Forums » Crafting

Unofficial Ask Neph anything thread

• 226 posts
    April 5, 2021 10:54 PM PDT
    So one thing I was thinking about in I guess might be a concern is will there be enough crafting assets nodes and would not in the starting areas so that people can work on equipping themselves within Pantheon during launch. I guess what I mean by this is in the area where you be between 1 and 5 or possibly 1 to 10 are we going to be able to find nodes for all the crafting systems not saying they're abundant but at least there. And on that will just be kind of equal-ish for every race
    • 1828 posts
    April 6, 2021 7:43 AM PDT

Raidil said: So one thing I was thinking about in I guess might be a concern is will there be enough crafting assets nodes and would not in the starting areas so that people can work on equipping themselves within Pantheon during launch. I guess what I mean by this is in the area where you be between 1 and 5 or possibly 1 to 10 are we going to be able to find nodes for all the crafting systems not saying they're abundant but at least there. And on that will just be kind of equal-ish for every race

That is a valid concern my friend!  Our goal is definitely to ensure that starting areas have enough in the way of available resources to help support the player population at launch - but it will be a tricky balance to pull off.  This is one of the things we'll be looking at very closely during the later stages of alpha and beta testing, since those will help give us the best idea of what we need to do for distribution, placement, yields, and so on.

• 1327 posts
    April 7, 2021 10:39 AM PDT

Have you considered the idea of active resource locating rather than just passive node spotting?

Rather than everything being an open world spawn on triggers or timers that everyone can see split harvesting into to main tasks, locating and collecting.

The locating skill can be similar to SWG survey skill where you used a tool to help you find concentrations of resources you wanted.  Once you are in an area deemed to have adequate concentrations one uses another ability to force a spawn of a node to gather from.  What spawns can be driven by your locating skills and knowledge as well as environmental modifiers. 

Once spawned a player can spend the time required to fully harvest said node or decide to leave it behind if they did not find the material they wanted and did not want to spend the time or inventory slots on what was found.

All the skills could/should have a reuse timer to limit the amount of resources entering the game world per hour.  All of the work done to make node spawning logical can still be used as the basis for finding high enough concentrations.  There can still be some world spawn nodes if only as a way for the game world to let players know that a concentration has shown up for a certain period of time.

Active hunting will remove the nastier bits of player contention over rare spawn materials, as rare spawns can also be found through active skills.  Active hunting will make raw material supply rates a per active player rate function rather than a per zone rate function, a harvester will be just as productive during peak times as off hours.  Active resource locating is much harder to automate, doubly so if the resource concentrations maps are more like topography maps than a linear scale and said maps change periodically.  When to harvest rather than continuing to look for a higher concentration becomes a tactical decision if the spawning action takes a significant amount of time that then also has a significant cooldown.

A lot of problems are solved by moving 90% of harvests from open world spawn nodes to active locating of personal nodes and the remaining 10% still leaves a significant immersion factor.

• 1828 posts
    April 7, 2021 11:30 AM PDT

Trasak said:

Have you considered the idea of active resource locating rather than just passive node spotting?

For now, this isn't a direction that we want to go for Pantheon.  There are pros and cons to every potential system and this would be no different - too many for me to go into in detail right now.  Suffice to say that implementing this in a way that is fun, engaging, and accessible for players with limited time to spend would introduce a lot of additional complexity into the game and the economy, and we don't feel like that's the right choice for Pantheon currently.  It's possible we may look at something like this in the future, but if we do it will be for something more specific than the entirety of gathering.

• 131 posts
    April 8, 2021 8:55 PM PDT

Ok, Neph. I've been thinking lately about one question I would want to ask you and I think I narrowed it down.  So, here goes:

In the "current" iteration of crafting, what is the maximum number of items I could use to make just one dagger, including raw resources and their products if they are to make sub-items such as blades and hilts and so on?

• 1828 posts
    April 10, 2021 10:41 AM PDT

Benonai said:

Ok, Neph. I've been thinking lately about one question I would want to ask you and I think I narrowed it down.  So, here goes:

In the "current" iteration of crafting, what is the maximum number of items I could use to make just one dagger, including raw resources and their products if they are to make sub-items such as blades and hilts and so on?

Hmm.  So for purposes of this question let's assume a "normal" dagger made using only gathered resources - ie, no special NPC component drops.

All told, you'd be looking at probably around 5-6 raw resources maximum if you make the hilt yourself.  however, those 5-6 resources would probably only take up 3 or so slots in your inventory (due to stacking).  To be clear, that's making the blade, and the hilt, and then combining them potentially with an optional ingredient.

If you were to acquire a fancier hilt made by another player (for example a jewelcrafter) then you'd not need resources for that, but the other player would.

• 1857 posts
    April 10, 2021 12:02 PM PDT

Thanks for keeping up on this Neph and being so open to answering questions.  Much appreciated.