Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Combat pace

• 85 posts
    March 13, 2016 3:16 AM PDT

I would love to see like a puzzle or a secret switch to "disable" the crystal of death. I have a bad feeling those will kill me a lot of times in the future.

• 83 posts
    March 13, 2016 5:40 AM PDT

Would love to get maybe 5min video synopsis in the best quality you guys can make it, i did watch the whole on twitch recorded, and i think mont mentioned it had its quality lowered

• 801 posts
    March 13, 2016 7:38 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Crazzie said:

Was that rogue on steriods? hahha someone ran /dev rogue lvl 50 :) I am sure of it..

Lol, I was a legit level 7 for the whole stream in basic level appropriate gear/weapon but the backstab ability hasn't been balanced properly yet and was doing some crazy damage but right at the end I toggled GM mode and set my level to 50 and went shopping at the Rogue skills trainer ;)

I kept thinking, oh man those are the days i played on stune the rogue... you do miss those days.

• 89 posts
    March 13, 2016 8:19 AM PDT

Azraell said:

I would love to see like a puzzle or a secret switch to "disable" the crystal of death. I have a bad feeling those will kill me a lot of times in the future.

There will definetly be some way to deal with those crystals other than what we saw, just listen to the audio before they decide to run through the second time.  One of the devs (cn't remember who atm) mentions ways to get around and items that mitigate the effects.  Slightly later on a dev (cold be the same can't recall) mentions showing us in a later session another way to get past the crystals other than the brute force method they showed us.

I am also all for puzzels, games, and riddles to turn them off temporarily.

• 1434 posts
    March 13, 2016 8:26 AM PDT

Azraell said:

Just going to go out on a limb and guess there is a way to either resist, absorb or temporarily disable them.

• 128 posts
    March 13, 2016 9:09 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Ceythos said:

We're still in the tuning phase, and as we add more NPC layers and subtle differences, we have to be careful not to swing too far one way or the other until we have all the pieces together. Thanks for the feedback, as always :)

But we're not touching backstab, right? I mean it's perfectly balanced! ;)

Sure. On a 2 hour CD timer it is! ;-)

• 34 posts
    March 13, 2016 9:34 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Lol, I was a legit level 7 for the whole stream in basic level appropriate gear/weapon but the backstab ability hasn't been balanced properly yet and was doing some crazy damage but right at the end I toggled GM mode and set my level to 50 and went shopping at the Rogue skills trainer ;)

Confirmation that there will be 50 levels in at release, instead of the 1-20 mentioned awhile back as a possibility by Brad? :)

• 2419 posts
    March 13, 2016 10:02 AM PDT

Bah...you're all missing the most important part of that stream.  The DING!!!  Its the same EQ1 ding is it not?  It sounded the same...I pray it is the same.  All will be right in the world so long as we have that ding. Everything else pales next to having an appropriate ding.

• 211 posts
    March 13, 2016 10:11 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Bah...you're all missing the most important part of that stream.  The DING!!!  Its the same EQ1 ding is it not?  It sounded the same...I pray it is the same.  All will be right in the world so long as we have that ding. Everything else pales next to having an appropriate ding.

To me it sounded close to the same, but a little more enhanced than it used to be :) The sound when buffing was the same! And fizzling spells made a sound when they did so c(:

• 9115 posts
    March 13, 2016 5:05 PM PDT

Faux said:

Kilsin said:

Confirmation that there will be 50 levels in at release, instead of the 1-20 mentioned awhile back as a possibility by Brad? :)

Only confirmation that we can hax any level on Dev servers with GM commands lol ;)

• 157 posts
    March 13, 2016 5:29 PM PDT

For those wishing for more challenging encounters, I'd feel remiss if I didn't state the obvious:  these were level 7 encounters.  I'm pretty sure this area is meant for more flavor and class orientation, less challenge.

• 9115 posts
    March 13, 2016 9:34 PM PDT

xtnpd said:

For those wishing for more challenging encounters, I'd feel remiss if I didn't state the obvious:  these were level 7 encounters.  I'm pretty sure this area is meant for more flavor and class orientation, less challenge.

Not only were we level 7 but the Orcs were a couple of levels below us, the Shades were more around our level and my Rogue backstab ability was OP, classes are not fully balanced yet, so that is something people need to keep in mind before passing judgement on a pre-pre-Alpha stream ;)

• 132 posts
    March 13, 2016 10:07 PM PDT

Sorry Kilsin but trying to get people to understand what Pre Pre Alpha is seems to be impossible going by the comments on these boards. 

May as well try teaching a snake to kick, you'd be more successful. :)

• 9115 posts
    March 14, 2016 3:53 AM PDT

Medjai said:

Sorry Kilsin but trying to get people to understand what Pre Pre Alpha is seems to be impossible going by the comments on these boards. 

Lol, is seems that way with a few but the majority of our community are pretty smart, very supportive and know how much work we have actually done so I am very happy, as is the entire team ;)

• 428 posts
    March 14, 2016 8:36 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Medjai said:

Lol, is seems that way with a few but the majority of our community are pretty smart, very supportive and know how much work we have actually done so I am very happy, as is the entire team ;)

How slow do people want the comabt pace??  I mean they were pulling Trash mobs that conned lower and have the perfect group setup.;  You should be able to burn crappy trash mobs down fast with that setup.  Making something slower just because doesnt really seeem to make sense.  I wouldnt want to spend 5 minutes burning one random Orc with a full group.

• 1778 posts
    March 14, 2016 9:19 AM PDT
    Way to deal with crystals.

Pretty sure thats situatuonal gear.
    • 1714 posts
    March 14, 2016 12:30 PM PDT

Kalgore said:

Kilsin said:

Medjai said:

How slow do people want the comabt pace??  I mean they were pulling Trash mobs that conned lower and have the perfect group setup.;  You should be able to burn crappy trash mobs down fast with that setup.  Making something slower just because doesnt really seeem to make sense.  I wouldnt want to spend 5 minutes burning one random Orc with a full group.

Mobs were dying in just a few seconds. That is nothing like what most of us who played EQ would expect, and speaking for myself it isn't what I desire. Trash mobs? They were pulling level relevant mobs and mowing them down en masse. It was way too fast. Nobody said anything about "spending 5 minutes". 

Calling them trash mobs indicates you aren't familiar with the type of game this is supposed to be. Mid/high blue con mobs are legit encounters that can and should take time to kill. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at March 14, 2016 12:33 PM PDT
    • 103 posts
    March 14, 2016 2:04 PM PDT

I thought combat was both too fast and too slow. Too fast as in mobs died too quickly, specially if those were meant to be done in groups. Not that I believe the challenge should only be about increasing mobs to insane amounts of health but they shouldnt die 5 seconds after they reach the group. At least let mobs get off a variety of attacks before being taken down.

Only other hand, I dont know if maybe its the skill activation, the (understandably) sluggish animations, long CD's, a case of aggro management or something else but the player combat seems very slow. Coul dbe "Mont" was watching Netflix on another screen? He seemed to take long breaks between casting, sometimes even only cast one time and just stand there until it died. Seems like a lot of auto-attack too. Again, coul djust be because its Alpha, but I do hope the goal is to make it more engaging.

• 211 posts
    March 14, 2016 2:36 PM PDT

Kayo said:

Coul dbe "Mont" was watching Netflix on another screen? He seemed to take long breaks between casting, sometimes even only cast one time and just stand there until it died. Seems like a lot of auto-attack too. Again, coul djust be because its Alpha, but I do hope the goal is to make it more engaging.

Haha, I think ole' Monty may have had something going on at his house, seems like he was distracted a lot :) Hey Mont, show us that damned spellbook!! Hahaha!

Anyway, MAYBE.... (besides what has already been said that the orcs were lower level, Kil's (rogue's) backstab is overpowered atm, etc).... maybe it's simply because these are low level (7-10ish maybe?) mobs? In comparison, think about when we used to camp some orc camps in EQ around these levels, or the pit in Field of Bone, Kunark as another example. With a group of 5-6 players...the blues would go down pretty fast at these levels. Heck, most any class could still solo pretty well at these levels. As the players got higher and the mobs also got higher level, then gradually yes, their difficulty did increase, and it would take longer to kill them...and eventually certain classes would have great difficulty - or could not solo them at all. 

This post was edited by AgentGenX at March 14, 2016 2:37 PM PDT
    • 668 posts
    March 14, 2016 3:24 PM PDT

As Kilsin said, I would like to believe I am one of those smart guys out there...  This is pre pre Alpha and I can ASSURE you there will be all kinds of tweaking taking place.  The end result will be nowhere near what we saw, that is just a fact.  There are many aspects from spell adjustments, weapons, class skills, NPCs traits, you name it, it will be fine tuned several times over.  As new things get added, that all has to be tested again throughout the world.  That takes a LOT of play testing.

So, do I think pace was too slow or too fast?  Enjoy the other things the video brought us, so many to be enthusiastic about!

• 9115 posts
    March 14, 2016 5:20 PM PDT

Just for context of how OP my Backstab was, I was one-shotting everything with 840-950 hits, it was not balanced and I stopped using it unless we pulled too many and got into bad situations, just so we could continue showing more of the game, if we stopped to kill or wipe to all of those bad pulls, you guys would have never seen the boss and I wanted to make sure you did! ;)

We were all level 7

Orcs were level 5 I think

Shades were level 7-9

Boss was level 20-25

So that should help put things into perspective for you all, in early dev builds like this we just wanted to show as much of the game as we could but as you can see, there are still things that need changing, balancing, nerfing, buffing, tuning etc. We have a long way to go but it is a very good start :)

• 58 posts
    March 14, 2016 8:29 PM PDT

Well that explains why the boss was hitting you guys so hard.  It's good to see general level range of what you were fighting.  Thanks for that info Kilsin.

Overall there were good take aways considering where you are in the application development process nice to see a true pre-alpha rather then a semi-polished beta masqueradin.

• 9115 posts
    March 15, 2016 2:13 AM PDT

leafnin said:

Well that explains why the boss was hitting you guys so hard.  It's good to see general level range of what you were fighting.  Thanks for that info Kilsin.

Overall there were good take aways considering where you are in the application development process nice to see a true pre-alpha rather then a semi-polished beta masqueradin.

You're welcome Leafnin, it helps to get our minds around videos like that when we understand more about the level scale and challenge involved, it will not stay like this, though, for anyone wondering it will be balanced properly during late stages of Alpha and Beta. :)

• 613 posts
    March 15, 2016 3:00 PM PDT

with combat pace in mind is this tab based targeting?  I guess my main question should be what is the main mechanic?  This also has to do with pace.

Ox

• 9115 posts
    March 15, 2016 3:46 PM PDT

Oxillion said:

with combat pace in mind is this tab based targeting?  I guess my main question should be what is the main mechanic?  This also has to do with pace.

Ox

Yes, it is a tab targeting system, you either select the mob with your mouse or tab target to switch/cycle between mobs.