Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Epic quest lines

• 1095 posts
    February 23, 2016 5:49 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Leave the name calling, personal attacks and immaturity out of these threads please, I do not want to be forced to go through and delete attacking posts, this community is better than that. If you do not agree with something someone says, either counter it with a mature reply or ignore it and leave it for someone else, you are not obligated or forced to respond to every opinion that you do not agree with, take a breath, relax and move on, it's not the end of the world.

I will not continue to warn about this either, further action will be taken if people cannot abide by the forum guidelines which can be found here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1595/pantheon-developer-forum-guidelines

This is what ran thru my mind reading this and thinking of Kilsin.

This post was edited by Aich at February 23, 2016 5:52 PM PST
    • 671 posts
    February 24, 2016 8:58 PM PST

Liav said:

Hieromonk lives in a fantasy world.

He has an extremely distorted view of how EQ actually was early on, and an extremely distorted/unsubstantiated view of what Pantheon is going to be. It really isn't worth replying to his walls of texts at this point. I'm having a difficult time telling if he's just trolling or if he actually believes some of the things he's saying.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wiki is loaded with information less than a month after Pantheon's release. There's nothing you can do about it. Just let it happen.

shh bb is ok

Perhaps you should read this:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/174/old-ideas-and-features-to-address-potential-problems... posted by Brad 2 days ago.

Liav I have mentioned many times, you are welcome to post your ideas, or debate mine. But, your character assassinations are a futile attempt and take each thread off coarse. I have already stated I can back my mechanics up, yet they are never challenged.

We are all friends here. 

btw kalgore, nobody was debating what happend on your server. or, even how info or quests happened back then... that is the past and used as history to further gain knowledge from, not to live in the past and stake a claim on. Answer my questions for once..  WOULD YOU, or would you not... pass guild secrets on to the open community...? Even when you guild thinks they are months ahead of the next nearest guild on that particular quest...   the rest of the community is waiting for your response. (To see what type of player YOU are).

I am also the current Guild Leader of < Pantheon's Rise > on the EQ server Phinny. In which many of the Forums members here joined, to combat our boredom while we wait for Pantheon's Alpha invites..

This post was edited by Hieromonk at February 24, 2016 9:00 PM PST
    • 671 posts
    February 24, 2016 9:07 PM PST

Gawd said:

Epics are nice, but the thing i remember most about the epics is that not all epics were  created equal. some were much harder to obtain than others. like the mage epic vs cleric epic. mage epic was really hard because of the Pegasus Feathercloak, i mean really why make a piece of gear with such a useful function like levi All/All and put it on a mob so hard to find and kill with an abominable drop rate?

so i would like to see epics use items that are only useable by the class, or that arent useful to others to loot. especially on those hard to find mobs. yes the epic should be hard, but the thing that is making it hard should not be because everyone and thier brother is killing the mobs you need for the epic because they find the quest piece usefull for themselves.

also i would like to see the raid mobs needed for the epics be triggered encounters. like if i take the orb of everlasting light to the tower of darkness and run it to the top placing it on the pedestal then the yinyang wizard of doom that my summoner needs to finish his epic should spawn. and there should Always be the quest item on the wizard. or the orb of light would transform or something like that.

so basically what i would like to see for epics is the following:

1. a successful epic raid always drops the epic piece.

2. randomized loot table on the epic mob. (helpers should be rewarded)

3. raids can be triggered by the person on the quest when they get to that point. no need to wait for the raid mob to respawn.

4. epics should always be useful. these things are epic, how epic can they be if they get replaced after a couple expansions.

5. epics should be eternallly hard to get. it should be impossible to outlevel the quest and trivialize it. (like myself two boxing ragefire for the cleric epic at level 65)

PS. i had much fun on my cleric linking the cloak to mages that i knew were still trying to get it for thier epics....

What if an "Epic" wasnt always a weapon...?   But, a new substantial ability, or the abilty to use your wepons in a new way. (epic = grandmaster..?)

Go on, play with the idea...

• 2130 posts
    February 24, 2016 9:28 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

What if an "Epic" wasnt always a weapon...?   But, a new substantial ability, or the abilty to use your wepons in a new way. (epic = grandmaster..?)

I mean, it's interesting and all, but epic weapons are much more fun to look at than an ability nobody sees.

After epics became irrelevant in EQ2 they put in a quest to convert the weapon into a buff, but it was still cooler when it was actually a weapon.

• 671 posts
    February 24, 2016 10:50 PM PST

Again, I think it depends on the class and how the LORE is written into them gaining their new epic ability (mentioned above).

Heck, what if the Wizard's epic journey ended in him having a perminant shieldskin/aura that absorbed large amounts of dmg..  and recharged at a nice rate. Not really making that Wizard more potent, but less of a burden, or liability or concern for groups and raids, or themselves.

• 428 posts
    February 25, 2016 8:30 AM PST

Hieromonk said:

Liav said:

Hieromonk lives in a fantasy world.

He has an extremely distorted view of how EQ actually was early on, and an extremely distorted/unsubstantiated view of what Pantheon is going to be. It really isn't worth replying to his walls of texts at this point. I'm having a difficult time telling if he's just trolling or if he actually believes some of the things he's saying.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wiki is loaded with information less than a month after Pantheon's release. There's nothing you can do about it. Just let it happen.

shh bb is ok

Perhaps you should read this:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/174/old-ideas-and-features-to-address-potential-problems... posted by Brad 2 days ago.

Liav I have mentioned many times, you are welcome to post your ideas, or debate mine. But, your character assassinations are a futile attempt and take each thread off coarse. I have already stated I can back my mechanics up, yet they are never challenged.

We are all friends here. 

btw kalgore, nobody was debating what happend on your server. or, even how info or quests happened back then... that is the past and used as history to further gain knowledge from, not to live in the past and stake a claim on. Answer my questions for once..  WOULD YOU, or would you not... pass guild secrets on to the open community...? Even when you guild thinks they are months ahead of the next nearest guild on that particular quest...   the rest of the community is waiting for your response. (To see what type of player YOU are).

I am also the current Guild Leader of < Pantheon's Rise > on the EQ server Phinny. In which many of the Forums members here joined, to combat our boredom while we wait for Pantheon's Alpha invites..

Again this wasnt my server the paladin COMMUNTITY shared the inforamtion across every server same with wizzies bard and warriors.  The Us Government cant even keep ther emost top secret stuff from being leaked you better belieive every step will be published in days as people make real world money on those websites.

sharing quest information isnt a guild secret things like Raid timers and raid strats you spend the time figuring out is.  Im also franly not very worried about ther est of the community I have also been on of the best crusaders in all the MMO I have played I will be in this game as well which means I will find a top guild to join regardless of impression.

• 2130 posts
    February 25, 2016 8:54 AM PST

I understand that epics don't necessarily have to be a weapon and that the effects can be really cool. I still think it takes away from the game to not have a very obvious visual representation of your accomplishment when it comes to epic quests. Weapons are a solid way to convey that. Abilities just are not as cool.

• 383 posts
    February 25, 2016 9:46 AM PST

Hieromonk said:

I would be for epic quests that wasn't just a weapon reward. Maybe a rare item or trinket, new ability etc would all be cool with me. Especially if it was lore driven. Maybe even epic quests that aren't class specific and can only be done a certain number of times before it can't be done any longer. Some people would feel left out, though... it would make lore in of itself. 

• 2130 posts
    February 25, 2016 9:51 AM PST

Niien said:

I would be for epic quests that wasn't just a weapon reward. Maybe a rare item or trinket, new ability etc would all be cool with me. Especially if it was lore driven. Maybe even epic quests that aren't class specific and can only be done a certain number of times before it can't be done any longer. Some people would feel left out, though... it would make lore in of itself. 

Please no. Limited things like this just drive people to cheat, exploit, or quit their jobs to play the game 20 hours a day to succeed. Things that give gameplay advantages should be something that everyone is capable of doing when they reach the tier of gameplay. Otherwise, it's no better than just paying money for gameplay advantages. The logic being that these types of things only reward people who literally dedicate their life to the game.

• 383 posts
    February 25, 2016 10:09 AM PST

Liav said:

Niien said:

Please no. Limited things like this just drive people to cheat, exploit, or quit their jobs to play the game 20 hours a day to succeed. Things that give gameplay advantages should be something that everyone is capable of doing when they reach the tier of gameplay. Otherwise, it's no better than just paying money for gameplay advantages. The logic being that these types of things only reward people who literally dedicate their life to the game.

Time vested and dedication comes with rewards, I'm not sure I see the problem here. Some people never finished their epic weapons, no one is forcing them to do anything they don't want to do. This isn't a pvp game and doesn't matter nearly as much in my opinion. Just a few people might be running around with some unique items that no one else has. I'm not asking for an "I win button", I'm asking for lore driven epic quests that have a finite number of completions that makes sense with the lore.

On the note of someone quiting their job... it's their choice if they quit their job to play a video game and if they are that irresponsible no one can help them. Do you know of someone who quit their job to play a video game? Now taking vacation... that's a different story all together and I have certainly done that to play a game on release. 

• 2130 posts
    February 25, 2016 10:24 AM PST

Niien said:

Time vested and dedication comes with rewards, I'm not sure I see the problem here. Some people never finished their epic weapons, no one is forcing them to do anything they don't want to do. This isn't a pvp game and doesn't matter nearly as much in my opinion. Just a few people might be running around with some unique items that no one else has. I'm not asking for an "I win button", I'm asking for lore driven epic quests that have a finite number of completions that makes sense with the lore.

On the note of someone quiting their job... it's their choice if they quit their job to play a video game and if they are that irresponsible no one can help them. Do you know of someone who quit their job to play a video game? Now taking vacation... that's a different story all together and I have certainly done that to play a game on release. 

I think there's an important distinction between playing a game and being rewarded for your time and dedication, and rewarding people who literally do nothing with their life except play. What you're suggesting invariably rewards no-lifers and I don't want to be forced to play the game all day every day to have a competitive edge.

It's simply unreasonable. Even EQ wasn't that unreasonable.

This post was edited by Liav at February 25, 2016 10:24 AM PST
    • 383 posts
    February 25, 2016 10:34 AM PST

Liav said:

Niien said:

I think there's an important distinction between playing a game and being rewarded for your time and dedication, and rewarding people who literally do nothing with their life except play. What you're suggesting invariably rewards no-lifers and I don't want to be forced to play the game all day every day to have a competitive edge.

It's simply unreasonable. Even EQ wasn't that unreasonable.

I wouldn't consider people who work from home or work odd schedules where they do a week on and a week off, or even streamers who may get paid to stream gaming to be "no-lifers" due to them being able to be online for long periods of time.

I'm not one of those people who could spend all day online gaming, however what I'm proposing is something that could help build in game lore. I would also add that from my personal experience gaming, whenver I saw someone with a cool item that I liked I wanted to know where it was from and how they got it. It wasn't always possible for me to get the item due to it being from a past event or something along that nature, however I didn't seem to mind too much. Though it did make me want to play the game, get better, make friends, and attain my own equally cool item. 

What I'm proposing happens in games all the time now. From holiday events or just items that no longer exist. EQ had it in the form of manastones and the like, wow had it in the form the Ivory Raptor and other items that no longer drop and can not be traded. So it's nothing new to the MMO community. There just wasn't any epic lore based quests associated with them. 

• 2130 posts
    February 25, 2016 10:38 AM PST

Niien said:

wouldn't consider people who work from home or work odd schedules where they do a week on and a week off, or even streamers who may get paid to stream gaming to be "no-lifers" due to them being able to be online for long periods of time.

I'm not one of those people who could spend all day online gaming, however what I'm proposing is something that could help build in game lore. I would also add that from my personal experience gaming, whenver I saw someone with a cool item that I liked I wanted to know where it was from and how they got it. It wasn't always possible for me to get the item due to it being from a past event or something along that nature, however I didn't seem to mind too much. Though it did make me want to play the game, get better, make friends, and attain my own equally cool item. 

What I'm proposing happens in games all the time now. From holiday events or just items that no longer exist. EQ had it in the form of manastones and the like, wow had it in the form the Ivory Raptor and other items that no longer drop and can not be traded. So it's nothing new to the MMO community. There just wasn't any epic lore based quests associated with them. 

You're categorically mistaken.

There are exclusive items from events and such, but they generally don't offer a gameplay advantage. They're generally aesthetic in nature. EQ is literally the only game I know of that had items like this that offered gameplay advantages and were "exclusive". I think it's one of the major things EQ did wrong.

Offering a limited number of game changing items is something completely different from what you're considering.

There are a million ways to build game lore, and the way you're suggesting is not among what I would consider a good way to do that.

• 383 posts
    February 25, 2016 11:50 AM PST

Liav said:

Niien said:

wouldn't consider people who work from home or work odd schedules where they do a week on and a week off, or even streamers who may get paid to stream gaming to be "no-lifers" due to them being able to be online for long periods of time.

You're categorically mistaken.

There are exclusive items from events and such, but they generally don't offer a gameplay advantage. They're generally aesthetic in nature. EQ is literally the only game I know of that had items like this that offered gameplay advantages and were "exclusive". I think it's one of the major things EQ did wrong.

Offering a limited number of game changing items is something completely different from what you're considering.

There are a million ways to build game lore, and the way you're suggesting is not among what I would consider a good way to do that.

Not sure what you mean by "categorically" (maybe used in the wrong context?). My examples are not unqulified or absolute. 

Also not sure where you got "game changing" either as I never stated such. Please let's debate about the facts I presented and not what you're interpreting my posts to mean. If they are unclear please ask questions to clarity without making assumptions. 

Some of the items I referred to might not offer a game play advantage now, however they did when they were lootable items. They were most likely removed due to being overpowered or unbalanced. However I believe a limited number of items with an epic quest attached to it as a requirement wouldn't offset the balance of the world. Again I wasn't asking for any god mode items. They would be long drawn out quests that could provide a unique weapon, piece of armor, or even a cosmetic aura. The items could be comparable or slightly above what may be available via normal named monster drops. They could have a unique design etc.

• 2130 posts
    February 25, 2016 11:56 AM PST

Niien said:

Not sure what you mean by "categorically" (maybe used in the wrong context?). My examples are not unqulified or absolute. 

Also not sure where you got "game changing" either as I never stated such. Please let's debate about the facts I presented and not what you're interpreting my posts to mean. If they are unclear please ask questions to clarity without making assumptions. 

Some of the items I referred to might not offer a game play advantage now, however they did when they were lootable items. They were most likely removed due to being overpowered or unbalanced. However I believe a limited number of items with an epic quest attached to it as a requirement wouldn't offset the balance of the world. Again I wasn't asking for any god mode items. They would be long drawn out quests that could provide a unique weapon, piece of armor, or even a cosmetic aura. The items could be comparable or slightly above what may be available via normal named monster drops. They could have a unique design etc.

Epics are by definition game changing. You're "categorically" wrong because cosmetic items with limited availability that don't affect gameplay are not the same as items that do affect gameplay.

What sense is there in making epics weaker? What sense is there in making epics limited in availability at all? I don't even see why we're discussing this to begin with.

• 383 posts
    February 25, 2016 12:40 PM PST

Liav said:

Niien said:

Epics are by definition game changing. You're "categorically" wrong because cosmetic items with limited availability that don't affect gameplay are not the same as items that do affect gameplay.

What sense is there in making epics weaker? What sense is there in making epics limited in availability at all? I don't even see why we're discussing this to begin with.

I would beg to differ as that's what I believe you perceive them to be and that is your opinion and right to believe. And for the record by definition epic: a long poem, typically one derived from ancient oral tradition, narrating the deeds and adventures of heroic or legendary figures or the history of a nation. Based on your logic any item that you pick up that is better than the item you already have is affects your gameplay. So is every item upgrade an epic? I think your logic is flawed there. 

How do you define "game changing"? Game changing to me would mean that with said item someone could do something they weren't able to do previously with any other item/skill. Though most of the "epic" weapons don't seem to do that. They are better than the other items, however they are not required at all. If they were so game changing everyone would have them and everyone would be using them and there would be no other reason to have any other item in place of the epic item. 

I was not asking to make epics weaker, I believe you are making assumptions again.

I mearly stated "I would be for epic quests that wasn't just a weapon reward. Maybe a rare item or trinket, new ability etc would all be cool with me. Especially if it was lore driven. Maybe even epic quests that aren't class specific and can only be done a certain number of times before it can't be done any longer."

I never mentioned anything about "game changing" items or making "epics" any weaker. We could call the item an item... it could still take a rather epic quest to attain the item and still be well within the game limits and not be "game changing" in my opinion. 

This post was edited by Niien at February 25, 2016 12:40 PM PST
    • 2130 posts
    February 25, 2016 1:00 PM PST

Basically you don't seem familiar enough with a lot of the terminology I'm using. I don't feel like having a semantics debate so I'm just going to drop this.

• 10 posts
    February 25, 2016 4:48 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

Exactly this.  I don't think we should be limiting our thoughts to weapons being the only form of epics.

I know there are plenty of Vanguard players out here.  Does nobody remember the Griffon mount quest?

I for one found the eventual receipt of my Griffon to be WAY more rewarding than getting my epic weapons.  I felt like a total badass when I finally got it.

I also think we could have epic tools for crafting, armour, heck...even jewellery.  It wasn't an epic, but I seem to remember being able to go get an item which turned you into a skeleton.  Why not be able to get jewellery and armour pieces with special effects and capabilities?

Weapons are not the only thing I want to quest to find!

• 2130 posts
    February 25, 2016 4:52 PM PST

It seems like we're just throwing the word epic around until it loses all meaning.

A list of things that "epics" in RPGs generally are:

• Class specific
    • Significantly game altering for the class in question
    • Irreplaceable within the era
    • Generally a weapon

Quests are all find and dandy but having a dozen different epic quests basically defeats the purpose.

• 76 posts
    February 25, 2016 4:58 PM PST

Liav said:

It seems like we're just throwing the word epic around until it loses all meaning.

• Class specific
    • Generally a weapon

Quests are all find and dandy but having a dozen different epic quests basically defeats the purpose.

i agree with you on this one, i feel the weapons have the most impact.

At least prehaps for me anyway, getting new spells and skills felt good but getting a new weapon always felt like an earth shattering deal esp at end game.

• 10 posts
    February 25, 2016 5:07 PM PST

Akailo said:

Liav said:

• Class specific
    • Generally a weapon

At least prehaps for me anyway, getting new spells and skills felt good but getting a new weapon always felt like an earth shattering deal esp at end game.

True, I think I was perhaps a bit cavalier with my use of the phrase.  That said, I don't think that an epic needs to be class specific.  

True, almost everything that can significantly change the game for your play must, out of necessity, be class specific.  However allow me to provide a couple example of other items which could easily be as earth shattering in terms of changing your gameplay if they are introduced appropriately:

1) Items which provide levitation, single-elemental immunities, or other absolute non-class abilities

2) Significantly superior mounts - I return to the Griffon mount from Vanguard (and if you don't think that was an epic quest, then please explain why not).

I agree, the weapons always feel like a big deal, especially at end game - I'm just saying we shouldn't be so limited in our thinking.

There's a lot out there that would significantly change the way you play.

• 76 posts
    February 25, 2016 5:15 PM PST

IndecentMonk said:

Akailo said:

Liav said:

• Class specific
    • Generally a weapon

True, I think I was perhaps a bit cavalier with my use of the phrase.  That said, I don't think that an epic needs to be class specific.  

True, almost everything that can significantly change the game for your play must, out of necessity, be class specific.  However allow me to provide a couple example of other items which could easily be as earth shattering in terms of changing your gameplay if they are introduced appropriately:

1) Items which provide levitation, single-elemental immunities, or other absolute non-class abilities

2) Significantly superior mounts - I return to the Griffon mount from Vanguard (and if you don't think that was an epic quest, then please explain why not).

I agree, the weapons always feel like a big deal, especially at end game - I'm just saying we shouldn't be so limited in our thinking.

There's a lot out there that would significantly change the way you play.

well there was one thing i loved about everquest 2's epic quests. it was that you got a weapon yes but you got a class based buff to go along with it. 

so even if you outleveled the weapon in the next expantion you would always feel the power you got from the thing.

(yeah i know some folks didn't like eq2 but it did some things well )

• 2130 posts
    February 25, 2016 5:26 PM PST

Akailo said:

well there was one thing i loved about everquest 2's epic quests. it was that you got a weapon yes but you got a class based buff to go along with it. 

so even if you outleveled the weapon in the next expantion you would always feel the power you got from the thing.

(yeah i know some folks didn't like eq2 but it did some things well )

Yeah, and Vanguard did something similar as well where the epic/effect itself is actually a rune that gets put into any endgame weapon, and the weapon inherits the appearance/effect of the epic. I think both systems are viable, I just think that a very clear visual indicator that someone has their epic is pretty much a necessity.

• 208 posts
    February 25, 2016 5:37 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

I like this idea. It's why i really like Project Gorgon. Hunting for skills can be just as rewarding as hunting for weapons. 

• 76 posts
    February 25, 2016 5:40 PM PST

Bluefyre said:

Hieromonk said:

I like this idea. It's why i really like Project Gorgon. Hunting for skills can be just as rewarding as hunting for weapons. 

The thing is in the FAQ they already said they were doing this

"In MMOs it is common to find rare items out in the world, by adventuring or by crafting, but abilities and spells are more often learned from trainers or even just given to player when his or her character levels up. In Pantheon, however, many of the more rare and exotic spells and abilities are found not at the local trainer but from a wise sage hiding in the depths of a dungeon or at the top of a remote tower." 

so i would asume that the epic quests are seprate from a rare spell found deep in a dungeon.