runs, then you will learn to be efficient with your time, and whom you group with. But that does not mean you have to be any less accomplished, just at a slower rate/pace as others.

I don't think anybody will really care about any of this (one's own level), once playing and they are all wrapped up in the wonderment of Pantheon. You'll find like-minded friends and they will grow with you.