Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Rate of Experience

• 612 posts
    September 14, 2020 5:02 AM PDT

Disposalist said: "I'm pretty sure he meant time played, not chronological time, and that he clarified that at some point."

Well if this is the case, let's do some math.

50 Levels in 18 weeks = 3024 hours = 1 Level every ~60h 29m of /played time.
    50 Levels in 16 weeks = 2688 hours = 1 Level every ~53h 46m of /played time.
    50 Levels in 10 weeks = 1680 hours = 1 Level every ~33h 36m of /played time.

Using State of Online gaming 2020: Average play time of 6h 20m per week.

18 weeks of /played time = 3024 hours.
    16 weeks of /played time = 2688 hours.
    10 weeks of /played time = 1680 hours.
    Average players playing 6h 20m a week would reach 3024 hours /played in ~478 weeks which is 9.19 years.
    Average players playing 6h 20m a week would reach 2688 hours /played in ~425 weeks which is 8.17 years.
    Average players playing 6h 20m a week would reach 1680 hours /played in ~265 weeks which is 5.1 years.

Using The Daedalus Project: Average play time of 21 hours per week.

Average players playing 21h per week would reach 3024  hours played in ~144 weeks which is 2.7 years.
    Average players playing 21h per week would reach 2688 hours played in ~112 weeks which is 2.15 years.
    Average players playing 21h per week would reach 1680 hours /played in ~80 weeks which is 1.5 years.

Let's calculate how many hours you would need to play to get to these /played time in just 1 year.
    18 weeks of /played time means playing a minimum of ~8h 18m / day (58h 06m / week) for the full year.
    16 weeks of /played time means playing a minimum of ~7h 24m / day (51h 48m / week) for the full year.
    10 weeks of /played time means playing a minimum of ~4h 36m / day (32h 12m / week) for the full year.

As you can see... these are at least 5 - 9 times higher than the State of Online Gaming 2020 Average play time, and 1.5 - 2.7 times higher than the Daedalus Project Average play time.

So, assuming Disposalist is correct... are you ok with these numbers?

• 1247 posts
    September 14, 2020 6:30 AM PDT

Appealing numbers. Like others I would like to play casually for years, not months, so the longer the better and we'll have to see what it is. Honestly, if there is a RP server (there should be) where you are allowed 1-3 chars max, then I would be on that server in a heartbeat. I may be casual, but I definitely like RP, realism, and a world that's not designed to be rushed. Thx for info. 

This post was edited by Syrif at September 14, 2020 7:10 AM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    September 14, 2020 7:56 AM PDT

Why do so many who want to level slowly give a damn about how quickly or slowly anybody else levels?  If you want to level slowly, do it. There are dozens of things you can do to deliberaly reduce the speed at which you level.   Stop trying to force your idea(s) of slow leveling onto others.

• 888 posts
    September 14, 2020 8:51 AM PDT
    @Vandraad,
    The reasons have already been listed by most or all of the people arguing for it. They can be found on the previous 5 pages.
    • 274 posts
    September 14, 2020 9:01 AM PDT

Counterfleche said: @Vandraad, The reasons have already been listed by most or all of the people arguing for it. They can be found on the previous 5 pages.

"Because YouTubers will complain," is not a reasonable argument.

• 2419 posts
    September 14, 2020 9:06 AM PDT

People need to spend less time trying to force their playstyle and desired speed of leveling onto other and focus on their own slow ass leveling.

• 2752 posts
    September 14, 2020 10:29 AM PDT

"I want to spend years leveling one character" Great, then do that. Go slow and take your time. But it is insane to me to want it to take anywhere near a year+ when putting in 3+ hours a day, just so some people can hypothetically spend more time with the game.

If you only like to play one character and you burn out entirely from a game when you reach max level, that is on you. This game has 9 races, 12(14) classes, and 4 distinct group roles. Perhaps learn to embrace some different ways to play the game instead of insisting the game be everything forever for one single character and screw the rest. 

• 1247 posts
    September 14, 2020 10:34 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Why do so many who want to level slowly give a damn about how quickly or slowly anybody else levels?  If you want to level slowly, do it. There are dozens of things you can do to deliberaly reduce the speed at which you level.   Stop trying to force your idea(s) of slow leveling onto others.

Vandraad said:

People need to spend less time trying to force their playstyle and desired speed of leveling onto other and focus on their own slow ass leveling.

Iksar said:

"I want to spend years leveling one character" Great, then do that. Go slow and take your time.

I think the question is more along the lines of do you think the average leveling pace should be rapid like in WoW/mainstream or at a slower pace closer to Original mmorpg's like Classic EQ and DAOC? Obviously, I'm in the latter. Anyway, I think that's the question ppl care about. 

This post was edited by Syrif at September 14, 2020 12:13 PM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    September 14, 2020 11:25 AM PDT
    There's no leveling pace number you can pick that won't be punitive to one group and/or trivial to the other.
    • 1247 posts
    September 14, 2020 11:39 AM PDT

@Vjek That's exactly why I just posted this question. And that's exactly why there needs to be mmorpg's that are vastly different experiences from each other. 

Syrif said:

I think the question is more along the lines of do you think the average leveling pace should be rapid like in WoW/mainstream or at a slower pace closer to Original mmorpg's like Classic EQ and DAOC? Obviously, I'm in the latter. Anyway, I think that's the question ppl care about. 

This post was edited by Syrif at September 14, 2020 11:41 AM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    September 14, 2020 11:41 AM PDT
    So, mathematically guaranteeing the mechanic won't be effective?

That would be the point you should probably reconsider if it's worth doing at all.
    • VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    September 14, 2020 12:31 PM PDT

Syrif said:

It’s so you don’t ruin the game. You really don’t get it do you. Why not make it so that everything’s the same like World of Warcraft. Yay, congratulations. 

That's what I predict happening tho, given the crazy things joppa has been saying recently. The direction was better with Brad imho.  

I'm not sure how you could count my comments on estimated time to max level on a Fires of Heaven AMA back in 2018 as "of late".

To the point though, a quick search reveals what I said then:

https://www.firesofheaven.org/threads/pantheon-ama-responses.10091/

And in case it still needs clarifying: yes, I am referring to time /played. And that estimate is to numerical max level only, and does not include the time necessary to reach max Mastery (both ability and character mastery), reaching full end-game gear/acclimation/artifacts, etc.

Anyhow, I'll be getting back to work now.

This post was edited by Joppa at September 14, 2020 12:33 PM PDT
    • 1247 posts
    September 14, 2020 12:48 PM PDT

This definitely makes me feel better on topic. The longer it takes the better. And glad to see FoH is still somewhat active, wow! I will read through; thank you. 

This post was edited by Syrif at September 14, 2020 1:22 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    September 14, 2020 12:56 PM PDT

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

Disposalist said: "I'm pretty sure he meant time played, not chronological time, and that he clarified that at some point."

Well if this is the case, let's do some math.

50 Levels in 18 weeks = 3024 hours = 1 Level every ~60h 29m of /played time.
    50 Levels in 16 weeks = 2688 hours = 1 Level every ~53h 46m of /played time.
    50 Levels in 10 weeks = 1680 hours = 1 Level every ~33h 36m of /played time.

Using State of Online gaming 2020: Average play time of 6h 20m per week.

Average players playing 6h 20m a week would reach 3024 hours /played in ~478 weeks which is 9.19 years.
    Average players playing 6h 20m a week would reach 2688 hours /played in ~425 weeks which is 8.17 years.
    Average players playing 6h 20m a week would reach 1680 hours /played in ~265 weeks which is 5.1 years.

Average players playing 21h per week would reach 3024  hours played in ~144 weeks which is 2.7 years.
    Average players playing 21h per week would reach 2688 hours played in ~112 weeks which is 2.15 years.
    Average players playing 21h per week would reach 1680 hours /played in ~80 weeks which is 1.5 years.

Let's calculate how many hours you would need to play to get to these /played time in just 1 year.
    18 weeks of /played time means playing a minimum of ~8h 18m / day (58h 06m / week) for the full year.
    16 weeks of /played time means playing a minimum of ~7h 24m / day (51h 48m / week) for the full year.
    10 weeks of /played time means playing a minimum of ~4h 36m / day (32h 12m / week) for the full year.

As you can see... these are at least 5 - 9 times higher than the State of Online Gaming 2020 Average play time, and 1.5 - 2.7 times higher than the Daedalus Project Average play time.

So, assuming Disposalist is correct... are you ok with these numbers?

This is really cool, Goofy,

The 6H 20m a week is probably where I fit in, maybe a tad more on weekends. I'm not retired yet, lol and even if I was I think I would have stuff/exercise to do. But there would be some days where I would be eager to get up early and devote a day to just tooling around in Pantheon I am sure.

10 years to level 50 would certainly be a testament to time invested and this worries me because of the word that naturally comes to mind- "invested" Its too tempting to have a secondary black market for that. 

3 years to top level 50, thats digestible I think and in line sort of with the sarcastic comments people used to say about the EQ "career".

But I would like to see it a tad longer maybe 5 years? but then I dont know if such a thing could be planned. Time sinks were an attempt and I am not bothered by time sinks provided they are not obvious time sinks because, lets face it, all games are time sinks generally speaking, just a more enjoyable way to spend that time. Heck you could say sex is a time sink if you really wanted to split hairs. The difference being the ease of engagement. In an MMO you just need to push a switch and log on- i'll leave the puns for others regarding the comparrison to sex (log, switch, button har har).

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    September 14, 2020 1:23 PM PDT

Syrif said:

This definitely makes me feel better on topic. The longer it takes the better. And glad to see FoH is still somewhat active, wow! I will read through; thank you. 

You bet!

• 560 posts
    September 14, 2020 4:04 PM PDT

First thank you Joppa and GoofyWarriorGuy for brining much needed clarity to the conversation. Based on this information I no longer have fears that leveling will be too quick.

Looking over GoogyWarroirGuy’s calculations I think I will likely fall in around 21 hours per week which would mean it would take me around 1.5 to 2.7 years to get to max level. I am sure I will have some weeks with far more hours and others with less but avg out around there. To be honest that is longer than I would like and that is not even taking in to account progeny or as Joppa pointed out all the other forms of progression.

Based on all this I would like it to take around 1,000 hours to get max level. This would be close to one year of playing at 21 hours a week. I will still have alts and will not always be leveling the most efficient way so it will likely take me much longer then a year. But this is also assuming that Pantheon has lots of content to keep me busy for a year. I definitely do not want to farm the same content over and over for months on end to level to max. In another post I had suggested they needed a way to turn off experience gain. If it truly will take this long to level, I am not sure I will ever use that ability.

Some times I wonder though if I get what I am asking for if I would like it. With that in mind I upgraded to alpha so that I might get a better idea.

This post was edited by Susurrus at September 14, 2020 4:05 PM PDT
    • 1247 posts
    September 14, 2020 7:37 PM PDT

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

Thanks again. I'm glad to understand it better now. I really love how you put this together and that looks great to me!

• 84 posts
    September 15, 2020 5:39 PM PDT

I would love for Pantheon to become a hobby and something that can be enjoyed for years to come.  So my vote is for a very slow rate of experience.

• 438 posts
    September 15, 2020 6:06 PM PDT
    For sure Goofy, great job! And yea Trustar, I’m right there with ya buddy
    • 5 posts
    September 25, 2020 7:54 AM PDT

They also have the Progeny System, I don't think it has been fully fleshed out yet (may not be 100% at release). They haven't really talked about it in detail, but this could be powerful tool to keep players very engaged to get to max level many times, assuming they don't put a cap on it.

• 136 posts
    September 27, 2020 7:05 PM PDT

I personally don't mind a slower grind to max level as long as their is stuff you can do along the way. When I played Lineage2 I never even got that close to max level. I think I was 62, max level was 75. But I could still participate in all the highest level dungeons and end game raid bosses effectively. Starting probably around level 25 you would see raid bosses out in the open world as well. This way you don't have to rush to max level to be able to get that feeling of being rewarded.

I personally don't want to be able to reach max level in a couple of weeks. I want it to take the hardcore players (which is not me) 2 months to get to max level.

• 690 posts
    September 30, 2020 2:12 PM PDT

I wouldn't mind the pace to be EQ slow myself, completionists should stick around longer if nothing else, and it really does make me feel accomplished.  I'd like to see hell levels purposefully placed where you have extra content to explore, like the low level raids VR is considering.

That being said, I fully support very enhanced leveling speed at very low levels.