Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Combat pace

• 79 posts
    March 11, 2016 5:45 PM PST

Just got done watching the live stream(game looks AMAZING btw guys, super excited to see what you've got planned down the road.) and I had a question about the pace of combat, specifically how long each mob typically survives in a fight. It seemed to me(and several others in the chat that I saw) that the mobs, even red cons, went down a bit more quickly than we had expected. Is this something that is a work in progress or is the current pace pretty much what we're going to have around launch?

• 511 posts
    March 11, 2016 5:46 PM PST

Lol happy I posted this exact same thing in another thread :p

• 194 posts
    March 11, 2016 5:47 PM PST

This is super early still, I'm sure there's a lot of tuning ahead.

• 85 posts
    March 11, 2016 5:51 PM PST

To me the pace of combat now is just for testing. That would be OP to have kilsin backstab every mezzed mob to death left and right. But we saw more than what we expected. Faction hits are in game , they did show the "environment effects" , preview of the spell books etc. aggro range seems ok. 

• 1714 posts
    March 11, 2016 5:52 PM PST

100% agreed, but I'm sure level 7 rogues won't be backstabbing for 800 either. There's tuning to be done. 

• 1468 posts
    March 11, 2016 5:53 PM PST

Azraell said:

To me the pace of combat now is just for testing. That would be OP to have kilsin backstab every mezzed mob to death left and right. But we saw more than what we expected. Faction hits are in game , they did show the "environment effects" , preview of the spell books etc. aggro range seems ok. 

Yeah. I'm sure once they enter pre-alpha testing these things will be fine tuned a bit with some feedback from testers. I loved the environmental effect that they showed. I can't wait to see how that is used in more of the game world. That could be pretty epic when used in raids as well.

• 2138 posts
    March 11, 2016 5:53 PM PST

Combat pacing was - well that is the hardestpart if I assume correctly? good. I am no expert, but at least I was able to keep eyes on everythig and react where necessary. I was on the edge of my seat, it is good and proper that Aradune has the flaming sword.

• 105 posts
    March 11, 2016 5:54 PM PST

We're still in the tuning phase, and as we add more NPC layers and subtle differences, we have to be careful not to swing too far one way or the other until we have all the pieces together. Thanks for the feedback, as always :)

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    March 11, 2016 5:55 PM PST

^^ What he said ;)

• 85 posts
    March 11, 2016 5:56 PM PST

Well at least I will be able to train mobs to filzin even when his in town afk... =)

• 157 posts
    March 11, 2016 5:58 PM PST

Azraell said:

Well at least I will be able to train mobs to filzin even when his in town afk... =)

That was unexpected!

• 79 posts
    March 11, 2016 6:00 PM PST

Dreconic said:

Lol happy I posted this exact same thing in another thread :p

Haha my fault, I asked about it on twitch during the Q&A but since they didn't end up picking it I rushed over here to ask. :P It's crazy how many threads/posts have popped up immediately after the livestream!

• 157 posts
    March 11, 2016 6:01 PM PST

I thought the respawn pace kept things moving though.  Obviously there is some tuning to be done, but there wasn't any excessive down time, and the respawns were catching them when they were dwadling a bit.  

• 79 posts
    March 11, 2016 6:04 PM PST

Ceythos said:

We're still in the tuning phase, and as we add more NPC layers and subtle differences, we have to be careful not to swing too far one way or the other until we have all the pieces together. Thanks for the feedback, as always :)

Thanks man! I figured it was a work in progress(along with everything else :P ) but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Those 800+ dmg backstabs were a pretty good indicator that things weren't quite "there" yet lol. Keep up the good work fellas, the hype in the twitch chat was incredible!

• 85 posts
    March 11, 2016 6:05 PM PST

@Ceythos do you think that group buffs will be single target all the way? Or group aoe buffs will show up at higher lvls?

• 18 posts
    March 11, 2016 6:06 PM PST

I did see Aradune hit a mob for 10,000 dmg, so that's going to affect combat pace ;)

- I wondered if that was to save the group to keep the twitch pace going or whether he actually hit for that..

Excellent demo - really brings up the desire to play and see this succeed!   Thanks guys!

• 79 posts
    March 11, 2016 6:16 PM PST

Jesus, I was only seeing 20-30 damage hits usually. He DID have the Fiery Avenger though so that may have had something to do with it :P a proc or something perhaps

• 9115 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:08 PM PST

Ceythos said:

But we're not touching backstab, right? I mean it's perfectly balanced! ;)

• 1714 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:10 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Ceythos said:

But we're not touching backstab, right? I mean it's perfectly balanced! ;)

Says the rogue. 

• 84 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:12 PM PST
    Pace was a bit fast for me too. Lovrd the stream though
    • 220 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:39 PM PST

I thought the pace was impacted greatly by the fact that the rogue backstab was doing 900 damage while a nuke was around 100-150.  balance is for sure something unaddressed at this point, not to mention OP baskstabs!

• 1434 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:40 PM PST

I would also expect that root doesn't land every time on yellow and red con mobs. Not without debuffs at least.

I'm sure these are all on a long list of things to do.

• 37 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:43 PM PST

NERF ROGUES!

Personally I thought the pace of combat was ok.  The downtime led to some fun discussion and that's so rare in today's MMORPGs.

This post was edited by Solaris at March 11, 2016 7:51 PM PST
    • 383 posts
    March 11, 2016 8:01 PM PST

Stream was awesome and as usual The Crusher of Dreams was OP! 

I also felt that the pace was a bit fast for even con mobs. HOWEVER! Even in EQ the pace was a little faster soloing before level 10-15 for some classes. I felt that a few of the dps classes could have been soloing those orcs pretty easily. So the group was probably and overkill. Though I wouldn't mind having group content from level 5 onward, so slower kills for groups taking on bigger targets.  

• 671 posts
    March 11, 2016 11:43 PM PST

Happytrees said:

Just got done watching the live stream(game looks AMAZING btw guys, super excited to see what you've got planned down the road.) and I had a question about the pace of combat, specifically how long each mob typically survives in a fight. It seemed to me(and several others in the chat that I saw) that the mobs, even red cons, went down a bit more quickly than we had expected. Is this something that is a work in progress or is the current pace pretty much what we're going to have around launch?

They where lvl 7.

A red mob to them was probably lvl 10+.  Not to mention, these were just overland mobs in basically what is a starting zone. So these mobs where essentially yard trash..   But as you mentioned, the actual combat tweak & mob balancing will take place all throughout alpha & beta.

It is rare to see this level & depth of combat mechanics (even in basic form), in this early of a stage of development, let alone have such good class balance... with heals vs mitigated dmg, etc (ie: roles to play).