Forums » News and Announcements

Pantheon: Class and Race Combinations

• 4 posts
    March 8, 2017 8:24 AM PST

Oh so many combinations to try! I usually lean towards the spell casters as my favorite class to play and here I see so many options to work on, very pleased :) Nice work!

• 1618 posts
    March 8, 2017 8:50 AM PST

The new official lore response about elves from the newsletter:

Another hot button issue was that of the lack of a Cleric or Paladin class available to our Elves. While the superficial answer of “think of them as wood elves, not high elves” makes sense to most veteran gamers, there is a deeper lore meaning behind that rationale. Justin explained that the races that were prone to produce Clerics and Paladins were ones that were deeply connected to their deities, and that relationship was one that was central to their daily lives. The Elves are a bit different in that regard.

“While their pantheon is important to the Elves, their response to several tragic and divisive historical moments has superseded the way they see themselves. To a degree Elves have become more ideological than religious. While some races are separated into different factions based on which deity they worship, Elves are split between two extremes (Ashen and Ember) and the nominal middle called Lucent. Those division represent the way they think is best to protect and prosper their people. Is it interwoven with their worship? Yes. But faith isn’t the first-thought focus of their life. It’s fair to ask if that is an imbalance for them”

• 2886 posts
    March 8, 2017 9:25 AM PST

Beefcake said:

The new official lore response about elves from the newsletter:

Another hot button issue was that of the lack of a Cleric or Paladin class available to our Elves. While the superficial answer of “think of them as wood elves, not high elves” makes sense to most veteran gamers, there is a deeper lore meaning behind that rationale. Justin explained that the races that were prone to produce Clerics and Paladins were ones that were deeply connected to their deities, and that relationship was one that was central to their daily lives. The Elves are a bit different in that regard.

“While their pantheon is important to the Elves, their response to several tragic and divisive historical moments has superseded the way they see themselves. To a degree Elves have become more ideological than religious. While some races are separated into different factions based on which deity they worship, Elves are split between two extremes (Ashen and Ember) and the nominal middle called Lucent. Those division represent the way they think is best to protect and prosper their people. Is it interwoven with their worship? Yes. But faith isn’t the first-thought focus of their life. It’s fair to ask if that is an imbalance for them”

Link please?

• 219 posts
    March 8, 2017 9:29 AM PST
    • 690 posts
    March 10, 2017 4:36 PM PST

oh hey people still posting here? I must've stopped watching it somehow.

You know Kilsin said in no unclear terms these class/race combinations were set in stone before we even got a chance to discuss them? Even in the newsletter it suggested changes only AFTER a few lore-filled expansions.

All you can do is try to understand their decisions with the information that's been given.

I hope we learn about class balance soon. Class powers, why halflings would be too good at using words to turn their enemies, such as laughing wraiths, to be enchanter, etc. 

I hope VR knows that if someone wants to be a class, and only one race can be that class, they will still likely be that class, so restricting races simply for crowd control is a very weak fix.

I also hope we get better deets on the difference between ashen and ember elves, as it's clearly not high/wood elf.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at March 10, 2017 6:33 PM PST
    • 4 posts
    March 14, 2017 6:45 AM PDT
    What's a man gotta do to get an evil looking paladin?!? Yall made shadow Knights in EQ but in dungeons and dragons evil paladin or paladin of slaughter Orr paladin or tyranny are very much real things. archai paladin... doesn't necessarily bolster a God or a religion so much as the love of battle. Think about it? :)
    • 1618 posts
    March 14, 2017 6:55 AM PDT

Dire Lords are the closest you get, so far. I don't believe the Paladin, will be evil.

• 2886 posts
    March 14, 2017 7:11 AM PDT

UnrealNewbi said: What's a man gotta do to get an evil looking paladin?!? Yall made shadow Knights in EQ but in dungeons and dragons evil paladin or paladin of slaughter Orr paladin or tyranny are very much real things. archai paladin... doesn't necessarily bolster a God or a religion so much as the love of battle. Think about it? :)

Sounds like you would enjoy a Dire Lord then.

• 44 posts
    March 15, 2017 4:19 PM PDT

Do I need a change.org petition to get a gnome dire lord added into the game!?

• 7 posts
    March 15, 2017 4:23 PM PDT

Cleric here! Race not fully decided yet ...

.... and a Necro as ALT as soon as possible

• 643 posts
    March 16, 2017 9:20 AM PDT

Syntro said:

Kilsin said:

Fire = Druid as Druids are natural earthly classes that control the elements.

I'm going to take the liberty and loosely interpret this as my personal confirmation that the standard Wizard (Natural element users: Ice/Fire/Lightning, ect...) is getting a makeover, because why have two elemental users? Thanks Kilsin. :D

I think this is an unexpected manifestation of the lore.  I played a Druid then a Mage main for a very long time so I know all about their leanings with fire.

The PRF Elves, however have a very different background story.  Their sacred tree (the source of their spirituality and essence of their very being) was destroyed by fire.  Any sensible story would have the Druids eschew fire and, forever, view fire as the ultimate evil - everyone who wields fire would be an automatic enemy and that includes druids, summoners and wizards.

Now that's a crazy idea to have no elf druid but how can you reconcile this fire issue?

• 19 posts
    March 17, 2017 2:42 PM PDT

I Don't have a problem with 2 diffrent classes using the same elements, maybe they will have a nice play off of eachother. Perhaps the druid could buff the fire damage of the wizard or vise versus. It's nice when classes can pair together to become beneifcial to one another instead of each acting completly independent. It gives a perk that otherwise wouldn't be there, don't get me wrong i won't be waiting around an extra 30 minutes to insure i have all the classes in the group as complementary to one another, its's just a nice twist to adjust ones play to a groups dynamic if givning the possability.... thoughts anyone?

• 80 posts
    March 17, 2017 6:23 PM PDT

Rezum said:

I Don't have a problem with 2 diffrent classes using the same elements, maybe they will have a nice play off of eachother. Perhaps the druid could buff the fire damage of the wizard or vise versus. It's nice when classes can pair together to become beneifcial to one another instead of each acting completly independent. It gives a perk that otherwise wouldn't be there, don't get me wrong i won't be waiting around an extra 30 minutes to insure i have all the classes in the group as complementary to one another, its's just a nice twist to adjust ones play to a groups dynamic if givning the possability.... thoughts anyone?

The problem might lie with people running a best lineup and making other classes obsolete. Maybe make it where some mobs or zones benefit to a certain few line ups? idk I think it would get too complicated and lose appeal.

• 19 posts
    March 18, 2017 5:08 AM PDT

Makinelly said:

Rezum said:

The problem might lie with people running a best lineup and making other classes obsolete. Maybe make it where some mobs or zones benefit to a certain few line ups? idk I think it would get too complicated and lose appeal.

I ment more like what we saw in EQ2, when a Necro and SK both had disease and poison damage, the necro could lower the mobs resistant to those 2 elements and it would hlp the SK do a little more damage which in turn helped his life leeches be slightly more powerful and in turn made him more effective... it didn't mean SK's wouldn't grp with anything but a necro, it was just a perk if they did end up grouping together =-)

• 432 posts
    March 22, 2017 9:25 PM PDT

Wemblack said:

For some reason this post just caused a really loud thought to ring in my head.

Would it not be the most perfect thing to have Gnomes be able to do both Paladin and Dire Lord? 

Can't seem to get this thought out of my head now.

-Todd

• 432 posts
    March 22, 2017 9:25 PM PDT

Wemblack said:

Would it not be the most perfect thing to have Gnomes be able to do both Paladin and Dire Lord? 

-Todd

• 690 posts
    March 22, 2017 9:45 PM PDT

tehtawd said:

Wemblack said:

-Todd

A small-framed, ethereal-bodied, diligent, adventurous, amd mystical being seems to me to fit with the Dire Lord and Paladin if I step outside of the obvious lines of their caster nature.

In fact, by that description, it fits everything physical besides maybe warrior. It's still a stellar argument, though.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at March 23, 2017 2:13 AM PDT
    • 1618 posts
    March 23, 2017 6:53 AM PDT

tehtawd said:

Wemblack said:

-Todd

My response is based on my understanding of the classes, which may be wrong. People keep thinking that Paladins and Dire Lords are basically good and evil versions of other. I do not believe this to be true.

Paladins are divine warriors serving their god.

Dire Lords are armored arcane spellcasters, specializing in necromancy. They are not necessarily serving some deity, although they may. They are not evil Paladins.

So, just because a race has one, does not necessarily mean they should have both.

• 2886 posts
    March 23, 2017 7:56 AM PDT

Beefcake said:

tehtawd said:

Wemblack said:

-Todd

My response is based on my understanding of the classes, which may be wrong. People keep thinking that Paladins and Dire Lords are basically good and evil versions of other. I do not believe this to be true.

Dire Lords are armored arcane spellcasters, specializing in necromancy. They are not necessarily serving some deity, although they may. They are not evil Paladins.

So, just because a race has one, does not necessarily mean they should have both.

I think another big reason is that Gnomes can't wear plate armor. Their bodies are contained just by special cloth wrappings. I'm guessing that's not compatible with the heavy weight of full plate.

• 432 posts
    March 23, 2017 12:48 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Beefcake said:

tehtawd said:

Wemblack said:

-Todd

I think another big reason is that Gnomes can't wear plate armor. Their bodies are contained just by special cloth wrappings. I'm guessing that's not compatible with the heavy weight of full plate.

i get what yoy are saying. But arent their masks, gauntlets, and footwear plate looking? I would just go with that style. I hear you though. 

-sent via mobile

-Todd

• 690 posts
    March 23, 2017 12:56 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

so you are saying A small-framed, ethereal-bodied, diligent, adventurous, and mystical being doesn't seem to fit with the Dire Lord and Paladin if you step outside of the obvious lines of their caster nature? Blasphemy. Even so monks and rangers dont wear plate. They might benefit from being small framed, ethereal bodied, diligent, adventurous, and mystical if you step outside of the obvious lines of their caster nature.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at March 23, 2017 12:56 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    March 23, 2017 2:46 PM PDT

tehtawd said:

But arent their masks, gauntlets, and footwear plate looking? I would just go with that style. I hear you though. 

Their masks are the source of their life power. Their feet and shoulders do look like they have some plate on them though. Tbh, I have no idea how armor will work with Gnomes. I'm just speculating. Will it go over the cloth? Will it replace it? I don't know if their ethereal bodies actually have any substance, so I'm not sure how physical weight would even work with that. I just think it's noteworthy that they have no classes that wear full plate. It could have something to do with the composition of their bodies, or it could not.

BeaverBiscuit said:

so you are saying A small-framed, ethereal-bodied, diligent, adventurous, and mystical being doesn't seem to fit with the Dire Lord and Paladin if you step outside of the obvious lines of their caster nature? Blasphemy. Even so monks and rangers dont wear plate. They might benefit from being small framed, ethereal bodied, diligent, adventurous, and mystical if you step outside of the obvious lines of their caster nature.

There's a lot of factors that go into race/class combinations. Probably the most sound justification comes from the lore. So physical limitations aside, I think Paladins can be ruled out because that would require being a fervent follower of a deity and it seems like the vast majority (if not all) of Gnomes have little to no connection with their god(s).

I'll have to think more about Gnome Dire Lords... The plate armor is the only reason I can think of. And I'm not even saying it's a good reason :P

This post was edited by Bazgrim at March 23, 2017 2:51 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    March 23, 2017 3:29 PM PDT

tehtawd said:

Wemblack said:

-Todd

Gnomes cannot tank due to their physical nature of being held together by their masks, the lore explains this well.

• 690 posts
    March 23, 2017 4:40 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Gnomes cannot tank due to their physical nature of being held together by their masks, the lore explains this well.

They bind their souls into the cloth, but where does it say they are not tanky, or that the mask, as opposed to the cloth, is what holds them together?

In addition, Humans work thanks to their brains, their heads are probably not much more tanky to a giant monster claw than the mask or cloth.

Is there another thread anywhere about whether gnomes can wear armor? or do they assimilate better cloth?

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at March 23, 2017 4:45 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    March 23, 2017 4:48 PM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said:

Kilsin said:

They bind their souls into the cloth, but where does it say they are not tanky, or that the mask, as opposed to the cloth, is what holds them together?

In addition, Humans work thanks to their brains, their heads are probably not much more tanky to a giant monster claw than the mask or cloth.

Is there another thread anywhere about whether gnomes can wear armor? or do they assimilate better cloth?

The fact that the mask is what gives them life was stated by Joppa in this video starting at the 49:20 mark.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at March 23, 2017 4:48 PM PDT