Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Raid Targets - Triggered by rare drops

• 163 posts
    July 31, 2015 1:31 PM PDT
    I had an idea that I thought i'd share and see if anyone else liked it. This idea is assuming that Pantheon will adopt the classic, competitive raiding style that many of us have enjoyed from the EARLY days.

Aside from spawn timers on major raid bosses, there was an alternative way to spawn that same raid target by way of a lengthy quest line, or an extremely rare and random drop from trash mobs. They can choose the time of spawn by their turn in, completion of quest, or some type of sacrifice spell on the item.

My reasoning for this is to allow competitive guilds to contest raid mobs but still allow a very limited amount of attempts at raid targets for the more casual players. It keeps 'trash' content relevant for all level ranges min-max and can even be a way to add some coin in someone's bank.

You could tweak the drop rate or difficulty of the quest line as not to take the advantage away from the hardcore guilds, however avoiding the discouragement that casual guilds feel when they're locked out of said content completely. I've been in smaller guilds before and sometimes it's just nice to look forward to a raid or event now and then, or even just to know that it's possible.
    This post was edited by Gadgets at August 3, 2015 10:30 PM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    July 31, 2015 3:39 PM PDT
    Im ok with it. But as Ive said before Id honestly be ok with most raid targets being this way (item or quest spawned) period. If the difficulty and RNG are ballanced right. I cant see it being a problem. Especially with things like 1 week lockouts for all who attempted (thats attempt not succede).
    • 308 posts
    July 31, 2015 6:39 PM PDT

I like the idea of spawning the targets, in Vanguard some boss monsters were only able to be spawned this way. i dont think it would be a stretch to make it useable for raid mobs.

I also like the idea of lockout timers for those who have taken down the target like we had in VG. it paces the community and allows for guilds that aren't poopsockers to try the high end content.

• 163 posts
    July 31, 2015 7:33 PM PDT

That's pretty cool. I am not up to date with modern day techniques.

I also did like, from Wurm Online, that epic mobs would spawn in random, often desolate places throughout the world. You'd never know where until someone actually laid eyes on it. Due to hazards and length of traveling, they could be anyone's target.

• 384 posts
    July 31, 2015 7:54 PM PDT
    I really like this idea for all the reasons you said, It prevents a single large guild from monoplizing a boss and allows the smaller guilds the opportunity to experience all the content as well.

On a related note, I experienced this while playing Archeage. Over the course of my adventuring I'd found a few pieces of some staff or something (forget what now) put it all together and took it to the location I was supposed to. I had no idea what was gonna happen I just thought it was some kind of turn in or something. Well, some big baddie spawned and promptly kicked my ass. lol what a surprise! Loved it. :)
    This post was edited by Malsirian at July 31, 2015 11:07 PM PDT
    • 158 posts
    August 1, 2015 2:47 AM PDT

I also would like to support this idea. It works well on its own but also works well as a compliment to normally spawning targets as is suggested here.

• 1434 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:39 AM PDT

I'm against work-arounds that allow players to spawn a different personal (guild) version of a raid mob. The reason raiding was so appealing in EQ (and totally unappealing in every game since), was largely due to the exclusivity and challenge of coordinating a large number of players with the necessary skill and gear prep, to kill a raid mob often with other guilds nipping at your heels.

That said, if there were a few lengthy quest lines that took weeks or months for guilds to work collectively to spawn a unique boss mob, I wouldn't be against that. As long as said mob was not in an instance and could hypothetically become fair game to others if the guild was unable to kill it (or contested on a PvP server). That would be interesting.

This post was edited by Dullahan at August 2, 2015 6:45 AM PDT
    • 107 posts
    August 2, 2015 9:02 AM PDT

I would be ok with an elaborate quest line that spawned a raid encounter that was then locked to a guild for say 2-3 hours then could be ganked....err politely waited for and you know, attempted only when the first guild gave up and all in good cheer allowed the next guy to have his shot.....LOLZ

But seriously, that way it would at least be worth someone's time to do the quest.

I like the whole every guild for themselves mentality, but if that isn't for everyone the above would be viable for both types of players perhaps.

• 2138 posts
    August 3, 2015 6:21 PM PDT

I like the idea, because I remember hearing some european players that sometimes lamented they could not get any epic or raid spawns due to guild lock-downs or "sockers". We had some Finnish friends that would come on late in the evening while we were heading in (early in the afternoon for them) on raid nights. So they would not be bound by time zones and could be more convenient to them)

This post was edited by Manouk at August 3, 2015 6:22 PM PDT
    • 453 posts
    August 3, 2015 10:30 PM PDT

I like the idea as well :)

• 1778 posts
    August 4, 2015 9:36 AM PDT
    Also just to add. Id like this on other named mobs as well. I understand some people support contested mobs over anything else. But do you really want every mob in the game to be contested?

Also I know some might get the impression that raids without contested mobs wouldt work. FFXIs Sea and Sky zones worked wonderfully in yhis regard. They were entire zones filled with dangerous regular mobs but also had 14 or so Named mobs. There were 5 "raid" targets in Sky that were all item spawned. However the other Named boss monsters dropped the items used to spawn the raid targets and were highly contested in XIs glory days. So you still had to fight over spawn items buy could later use those items to control when you did the raid. Just yet another angle for consideration.

Plus it was ridiculously fun running around a zone filled with NMs and racing to beat other guilds to claim.
    • 163 posts
    August 4, 2015 1:17 PM PDT
    Just to clarify. I'm all for contested mobs, i get the thrill of it, Ive played that way most of my EQ career. But there's no denying (and we saw it with P99 and now with progression servers) that hardcore, power gamers have become a stronger force since 1999. It was new then and a lot of people were still just trying to figure out how to play an online mmorpg in a 3D world, let alone trying to raid in it.

So unless there's just SO much content that a server can handle multiple guilds coexisting, I think having just a slight chance for less ambitious players to have a go at some content at their leisure will save a lot of headache and loss of the bread and butter /long term subscriptions.
    • 2138 posts
    August 4, 2015 5:39 PM PDT

I like the FFXI point Amsai brought up because it also reminds me that it might create a situation  like, where a dungeon was full of people? everyone running around and setting up camps in certain places,  and filling groups. The thrill I got when higher level players ran past us to the harder areas. the general hustle and bustle that was not overly contended, like groups in Paludal caverns (although xp was too fast) you could practically walk to the other end if you were a younger player and wanted to visit the other area, or the Warrens, with Invis'd people dragging stacks of corpses past you to the zone line for CR's and medding, while the younger players held the camps at the entrance in check to allow you to zone in and get your stuff safely even without a res, because you didn't need one as groups were so good. Allowing the top guild to get first crack, sure, but at the same time preventing epic or desired drops from rotting. How much steak can you eat?

• 81 posts
    August 17, 2015 7:53 AM PDT

I think I fall on both sides of the coin on this topic. The pendulum has swung from the one side that is EQ1 everything contested to the other side that is WoW where literally nothing is contested. I feel that the answer lies somewhere in between. Friends and I often stroll down memory lane in vent while raiding in WoW about contested content. It is rather funny listening to responses from those who have never played a game like EQ1. I often wonder how todays "hardcore raiders" would actually fair in a contested environment. I tend to think for most the culture shock would be to great not having what they want when they want it to much and they would rage quit. 

I think one cure for this is staggered spawn times. If raid targets are not on a hard 5 day or 7 day count but more random say 4 to 7 days it is harder for one guild to lock content down. With that being said I do like that triggered aspect as well. Anyone remember the 10th ring war? That was epic! And it was triggered. I also think faction can play a role in it also. I remember a friend of mine who was waiting and waiting for to find King Tormax up for a quest he showed his wife how to turn in the quest while he was at work if he spawned. She was so nervous she didnt want to screw it up if he spawned. I think also with so much instanced content now a days it forces the devs to put out content so much quicker because it is being consumed so much faster.

With all that being said I would be far more in favor of triggered raid mobs then full instances on weekly timers.

• 163 posts
    May 3, 2016 6:21 AM PDT

I wanted to revisit this topic here, as I have been playing on P99 again and it has had my gears turning. 

I think that a good mix of low/mid/high raiding tiers would definitely help the more casual guilds to have an uncontested place in the raid scene. When discussing with other group members, etc. The idea of being able to have a guild... and schedule a raid time is an attractive idea the way my life runs now in comparison to when I was an unemplyed college nerd. , Having to be hostage to competitive racing just isn't realistic for a lot of adults now.

Maybe we can come up with some ideas to balance competition and casual?

• 79 posts
    May 3, 2016 6:50 AM PDT

Other games have provided access to certain content via loot drops, and I really liked it. I see no reason that couldn't extend access to certain raid encounters.

I vote yea.

• 2130 posts
    May 3, 2016 7:17 AM PDT

Competition can come in the form of difficult of the encounters themselves.

The P99 raiding scene is about the bottom of the barrel. It's a style of gameplay that has lead to P99 being about as toxic as LoL on the top end, and it's an extremely inviting style of play for sociopaths with no life.

I will quit Pantheon on day one if the raiding ends up this way. Want to know why?

1. I don't want to have get phone calls at all times of day to come kill pixel monsters to be competitive in raiding.
    2. I don't want to have to poopsock for 7 hours so I can watch a pixel dragon spawn, and possibly not even be rewarded for it if our guild doesn't assemble to kill it fast enough.
    3. I don't want to have to deal with the generally horrible people that this style of gameplay appeals to.
    • 428 posts
    May 3, 2016 8:07 AM PDT

I would be okay with some raid mobs triggered by items but not all.  Contested should still exist no matter what 

• 163 posts
    May 3, 2016 8:27 AM PDT

Liav said:

Competition can come in the form of difficult of the encounters themselves.

I agree with this. I remember being in an end game guild in EQ Live During the OoW - DoDH era. The competition was still there, but in the form of server firsts, encounter skill, class numbers, keying, etc.

• 769 posts
    May 3, 2016 8:33 AM PDT

I'm really hoping that there is enough variation in all aspects of BiS gear and such that competition wouldn't get as bad as P99. I agree that the raid scene there is the worst I've ever witnessed. I go to those forums now just to get a chuckle out of all the anger thrown around.

Anyone who thinks these forums are toxic, take a stroll on over there.

• 1 posts
    May 3, 2016 8:36 AM PDT

I think it would be a great feature. In particular, lengthy questlines which require significant effort resulting in a quest item to spawn a major boss encounter would make the win all the sweeter. Perhaps requires multiple members of the raid to have the item in order to perform a ritual or whatever. Having this tied into the game lore is ideal of course. This isn't anything new to mmos but something that should be considered.

The think the game should include a variety of ways to engage/spawn raid encounters - open world, spawned for specific quests/progession, instanced, etc...without relying on one method. Variety is really key. Although I've never really understood the appeal of batphones, some love that sort of thing.

• 238 posts
    May 3, 2016 9:04 AM PDT
    Im not against it but I have seen what a high end guild will do when the need to farm group content for raid spawn items.
    If a guild is needing an item to spawn their raid target they simple camp everything that can drop it. So if it dropped from lets say frost giants you run into a single or multiple guilds camping every frost giant in the entire zone waiting for the drop forcing out normal exp groups. Raid night becomes camp group level mobs for hours just for a single shot at a target. Just food for thought.
    • 1778 posts
    May 3, 2016 10:34 AM PDT

Forgot all about this thread, but I actually have something perfect that fits right in with it. I have posted this idea previously in various threads, but it makes sense to post it here as it deals with the same thing. Ill repost. It also might take care of the issue you are talking about Xonth. For the recors Im for a varied approach to all content but especially endgame. Ok here it is:

FFXI's Sky style endgame content!

Its basically (to me) the perfect meeting of contested and non contested. Multiple Named in a large zone so no uberguild can be all places at once. Open world competition for trigger or pop items that drop from Named. Then using the trigger items to summon the Gods. All open world. All despawn on wipe (which means collecting pops again), unless another Guild grabs it. All have rare drop rates for loot should you beat them. No instancing, 50/50 ratio of competitive and triggered Named. Back in the day when competiton was fierce (4 to 6 guilds on any given night) and the Gods were relevent. My guild could expect to spend 2 of 3 nights just trying to get the pop items (3-5 hours a night) needed to trigger a Named by day three.... roughly. So it was almost like having a 72 hour lock out with the addition of rare loot tables (it wasnt unheard of to have 3 God runs in a row drop jack ****). It was also a dangerous zone and wasnt uncommon to come around a bend and find an entire guild of dead people lol.

This in my opinion would offer both contested content and something in place of instanced but still be open world and also be a dangerous and challenging place. It could be tweaked to fit Pantheon as well. 

Two reasons I want this: 1. Some of the most fun experience in large group/raid style activity I have ever had (there were several types including instanced in FFXI, but I always liked this one best). 2. I would hope this might provide a good middle ground solution for contested vs instanced content (Or even random any time content vs content you can time with your guild... at least in part)

• 30 posts
    May 3, 2016 12:10 PM PDT

Xonth said: Raid night becomes camp group level mobs for hours just for a single shot at a target.

This is an interesting comment and leads to the question, what type of raid schedule should guilds expect in Pantheon?  

In early EQ, raiding was based on the content respawn schedule.  There were often raid nights with nothing to raid, or where the raid would form up and wait around for either a specific respawn or for scouts to find something that was up.  

In most current MMOs, raiding is based more on the players schedule because they know there will always be content available.  That is mostly due to instancing but there are plenty of others ways to achieve that goal: a LOT more raid content, faster respawn times, triggering mechanics like this thread mentions, etc.  But is that even a goal in Pantheon (and should it be)?.

• 2130 posts
    May 3, 2016 1:09 PM PDT

Kalgore said:

I would be okay with some raid mobs triggered by items but not all.  Contested should still exist no matter what 

Why?