Pantheon: Class and Race Combinations

• 2886 posts
    April 8, 2017 10:11 PM PDT

Monkfist said:

Bazgrim said:

Monkfist said:

Real Quick,

Odds of Ogre Monk?

Probably slim to none. From the Ogre description: "Unseat their emotions and their incomparable size wreaks unpredictable ends." I think that pretty much goes against everything a monk stands for.

With their hulking presence and a culture that values the brutal skills of battle above refinements or leisure, the Ogres of Broken Maw are perilously dismissed as primitive by the uninformed. Yet careful study would reveal a race that relishes the dance of warfare tactics and in whom resides an unmatched respect for valor and courage, whether friend or foe. When calm, Ogres are cautious and considerate before action. Unseat their emotions and their incomparable size wreaks unpredictable ends.

I mean you really picked one sentence. Should you unseat their emotions.

I realize that it is not the entire description, but it only takes one sentence to show that in general, Ogres lack a fundamental quality of being a monk: mental discipline. Even though Terminus Ogres do seem to be a bit more intelligent and calculated than the dumb EQ ogres, the fact that they still often enter a berserker-like rage is very contradictory to the monk mindset. I'm not saying they're incapable of it, but as a culture, it's still pretty clear to me that zen-like meditation and discipline is not important enough to them to warrant an entire class. That's my opinion. Don't mean to be a party pooper, I'm just trying to be realistic haha. 

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 8, 2017 10:13 PM PDT
    • 248 posts
    April 9, 2017 12:40 AM PDT

Speaking about Ogres.

Someone talked about Ogre Bards (sorry, forgot your name) and I instantly thought about the New Zealand Haka. Long rows of Ogres preforming the Haka before a battle. Just a thought - and a very cool one to me :D

-sorte.

• 690 posts
    April 10, 2017 3:01 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Monkfist said:

Bazgrim said:

Monkfist said:

Real Quick,

Odds of Ogre Monk?

Probably slim to none. From the Ogre description: "Unseat their emotions and their incomparable size wreaks unpredictable ends." I think that pretty much goes against everything a monk stands for.

With their hulking presence and a culture that values the brutal skills of battle above refinements or leisure, the Ogres of Broken Maw are perilously dismissed as primitive by the uninformed. Yet careful study would reveal a race that relishes the dance of warfare tactics and in whom resides an unmatched respect for valor and courage, whether friend or foe. When calm, Ogres are cautious and considerate before action. Unseat their emotions and their incomparable size wreaks unpredictable ends.

I realize that it is not the entire description, but it only takes one sentence to show that in general, Ogres lack a fundamental quality of being a monk: mental discipline. Even though Terminus Ogres do seem to be a bit more intelligent and calculated than the dumb EQ ogres, the fact that they still often enter a berserker-like rage is very contradictory to the monk mindset. I'm not saying they're incapable of it, but as a culture, it's still pretty clear to me that zen-like meditation and discipline is not important enough to them to warrant an entire class. That's my opinion. Don't mean to be a party pooper, I'm just trying to be realistic haha. 

A large-framed, strong-bodied, diligent, adventurous and war loving being seemed to me to fit with the monk if we stepped outside of the obvious lines of their emotional nature. Can you imagine a Ogre Monk using his immense strength in martial arts? I can, and it keeps me up at night.

Here's another one for you: Ogres prize battle and tactics to a degree that makes discipline and monks a natural fit.

If dwarves can like enchanting metal and suddenly enchant a brain, ogres should definately be able to jump to zen/chi thanks to their love of melee fighting.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at April 10, 2017 3:28 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 11, 2017 8:08 AM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said:

Bazgrim said:

Monkfist said:

Bazgrim said:

Monkfist said:

Real Quick,

Odds of Ogre Monk?

A large-framed, strong-bodied, diligent, adventurous and war loving being seemed to me to fit with the monk if we stepped outside of the obvious lines of their emotional nature. Can you imagine a Ogre Monk using his immense strength in martial arts? I can, and it keeps me up at night.

Here's another one for you: Ogres prize battle and tactics to a degree that makes discipline and monks a natural fit.

If dwarves can like enchanting metal and suddenly enchant a brain, ogres should definately be able to jump to zen/chi thanks to their love of melee fighting.

Yes, I agree there are a lot of other physical qualities that would make for a good monk. But "stepping outside the obvious lines of their emotional nature" is a pretty big step imo. Everything else doesn't really matter if there is a major fundamental roadblock. Yes, they CAN be calculated and tactical, but that all goes out the window when they enter a rage. Monks are relentlessly disciplined no matter what, so I can't really see an Ogre Monk happening. Now I'm not super opinionated about it because there's still a lot we don't know about races and classes. But going off the little bit we do know, it seems like if emotional instability was worth being included in the brief overview, then it must be a pretty significant part of their overall personality. I'm not convinced that Ogres can just "turn off" this rage and "jump to zen" because they like fighting. True meditation is not that simple. 

However, dwarves enchanting minds as well as metal is a more logical transition to me, because there's nothing in their description that is a glaring trait that would prevent them from being able to do so.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 11, 2017 8:09 AM PDT
    • 24 posts
    April 11, 2017 8:24 AM PDT

Much is unknown about the lore of all the races, but Bazgrim's argument is pretty strong. 

• 6 posts
    April 11, 2017 8:32 AM PDT

Throatseeker said:

Much is unknown about the lore of all the races, but Bazgrim's argument is pretty strong. 

This would mean we were under the impression that being a monk is second nature.

As if there is no becoming a monk.

Ogres having the ability to become monks, they simply lack a natural state of emotional control.

What is to say that a already well engaged warrior could not learn to channel their emotions to more productive work. If anything a battle-ready being thrown into martial arts works quite well. I know of boxing programs and MMA programs gauged toward at-risk and violent youth. Often times it is quite successful. It gives them an outlet.

If anything I would go about stating that whilst a race known for its ability to become unhinged could not learn to control ones self. I mean these guys are currently slated to be both shaman and druids. Besides the thought of a 8 foot tall mountain with hands the size of bowling balls sounds to me like a potential amazing fighter. Sure a Ogre Berseker makes more sense. A guy can dream.

• 6 posts
    April 11, 2017 8:32 AM PDT

Throatseeker said:

This would mean we were under the impression that being a monk is second nature.

Ogres having the ability to become monks, they simply lack a natural state of emotional control.

What is to say that a already well engaged warrior could not learn to channel their emotions to more productive work. If anything a battle-ready being thrown into martial arts works quite well. I know of boxing programs and MMA programs gauged toward at-risk and violent youth. Often times it is quite successful. It gives them an outlet.

If anything I would go about stating that whilst a race known for its ability to become unhinged could not learn to control ones self. I mean these guys are currently slated to be both shaman and druids. Besides the thought of a 8 foot tall mountain with hands the size of bowling balls sounds to me like a potential amazing fighter. Sure a Ogre Berseker makes more sense. A guy can dream.

Class Description of Warrior

The Warrior seemingly defies limits of physical strength, ability and resilience. However, not content with fortitude alone, he also refines his mind, becoming a master strategist in battle.

That little bit about refining ones mind

Class Description of Monk

Through longstanding discipline and unwavering obedience to ancient teachings, the Monk wields their mind and body as a devastating, holistic weapon against their enemies.

This post was edited by Monkfist at April 11, 2017 8:38 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 11, 2017 9:46 AM PDT

Monkfist said:

Throatseeker said:

The Warrior seemingly defies limits of physical strength, ability and resilience. However, not content with fortitude alone, he also refines his mind, becoming a master strategist in battle.

Through longstanding discipline and unwavering obedience to ancient teachings, the Monk wields their mind and body as a devastating, holistic weapon against their enemies.

This is where the lack of knowledge about the monk class comes in. So the best I can do is go off of what I know about real life monks and monks in other games. Yes, Ogres have immense physical bodies that would be great for hand-to-hand combat. But there's a lot more to being a monk than just martial arts or even just mental discipline. (Though they are definitely a big part of it) "Through longstanding discipline and unwavering obedience to ancient teachings" THAT is the part that doesn't seem very ogre-like to me and that's mainly how it differs from a warrior. Being a monk is a way of life. It takes an entire lifetime of dedication with relentless faith. It requires opening up your mind and seeking balance in all things and peace with oneself. It's mental discipline to the extreme. There would have to be some significant Order that promotes such "ancient teachings" along with a lifestyle of obedience and relentless focus, probably from a very young age so as to prevent the children from being influenced by traditional Ogre upbringing. But it doesn't look like such a thing exists in Ogre society. Therefore, this lifestyle is probably not prevalent enough in their population to warrant a race/class combo. Could I be wrong? Yes. But it would take quite a lot of additional lore to explain it. Again, I'm not trying to crush your dreams. That's Kilsin's job :P I'm just analyzing what we know so expectations are as realistic as possible.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 11, 2017 9:49 AM PDT
    • 690 posts
    April 11, 2017 9:50 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Monkfist said:

Throatseeker said:

This is where the lack of knowledge about the monk class comes in. So the best I can do is go off of what I know about real life monks and monks in other games. Yes, Ogres have immense physical bodies that would be great for hand-to-hand combat. But there's a lot more to being a monk than just martial arts or even just mental discipline. (Though they are definitely a big part of it) "Through longstanding discipline and unwavering obedience to ancient teachings" THAT is the part that doesn't seem very ogre-like to me and that's mainly how it differs from a warrior. Being a monk is a way of life. It takes an entire lifetime of dedication with relentless faith. It requires opening up your mind and seeking balance in all things and peace with oneself. It's mental discipline to the extreme. There would have to be some significant Order that promotes such "ancient teachings" along with a lifestyle of obedience and relentless focus, probably from a very young age so as to prevent the children from being influenced by traditional Ogre upbringing. But it doesn't look like such a thing exists in Ogre society. Therefore, this lifestyle is probably not prevalent enough in their population to warrant a race/class combo. Could I be wrong? Yes. But it would take quite a lot of additional lore to explain it. Again, I'm not trying to crush your dreams. That's Kilsin's job :P I'm just analyzing what we know so expectations are as realistic as possible.

In my last post, I hit you with reworded versions of VR's, imo weak(they can be applied to almost any class/race combo you like), explanations for a few class race combos.

This one I'm totally serious. 

Skar can be monks. Do they strike you as faithful individuals who donate their entire lives to monastaries and discipline?

Could they do that better than say ogres?

P.S. What about gnomes? After all, if gnomes can flit around in the shadows as rogues I don't see why they can't use their ethereal form to flit around in the open as monks.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at April 11, 2017 9:54 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 12, 2017 4:23 AM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said:

Bazgrim said:

Monkfist said:

Throatseeker said:

In my last post, I hit you with reworded versions of VR's, imo weak(they can be applied to almost any class/race combo you like), explanations for a few class race combos.

This one I'm totally serious. 

Skar can be monks. Do they strike you as faithful individuals who donate their entire lives to monastaries and discipline?

Could they do that better than say ogres?

P.S. What about gnomes? After all, if gnomes can flit around in the shadows as rogues I don't see why they can't use their ethereal form to flit around in the open as monks.

Tbh, I have no idea why Skar can be monks. I'd like to hear Istuulamae's thought process on that. I think they have better physical combat qualities for monks than Ogres do, (different styles, but I think Skar bodies lend themselves more to traditional monk combat) but from what we know, their spiritual fortitude is probably even worse than an Ogre. Unless maybe there's some Order of Dark Monks that preach destruction or something? Idk. We'll have to wait and see.

Gnomes need not apply imo. There's a big difference between rogues and monks. It's not just about whether or not you're in the shadows lol.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 12, 2017 5:22 AM PDT
    • 12 posts
    April 16, 2017 8:02 AM PDT

I like the race/class combos.

Elf Shaman sounds great!

Also gnomes as mostly casters just makes more sense to me based off their lore.

I think it would be cool to see halfling paladin/dire lord 

• 72 posts
    April 16, 2017 4:33 PM PDT

I appreciate that class avaliablity is based more on lore instead of appeasing a sense of even-ness of class number amongst races.  I still cringe when I consider nature destroying Goblins being shaman simply for the sake of pushing in that last class number, or Pandarens not being able to be druid despite it being a contributing part of their past cultural heritage, all for the sake of insuring so that each race have as many classes as any other.  Then lore is bent off the chart to try and make sense of these decision. 

Unless a directed choice absolutely does not make logical sense in class distribution, I would rather trust the developers and lore creators to determine and limit classes based on the lore that they have created, rather than trying to request 'balance' based on new-age philosophies, principles, and/or culture.

• 119 posts
    April 16, 2017 5:10 PM PDT

gnome warriors... i understand there's not much need for them and surely they'd be the weakest warriors. but it was my favorite char in EQ (yes my main and i've done my share of raiding with her), and surely every race needs someone to protect them. guards etc. it's a fun class. i like ogre druids or dwarf enchanters for the same reason, it sounds fun. just like humans can be every class i think it would be nice to have a class that every race can play.

one thing that worries me is only 3 races for clerics. in about every MMO, the most wanted class for raids etc is the primary healing class. having only 3 races for cleric will cut down their numbers.

• 1618 posts
    April 16, 2017 5:50 PM PDT

letsdance said:

one thing that worries me is only 3 races for clerics. in about every MMO, the most wanted class for raids etc is the primary healing class. having only 3 races for cleric will cut down their numbers.

Maybe Clerics won't be the end-all to raiding.  Maybe diversity will be important. 

• 690 posts
    April 24, 2017 10:14 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Gnomes need not apply imo. There's a big difference between rogues and monks. It's not just about whether or not you're in the shadows lol.

is it the fact that a bunch of people who counceled their friends to not steal power to the point of being imprisoned for it are obviously fantastic thieves? Does "A small-framed, ethereal-bodied, diligent, adventurous and mystical being" apply more to rogues than monks in some way I can't see? Can "Gnomen arcane skills" really only be used for hiding/disguising, and not jumping around like yoda in the star wars prequels?

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at April 24, 2017 10:15 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 24, 2017 11:02 AM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said:

Bazgrim said:

is it the fact that a bunch of people who counceled their friends to not steal power to the point of being imprisoned for it are obviously fantastic thieves? Does "A small-framed, ethereal-bodied, diligent, adventurous and mystical being" apply more to rogues than monks in some way I can't see? Can "Gnomen arcane skills" really only be used for hiding/disguising, and not jumping around like yoda in the star wars prequels?

Again, it's not really whether or not they're capable of it. It's pretty clear to me that the monk lifestyle is just not that important to Gnomish society. They're too busy being obsessed with arcane stuff. And there's nothing wrong with that.

It's kinda like how, personally, there's not really anything stopping me from being a professional percussionist. I'm capable of being good at it. But it's not that important to me. I'm too busy playing MMOs. And there's nothing wrong with that.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 24, 2017 11:06 AM PDT
    • 441 posts
    April 24, 2017 12:03 PM PDT

Beefcake said:

letsdance said:

Maybe Clerics won't be the end-all to raiding.  Maybe diversity will be important. 

My hope is Shaman and Druids will be raid worthy healers as well as Clerics. Not just add something needed in the raid like Shaman have the best slow debuff so you need them as well. Just my two cents. 

• 2 posts
    April 24, 2017 1:24 PM PDT

Gnome all day everyday!;D

• 10 posts
    October 14, 2017 8:12 AM PDT

so no crossbow dwarven rangers? ;_;

• 399 posts
    October 14, 2017 10:45 AM PDT

Too short....they can't see over turrets ;)

• 1120 posts
    October 15, 2017 10:40 AM PDT

letsdance said:

Why do you assume that people that want to play clerics wont because they cant be a specfic race?  I know that when i look at a new MMO, i look at classes first, followed by which race ill be based on my class.

Also, EQ was probably the only game that had a huge discrepency between the quality of healers.  Almost every other game had healers able to be interchangeable and still succeed.

• 107 posts
    October 15, 2017 5:02 PM PDT

I think the cleric class will be ok. For one they sound fun and humans tend to be the most played races in games anyway. Something about how a human looks in that plate armor. If I had a better picture I would toss it but I imagine something like this http://www.manticgames.com/ImageCache/Products/3085.1.1000.1000.FFFFFF.0.jpeg . Plate armor meshed with religious garb to create something with a look of awe to it. I hope they get the tomes right on the cleric too. Most games just have someone holding the book by it's spine but I think of tomes behing tucked under their arms. I know it's a lot to ask of the animation team but some spell casts could even show the cleric flipping through pages of their tomes and reciting archaic prayers.

• 1120 posts
    October 16, 2017 4:18 PM PDT

zendrel said:

I think the cleric class will be ok. For one they sound fun and humans tend to be the most played races in games anyway. Something about how a human looks in that plate armor. If I had a better picture I would toss it but I imagine something like this http://www.manticgames.com/ImageCache/Products/3085.1.1000.1000.FFFFFF.0.jpeg . Plate armor meshed with religious garb to create something with a look of awe to it. I hope they get the tomes right on the cleric too. Most games just have someone holding the book by it's spine but I think of tomes behing tucked under their arms. I know it's a lot to ask of the animation team but some spell casts could even show the cleric flipping through pages of their tomes and reciting archaic prayers.

I've never been a fan of the books.  Maybe it's because of how it looks,  or the fact that it would be hilarious seeing someone run into battle holding a dictionary. 

• 107 posts
    October 16, 2017 5:21 PM PDT

Porygon said:

zendrel said:

I've never been a fan of the books.  Maybe it's because of how it looks,  or the fact that it would be hilarious seeing someone run into battle holding a dictionary. 

They are already in the cleric description on the official site. I just would like them to look cool and be iconic of a cleric. I certainly like the look of them over a shield for a cleric though.

• 1120 posts
    October 16, 2017 9:05 PM PDT

zendrel said:

Porygon said:

zendrel said:

They are already in the cleric description on the official site. I just would like them to look cool and be iconic of a cleric. I certainly like the look of them over a shield for a cleric though.

Doesnt mean i have to like it!

But in all seriousness, books look like they should be for cloth wearers.  If you are wearing PLATE armor... you are clearly concerned with defense.   A book doesnt really provide that lol