Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Unbelievable Frustrations and Letdowns!

• VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    October 25, 2023 7:45 PM PDT

viirin said:

Savanja said:

How could it be full steam ahead until the idea is hashed out and tested? Feedback first. That has always been the plan.

Maybe you can tell us why the only feedback that matters is VIPs. Why don't you care what the rest of us think?

We do care. Currently, the feedback we need is from people who are playing the game. As announcements are made and information is released, we will be watching and reading the general community very closely.

• 194 posts
    October 25, 2023 8:05 PM PDT
    Fulton said:
    Isn't listening the masses, how we got so many watered down MMO's to begin with?

And ignoring them is how we got an extraction game. What's your point exactly?
    • 252 posts
    October 25, 2023 8:16 PM PDT
    Fulton said:
    Isn't listening the masses, how we got so many watered down MMO's to begin with?

We aren't exactly "the masses". We are the people who have given them hundreds and thousands of dollars because we believe in a classically spirited MMO. I really don't see a group of people who believe in that so much that they put their money on the line are going to work to water down Pantheon.
    This post was edited by Ruinar at October 25, 2023 8:16 PM PDT
    • 80 posts
    October 25, 2023 10:07 PM PDT
    Savanja said:

viirin said:

Savanja said:

How could it be full steam ahead until the idea is hashed out and tested? Feedback first. That has always been the plan.

Maybe you can tell us why the only feedback that matters is VIPs. Why don't you care what the rest of us think?

We do care. Currently, the feedback we need is from people who are playing the game. As announcements are made and information is released, we will be watching and reading the general community very closely.

How can an extraction game help test a group based MMORPG when it's not even in the same sub-genre? Any feedback you get will be borderline useless or even counterproductive.

If you're having trouble with testing, it's because people that spend $1k to get into pre-alpha are not even remotely objective. Most of them will fear rocking the boat and praise you for going to the bathroom without assistance. That isn't the case right now but it has been for the past 5 years. If you want meaningful testing, give keys to random D&D fans with no skin in the game.
    • 902 posts
    October 26, 2023 1:01 AM PDT
    Savanja, I am glad you care and I hope you understand that we do too. We care deeply. Can you understand why we are hurt (yes that is the right word) by your (VR) actions over this?

I totally get that testing and class structures and the like are in the VIP domain and rightly so, thus far.

However, when there is such a change in trajectory (i.e., total graphics style overhaul or a separate game that does affect Pantheon getting to an Alpha state), then I do believe that every backer, no matter how small there contribution, should have a say. You allow input with, classes, races, class/race availability, and discussed every aspect of how it will be played and seemed to read the various discussions. But, when it comes down to something even bigger, you close down comms then implement changes behind the scenes and only tell us when forced.

Allowing VIP only feedback to discuss how the game is, how it feels, tweaks, faults, et. al., I get; protect these details behind NDA. Hiding huge changes to the style of the game and implementing things which impact directly on the development of the game or creating a completely different genre sub game (or whatever you want to call it) to make money, without input from everyone committed to the game? No. It just is not right. If you cannot see why the community you wanted to build up for this game is shouting at you, then you obviously feel apart from that community, or maybe you are happy that there are tiers of community and you only ever listen to the few who have large disposable incomes and all this is meaningless.

You keep saying that this will save time; how? It will take time and resources to create the game to a polished enough state to make money from. So, for example, if you suspend development of Pantheon for 12 month to create a game, but it save 4 months overall for Pantheon, then is it worth it? Not from where I am standing. It means that 12 months of stand still for Pantheon, then a further 8 months of development before we see any improvements. And I am guessing that this is very a conservative figure. If you are doing this because of funding, then, that is a different matter and you should be up front about that too. But these dribs and drabs of information, have done you no favours what so ever and just about everyone posting here is furious at the way this has been handled. The community you hoped to build for Pantheon feels totally let down by your actions.

This is not great.

Oh and fix the formatting on here! <- quoting doesnt work, font size changes doesnt work. Feeling less and less professional here!
    This post was edited by chenzeme at October 26, 2023 1:41 AM PDT
    • 79 posts
    October 26, 2023 4:29 AM PDT

Do you think if they really cared about your opinion they would have drastically changed the graphics without consulting with you?  Could have been a simple survey they sent out to you.  The least they owed you after lying with the DiViare videos and Faerthale videos.  They don't care.  Think they care about your opinion on 247 and stopping the MMO to work on it?  

Again they will release information and announcements on their time, then apparently read your comments and then do what with it exactly?  Again is reading communication?  No of course it isn't.  Watch this newsletter from Ben Dean remind you that you are "confused", you "assumed" the wrong thing.  Watch how much they integrate the backlash to 247, put their money where there mouth is.  If they are ACTUALLY listening to you, they will stop 247, and Ben Dean will agree to have an honest discussion about their production time left remaining with current funding.  They will ask the community for input on ways to monetize the game without veering off into the 247 direction.  However how much you want to bet they will still continue to go in the direction of 247.  Then you will understand how much they care about you.  I hope I am wrong and they actually change their direction.

• 173 posts
    October 26, 2023 6:01 AM PDT
    Prevenge said:
    A lot of assumptions have been made in regard to the intent and implementation of the 24/7 play mode and I understand the upset. We are using a testing mode in NDA-protected pre-alpha testing session. This testing mode is testing primarily MMO mechanics. No decisions have been made regarding the use of this testing mode beyond that. Information is planned to be released as it becomes relevant. We release information to the VIPs while it is being considered to gain feedback, and that will likely continue to be the case.
    Right on cue. I get that it's your job to come in here and defend your company decisions, even after, or especially after a situation like this happens, but doing so isn't helping anything. This isn't reassuring, it's just making people angry. Please consider dropping the defensive mode, the damage is already done and moving all company communication into a more open and honest format. Imagine how different things would have been if a communication was made 3 months ago, along these lines: Exclusive Testing Opportunity Announcement! We're thrilled to update you on our progress towards the eagerly awaited MMORPG, Pantheon: Rise of the fallen. While we continue to diligently craft the immersive world you've been eagerly anticipating, we've reached a crucial juncture where we require your assistance in testing integral systems. Introducing a novel testing tool inspired by extraction-style games like Escape from Tarkov and The Division's Dark Zone, but infused with MMORPG mechanics. This exciting development brings new dimensions to the world of Terminus, and we can't wait for you to experience it firsthand. What's even more thrilling? Pledgers like you will have the exclusive opportunity to access this testing environment, free of charge. For many of you, this will be your first chance to enter the world of Terminus! Your participation will be instrumental in collecting invaluable data, ranging from mob testing to assessing the solo abilities of each class, to testing out individual parts of the world, all of which will play a pivotal role in refining the Pantheon experience. Don't miss out on this opportunity to be a vital part of the Terminus journey. Stay tuned for further details on how you can dive into this exciting testing phase and help shape the future of our MMORPG. Join us in forging the path ahead!
    Wow, get Prevenge in the Marketing / Communications team… ASAP!!!
    • 326 posts
    October 26, 2023 6:14 AM PDT
    Just checking in....and, the dumpster fire is still burning
    • 173 posts
    October 26, 2023 6:38 AM PDT
    Thunderleg said: Just checking in....and, the dumpster fire is still burning
    Good morning Thunderleg! I hope you are having a nice cup of coffee [insert your favorite morning drink]. This is just a spark. Just wait until the Producer’s Letter comes out. We will read all the spin and how things are going fine and the marriage of an extraction genera game with Pantheon is just what we need. We just don’t understand. Over the last two months, it feels like they love telling their community that we are stupid, and our opinions don’t matter. Will we get any real, honest answers. I’m scared we will not. I’ve been a strong supporter of this game since 2017, but the last two months have been a total s#!)show and have forced me to take off my rose-colored glasses.
    • 368 posts
    October 26, 2023 6:39 AM PDT

Fulton said: Isn't listening the masses, how we got so many watered down MMO's to begin with?

Yes!

• 173 posts
    October 26, 2023 6:47 AM PDT
    lotuss79 said:
    Savanja said:
    Duderino said:
    Savanja said:
    A lot of assumptions have been made in regard to the intent and implementation of the 24/7 play mode and I understand the upset. We are using a testing mode in NDA-protected pre-alpha testing session. This testing mode is testing primarily MMO mechanics. No decisions have been made regarding the use of this testing mode beyond that. Information is planned to be released as it becomes relevant. We release information to the VIPs while it is being considered to gain feedback, and that will likely continue to be the case.
    This is the type of speak that people are rightly upset about. Your coworkers have just recently given confirmation that none of this is the case. They confirmed that 24/7 is not "just an internal testing mode" and nothing more. They have Confirmed that they intend to monetize 24/7 as a stand alone game. "No decisions have been made regarding the use of this testing mode"? They have confirmed that they have spend the better part of the last 6+ months on this, and intend to continue on it into 2024. You can try to re-write history, but this is all Fresh information. (like within the last week!) The powers that be at VR must think their customers are pretty gullible. Just admit making a mistake and get back on the original track if at all possible at this point. And if not explain why in forthright laguange.
    As I read the messages from Mods it does feel like they think we are gullible, and they can spin things a few times and we will just drink the Kool-Aid. Like lotuss79 suggested, please VR + Mods admit making a mistake and get back on track. If you honestly don’t think you’ve made a mistake, then explain why in simple and forthright language. And hopefully that will be in the Producer’s Letter. *fingers crossed*
    • 173 posts
    • 248 posts
    October 26, 2023 7:01 AM PDT
    NegativeNRG said:
    October Producer’s Letter: [url=https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/_2023/october/]https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/_2023/october/

Yeah, read it. Watched the video. It was a interest crushing few moments.
    So disappointed.
    • 48 posts
    October 26, 2023 7:32 AM PDT
    I can't say I am surprised, I mean I pledged for alpha access in 2016. They of course scammed us out of that, when they started selling access to "pre-alpha", when it was really just alpha and a way to renege on their alpha pledge, delay the game longer, while also duping more people into paying even more for exclusive access to "pre-alpha". That was when I lost faith in them and realized that I had made the mistake of giving my money to a dishonest company. I think only the diehards sill believe in this project, the rest of us have no trust left for VR, they used it all up.
    This post was edited by Jeremiahcp at October 26, 2023 7:37 AM PDT
    • 48 posts
    October 26, 2023 7:41 AM PDT

Savanja said:

viirin said:

Savanja said:

If you really cared about the MMO community, you would stop selling pledges for a MMO that is never going to come out. 

• 18 posts
    October 26, 2023 8:02 AM PDT

Savanja said:

viirin said:

Savanja said:

It doesn’t feel like you care.

Honestly making up a new pledge perk access tier makes me feel like you only care about getting me to give you more money. Why not just give access to all alpha pledgers right away?

some others have posted the reasons why it feels like you don’t care. Major changes only announced to us after the fact. NDA isn’t an excuse because you guys control what’s under NDA and whether there is one at all. Hiding behind an NDA is the opposite of transparency.

• 3852 posts
    October 26, 2023 8:22 AM PDT
    Manifestly, they did not get enough people to make the huge leap from alpha access to pre-alpha access and are now giving it away to people at the $750 U.S. pledge level in the hope than many at lower levels will find that kind of increase more palatable.

Bad timing, friends. You would have gotten far more of us to take this plunge to share in testing Pantheon - the MMO.

To share in testing Pantheon-lite - the extraction game. Maybe not so much.
    • 173 posts
    October 26, 2023 8:36 AM PDT
    dorotea said:
    Manifestly, they did not get enough people to make the huge leap from alpha access to pre-alpha access and are now giving it away to people at the $750 U.S. pledge level in the hope than many at lower levels will find that kind of increase more palatable.

Bad timing, friends. You would have gotten far more of us to take this plunge to share in testing Pantheon - the MMO.

To share in testing Pantheon-lite - the extraction game. Maybe not so much.

I would have easily dropped another $450 to test Pantheon - the MMORPG. But I'm suppose to give them another $450 when they give us ZERO reasons why this is an extraction game, something I would have not supported in 2017, over an MMORPG. It makes zero sense. VR gives no reason why 24/7 cant be a MMORPG and that scares me.
    • 173 posts
    October 26, 2023 8:43 AM PDT
    VR said:
    players consume content much faster than we can keep up with. Thus, the 247 game mode was conceived.

This is the reason you are not making a MMORPG mini game?! Crank down XP and loot drops and problem is solved. Obviously, this is a PR reason and not the real reason. So frustrating an annoying.
    • 79 posts
    October 26, 2023 9:06 AM PDT

. This is the reason you are not making a MMORPG mini game?! Crank down XP and loot drops and problem is solved. Obviously, this is a PR reason and not the real reason. So frustrating an annoying.

Community : Sell us a single player RPG game, make a mini dungeon people can run for testing, reduce mob hp and reduce xp.  Create some kind of small starter zone we can participate in.  ANYTHING.  

VR : Sorry best we can do is a random extraction mode no one asked for.

• 233 posts
    October 26, 2023 10:34 AM PDT
    Arent we eligible for refunds since the game we backed no longer exists?
    • 185 posts
    October 26, 2023 10:45 AM PDT
    NegativeNRG said:
    VR said:
    players consume content much faster than we can keep up with. Thus, the 247 game mode was conceived.

This is the reason you are not making a MMORPG mini game?! Crank down XP and loot drops and problem is solved. Obviously, this is a PR reason and not the real reason. So frustrating an annoying.

Lol yep, its not like they had a 10 year head start on their customers to create content or anything.

The reasoning is bizarre.

VR: we don't have enough content for our customers.

Customers: so are you going to create more content?

VR: no, we're going to focus on an extraction game.

You and Xerion are absolutely right. They could slow down xp advancement, do regular character wipes, restrict play time to just weekends etc.

They need to go back to the Original (great) game and let Alpha pledgers into that.

And above all, Need to go back to the Original (great) art style.
    This post was edited by lotuss79 at October 26, 2023 11:01 AM PDT
    • 26 posts
    October 26, 2023 11:02 AM PDT

Man walks into a diner and asks for a menu. The waitress says “No menus, you name it we got it.”

Man smiles and asks for a nice prime rib. The waitress replies “Sorry.”

The man thinks this must be a great place to run out so fast, then asks for Penne Alla Vodka. But, again “Sorry”.

Wow, a mixed cuisine and they still run out quick. He is hungry, so he sticks to a diner tradition – old school – meat loaf and mash’. After the third sorry, he says “Wait a minute, you said that if I name it, you got it.”

Waitress, “You haven’t named it yet.”

• 48 posts
    October 26, 2023 11:36 AM PDT
    Grimseethe said: Arent we eligible for refunds since the game we backed no longer exists?

No. That was a risk we always knew was possible. I think mainly people are upset because of the shifting goal post and the lack of transparency. Over time the community has just lost trust in VR. So naturally this leak worries people, since they simply don't trust VR to remain true to their pledge to make a MMO.
    This post was edited by Jeremiahcp at October 26, 2023 11:37 AM PDT
    • 1282 posts
    October 26, 2023 2:17 PM PDT

Grimseethe said: Arent we eligible for refunds since the game we backed no longer exists?

The game doesn't exist?  I think someone fed you false information. Or maybe I've been in a dream the last 27 days.  Hmmmm