Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Level indicator in NPC nameplates

• 3852 posts
    September 18, 2020 7:25 AM PDT

((Now we have Pantheon adding Dispositions on top of mob abilities. Level ought to be even less relevant in Pantheon than in games like WoW, GW2, ESO, or FFXIV, that so many here are afraid of.))

I think of Dispositions as more relevant to what a creature will do under varying circumstances more than how effective it will be at doing it. An aggressive disposition may cause it to attack whereas a cowardly one will cause it to flee even if it is the same species in the same position doing the same thing at the time it is encountered. Thus an aggressive level 5 may attack me even though I am level 10 but a cowardly level 5 may flee eben though I am level 1. But the creature will be level 5 either way and its disposition will not affect how powerful it is compared to myself.

• 273 posts
    September 18, 2020 7:41 AM PDT

dorotea said:

I think of Dispositions as more relevant to what a creature will do under varying circumstances more than how effective it will be at doing it. An aggressive disposition may cause it to attack whereas a cowardly one will cause it to flee even if it is the same species in the same position doing the same thing at the time it is encountered. Thus an aggressive level 5 may attack me even though I am level 10 but a cowardly level 5 may flee eben though I am level 1. But the creature will be level 5 either way and its disposition will not affect how powerful it is compared to myself.

Every race also has passives that grant players bonuses against certain Dispositions, so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that there will be certain Dispositions that also grant mobs bonuses against certain player races and classes.

• 793 posts
    September 18, 2020 9:22 AM PDT

Will they include level indicators in PvP as well?

• 3852 posts
    September 18, 2020 10:21 AM PDT

((Every race also has passives that grant players bonuses against certain Dispositions, so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that there will be certain Dispositions that also grant mobs bonuses against certain player races and classes.))

Quite possible, yes.

• 70 posts
    September 23, 2020 3:50 AM PDT

There is no need for a colour or number indicator. It only makes the game ugly.

Either I/the group can beat it up, or it beats me/us up. That is only indicator needed.

Just think about it. When something is very dangerous, especially if you are in a group, you still make an attempt to kill it.

• 947 posts
    September 23, 2020 8:26 AM PDT

I'd like to see enemy info display as a skill to increase.  Maybe even multiple skills depending on the category of enemy you are fighting... leveled the same way as faction.

i.e. Orc fighting proficiency - Unleveled you can only use the /con system, and as your skill at fighting orcs increases you can see the level number > disposition type > numeric HP value > and finally a class icon.  There could be a category for every monster type so that it would benefit you to recruit a particular "expert" on say "Giants" if you are adventuring into giant territory - or try to become an "expert" yourself to promulgate your services.

• 560 posts
    September 23, 2020 10:36 AM PDT

@Qulash If Pantheon was a better game then most if not all MMOs and never made me fight a rat I might agree with you. I would love a MMO that never made me fight something I normally would never consider a threat. How am I expected to know that turtle over there is not only able to kill me and my group but we will not even have a chance to hit the dang thing. I want something to give me a hint of the threat a creature poses to me. I feel color, rank, etc. is the only option because I have no faith the monsters will make any sense in this regard. But if they did that might be better then a color system.

I think it is unfair to have both death matter and make people jump off cliffs blindfolded to find out if water is below.

@Darch I love the idea of a skill or skills that when improved change what you can discern from the entity you are inspecting. I see no reason to stop at a monster though. It should work on all creatures, monsters, NPC’s, Players.

This post was edited by Susurrus at September 23, 2020 10:36 AM PDT
    • 422 posts
    September 23, 2020 2:52 PM PDT

Just assumed it was one of the several WoWification "Quality of Life" features that this game will end up full of.

• 184 posts
    September 23, 2020 9:53 PM PDT

No numbers or other tell tale information about a mobs level other than /con or the color once you click on it (Similar to EQ).  However, there better be under-cons in Pantheon, as it really added to EQ when you would take on an under-con thinking it was a easy target only for it to wipe your whole group... Anyone remember the zone Unrest with Garanel Rucksif? Talk about an under-con....

This post was edited by Rint at April 8, 2021 1:58 PM PDT
    • 1247 posts
    September 24, 2020 8:33 AM PDT

kellindil said:

Just assumed it was one of the several WoWification "Quality of Life" features that this game will end up full of.

Yep. I've really begun to notice it this year. 

This post was edited by Syrif at September 24, 2020 8:33 AM PDT