Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Unbelievable Frustrations and Letdowns!

• 326 posts
    October 25, 2023 8:41 AM PDT
    Savanja - "A lot of assumptions have been made in regard to the intent and implementation of the 24/7"

Director of Communications, Ben Dean - "We believe the marriage between MMO and Extraction is something that will speak to a much larger audience than we have reached to date and we are exploring that opportunity."

Not much of an assumption...
    • 167 posts
    October 25, 2023 8:49 AM PDT

A lot of assumptions have been made in regard to the intent and implementation of the 24/7 play mode and I understand the upset. We are using a testing mode in NDA-protected pre-alpha testing session. This testing mode is testing primarily MMO mechanics. No decisions have been made regarding the use of this testing mode beyond that. Information is planned to be released as it becomes relevant. We release information to the VIPs while it is being considered to gain feedback, and that will likely continue to be the case.

Right on cue.

I get that it's your job to come in here and defend your company decisions, even after, or especially after a situation like this happens, but doing so isn't helping anything. This isn't reassuring, it's just making people angry. Please consider dropping the defensive mode, the damage is already done and moving all company communication into a more open and honest format.

Imagine how different things would have been if a communication was made 3 months ago, along these lines:

Exclusive Testing Opportunity Announcement!

We're thrilled to update you on our progress towards the eagerly awaited MMORPG, Pantheon: Rise of the fallen. While we continue to diligently craft the immersive world you've been eagerly anticipating, we've reached a crucial juncture where we require your assistance in testing integral systems.

Introducing a novel testing tool inspired by extraction-style games like Escape from Tarkov and The Division's Dark Zone, but infused with MMORPG mechanics. This exciting development brings new dimensions to the world of Terminus, and we can't wait for you to experience it firsthand.

What's even more thrilling? Pledgers like you will have the exclusive opportunity to access this testing environment, free of charge. For many of you, this will be your first chance to enter the world of Terminus! Your participation will be instrumental in collecting invaluable data, ranging from mob testing to assessing the solo abilities of each class, to testing out individual parts of the world, all of which will play a pivotal role in refining the Pantheon experience.

Don't miss out on this opportunity to be a vital part of the Terminus journey. Stay tuned for further details on how you can dive into this exciting testing phase and help shape the future of our MMORPG.

Join us in forging the path ahead!
    • 326 posts
    October 25, 2023 8:59 AM PDT
    Prevenge - marketing and communications guru! -I like it
    This post was edited by Thunderleg at October 25, 2023 9:55 AM PDT
    • 79 posts
    October 25, 2023 9:46 AM PDT

"A lot of assumptions have been made in regard to the intent and implementation of the 24/7 play mode and I understand the upset."

Translation : You people made assumptions based on the lack of communication from our company, which is your fault for making those assumptions due to our lack of transparency and communication.

"We are using a testing mode in NDA-protected pre-alpha testing session. This testing mode is testing primarily MMO mechanics.  No decisions have been made regarding the use of this testing mode beyond that. "

Translation :  Why do you guys think this is a different game mode for more money?  We only said the MMO testing would shut down for 247 testing and then we said it might fund our MMORPG.  Why are you guys worried so much about this game mode?  Trust us, please give us more trust, you guys just don't understand our grand plan, the MMO is the future.  It is just testing we promise!  See we really never made those decisions about ditching the MMO, it was just you who made the wrong assumptions.

"Information is planned to be released as it becomes relevant. We release information to the VIPs while it is being considered to gain feedback, and that will likely continue to be the case."

Translation : Everyone else who donated money and everyone else who will support our MMO in the future, they will have no say or input on massive changes in art and game modes etc.  Any massive changes to the game will still only be within this small group.  We will let the "greater community" know about our massive changes to the game when we will feel ready to let you know.  Please enjoy your newsletters until we are ready to inform you.  You have no input on OUR game.  It isn't YOUR game.

• 167 posts
    October 25, 2023 9:50 AM PDT
    Thunderleg said:
    Prevenge - marketing and communications guru!

I just want the best for the game and the company that's making it and it's community. That's it.
    • 194 posts
    October 25, 2023 10:03 AM PDT
    Xerion said:

Translation : Everyone else who donated money and everyone else who will support our MMO in the future, they will have no say or input on massive changes in art and game modes etc. Any massive changes to the game will still only be within this small group. We will let the "greater community" know about our massive changes to the game when we will feel ready to let you know. Please enjoy your newsletters until we are ready to inform you. You have no input on OUR game. It isn't YOUR game.

You forgot the line about company vision which coincidentally has room for VIP feedback but no one else's.
    • 26 posts
    October 25, 2023 10:04 AM PDT

"I just want the best for the game and the company that's making it and it's community. That's it"

I wonder without all the drama if VR has simply been upfront on finances by allowing some 10.000 alpha pledges in to the "testing" phase for say $10-15/mo.

How many of us would have hesitated if we could see/play -sort of- and continue to contribute to the game? Maybe $50,000-$100,000 a month?

Will '247' make more?

Just asking.

Prevenge, I agree that seems to be what we all want, but how to recover from this shipwreck?

• 185 posts
    October 25, 2023 10:08 AM PDT
    Savanja said:
    Duderino said:
    Savanja said:
    A lot of assumptions have been made in regard to the intent and implementation of the 24/7 play mode and I understand the upset. We are using a testing mode in NDA-protected pre-alpha testing session. This testing mode is testing primarily MMO mechanics. No decisions have been made regarding the use of this testing mode beyond that. Information is planned to be released as it becomes relevant. We release information to the VIPs while it is being considered to gain feedback, and that will likely continue to be the case.
    This is the type of speak that people are rightly upset about. Your coworkers have just recently given confirmation that none of this is the case. They confirmed that 24/7 is not "just an internal testing mode" and nothing more. They have Confirmed that they intend to monetize 24/7 as a stand alone game. "No decisions have been made regarding the use of this testing mode"? They have confirmed that they have spend the better part of the last 6+ months on this, and intend to continue on it into 2024. You can try to re-write history, but this is all Fresh information. (like within the last week!) The powers that be at VR must think their customers are pretty gullible. Just admit making a mistake and get back on the original track if at all possible at this point. And if not explain why in forthright laguange.
    This post was edited by lotuss79 at October 25, 2023 10:14 AM PDT
    • 79 posts
    October 25, 2023 10:09 AM PDT

justdrop said:
    Xerion said: Translation : Everyone else who donated money and everyone else who will support our MMO in the future, they will have no say or input on massive changes in art and game modes etc. Any massive changes to the game will still only be within this small group. We will let the "greater community" know about our massive changes to the game when we will feel ready to let you know. Please enjoy your newsletters until we are ready to inform you. You have no input on OUR game. It isn't YOUR game.
    You forgot the line about company vision which coincidentally has room for VIP feedback but no one else's.

Exactly.  Look if a VIP wants to give feedback on the appearance of armor, the color of a spell, the tuning of an ability, the feedback on the story or whatever.  Something minor.  I understand, they are a VIP.  But when you make MASSIVE changes to the game in art style and this game mode, and then tell me only VIP members get a say on that.  No thank you.  I will just stop following your game.  If I bought a house and some interior design made some changes to the way furniture is arranged, fine whatever.  But if the interior designer goes, oh by the way the house is now a tent in the woods.  No those kinds of BIG decisions require BIG input.

• 194 posts
    October 25, 2023 10:12 AM PDT
    Xerion said:

justdrop said:
    Xerion said: Translation : Everyone else who donated money and everyone else who will support our MMO in the future, they will have no say or input on massive changes in art and game modes etc. Any massive changes to the game will still only be within this small group. We will let the "greater community" know about our massive changes to the game when we will feel ready to let you know. Please enjoy your newsletters until we are ready to inform you. You have no input on OUR game. It isn't YOUR game.

Exactly. Look if a VIP wants to give feedback on the appearance of armor, the color of a spell, the tuning of an ability, the feedback on the story or whatever. Something minor. I understand, they are a VIP. But when you make MASSIVE changes to the game in art style and this game mode, and then tell me only VIP members get a say on that. No thank you. I will just stop following your game. If I bought a house and some interior design made some changes to the way furniture is arranged, fine whatever. But if the interior designer goes, oh by the way the house is now a tent in the woods. No those kinds of BIG decisions require BIG input.

The reason is simple. VIPs invested more money and thus are more reluctant to go against the echo chamber that is the company at this point. Also is it just me or is the formatting in these forums getting worse?
    This post was edited by justdrop at October 25, 2023 10:12 AM PDT
    • 167 posts
    October 25, 2023 10:38 AM PDT
    Inselberg said:

"I just want the best for the game and the company that's making it and it's community. That's it"

I wonder without all the drama if VR has simply been upfront on finances by allowing some 10.000 alpha pledges in to the "testing" phase for say $10-15/mo.

How many of us would have hesitated if we could see/play -sort of- and continue to contribute to the game? Maybe $50,000-$100,000 a month?

Will '247' make more?

Just asking.

Prevenge, I agree that seems to be what we all want, but how to recover from this shipwreck?

Isn't the way forward kind of obvious?

1. Apologize and Accept Responsibility. - Apologize for the unintended leak and the negative impact it has had, so far. Admit that people are upset and rightly so, but from today forward, you want to get back on track with the community.

2. Re-explain the testing tool to everyone. Look at my previous post, for how I would have worded it. You can still recover from this, let people know that anyone who has pledged will get a chance to try out the mode, but most important ASSURE everyone that it is nothing but a tool to test out different mechanics, for set periods of time. Give us a layout, EG. We want to test solo class ability, this week, everyone please try out the classes and provide feedback on how your solo experiences were with each of the classes you tested. 2nd week could be we want to test a new zone, we are implementing zone Y for this week, testers please enjoy, and try to do some exploring! See if you can get stuck in a tree! See if you can fall through the world! Keep us updated on anything hilarious that happens to you, so we can assure it's fixed in the future!

3. Emphasize the positive. Stop defending your current position. Is this your first time using the internet in 2023? The damage is done already, taking a defensive stance on the internet just gives more fodder for more negative comments, you cannot stop it or change the outcome. But what you can do, is do your best to re-focus on the positive aspect of this. Make sure people know from TODAY that when this tool goes live Alpha and up pledgers will have free access to it. Be a little "ballsy" and say that yes this is an exclusive opportunity. Because it is. Despite everything that just happened, you still have the same amount of people (and potentially more[no press is bad press]) who very much want to have their first experience into the world of Terminus. Myself included. Focus on the positive.

4. Community involvement. Don't just push the new mode and hope people pay for it. Host events, have VR devs announce weekends they will be playing online, as what character names they are going to be using, ensure they will be on PVP servers. Let the community have a little fun with you guys and slowly start moving past all this. Host events where maybe you can get a funny little transmog item, like a dumb little thing just for kicks, for being part of a specific test you need to run that weekend. Ideas in this vein are easy to come up with at a round table.

5. TRANSPARENCY + ASSURANCE. Going forward, now that you've started repairing the damage and started regaining the trust of your LIFEBLOOD, your community, now you can make a company vow to move forward with absolute transparency. That was what people liked about VR in the past, I heard it mentioned over and over in countless situations. Now you hear the complete opposite and just as loudly and just as often. Transparency comments sound good. Secrecy comments sound bad..

While this is just napkin-math, so to speak, at least to me this feels like the pretty obvious choice forward for any company in a publicly negative situation, like this one.
    • 174 posts
    October 25, 2023 11:59 AM PDT

umm yeah, so most of your assumptions regarding VIPs are wrong. Maybe stick to what you know and not what you assume. Still under NDA so I'll leave it at that...

• VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    October 25, 2023 12:06 PM PDT

lotuss79 said:  This is the type of speak that people are rightly upset about. Your coworkers have just recently given confirmation that none of this is the case. They confirmed that 24/7 is not "just an internal testing mode" and nothing more. They have Confirmed that they intend to monetize 24/7 as a stand alone game. "No decisions have been made regarding the use of this testing mode"? They have confirmed that they have spend the better part of the last 6+ months on this, and intend to continue on it into 2024. You can try to re-write history, but this is all Fresh information. (like within the last week!) The powers that be at VR must think their customers are pretty gullible. Just admit making a mistake and get back on the original track if at all possible at this point. And if not explain why in forthright laguange.

I see the confusion. Perhaps you can point me to the information that confirms the decision? As I see it internally, we are still in the process of getting information and feedback and there is no final decision. If there were one, there would be no reason to beat around the bush or delay its announcement.

• 194 posts
    October 25, 2023 12:09 PM PDT
    Chimerical said:

umm yeah, so most of your assumptions regarding VIPs are wrong. Maybe stick to what you know and not what you assume. Still under NDA so I'll leave it at that...

Oh I'm sure it's changed now but in the past it was full steam ahead.
    • VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    October 25, 2023 12:10 PM PDT

justdrop said:
    Chimerical said: umm yeah, so most of your assumptions regarding VIPs are wrong. Maybe stick to what you know and not what you assume. Still under NDA so I'll leave it at that...

How could it be full steam ahead until the idea is hashed out and tested? Feedback first. That has always been the plan.

• 194 posts
    October 25, 2023 12:16 PM PDT
    Savanja said:

justdrop said:
    Chimerical said: umm yeah, so most of your assumptions regarding VIPs are wrong. Maybe stick to what you know and not what you assume. Still under NDA so I'll leave it at that...

How could it be full steam ahead until the idea is hashed out and tested? Feedback first. That has always been the plan.

I apologize, I meant the feedback was fully supportive of the development team in the past. I imagine it's much more hesitant in there now.
    • 79 posts
    October 25, 2023 12:22 PM PDT

"Perhaps you can point me to the information that confirms the decision?"

They want to play word games with you.  If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, it must be a dog.

Joppa

"so there will be several we hold back for when the MMO testing is ready to ramp back up"

As the leak pointed out and Joppa talked about in the Discord chat, you and your company were deciding to put the MMO development on hold for this game mode.  

Now the word game you want to play with us is that no no see, development of the MMO will continue while we also work on the 247 mode and the 247 mode might help us fund the game.  No we never confirmed that decision.  Oh wait, you mean we massively changed the graphics without telling you, yeah but I mean we wouldn't do that with anything else would we?

Now the argument oh no see you people are confused, there is confusion we never made that decision.  It is you the gamers who are confused.  Well strange enough you made a MASSIVE change to the artstyle without consulting with the greater community.  Maybe I can see your confusion in understanding why a community that just had the rug pulled under them from the graphics, from videos you released like DiViare and Faerthale, why they aren't really trusting that you aren't making decisions regarding 247 and the Pantheon MMO.  Your confusion Sav and your company's confusion seems to come from a complete misunderstanding of communication.  But after speaking with you I can understand your confusion on those words and the feelings of the gamers who support your game.

• 326 posts
    October 25, 2023 1:43 PM PDT
    Was the NDA leak a Machiavellian ploy to break the news, or a profoundly concerned supporter horrified at the direction development was taking?

Either way, Rome is burning. The firefighting brigade may wish to rethink placing incendiary material onto the conflagration.
    This post was edited by Thunderleg at October 25, 2023 1:44 PM PDT
    • 18 posts
    October 25, 2023 3:11 PM PDT

Savanja said:

Maybe you can tell us why the only feedback that matters is VIPs. Why don't you care what the rest of us think?

• 1283 posts
    October 25, 2023 3:29 PM PDT

I don't want to speak for VR, but I imagine getting feedback about what's under NDA from people that have seen what's under NDA would have more value.

• 79 posts
    October 25, 2023 3:53 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

I don't want to speak for VR, but I imagine getting feedback about what's under NDA from people that have seen what's under NDA would have more value.

No problem with giving feedback on actions, skills, colors on weapons, effects, story all that is fine.  That is what VIP access should be for.  But fundamentally shifting directions in game mode and fundamentally changing the art style is not under NDA.  That is a complete shift in the game itself and needs to be addressed writ large.  Especially when you show videos like DiViare and Faerthale and then go woops sorry actually going painted style.  And then talking about a game mode called 247, stopping the MMO to work on it and then going woops you thought it was an MMORPG turns out Extraction is the future as Ben Dean says!  Ummm no, none of us signed on to that.  

• 1283 posts
    October 25, 2023 4:08 PM PDT

I don't think there is a fundamental shift in direction of the game.  Their number one priority is making me the MMO of my dreams.  Whatever it takes to get it built...including testing in whatever environments they choose and if/how they want to raise funds along the way.

As far as the art change, I understand the idea of asking for the communities opinion, but I'm not sure it would have been a good idea.  What do you do when the community votes for something that just isn't a good decision for the company moving forward?  We'd vote for all kinds of things that they just wouldn't be able to do, haha.  And we might vote against things that we don't have a good understanding of.

• 18 posts
    October 25, 2023 4:10 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

If this "game mode" is under NDA, then WHY is it under NDA? Because for all their talk of being open and transparent, keeping it under NDA is not open or transparent. I mean, I guess they're being open and transparent with the VIPs (maybe, I can't say for sure), but they certainly are not being open and transparent with the rest of us. If they want to know what the Pantheon Community thinks of this game mode, they can simply show us and ask. But that would be actually open and transparent. (Yeah, yeah, they're showing us a video in tomorrow's producer's letter. They're still not going to care what any of us have to say about it. The decision will have been made, for that is the only time we get to know, when it is already done.

• 79 posts
    October 25, 2023 4:34 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

I don't think there is a fundamental shift in direction of the game.  Their number one priority is making me the MMO of my dreams.  Whatever it takes to get it built...including testing in whatever environments they choose and if/how they want to raise funds along the way.

As far as the art change, I understand the idea of asking for the communities opinion, but I'm not sure it would have been a good idea.  What do you do when the community votes for something that just isn't a good decision for the company moving forward?  We'd vote for all kinds of things that they just wouldn't be able to do, haha.  And we might vote against things that we don't have a good understanding of.

I do think there is and many others do as well.  You keep using the word "testing", and then talk about raising funds.  How about raising funds off the MMO?  Heck make a single player RPG from the game first and raise funds that way.  That is closer than an extraction mode.  It doesn't seem to be just "testing" as you and Sav keep saying, no they are using the word Extraction and even Ben Dean came out and said so.  So no sorry the just "testing" thing doesn't really cut it anymore.

"What do you do when the community votes for something that just isn't a good decision for the company moving forward?"
    ???  This game wouldn't exist without the votes of the community funding it. 

"We'd vote for all kinds of things that they just wouldn't be able to do, haha.  And we might vote against things that we don't have a good understanding of."
    Correct and then you integrate that feedback and try to find a compromise or middle ground.  That is what is called communication.

• 793 posts
    October 25, 2023 7:35 PM PDT
    Isn't listening the masses, how we got so many watered down MMO's to begin with?