Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

5 things from non-Brad games that you liked or loved

• 263 posts
    April 28, 2016 3:45 AM PDT

Ok i will bite! and prolly get bitten!

Tera rising:

1. What i loved about that game was the story telling on the Main Quest Line with the Cutscenes.  It really made me feel i was actually doing something that impacted the game.

2. I like the Idea of the political-system within Tera giving Players Rule over Areas

3. The animations the Monster NPCs had is still out of this world. This would be the thing i would love to see the most in PRF out of the 5 here

DAOC:

4. I loved the Dye-system in DAOC

EQN

5. I loved the Idea storybricks had for EQN (Not sure if that counts)

This post was edited by Yarnila at April 28, 2016 3:46 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    April 28, 2016 9:58 AM PDT
    Promise I wont bite. And I was really interested in the story bricks stuff too. And your number 1 was one thing I loved about XI.
    • 219 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:09 AM PDT

Amsai said: Not trying to prove a thing. The important thing is you did list some things and I thank you for that. Im not up to anything special. Just wanted EQ vets to relate non EQ concepts and features that they enjoyed. In other words: its supposed to be an excercise in positivity.

I ultimately want this to be a positive thread. Not just for myself but for the other non-EQ vets so they can see that the EQ vets can be open to ideas outside of EQ. It also might help EQ vets think about how an idea could work rather than wanting to automatically assume the worst or that it cant work.

Hmmm... This is really starting to sound like an..... "EQ Vets against everyone else kinda forums." Not sure why we are singling groups of people out. We aren't even in-game yet. I keep wondering why I VIP pledged anymore. These forums in my humble opinion are chasing me away. Its begining to drive me bonkers.

Edited: Amsai asked for no negativity. Well there I was being negative.

This post was edited by Pyde at April 28, 2016 10:17 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:18 AM PDT
    Pyde, that is not my intent and thought I made that clear. Im trying my best to be positive here. And its not like I hate EQ or VG or their players.

Hell I joined these forums because I thought we were all basically brothers and sisters in wanting a game like this. And I made this thread with the goals I have stated a couple of times already man. And Im sorry if you dont like labels or groups....... Im not very politically correct. Please re read my replies. Oh and Id love to hear things you liked abouy other games as well. There is not right or wrong answer.
    • 428 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:20 AM PDT

Amsai said: Promise I wont bite. And I was really interested in the story bricks stuff too. And your number 1 was one thing I loved about XI.

Make sure you answer your own question. 

• 1778 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:32 AM PDT
    @Kalgore

I guess I could but that wouldnt be fair. Im neither an EQ or VG vet. I guess I could name 5 things I hated about FFXI or AC. Or I could name 5 things I liked from other games. Would one of those work?
    • 428 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:37 AM PDT

Amsai said: @Kalgore I guess I could but that wouldnt be fair. Im neither an EQ or VG vet. I guess I could name 5 things I hated about FFXI or AC. Or I could name 5 things I liked from other games. Would one of those work?

I still think it is important to get your viewpoint on good features regardless if you are a Vet or not.  I would rather see things you liked from other games and I dont feel it should be limited to MMO plenty of RPG  have good ideas to be used in games. 

• 1778 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:45 AM PDT
    Fair enough. Ill come up with a good list. Im not gonna include things from Final Fantasy series though. Too easy and I think its only fair I do as I asked of EQ vets.
    • 793 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:49 AM PDT

Vaildez said:

2. Dark Age of Camelet - PVP/RVR in this game was just flat out fun... I rolled with a group of friends who would LAN weekly and had some amazing experiences with our roaming kill group from Hibernia =)

This... I am not a PvPer, but I loved the RvR of DAoC. Taking or defending keeps, building seige equipment. it added such a change to playing that was unique every time. Of course this meant that races hated each other and therefore had seperate realms to hunt outside the RvR area. So co-existing with other races (DE, grouping with HE and humans, Ogres with Frogloks) couldn't exists, which limited your race choices if joining with friends/guild.

I think part of what made the RvR so fun was the zone was huge and there were several battles going on a different times, and you could move from one to another freely.

• 1778 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:59 AM PDT
    Really liking the PvP stuff guys. Love the PvE too but PvP is some of my most fun times with my buddies.
    • 428 posts
    April 28, 2016 11:02 AM PDT

Amsai said: Really liking the PvP stuff guys. Love the PvE too but PvP is some of my most fun times with my buddies.
    Ah a fellow PvPer. I agree the best times playing was with my most trusted in game friends a small 6 man group we would wonder from zone to zone slaughtering everyone that got in the way.. We invaded the Docks of Qeynos so many times daring those filthty Qeynoisans to attack us.

I never played DAOC but Age of Conan had some awesome Guild vs Guild PVP

• 219 posts
    April 29, 2016 11:23 AM PDT

Thanks for the PM Amsai. Your a stud !

5 Things.... Hmmmm. This is hard :)

1: Crafting system. I loved their crafting system. It took a while and a lot of videos watched to learn what I was doing but it turned out to be the single most amazing part of that game for me. I maxed all crafters to level 60. I liked I didn't have to create a ton of alts to make one of every crafter. The fact I could have one character do all the crafters was nice.( I wont go into the bad parts about being a jack of all trades) The system was hard and I loved the chance of failure. Even after maxed out I used to grit my teeth when I wouldnt have 100% chance at success. Cant tell you how many times at 90-95% I would fail a craft. As much as it drove me nutz to fail an item that was worth tons of gil I still enjoyed it. Actually it was this chance at failure that I loved the most. It really brought depth to the crafting system.

2: No real fast travel in an open world. I enjoyed this a lot. Made exploring the world and running from place to place that much more enjoyable. I only played this for about 3 weeks so I'm not sure if it got changed or if there was fast travel once you maxed out. I stopped playing at level 30 lol. The world felt alive for the one fact I couldnt just port here and there.

3: I personally enjoyed/enjoy combat a ton. My wizard feels like a beast (Playing again on the TLE server Stormhold). I like how many spells I have and how there are different casting rotations for various encounters. Along the same lines I enjoy the many spells because it takes time to really become proficient at a class. You can tell players apart by how well they understand their abilities/spells and their class role.

4: AA Tree..... Love it ! I think towards level 100 when I playing on live it got a little absurd to choose so many options. A lot of AA's became irrelavent but I thought the system in whole was a great idea. It was also nice to create various AA builds for different gameplay such as group/solo/raid

I guess 4 is about all I have lol..... I have thought about other games but I never stuck with any long enough to comment. Always fall back to EQ2 and EQ for my MMORPG thrills. That is why I have such high hopes for Pantheon. I have spent almost 2 decades playing EQ and EQ2.... I sure hope I can say this about Pantheon.

Pyde Pyper 

• 106 posts
    April 29, 2016 11:43 AM PDT

1. SWTOR: Personal story with cut scenes.  For a game like this though I could see perhaps a mission every 5-10 levels or so.  Won't last but 30 min to an hr and gives you something to go do if you don't have much time that day.  Grants maybe 10-20% of a level so not going to make grouping less desired for leveling.

2. Rift:  Multi-class system.  I really enjoyed creating my own subclass within the 4 archetypal classes that were provided. Only thing missing was a hand to hand fighter.  Not sure how to apply that here, but the progeny system sounds a bit intriguing, depending on how "hard retired" a character is.

3. Rift:  Shinies.  They had a system where you could collect lore in the form of little shiny objects.  Completing the collections would grant different rewards and sometimes pets.  

4. SWTOR: Starfighter.  This was my favorite kind of PVP.  In my opinion, trying to balance PVP and PVE where there are different classes, levels, and skills/talents is near impossible without ticking off a lot of people.  But in your ship, everyone was equal and had access to the same things.  Obviously not something that could be done in this game but it wasn't from Brad and I liked it!

5. ESO:   Guild quest lines.  Being able to decide to join the Fighters/Mages/Thieves guild or not, and then being rewarded with cool quests if you did was pretty neat.   Added nice flavor to your character.

• 613 posts
    April 29, 2016 1:01 PM PDT

GW2 and the living story concept. I as I understood it that was supposed to influence the game direction based on player participation and local events. I don’t think it turned out quite as they had hoped but it was an interesting step to a game that had no ending. I think Storybricks falls in here too. Both concepts were a driving reason why I played both GW2 and Landmark. I think the end game scenario is limiting and reminds me that I have finished a good book and wanted more. Homeworld did that too. I know that’s not a MMO but it was a great story.

Ox

• 47 posts
    April 29, 2016 8:24 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

Not a fan of BDO but a couple things they did that i think are cool.

Early creation of your characters, pre-launch, and reservation of your names. Of course BDO had the luxury of the game already being released in KR for 2 years, so not a new game with new character creation.

Also in the market place they use one of those "prove you are human" schemes to validate purchases. meaning they throw up some numbers on the screen that are obfuscated to the point some automated BOT could not scan them and make a purchase.

Not a fan of BDO either, but I would love to be able to climb buildings like you can in that game.

• 79 posts
    April 30, 2016 8:55 AM PDT

The emergent AI proposed for EQ Next. It would be so awesome to spend a couple hours keeping a particular 6-mob orc camp clear, only to return the next day to see that it had been reinforced, doubling its strength. When some raid mob gets to a point where it is defeated regularly, a few more mini-bosses move in to bolster their defenses. This should work in reverse as well. When content becomes too difficult, some of its force is relocated to someplace it is needed more.

The dynamic quest system in WoW. Yeah, there is a lot fundamentally wrong with that game, but one thing they did well was create a lot of variety, when it came to questing. It would have been nice to see some of those unique quest mechanics implemented in non-questing play.

Community crafting projects (Horizons?). Sometimes it's nice to be given a mechanism for building up your crafting skills other than hitting the combine button 1000 times and running back and forth between the forge and the vendors. Everything everyone crafts can't be some hugely sought-after piece of armor or weaponry, so the ability to contribute to a community construction projects is quite enjoyable. It could be anything from helping to build defenses around a village to a barn-raising type project for a player's house.

Group combat combos (EQ2). Though I felt the system in EQ2 was a bit too complex and over-used (hear me out on this), I loved the idea of group combos. Basically I think group combo opportunities should be less frequent and not meant as a mechanism to be utilized in every fight, but instead an opportunity that may or may not present itself and only under certain conditions - not triggerable by the players. For example, consider the scenario where the fight is coming down to the wire, players are starting to fall, the mob is getting low on health and combo opportunity presents itself, giving the remaining group members an opportunity to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat *if* they are prepared and know what to do with it. *That's* compelling game play rather than watching for pop-up triggers and playing whack-a-mole with your ability buttons.

Dynamic content such as rifts in Rift or invasions from Tabula Rasa. They lent variety to every game play session, drawing in multiple unacquainted groups and individuals to extinguish an enemy attack. Things got really interesting when these attacks were unsuccessfully defended, and they began sweeping across the land, establishing strongholds.

This post was edited by GeekVerve at April 30, 2016 9:00 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    April 30, 2016 10:09 AM PDT

Good stuff folks! My turn! Mine will be "5 things from non- FF games that you liked or loved" though to be fair.

1. Dungeons and Dragons Online.

This game was always a bit odd to me in several areas, but I really liked a few things like its character creation and progression depth. But possibly my favorite was the DM narration when you entered a dungeon.

2. TERA

The Lancer was just so bad ass. I do like to tank and that guy was unique with his shield and lance style. Plus the Lancer was an absolute rock with his Sheild raised. Tanking on that class made you feel like the god of Tanks.

3. Dragons Dogma

Being able to climb on enemes and stab them in the head is ridiculous fun. I honestly cant see how this could be implemented in Pantheon. At least not directly as this isnt an action game. But maybe it could be used as part of a gimmicky fight where you climb on the back of a huge monster and then the fight takes place there? Just love the idea of climing onto a dragons back and stabing it lol.

4. Demon's/Dark Souls series

Its completely dark, gritty, and hopeless atmosphere. And the insane difficulty with the never ending taunting screen of "You Died" to remind you how much you suck and that you need to L2P :)

5. Asheron's Call

The best thing I loved about it (but there were so many thing) was the absurdly huge open world. it was ridiculously huge which is great for an explorer type such as myself.

There were many other that a liked or loved from other games that people already mentioned so tried not to mention those again.

This post was edited by Amsai at April 30, 2016 10:10 AM PDT
    • 668 posts
    April 30, 2016 11:23 AM PDT

Going WAY out on a limb here...

One of my favorite game series of all time was Might and Magic VI thru VIII

MM6-

Loved the huge open world where you could literallly explore wherever you wanted.  However, you soon found out whether a place was too hard or not.  Earning cash anyway you could was key as each upgrade in gear or weapons meant getting THAT much better to beat something you could not before.  Dungeons and quests were given but it was vague enough where you had to explore the world to find it or to complete it.  It's such a huge world, and so many NPCs that you had to interact with to progress or learn skills, it became a note taking game for sure.  A good set of notes in a note pad really helped, otherwise you could really struggle.  Not to mention the dungeons (for its time) were really tough, unique, and full of traps, puzzles and danger.  Lastly, the soundtrack is still something I listen to today, simply amazing music for its time.  I can still recall the solitude and inner thoughts as I hear some of that music.  The game was epic in length and not something you could ever rush through.

Dungeons and Dragons Online (another game not often talked about)

Someone complimented this before, but I will say, the mob AI in this game was impressive.  They really acted like they had a mind of their own and did things unexpectedly which often threw you off your game.  Same encounters could sometimes be easy or hard, depending on what the mobs decided to do and when to do it.  Dungeons often had same graphics, but different layouts.  However, thinking back on some of the fun mob encounters, I would not mind playing that game again.  Well worth the time and fun factor.

Archeage

This game was absolutely amazing in regards to the land lots which could be bought or sold for huge profits, resource farming, and transportation of goods from a low to high risk scenario.  Not to mention, the graphics were really well done, especially the character design.  I got really into this game during Alpha and Beta testing.  The water graphics are still some of the best I have seen in any game, and the open water PvP and danger was addicting like no other.  To be honest, this was such a good game, I would be heavily into it if it were not for the stupid online store and their "pay to win" approach there.  Was a dang shame to be honest.  Part of what scares me about Pantheon (or any new exciting game) is how quick they can ruin it with something like a terribly designed cash shop.

• 1778 posts
    April 30, 2016 11:54 AM PDT

Love it Pyye! The Might and Magic series is an awesome one to be sure. I completely forgot about music......... I should have mentioned a game with a hauntigly beautiful soundtrack. Got so focued on features and mechanics it didnt even cross my mind. Bad Amsai! Bad!

Fixed, sorry Pyye :0

This post was edited by Amsai at April 30, 2016 12:03 PM PDT
    • 668 posts
    April 30, 2016 12:02 PM PDT

Pyye not Pyde!!  :) 

• 1434 posts
    April 30, 2016 12:19 PM PDT

Pyye said:

Archeage

This game was absolutely amazing in regards to the land lots which could be bought or sold for huge profits, resource farming, and transportation of goods from a low to high risk scenario.  Not to mention, the graphics were really well done, especially the character design.  I got really into this game during Alpha and Beta testing.  The water graphics are still some of the best I have seen in any game, and the open water PvP and danger was addicting like no other.  To be honest, this was such a good game, I would be heavily into it if it were not for the stupid online store and their "pay to win" approach there.  Was a dang shame to be honest.  Part of what scares me about Pantheon (or any new exciting game) is how quick they can ruin it with something like a terribly designed cash shop.

Agree! The naval battles in that game were the most fun I had in an MMO in the last 15 years. Its a shame they made so many bad decisions. The cash shop p2w was just the worst of them, but there were many others.

• 112 posts
    April 30, 2016 12:31 PM PDT

World of warcraft:

I've said it before, the humor and game/book/movie references snuck into and throughout the game.  I'm sorry, but a sea giant who farts a bubble - then pops it himself and cringes?  Priceless the first time you witness it.

The original hunter tamed pets, where they retained unique attributes like takk the leaper's speed.

Dark age of camelot:

I liked the idea for the cleric buff spec, they had limited points for their buffs so you had to prioritize/choose who to buff with what.  I was one of maybe 2 buff spec clerics I recall seeing.

Quickcast seemed like a good compromise for casters.  The ability to force a spell to not be interrupted made it so you didn't have to send up a prayer when trying to get a spell off when even a weak mob was on you.

I don't recall if we had stuns as a sorc, but the confusion (kind of a hyper version of fear with constant direction changes mixed in) line of spells was a cool compliment alongside mezzing.  Mainly cuz it made others nervous ;)

• 264 posts
    April 30, 2016 1:20 PM PDT

Skyrim:

The Shouts; Stormcloak Murdered the King with his Voice! , I was like wow I need to have this power. I could do some serious Damage with a shout along with thowing something a long way just from the force of it. I thought it was cool as hell after I had it fully developed.

DAOC:  

I liked the way you could Dye your Stuff 

Vanguard:

Diplomacy; Sorry I know Brad had a lot to do with it and it breaks the conditions of the post, but Diplomacy was pretty cool and if tweaked a bit would be way cool.

M.U.L.E.:

Mereorite strikes would enhance areas with valuable mineable materials, Maybe a semi-rare event now and then in the night sky that would indicate about where it hit?

Ultima Online: 

Titles based on the Karma and Fame that is earned or lost by your Character.

This post was edited by Skycaster at April 30, 2016 1:28 PM PDT
    • 79 posts
    April 30, 2016 5:36 PM PDT

Lokkan said:I've said it before, the humor and game/book/movie references snuck into and throughout the game.  I'm sorry, but a sea giant who farts a bubble - then pops it himself and cringes?  Priceless the first time you witness it.

Dear God, please, no.

• 264 posts
    April 30, 2016 5:58 PM PDT

GeekVerve said:

Lokkan said:I've said it before, the humor and game/book/movie references snuck into and throughout the game.  I'm sorry, but a sea giant who farts a bubble - then pops it himself and cringes?  Priceless the first time you witness it.

Dear God, please, no.

Dear God, please, no.   I am just laughing at this so hard.

I feel what your saying GeekVerve but I still find a bit of humor in it, ok a lot of humor. The way you invoke a higher power as if your resigned to the fact that Lokkan will get a Sea Giant with a case of the bubble farts in the game is actually quite damned funny.

Sorry, I find weird stuff and situations funny. I can just see your head hanging in resignation as you say it though and well it is a bit ......humourous.

Sky