Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

5 things from non-Brad games that you liked or loved

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    April 30, 2016 10:01 PM PDT

(quote taken from another message board and written by my old friend Tagad but he sums up something I both immensely enjoyed and something I want to bring to Pantheon) bold added by me:

"Toril/SojournMUD:  Jotunheim -- based upon the land of the frost giants in Norse mythology this zone had it all. Epic fights with giants, monsters that could swallow you whole, more rare loads than you can shake a stick at, incredibly well written quests, and of course phat l3wtz. The zone also had an alternate data set that would rarely load where the fire giants of Muspelheim would invade... I don't think I've had an experience in an MMO that tops the adventures I had in Jotunheim all those years ago"

This post was edited by Aradune at April 30, 2016 10:10 PM PDT
    • 67 posts
    April 30, 2016 10:34 PM PDT

Amsai said: Pyde, that is not my intent and thought I made that clear. Im trying my best to be positive here. And its not like I hate EQ or VG or their players. Hell I joined these forums because I thought we were all basically brothers and sisters in wanting a game like this. And I made this thread with the goals I have stated a couple of times already man. And Im sorry if you dont like labels or groups....... Im not very politically correct. Please re read my replies. Oh and Id love to hear things you liked abouy other games as well. There is not right or wrong answer.

Pyde raises a legitimate point though.

With this thread, you *are* singling a group of people out. That's a perfectly accurate description of it. This thread is all about "EQ vets being challenged to prove they aren't closed-minded and can acknowledge good things outside that game". While the title doesn't convey it quite so directly, certainly your further clarifications and replies herein do. 

Do you not see how insulting that is? You're putting an entire, rather large part of this game's fans/backers in a box labeled "Closed-Minded EQ Vets", and then challenging them to prove they don't belong there. That's really messed up. It also completely ignores, or misses, the actual points/concerns many actually express, and explain in detail, in many posts, across many threads.

There's a kind of culture of shaming developing on these forums, and it reminds me a lot of what I saw in the FFXIV ARR community early on (though not quite as hostile - yet). 

If you were following XIV ARR, Amsai, you may recall how the mere mention of FFXI, suggesting something it did well, or a system that might translate well into ARR, was immediately ripped to shreds, and those sharing such thoughts were blasted, and told to "get out", and "stop trying to turn XIV into FFXI". I was one of those people slammed, for daring to suggest that XI did some things really well. No matter how many times it was explained that no one wanted XIV to be a clone of XI, it didn't matter. For merely sharing ideas and concepts that worked well in XI which may be adapted into XIV, people insisted we just "wanted to turn XIV into XI". Worse, if you were a FFXI vet, and made it known, you were talked down to like a piece of trash. Some long-time fans/vets of XI actually started distancing themselves from that fact, just so they wouldn't be blasted for daring to voice an opinion or concern.

We're not there, yet, on these forums, but I'm seeing the beginnings of that same kind of dismissive, divisive, "us vs. them" hostility brewing here and it's giving me a strong sense of deja vu. I share Pyde's sentiments.. I'm beginning to regret backing this. I got the hell away from the FFXIV community early on because I didn't want to be anywhere near that. Similarly, I don't want to be anywhere near that kind of crap here, either.

Posting a thread like this, with the intent it was clearly posted with, and then saying "No no, I want to keep it positive!" when people recognize what's going on and react to it, is extremely disingenuous. 

This post was edited by Wolfsong at May 1, 2016 8:27 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    May 1, 2016 8:36 AM PDT

Aradune said:

(quote taken from another message board and written by my old friend Tagad but he sums up something I both immensely enjoyed and something I want to bring to Pantheon) bold added by me:

"Toril/SojournMUD:  Jotunheim -- based upon the land of the frost giants in Norse mythology this zone had it all. Epic fights with giants, monsters that could swallow you whole, more rare loads than you can shake a stick at, incredibly well written quests, and of course phat l3wtz. The zone also had an alternate data set that would rarely load where the fire giants of Muspelheim would invade... I don't think I've had an experience in an MMO that tops the adventures I had in Jotunheim all those years ago"

Thanks for the contribution to this thread, I really appreciate it. And hope you know this thread wasnt meant to be disrespectful towards you or others. After all I have nothing but respect for the man captaining our ship to adventure.

I like the the idea of giants invading. Very "Attack on Titan" if anyone has ever seen that anime.

• 1778 posts
    May 1, 2016 8:51 AM PDT

Wolfsong said:

Amsai said: Pyde, that is not my intent and thought I made that clear. Im trying my best to be positive here. And its not like I hate EQ or VG or their players. Hell I joined these forums because I thought we were all basically brothers and sisters in wanting a game like this. And I made this thread with the goals I have stated a couple of times already man. And Im sorry if you dont like labels or groups....... Im not very politically correct. Please re read my replies. Oh and Id love to hear things you liked abouy other games as well. There is not right or wrong answer.

Pyde raises a legitimate point though.

With this thread, you *are* singling a group of people out. That's a perfectly accurate description of it. This thread is all about "EQ vets being challenged to prove they aren't closed-minded and can acknowledge good things outside that game". While the title doesn't convey it quite so directly, certainly your further clarifications and replies herein do. 

Do you not see how insulting that is? You're putting an entire, rather large part of this game's fans/backers in a box labeled "Closed-Minded EQ Vets", and then challenging them to prove they don't belong there. That's really messed up. It also completely ignores, or misses, the actual points/concerns many actually express, and explain in detail, in many posts, across many threads.

There's a kind of culture of shaming developing on these forums, and it reminds me a lot of what I saw in the FFXIV ARR community early on (though not quite as hostile - yet). 

If you were following XIV ARR, Amsai, you may recall how the mere mention of FFXI, suggesting something it did well, or a system that might translate well into ARR, was immediately ripped to shreds, and those sharing such thoughts were blasted, and told to "get out", and "stop trying to turn XIV into FFXI". I was one of those people slammed, for daring to suggest that XI did some things really well. No matter how many times it was explained that no one wanted XIV to be a clone of XI, it didn't matter. For merely sharing ideas and concepts that worked well in XI which may be adapted into XIV, people insisted we just "wanted to turn XIV into XI". Worse, if you were a FFXI vet, and made it known, you were talked down to like a piece of trash. Some long-time fans/vets of XI actually started distancing themselves from that fact, just so they wouldn't be blasted for daring to voice an opinion or concern.

We're not there, yet, on these forums, but I'm seeing the beginnings of that same kind of dismissive, divisive, "us vs. them" hostility brewing here and it's giving me a strong sense of deja vu. I share Pyde's sentiments.. I'm beginning to regret backing this. I got the hell away from the FFXIV community early on because I didn't want to be anywhere near that. Similarly, I don't want to be anywhere near that kind of crap here, either.

Posting a thread like this, with the intent it was clearly posted with, and then saying "No no, I want to keep it positive!" when people recognize what's going on and react to it, is extremely disingenuous. 

I was gonna have a lengthy reply. About how I am worried about the very same thing only its the opposite from the FFXIV scenario. But instead Ill just say I dont really feel you are getting into the spirit of this thread. And Im sorry if you feel that way. Id like you to know Im actually a very nice guy, and have not been overly hostile on these forums (except one individual around the kickstarter that had it coming. I didnt take well to blatant lies and twisting of my words). On the other hand could you name some things from other games you liked in the spirit of cooperation or even forgiveness? This is me extending the olive branch. Fresh start with you because you really do have the wrong idea about me. If youd like to discuss it further could you PM me, Im trying to keep this thread open for the title topic.

• 668 posts
    May 1, 2016 11:48 AM PDT

Since I have already commented to the OPs original request, AND I am also a veteran EQ / VG player... 

I agree, everyone needs to stick to subject at hand and don't comment on someone's perceived intentions.  Not everyone is a troll and not everyone words things perfectly.  Answer the question or don't, but don't throw the topic off to a different path.

Now, what features do you think should be considered outside Brad's awesome games?

• 106 posts
    May 1, 2016 11:55 AM PDT

Pyye said:

Now, what features do you think should be considered outside Brad's awesome games?

I just thought of another.

Floating camera around the character from WoW and SWTOR. Being able to run north but look off to the east or west without changing direction.

This post was edited by FierinaFuryfist at May 1, 2016 11:55 AM PDT
    • 67 posts
    May 1, 2016 11:59 AM PDT

Amsai said:

I was gonna have a lengthy reply. About how I am worried about the very same thing only its the opposite from the FFXIV scenario. But instead Ill just say I dont really feel you are getting into the spirit of this thread. And Im sorry if you feel that way. Id like you to know Im actually a very nice guy, and have not been overly hostile on these forums (except one individual around the kickstarter that had it coming. I didnt take well to blatant lies and twisting of my words). On the other hand could you name some things from other games you liked in the spirit of cooperation or even forgiveness? This is me extending the olive branch. Fresh start with you because you really do have the wrong idea about me. If youd like to discuss it further could you PM me, Im trying to keep this thread open for the title topic.

I'm getting the "spirit" of the thread just fine. It's impossible to miss. You spelled it out right in your opening sentence. I, and others, are responding directly to exactly what you said.

Case in point, a direct quote from your OP:
    "Restore my faith in the community. Humor me EQ vets. Could be from Meridian or from WoW or from Korean MMO clone number 569. Dont care. "

There's nothing to "get". Your motive for the thread is quite unambiguous. You further demonstrate that motive elsewhere in the thread. It's a post targeted *directly* and *exclusively* at EQ vets. It's passive aggressive, it's cynical, it's condescending and demonstrates a clear disdain for EQ vets, whom you - through your own words - clearly believe are close-minded, and incapable of seeing anything "good" outside of EQ.  

If that weren't the case, then there'd be nothing to "restore your faith", or "humor you" about. You started this thread with your bias and preconceptions on your sleeve.

Trying to back-pedal or spin yourself out of it now, after people have called you out on it, only makes you look dishonest and unwilling to stand behind your own words. 

As for PM'ing  you, I have no reason to. You are openly calling EQ vets into the hotseat to "humor you" and "restore your faith" - or, in other words, "prove you wrong" about something you'd already concluded. In turn, I am openly calling you out on how despicable and disrespectful a move that was on your part.

I don't care how nice of a person you are. I do have a serious problem with condescending behavior, and abject dishonesty. Your conduct in this thread, from the opening post, up to your reply to me here, embodies both of those things.

If your intent was pure and in good faith, then there would be no reason to specifically call out the EQ vets. It could just as well have been worded: "Pantheon fans/backers, list some things you'd like to see from non-Brad games!". Instead, you specifically targeted EQ vets.

My advice: Own up to what you say, and stop trying to spin yourself out of it. 

This post was edited by Wolfsong at May 1, 2016 12:10 PM PDT
    • 18 posts
    May 1, 2016 12:11 PM PDT

There is a good reason Brad made this post https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/176/pantheon-new-features-and-new-players ;... Also there seems to be some people thinking they`re more EQ vets than the others and I`m asuming that what Amsai ment and I tend to agree with him that some of people that put themselves in a group (not by others !) does not show open-mindness at all about some features recently mentioned (mentor , caravans, progeny) ....

• 308 posts
    May 1, 2016 3:09 PM PDT

1. I would like to see some kind of Farming mechanic like Archeage has... not that i liked archeage but farming was fun.

2. some type of air transport, either in the form of flying mounts or gliders agian like archeage. also i liked the airships in archeage, they flew on predetermined routes and werent personal transport, but still facilitated fast&easy travel without losing the feel of a large world.

3. SWTOR has some neat raid mechanics such as puzzle bosses and individual battles to make things extra fun!

4. not from an MMO but i think it may lend itself well, the bounty board missions from FFXII hunting down rare and powerful monsters for rewards that cant be found anywhere else would be neat.

• 264 posts
    May 1, 2016 4:32 PM PDT

Aradune said:

A rare alternate data set that loads up something unknown or unexpected in a zone is a really cool idea

• 126 posts
    May 1, 2016 7:47 PM PDT

I haven't played a whole lot of MMOs, therefore I will say what I like about a bunch of games that I HAVE played:

1.  I like the number of courses offered in Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour

2.  I like the tackling mechanic in Madden 2015

3.  I like the narrative of the Mass Effect games

4.  I like the dialogue of the Borderlands games

5.  I like the loot mechanic of Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, Borderlands - etc.

6.  I like the tactilty and reactions of the Call of Duty games.

You know, just if we are just stating the things we like.

• 79 posts
    May 1, 2016 8:12 PM PDT

Skycaster said:

GeekVerve said:

Lokkan said:I've said it before, the humor and game/book/movie references snuck into and throughout the game.  I'm sorry, but a sea giant who farts a bubble - then pops it himself and cringes?  Priceless the first time you witness it.

Dear God, please, no.

Dear God, please, no.   I am just laughing at this so hard.

I feel what your saying GeekVerve but I still find a bit of humor in it, ok a lot of humor. The way you invoke a higher power as if your resigned to the fact that Lokkan will get a Sea Giant with a case of the bubble farts in the game is actually quite damned funny.

Sorry, I find weird stuff and situations funny. I can just see your head hanging in resignation as you say it though and well it is a bit ......humourous.

Sky

Yeah, I really should have thrown an emoji on the end, as I didn't mean it quite as seriously as it probably read. I try not to get my knickers in too much of a twist. ;)

• 1778 posts
    May 2, 2016 12:24 AM PDT

More great replies folks. And no, it doesnt have to be things from other MMOs, Martell. Just things that you like from other games.

@Wolfsong

You have been very hostile and nasty to me and still have yet to contribute any games you like. Ive tried to patch thing up with you and you threw it in my face. Im not gonna try again. At a certain point I thought I could make peace with you, but that unfortunately doesnt seem to be that case. I re read you last post about a dozen times, and you are wrong in most of it even going so far as putting words in my mouth based on conjecture, but I never denied calling for EQ vets to name other games they like. Yea, I could have worded some things better. But its not a "gotcha" or "see, I told you so" type of situation which you clearly believe it to be. And I could be wrong, but Im pretty sure you are tyring to bait me into having an ugly argument with you. Well it wont work friend. I wont reply to you in this thread anymore, unless your next reply is you naming things you liked form other games that is.

• 578 posts
    May 3, 2016 10:03 PM PDT

Amsai said:

Restore my faith in the community. Humor me EQ vets. Could be from Meridian or from WoW or from Korean MMO clone number 569. Dont care. 

Just 1 extra thing. They need to be things you'd want to see in Pantheon!!! Not things that you liked but dont think it would fit the lore, or design, etc.

Go Nuts!!!

Bro, for what it's worth, this is kind of a crappy way to ask this question. Wolf has a point, though I don't believe you to be as vindictive as he is considering/claiming you to be. When I read it I think you are addressing ALL EQ vets and that you are calling them close-minded. I doubt that was what you intended but that's how it comes off. I'm hoping to just clear things up

I'd like to see the housing and farming system in ArcheAge.
    I'd like to see the housing system from WildStar as well, where the player houses give you a lot of utility and benefits.
    I'd like to see the leveling system from the Elder Scrolls games where they remove traditional xp and levels.
    I'd like to see an in depth crafting system that is more involving than ESO's system. Something along the lines of EQ2's system in vanilla.
    I'd like to see diplo buffs and diplomacy 2.0 where it's more complex and players can play each other and win cards.

• 1778 posts
    May 4, 2016 8:42 AM PDT

Nice List! Thanks for the effort Noobie. And yes I could have worded it better. That was my fault. I was only calling on EQ vets not calling them out. My opening line seems to either had the opposite effect or just made what would have happened worse. It wasnt me trying to be condescending or accusing all EQ Vets of being close minded. It was actually supposed to be the opposite of that. I do admit though that it was intended to guilt them into cooperating because I feared backlash or lack of cooperation from the start. Like I said either that provoked exactly what I thought or it just made it worse. Which in itself is a failure, because it just caused too many derails of the thread. So my initial reason for the thread has more or less failed. And even if this thread was supposed to be a "gotcha" thread aimed at EQ vets (which it wasnt), that would have failed too. I appreaciate those that made an attempt even minimally to name things they liked from other games. So I guess Im really done with this thread. Because the only thing this thread did do was point out a certain level of mistrust and division on these forums that can sometimes turn toxic. And Im including myself in that, although I do try to not let it get too nasty, or say if this happens then I quit/wont support Pantheon. But to be clear I dont hate EQ vets. I have a few real life friends that played. And I have met a lot of great people on these forums from EQ and VG and even alot of the ones I dont always agree with I still like and respect. So in the future, Ill try to be more trusting and I think Im gonna try a different tactic when dealing with hostile or extreme personalities. Hopefully that will work out.

• 668 posts
    May 4, 2016 11:03 AM PDT

Amsai...

You have been more than clear that your intentions were not meant to be targeting or a hidden message in any way...

As more new comers join the forum, you will always have someone who takes it super personal, then gets all into a debate about what was implied versus what was actually asked.  Stay involved and don't let anyone else throw you off track.

I know what I like, I don't always word things perfectly for others to interpret.  I will certainly state my mind if someone wants to get in my face.  But in the end, I don't lose ANY sleep over forum related debates!!  We all should not have to walk on egg shells, Everyone is entitled to comment the best they can.  For those that like to use fancy words and show off your knowledge about varied word definitions, just remember that not all are the same way.  If someone aplogizes for mis wording something, move on and be an adult about it.

• 172 posts
    May 5, 2016 10:01 PM PDT

Hmmm, I am new to the community, but I did not take offense to what Amsai said.  I started playing EQ and played it for many years, but am now into P1999.  Anyway, I certainly do not consider any "group of EQ vets" to be representative of me, so I am up for the challenge that Amsai has put forth.

1)  WOW:  I really liked the in game map and the acution house system....   Just kidding!!!  No really, just kidding all.

2)  WOW:  For real this time, I did like that you didnt have to move each and every trade skill component into a box to make a combine.  Hands hurt way too much, went through too much Advil.

3)  LOTRO:  The Captain class rocked!  You were a buffer, off-tank, and all around awesome dude without being overpowered in any way.

4)  DDO:  Someone mentioned this earlier, but I did like much of the AI that was used in that game.  Obviously easier to code in instances, but I did like it.

5)  EQ2 and others:  Guild advancement systems (here's is an idea - how about basing on Boss Mob take downs!)

6)  Rift:  Rifts!  Spontaneous action involving whomever just happens to walk by.

7)  They should bring back PvP that can be organized in some way other than Free For All.  Like Guild vs Guild or something.

8)  OMG, I really was kidding about #1!

Anyway, thanks for asking for my thoughts.

This post was edited by JDNight at May 5, 2016 10:09 PM PDT
    • 578 posts
    May 5, 2016 10:59 PM PDT

JDNight said:

1)  WOW:  I really liked the in game map and the acution house system....   Just kidding!!!  No really, just kidding all.

I experienced like 17 different emotions reading this with most of them ranging from bad to worse. lol