Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Epic quest lines

• 9115 posts
    February 11, 2016 1:53 AM PST

In the FAQ, are the answers you seek, all you have to do, is take a peek!

Will there be many quests?

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/#q28

Story and lore elements are essential to our Quest system – they need to be meaningful and give purpose. But as a player you should never feel overwhelmed with a bunch of quests that are nothing but mundane tasks. When you get a quest the intent is that it will be epic in nature and reinforce the fact that you are a resurrected hero. More specifically, Pantheon is not a ‘quest hub’ game, where you move to one level appropriate hub, do a bunch of quests in that area, and then move to the next hub; rather, you will need to search out and find quests by interacting with PCs and in a less linear and more ‘sandbox’ style setting.

Will there be ‘epic’ quests?

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/#q29

Absolutely. Some of the most memorable gaming experiences stem from the adventure involved in obtaining and earning ‘epic’ weapons and items. These quests should be class defining moments and fill you with a major sense of accomplishment when completed. Whether hunting for clues to start a quest or trying to figure out the right thing to say or do in order to get to the next step, epic quests will be a significant social component of the game.

• 610 posts
    February 11, 2016 5:37 AM PST

Kalgore said:

Goregod666 said:

Kalgore said:

Goregod666 said:

"It sucks when you're in that situation, but if everybody could get it, it wouldn't be epic, would it? Your circumstance is exactly what made the epic rewards in EQ so amazing." 

I get what you're saying but when its beyond ridiculously hard and the amount of time I spent even trying to get it and still couldn't is a real downer and makes you not want to keep playing.  Which I did eventually stop playing EverQuest and moved on to other games.  Not entirely because I couldn't get it but its all I wanted and tried to get and came up empty.  Eventually, you get extremely frustrated and give up.

Make it tough and make it epic but not to the point where there is possibility I might never even get the freaking thing.

I'm not asking for instant gratification like a lot of games out there but when I'm putting real money towards something...I expect to eventually get what I'm paying for if you know what I mean.

I bought a movie ticket...now I get to watch the movie.  Bad example lol, but I think you understand.

This is a horrible outlook and really seems like has driven MMO to what they are now.  "Im paying money I deserve this". Nothing is impossible to get but if you dont take the effor tot joina guild capable of taking down those needed raid mobs thats on you not the game.

I think you're not quite understanding me.  I just said I'm not asking for instant gratification and it should be handed to me on a silver platter.  I'm simply saying, can you make it fun and epic but not hard to the point where I may never even complete the adventurous quest and obtain the weapon...

I don't see how anybody could disagree with me on this...

I was in a guild capable of doing raids, I put tons of time and effort into getting it...but never did.  It was depressing to see other shadowknights running around with their epics.

You made it sound like I'm for pay2win games...you are way off base heh.

No I'm not off base the quests wernt impossible they were hard if some people cant do it thats the point of it being one of the best items in the game.  It would mean nothing if everyone could get it.  The whole point of an Epic quest line is only a few might actully get the item regardless how long they tried.  It amounts to the same as a particpation trophy and says oh you tried for a long time here you go.  No one really wants those.

The quest werent that hard, the part that sucked was the RNG...I helped a Wizard friend of my on Phinny about 15 times for his epic drop...he never did get it

I mean really how rare was that drop? then in a raid you would have 3 or 4 wizzys ready to roll / dkp it. Sorry truth is you could be in the best of guilds and still lose out on the RNG and not get the epic until it was pretty much old news...unless of course you were a cleric, then by all the gods of the pantheon your guild did all they could to get you the drops, SK or Necro....eh maybe some day

• 308 posts
    February 11, 2016 8:31 AM PST

Personally, i would like to see epic quests implemented in a way that's kind of a combination of EQ1 and Daoc.  You start the epic quest at low level and get a new quest or quest line every few levels and maybe get a level appropriate gear as a reward with the epic quest line culminating with a special class weapon (EQ1) or starter set of armor at max level (Daoc).  For example (just using arbitrary numbering):

• Level 4 - Intro to your class epic line quest (some small gear reward, that won't be good enough to last for more than a few levels, or something else) - solo or group
    • level 8 - becoming an apprentice in your class quest (same as above) - solo or group
    • level 12 - becoming proficient in your class quest (same as above) - solo or group
    • level 14 - becoming a journeyman in your class quest (same as above) - solo or group
    • level 16 - becoming an adept quest (same as above) - solo or group
    • upon achieving max level - becoming a master level quest - require a group or more to complete this quest line, provide a meaningful reward but not close to best in slot, maybe a piece of gear(s) relevent to a brand new max level toon.
    • upon completing your master level quest - you now begin you epic trials - this requires group and raid to complete culminating with a true epic weapon or something.

I always like the idea of the epics as a story telling mechanism, a journey you went through as you leveled up. 

• 671 posts
    February 11, 2016 8:41 AM PST

I don't think there will be laid-out, class specific "epic quests" in Pantheon.

I think from the moment you roll your Character and begin on your path in Terminus...  is when your epic quests starts.

• 428 posts
    February 11, 2016 8:41 AM PST

Reht said:

Personally, i would like to see epic quests implemented in a way that's kind of a combination of EQ1 and Daoc.  You start the epic quest at low level and get a new quest or quest line every few levels and maybe get a level appropriate gear as a reward with the epic quest line culminating with a special class weapon (EQ1) or starter set of armor at max level (Daoc).  For example (just using arbitrary numbering):

• Level 4 - Intro to your class epic line quest (some small gear reward, that won't be good enough to last for more than a few levels, or something else) - solo or group
    • level 8 - becoming an apprentice in your class quest (same as above) - solo or group
    • level 12 - becoming proficient in your class quest (same as above) - solo or group
    • level 14 - becoming a journeyman in your class quest (same as above) - solo or group
    • upon achieving max level - becoming a master level quest - require a group or more to complete this quest line, provide a meaningful reward but not close to best in slot, maybe a piece of gear(s) relevent to a brand new max level toon.
    • upon completing your master level quest - you now begin you epic trials - this requires group and raid to complete culminating with a true epic weapon or something.

I always like the idea of the epics as a story telling mechanism, a journey you went through as you leveled up. 

This would be amazing.  Maybe give them a choice at start a Weapon or a piece of armor.  If you chose crusader you could follow in the footsteps of the greatest crusader in history and learn her story etc etc 

• 132 posts
    February 11, 2016 9:43 AM PST

I think Epics should be a mix of solo and group and guild.

Like I can go camp a ground spawn in the Silent plains by myslef. or if a quest giver just needed me to get 4 key items that I need to take back for part of the turn in. I should be able to do that solo etc. 

I might get another piece from The broken maw while grouped. 

I will need a guild and a raid in Tasrin's Gaze for another piece. 

Epics should Not be soloable no matter what. Epics are Epics. Not a WoW -" i pay, therefore I am entitled  "

Casuals should not be rewarded with Epics. If you are in a guild, they should help you if you help others get theirs. That's just the way it should be. 

I helped 10 clerics get their epics in EQ before I got mine. And i was happy to help everyone get what they needed. I even helped people not in my guild. It was a great way to make new friends. 

• 1778 posts
    February 11, 2016 9:50 AM PST
    I of course will always support mixed/varied approaches. The more complex and different the better. Be it endgame or anything else.
    • 308 posts
    February 11, 2016 9:57 AM PST

Hieromonk said:

I think from the moment you roll your Character and begin on your path in Terminus...  is when your epic quests starts.

I could be wrong, but the FAQ Kilsin linked to kind of implies they will be but we really don't know for sure.......

Absolutely. Some of the most memorable gaming experiences stem from the adventure involved in obtaining and earning ‘epic’ weapons and items. These quests should be class defining moments and fill you with a major sense of accomplishment when completed. Whether hunting for clues to start a quest or trying to figure out the right thing to say or do in order to get to the next step, epic quests will be a significant social component of the game.

• 116 posts
    February 11, 2016 10:08 AM PST

Reht said:

A good example of quests that follow you as you level up were the headband/sash/shackles monk quests. I loved those.

• 9115 posts
    February 11, 2016 7:11 PM PST

Reht said:

Hieromonk said:

I could be wrong, but the FAQ Kilsin linked to kind of implies they will be but we really don't know for sure.......

You are correct mate, we will have epic quests and we will be putting the "epic" back in them! There may even be multiple epic quests ;)

• 428 posts
    February 12, 2016 8:11 AM PST

LOVE IT

• 671 posts
    February 12, 2016 8:24 AM PST

Reht said:

Hieromonk said:

Bro.. there will not be some website that you will be going to, who has an Epic Quest LAID OUT for you in Pantheon. That comes years later when people finally release their secrets & hidden info...  and fill the Allakhazam data base. So that the WoW crowd can come on board and follow the dangling carrots leaft behind by the first gen players. The path might be "laid out" for the second generation of people comming into Pantheon, not the first wave.

So you may have already talked to the Quest giver for a certain quest, and not even know it.... because you didn't pay attention the the text. You didn't listen the NPC or pick up on his story, or catch the clues in the quest.

Not to knit pick on you, but You think Pantheon is going to be an action adventure of connect the dots and rush here.. and rush there...? 

But how are you even going to find this info, when all the othe guilds are hiding what they find to themselves..? So How..?  The vanguards who are out the remote parts of the Terminus finding NPCs to talk too, are the Players cracking these quests. After all their cunning & work, they are not ignorantly going to shout out their finding in OOC. It is kept hidden and worth millions if your group solves the riddle first, etc.

This post was edited by Hieromonk at February 12, 2016 8:28 AM PST
    • 428 posts
    February 12, 2016 8:45 AM PST

Hieromonk said:

Reht said:

Hieromonk said:

Bro.. there will not be some website that you will be going to, who has an Epic Quest LAID OUT for you in Pantheon. That comes years later when people finally release their secrets & hidden info...  and fill the Allakhazam data base. So that the WoW crowd can come on board and follow the dangling carrots leaft behind by the first gen players. The path might be "laid out" for the second generation of people comming into Pantheon, not the first wave.

So you may have already talked to the Quest giver for a certain quest, and not even know it.... because you didn't pay attention the the text. You didn't listen the NPC or pick up on his story, or catch the clues in the quest.

Not to knit pick on you, but You think Pantheon is going to be an action adventure of connect the dots and rush here.. and rush there...? 

But how are you even going to find this info, when all the othe guilds are hiding what they find to themselves..? So How..?  The vanguards who are out the remote parts of the Terminus finding NPCs to talk too, are the Players cracking these quests. After all their cunning & work, they are not ignorantly going to shout out their finding in OOC. It is kept hidden and worth millions if your group solves the riddle first, etc.

Yah okay the day after it gets completed it will be posted online for everyone to read.  Sorry if you think otherwise but the same thing happens for raid mobs and other quests as well

• 1778 posts
    February 12, 2016 9:17 AM PST
    What Kalgore said for one. But also if its not really high end contested content. Even if people put in a lot of effort I would think with the social nature of this game people would be all to happy to help others. I know I probably would.

Random guy asks "Hey bro where did you get the wand of doom?"

I say "I got it from x doing y and z. Send me a /tell if you need any help".

You know......... that whole community thing everyone is always talking about.

@Kilsin
    Sounds delicious man. Csnt wait to sink my teeth in.
    • 428 posts
    February 12, 2016 9:40 AM PST

Amsai said: What Kalgore said for one. But also if its not really high end contested content. Even if people put in a lot of effort I would think with the social nature of this game people would be all to happy to help others. I know I probably would. Random guy asks "Hey bro where did you get the wand of doom?" I say "I got it from x doing y and z. Send me a /tell if you need any help". You know......... that whole community thing everyone is always talking about. @Kilsin Sounds delicious man. Csnt wait to sink my teeth in.

Hell me and 7 other Paladins form different servers figured out ours and 5 minutes after the first one was looted there was a walkthrough on the everquest forums on exactly what to do.

And I agree with Amsai anytime anyone asked me about a piece of gear I told them or even grouped and lead them around for part of it

• 432 posts
    February 12, 2016 10:25 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Story and lore elements are essential to our Quest system – they need to be meaningful and give purpose. But as a player you should never feel overwhelmed with a bunch of quests that are nothing but mundane tasks.

I'd buy that.

EQ's epic was all but epic and involved a megaton of mundane tasks.

I abandonned my enchanter's epic very fast when I realized that I had to get 4 (four !) ground spawns which spawned every 24 or 48 h (don't remember which anymore).

All the achievment was in being at the place at the right time and click a mouse. I think there were also some (easy) fights but the NPC was spawning every 3 days or so.

Obviously there is no way to get one 48 h spawn let alone 4. So when I saw that the probability to get the 4 was so small that it was 0 for all practical purposes, I stopped it.

I heard horror stories that some enchanters spent several days doing nothing but staring on an empty screen.

I like the idea of epic provided that mundane tasks based on low probability waiting and doing nothing are excluded.

• 79 posts
    February 12, 2016 11:48 AM PST

Deadshade said:

Kilsin said:

Story and lore elements are essential to our Quest system – they need to be meaningful and give purpose. But as a player you should never feel overwhelmed with a bunch of quests that are nothing but mundane tasks.

I'd buy that.

EQ's epic was all but epic and involved a megaton of mundane tasks.

I abandonned my enchanter's epic very fast when I realized that I had to get 4 (four !) ground spawns which spawned every 24 or 48 h (don't remember which anymore).

All the achievment was in being at the place at the right time and click a mouse. I think there were also some (easy) fights but the NPC was spawning every 3 days or so.

Obviously there is no way to get one 48 h spawn let alone 4. So when I saw that the probability to get the 4 was so small that it was 0 for all practical purposes, I stopped it.

I heard horror stories that some enchanters spent several days doing nothing but staring on an empty screen.

I like the idea of epic provided that mundane tasks based on low probability waiting and doing nothing are excluded.

Exactly. There is a gratifying sense of accomplishment when you complete something challenging. It's hardly the same to punish yourself with tideous actions for days on end.

• 308 posts
    February 12, 2016 12:04 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

Reht said:

Hieromonk said:

First, WTF does any of the have to do with me saying there were going to be class related epic quests line? Nothing.... not sure why you are all salty on me about this.

Second, as someone already posted, there will be guides posted almost as soon as they are completed, or completed to some point, and quite possibly before release if people are allowed to complete them in beta, it's not going to take years.  I assure you, i will document my steps and post them if i somehow actually manage to complete one first.

Third, many of us will know that we need to pay closer attention to NPC dialogue for epic clues than we did in original EQ since epics should be in the initial Pantheon release (just an assumption on the release).

It could actually be just like you stated, or like we stated, or somewhere in the middle.

• 1714 posts
    February 12, 2016 1:53 PM PST

The way EQ tied in some of the previously lower level and unfinished at release class quests (monk sashes for example) into the epic quests was cool, but it was kinda crappy that it had to be done retroactively. Hopefully VR can have these quests ready earlier on in the game so a level 50 doesn't have to go back and do a level 4 quest. That way you can feel like it truly has been part of your epic journey from level 4 to level 50 and not just going back and filling in the missing pieces later. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at February 12, 2016 1:56 PM PST
    • 61 posts
    February 13, 2016 1:51 AM PST

I am definitely against the idea that i pay my XX$ therefore i should get an epic too!  Epic ARE supposed to be hard and quite the accomplishment! They shouldnt be trivial and they shouldnt be completed over a weekend! The whole enjoyment of questing it with your guildmates and friends made the item worth it (to me anyway) a lot more than the pretty graphics and the uberness feeling the item granted! My memories of the item isnt the item itself but the stories me and my friend made over the time it took to get it. The trials and tribulations! 

It's the journey to get to it that made it memorable!

• 671 posts
    February 13, 2016 6:39 AM PST

Kalgore said:

Hieromonk said:

Reht said:

Hieromonk said:

Yah okay the day after it gets completed it will be posted online for everyone to read.  Sorry if you think otherwise but the same thing happens for raid mobs and other quests as well

LULZ,

So, someone who just solved a quest, (that has taken him and a handful of Guildmates 4 months of questing to find and complete...)  and the first thing they do is share it openly & not hold on to the secret and run the rest of their guild threw the quest..?  That 10k others matter more than themselves and their friends and guildmates..?

Finding a clue in a quest, or completing a quest nobody knows how to is almost like an exploit. You are not going to be telling people about your secret.

I don't know what EQ you played, but nobody but the biggest retards shared their valuable quest info. It kept other guilds at bay..  

So that it is not "laid out" for them.

• 157 posts
    February 13, 2016 6:50 AM PST

I don't know what EQ you played, but nobody but the biggest retards shared their valuable quest info. It kept other guilds at bay.

People like to help each other out as well.  It feels good to give someone else a hand every now and then.

• 61 posts
    February 13, 2016 6:56 AM PST

The way they will implement the quests will require folks to actually hail npcs! So i expect that quests, epic or otherwise wont be so quick to be known. or found. I sorta hope and i am not sure how doable it is but to have quests that will only be offered when certain pre-requisites are met. 

First time you hail a NPC maybe they dont have anything for you but after a certain sequence of events has taken place then they offer you something epic....

It does feel good to share for sure but sometimes it's kinda nice to know you have done a quest that few have done!

• 105 posts
    February 13, 2016 7:46 AM PST

Kilsin said:

In the FAQ, are the answers you seek, all you have to do, is take a peek!

Will there be many quests?

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/#q28

Story and lore elements are essential to our Quest system – they need to be meaningful and give purpose. But as a player you should never feel overwhelmed with a bunch of quests that are nothing but mundane tasks. When you get a quest the intent is that it will be epic in nature and reinforce the fact that you are a resurrected hero. More specifically, Pantheon is not a ‘quest hub’ game, where you move to one level appropriate hub, do a bunch of quests in that area, and then move to the next hub; rather, you will need to search out and find quests by interacting with PCs and in a less linear and more ‘sandbox’ style setting.

Oh no.  I'm so tired of games pushing forth the idea that I'm a hero reborn.  

It's so much more 'epic' and 'heroic' when ordinary gnomes do extraordinary things, don't you think?  When a bunch of elves and dwarves and halflings gather in dented, mismatched armor and knicked swords to take on monsters that threaten the town and win?  I abhor the idea that I'm already a hero but blocked from the good stuff by circumstance.

I hope that you reconsider that particular narrative.  I know some people here are tired of hearing "this is how it was in EQ" and I'm sorry that it's the example I have to offer, but no one was a hero in EQ.  We were sent out into the world with rags on our backs and we worked to become something.  Heroism was ending up on someone's friend list because they trusted your little gnome cleric to keep them alive in tough situations.  Epic was being able to send out a area-wide plea to come and help put Gorenaire down so that groups were safe in culling the drolvarg populations without a sneaky dragon surprise.  

I don't WANT to be a hero.  If heroism happens upon me, well that a different situation altogether. 

• 61 posts
    February 13, 2016 8:03 AM PST
    I echo the same sentiments, The "you are a hero" narrative is old! If we all are heroes from the get go, it doesn't really strike a cord with me and within me. Even more so if we all are heroes and we all have forgotten our past and what have you! I hope you will reconsider this with much attention!!!!