Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

One Buff Rules Them All

• 2138 posts
    September 12, 2016 5:48 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Kilsin said:

If you could pick one buff to implement into Pantheon, what would it be and why?

But, for fun and giggles, targetable True North so when someone asks you where some place is and you say "go east until you see it" and they ask "well which way is east" you then cast True North and say "well that direction is north so figure it out from there".

+1

and have it mass buffable too, so like a chanter can hide as a rock and when a raid forse is running through- have the group or raid change direction en masse like fish!- or, make it a thing that needs to be done nin a raid or group settling (like some bizarre square dance-" allemade left! do-si-do! face north!)

• 86 posts
    September 12, 2016 6:15 PM PDT

Frogz0r said:

Personally I hated run speed with levitation attached...

I never liked levitation unless it was necessary.  I'm hoping we will be able to block buffs, clerics aren't going to need DS (depending on your tank!) and monks aren't going to want KEI.

• 2 posts
    September 12, 2016 8:19 PM PDT
    Simple but very important.... CLERIC only health buff/AC buff spell that is necessary to certain extent
    • 15 posts
    September 12, 2016 8:21 PM PDT

Veil of Banality

You cast a veil giving you and nearby allies the appearance of innocuous objects, blending into the surroundings.

Most enemies will ignore you. Moving, acting or receiving damage cancels the effect.

It's a simple utility spell that you use after a group sits down to rest in a dangerous area with respawns/patrols, disguised as ugly statues, chairs and chamber pots. Your appearance under veil possibly depends on your race or the area you're in.

This post was edited by piellar at September 12, 2016 8:39 PM PDT
    • 36 posts
    September 12, 2016 10:28 PM PDT

coach said:

Frogz0r said:

Personally I hated run speed with levitation attached...

I never liked levitation unless it was necessary.  I'm hoping we will be able to block buffs, clerics aren't going to need DS (depending on your tank!) and monks aren't going to want KEI.

I'm of the opposite opinion, but EQ in it's later years removed the bouncing... I was so sad.  Maybe it's my twitchy bard nature, but it just felt right to me. The game I play now has a buff where you gain 10% damage from just constantly moving, I couldn't be happier doing so. 

• 36 posts
    September 12, 2016 10:47 PM PDT

piellar said:

Veil of Banality

You cast a veil giving you and nearby allies the appearance of innocuous objects, blending into the surroundings.

Most enemies will ignore you. Moving, acting or receiving damage cancels the effect.

It's a simple utility spell that you use after a group sits down to rest in a dangerous area with respawns/patrols, disguised as ugly statues, chairs and chamber pots. Your appearance under veil possibly depends on your race or the area you're in.

Minor Illusion! god that was fun, random torch sitting in the middle of a field, so much fun flavor in original EQ. 

This post was edited by jerus at September 12, 2016 10:48 PM PDT
    • 763 posts
    September 12, 2016 11:35 PM PDT

For me, interesting buffs would be 'ones that have flavour'.

Eg : 3 spells with same *sort* of effect .... but achieved in wildly different ways!

Cleric spell 'Lull'

Cleric causes target(s) (subject to resist) to become more sleepy or 'bored'. They are less likely to go into 'patrol' mode and are more lazy - checking the area they are meant to watch less often and, while aggro radius is not changed, there is a reduced % chance of them reacting. No torches, bad light etc will aid in sneaking past.

Enchanter spell 'Tunnel Vision

This version causes the target(s) to get 'tunnel vision' with regards to the task at hand. The effect is to narrow their field of focus - reduced arc of vision that turns slowly rather than a large arc that covers the whole area. They will be fixated on what they are doing.... an overseer will be more focused on watching his slaves.. a gnoll tunneller will be more focused on digging etc. This means they are less likely to spot things around them.

Bard Song 'Braggarts Song'

This causes the PC target(s) to 'seem' more powerful than they are. With this spell active, you could walk through a sea of light green mobs as they will (mostly) perceive you as 'more powerful' than you are and hence act as if they were grey to you. Beware the odd resist/boss that causes your spell effect to flicker... you want to avoid them!

ALL 3 here have the same (sort of) effect.... reducing or avoiding aggro. but they do it in significantly different, and flavourful, ways. This allows the classes to keep a 'unique flavour' even though there may be some overlapping spells/abilities.

Each lets you get passed the mobs in question .... but dependent on the mobs, area, activity of the mobs and paths, each brings a different chance of success. For an unbroken like of enemy sentries with no gaps you need the bard.... for bosses spaced apart, perhaps the cleric and for walking past 4 troll overseers watching 20 orc miners you need the Enchanter!

• 430 posts
    September 13, 2016 9:23 AM PDT

Clarisow .. New buff gives spirit of the wolf and clarity .. You did say only one buff :p.  Joking aside , group shrink or enlarge the blue pill or red pill :):):) 

This post was edited by Shea at September 13, 2016 9:30 AM PDT
    • 613 posts
    September 13, 2016 10:29 AM PDT

Oxillion said:

Well I would call it the Ox-E boost then.  All stats +5% or somehting.  Plus the stain removal.

Ox

I need to get some better marketing for my Ox – E Boost Buff. I will need to get Kilsin for the Australian sales guy. Just remember +5% to stats and clean armor and or garments …. No Bull here…

Ox

• 613 posts
    September 13, 2016 10:37 AM PDT

I have way to much fun out here.....

• 62 posts
    September 13, 2016 8:09 PM PDT

Regen saved my butt sooo many times - especially when lying down on the job. 8b If that's classified a heal, then +haste all the way.

• 3 posts
    September 13, 2016 11:20 PM PDT

Surprised that nobody mentioned Avatar.  If they want to bring back primal waepons I'm all for it.

• 1095 posts
    September 14, 2016 9:56 AM PDT

Skin like Wood :)

• 189 posts
    September 14, 2016 9:31 PM PDT

Having an EQ cleric background I would say the Aegolism/Temperance line.  Nothing I hated more than casting an AC,  an AC/HP, and  a symbol buff on every group member every hour (or less), Aego was 2.5 hrs if I remember correctly.  KEI is a close second, sped things up quite a bit.

• 10 posts
    September 14, 2016 9:47 PM PDT

Just one? >.<

One thing I miss is that giant wall of buffs.

If I had to pick just one? Mana regen.

I mean Haste.

I mean Movement speed.

I mean HP/AC.

#$^&.

• 219 posts
    September 15, 2016 3:23 PM PDT

@ Kilsin. 

I would like to see spells like Levitate and Shrink that actually mean something. Shrink when I played MUDS was my most favorite. They had entire zones dedicated to that ability. When it wore off you litteraly got stuck in position unable to move. They even had an item that you could eat to shrink you for like 15 minutes so even groups without a wizard could get in and around the zones.

With levitate you litteraly couldn't get past certain zone entrances or around zones without using the spell. 

I guess my vote would be Shrink. Mages would have this ability or an item that could give you the buff. This brings just simple forethought into grouping like, "Hey we are going into the Brownie Palace tonight. Make sure you bring your shrink potions or make sure the wizzy comes to keep us buffed.

Since Pantheon is going to have an environment that will test our wits. I think it only necassary to incorperate buffs that will counteract that environment.

• 25 posts
    September 15, 2016 4:30 PM PDT

Vision of Grandeur (Haste) 

Boon of Garou (Werewolf Form)

Levitation 

Enduring Breath 

• 7 posts
    September 16, 2016 12:19 PM PDT

I don't especially like "mandatory" buffs like big HP or mana regen.  No specific buff interests me so much as a buff strategy, much like limited spell slots, seems reasonable to have limited buff slots.  Maybe that's dumb, but I can't say I'm a fan of just having the same buffs I use in every situation...  May as well fold them into your base stats. 

A a single defensive buff slot could force you to pick between HP, AC and spell resist with smaller combo spells for multiple stats.  An enhancement buff could give more cash, more XP or higher chance at rares...  something along those lines.  Basically giving you strategic buff choices instead of just "best of everything"

• 187 posts
    September 16, 2016 2:34 PM PDT

A buff which buffs buffs? (That was fun to read out loud, give it a try. :D )

Supercharged -
     Each buff this player recieves has a 20% increase in effectiveness.

If a player is simply buffed with Strengthen, he/she gains 10 str. If the player has the buff Supercharged prior to being buffed with Strengthen, he/she gains 12 str. This would be cool if Shamans had this ability. It would make for some fun shenanigans with Cleric/Druid buffs. It would be neat if this bred a new class dependendency for Shamans in the end-game where just having buffs might not be enough. Now you need Shamans to supercharge everyone. Brb, starting a Shaman thread. :D

This post was edited by Syntro at September 16, 2016 2:38 PM PDT
    • 134 posts
    September 18, 2016 8:53 PM PDT

Selo's Accelerando

Because I want to be fast.

• 110 posts
    September 19, 2016 12:23 PM PDT

Oxillion said:

Well I would call it the Ox-E boost then.  All stats +5% or somehting.  Plus the stain removal.

Ox

If this doesn't get into the game, I'm taking my toys and going home. ;)

Seriously, though, with the concepts of different color mana and it being so important to the game, I'd like to see mana regen buffs in the game. (Mmmmm ... KEI ....) However, if there's going to be non-magic users, something more utilitarian would be important, like See Invis.

• 52 posts
    September 24, 2016 8:59 PM PDT

Stamina is not used enough in any game, including EQ2 where mana=power=stamina....so warrior had mana too.. ?

I think a heavy sword / axe that does huge dmg for short fights that drains stamina is a great idea....if a longer fight / adds come, one should switch to a lighter weapon, after being drained to say, 25 % stamina, you swing at half speed ?

I also think longer casting more powerful spells should use stamina too, so even if your mana regen / pool is big, you may have to spam cast if stamina is being drained (ie a disease dot from a mob that drains stamina prevents you from casting as much ?)

That is a situational thing you must think on your feet for and be prepared to deal with.

so.....how about a stamina regen buff = best buff of all time :)

short of that-------KEI, and only because EQ1 for so long had no other means of regen (not even better food / water gave you better regen, items with +regen few and far between for the first few years)

• 219 posts
    September 25, 2016 6:25 PM PDT

As long as I can cast my buffs on random newbies, that's what I want.  I remember playing a MUD a long time ago and just sitting in the healer room giving armor buffs, night vision, levitation, or healing poison/blindness of low level players who would come to the healer room (or respawn there on death) to get them back on their feet and out into the world.

I really hate that all these new MMOs seem to only let me cast buffs on party members, and only cast short term or temp buffs (like a % health damage shield in Final Fantasy 14) on people not in my party.  I don't want to have to group with that random newbie in order for them to get buffed - I want to be able to go all "random acts of kindness" on whatever random person I run into out in the world.  I don't even mind casting stuff that requires reagents (in a way, this makes it that much more meaningful).  I just like being a nice guy and helping people, and I want to be able to play a buffing class that can do that.

Because healing a person is nice, but short lived.  That armor/intellect/etc. buff that lasts for an hour will help him out for a good chunk of his play session.  (Granted, I also will be playing a healer, but I want to be able to buff people, too!  :p)

(Seriously, wtb Bard/buff classes, but I'll settle for a Druid/Shaman/Cleric for now, I s'pose.  Again, long as I can buff people, too!)

• 200 posts
    September 26, 2016 1:16 AM PDT
    I'm with you Renathras, I've always loved throwing buffs while passing through zones or buffing lowlevels at the EC tunnel and such. In WoW as a priest on pvp servers I'd tell people of the other faction to /wait, mind controlled them and then buffed them. I've never liked ganking but I'm passionate about buffing :D.
    • 120 posts
    September 26, 2016 1:47 PM PDT

I would like to see spells/abilities to assist tanks better at... well... tanking. I feel a lot of MMOs I have played at release have neglected the tanks on a threat level and although good tanks are typically still good tanks, I can't stress the difficulty of playing with pug tanks. Now I don't want threat to just be handed to tanks.

For example though, in FFXI now they have a spell paladin can use that has a duration that adds +50 enmity. So basically every action taken on that Paladin will generate what 50 enmity equates to.