Forums » Crafting

Unofficial Ask Neph anything thread

• 13 posts
    April 7, 2022 4:57 PM PDT

From a metallurgical standpoint, while there was such a thing as open ore nodes for a lot of human history, the ones in the more accessible areas have all been depleted.  To me, it would make sense to confine a lot of the lower level nodes to 'mine' areas, while more wild/high level areas would have them distributed in a more traditional manner.  It doesn't make sense for there to be copper nodes close to the city gates - the expansion of the city would have necessitated removing and using those. (Of course, I'm not a huge fan of 'copper' being the first tier of metal worked with, either.  It makes sense in Civ, but less sense in an RPG)

You could even incorporate this into a crafting faction system, too - access to the mines are granted to players who have earned enough Journeymen faction, for example.  Or, players who haven't gotten that faction could brave an abandoned mine, taken over by bandits or giant spiders, for instance.  The tradeoff would be facing danger while mining, in comparison to the relatively cushy use of the miner's guild property. 

That being said, I have a few questions:  Are crafting materials intended to be just raw upgrades to each other, as in, starting with Bronze, moving to Iron, then Steel, or are a lot of materials going to be sidegrades?  For instance, Steel might be your standard crafting material that just produces an all around balanced item, but Iron might be more effective against Fey creatures, with Mythril being lighter/faster attack.  I'm happy to see alloys in the game! Will players need to get access to other crafting stations, for instance, like a cementation furnace to produce blister steel?  Perhaps that could be locked behind some sort of guild faction standing, too.  Also, are any crafting processes going to take a measure of time?  Farming comes to mind, of course, but things along the lines of, say, refining your iron in a bloomery could take time before you have a usable product, too.  Finally, what about crafting in the field?  I imagine a lot of cooking will involve producing field food and rations to take with you, but will players be able to, say, have a campfire and some degree of limited crafting there?  Maybe the ability to make a shared meal while sitting around the fire, with different stat bonuses than your homemade rations, or, perhaps, the ability to (with a nice animation) sharpen your weapons to maintain some of their durability.  Anything to break up the monotony of waiting for mobs to spawn if you're camping a particular area.

This post was edited by Lunacea at April 7, 2022 5:01 PM PDT
    • 812 posts
    April 9, 2022 5:03 PM PDT

Lunacea said:

That being said, I have a few questions:  Are crafting materials intended to be just raw upgrades to each other, as in, starting with Bronze, moving to Iron, then Steel, or are a lot of materials going to be sidegrades?  For instance, Steel might be your standard crafting material that just produces an all around balanced item, but Iron might be more effective against Fey creatures, with Mythril being lighter/faster attack.  I'm happy to see alloys in the game!

Obviously Nephele can give a much more accurate answer, but from what I can remember of what he has said in the past it will be a little of both.

The crafting system works by letting you choose a Schematic (ie Mold or Pattern) and then you choose which Materials to use for that Schematic. Which Materials you use will change the stats that are found on that item once it's finished.

The types of Metals could expand or limit what type of stats or what your total stat cap is for specific types. So just spitballing some ideas:

Harder Metals may allow for higher AC on armors but will be Heavier.
    Harder Metals may allow for higher Str, Dex, Agi to be applied and yet be limited on how much Int, Wis, Cha that can be added.
    Softer Metals may allow for higher Int, Wis, Cha to be applied and yet be limited on how much Str, Dex, Agi that can be added.
    Some Metals may allow you to add more Magical Gems but be limited to smaller Gem types.
    Other Metals may allow for Larger Magical Gems but can't hold very many total Gems.
    Heavy Metals may allow for higher Damage on weapons but will be slower.
    Light metals may allow for Higher attack speeds but will not hit for as much Damage.

You may also be able to combine various Metal types for your final product. For example a Sword may have a Steel Blade but with a Silver Edge. Or perhaps you want a Silver Blade with an Electrum Tip.

Each part of the Sword also can have various combinations. The Hilt could have an Iron Core, but an Oak Wood grip. Or perhaps it has a Bronze Core with a Leather Grip with Gold Studs.

This means that even at low level you can choose from a variety of different Metals within the low level Metals Tier, each with their own pro's and cons.

As you advance, more superiour Metal types might become available to you. These higher Tier Metals may have increased stat caps, or perhaps allow for alternative stats to be added, such as Haste or Regen.

This doesn't automatically mean you stop using the older Metals but instead may just open up other Combinations. Now you might be able to make a Steel Blade with a Titanium Edge with Platinum Hooks, and Gold Plated Glyphs. Each of these Metals add their own statistics. This is all using the same Sword Schematic you were using before.

*** Edit: Just thought I would add this video link for you in case you havn't had a chance to watch it: Crafting & Gathering Introduction

This post was edited by GoofyWarriorGuy at April 9, 2022 5:15 PM PDT
    • 1864 posts
    April 11, 2022 9:32 AM PDT

Thanks Goofy!  It won't be quite as complex as what you outlined but your example is spot on in terms of the intent of the system :)

• 13 posts
    April 11, 2022 4:45 PM PDT

Thanks for explaining that part of my question :)

• 1 posts
    April 28, 2022 7:03 AM PDT

Thanks for the post, Goofy.  Very informative.