Forums » Pantheon Classes

What draws you to your class?

• 57 posts
    June 9, 2020 12:25 AM PDT

The recent streams have NPCs calling you "Pantheonian" and I frown a little. Between that and the game's title I'm getting the sense of PCs being these reincarnated higher power chosen ones, and I just kinda hoped that sort of thing wouldn't be the case.

• 346 posts
    June 9, 2020 7:25 AM PDT

KCRiley said:The recent streams have NPCs calling you "Pantheonian" and I frown a little. Between that and the game's title I'm getting the sense of PCs being these reincarnated higher power chosen ones, and I just kinda hoped that sort of thing wouldn't be the case.

I could see that if they said something like 'Chosen One'. Pantheonian feels too much like Centurian to me. One of many in league for a greater mission.

• 2752 posts
    June 9, 2020 11:00 AM PDT

I imagine it is only a placeholder term. Pantheonian wouldn't make any sense in the context of the game world. 

• 945 posts
    June 9, 2020 3:27 PM PDT

Iksar said:

I imagine it is only a placeholder term. Pantheonian wouldn't make any sense in the context of the game world. 

I agree that Panthonian wouldn't make sense... but then again, it could.  If the devs want to call the characters Terminators because they came to Terminus it wouldn't make sense either... but its just a name.

We are focusing on the wrong things if we are concerned with how an NPC (kinda racist NPC) regards our characters.  Panthonian could be a derogatory term and the NPCs are just patronizing us for all we know. 

This thread is about why you want to play the classes that you choose in an MMO.

I've stated earlier that I have to be a desired class and simultaneously feel like a tough SOB, so typically pet classes and the typical healers are not in my "main character" wheel-house.  Tanks "typically" fit that bill for me.  And the caviat to that is, if there are multiple that I'm drawn to, I pick the one that looks the best.

• 346 posts
    June 9, 2020 9:20 PM PDT

Darch said:Panthonian could be a derogatory term and the NPCs are just patronizing us for all we know.

They can say it because they are one too. They get a free pass. That's apparently how it works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 34 posts
    June 11, 2020 8:23 AM PDT

In the original stream, Ben's character's name was actually 'Pantheonian' - hence the NPC's calling him that.

• 1479 posts
    June 11, 2020 3:20 PM PDT

flea said:

In the original stream, Ben's character's name was actually 'Pantheonian' - hence the NPC's calling him that.

That's actually very funny. Because it started a lil' bit of fear even in myself out of a not so well chosen name and some over interpretation.

• 888 posts
    June 12, 2020 10:28 AM PDT
    It's a good thing he didn't name his character "VIP Member", or that would have caused some real anger.
    • 122 posts
    June 23, 2020 4:48 PM PDT

I tend to go for classes more primal in nature.  In eq1 I originally had a warrior that I got up into the 50's but as soon as Luclin came out I started a beastlord and loved it.  I liked the combo of monk and shaman with a pet companion.  Later when I went to eq2 they didn't have beastlord available yet so I went with shaman and enjoyed that class too, the only downside being that the pet wasn't that strong.  Mainly I like hand to hand, debuffing, and pets lol.  That's why I think I'll either go with shaman or monk when I play Pantheon.

• 5 posts
    September 12, 2020 8:46 PM PDT

Rogue. If Pantheon rogues will be anything like Everquest rogues it'll be exciting seeing those high backstab crits, fun to collect those illusion masks and change my appearance once in awhile, and useful to a group for corpse gathering and scouting / pulling.

• 23 posts
    September 14, 2020 5:03 AM PDT

I'm looking forward to the Enchanter Class.

My MMO experience has been characterised by the holy trinity of DPS/TANK/HEALER, meaning that my experience in the area of support has been limited to where the DPS role would occasionally throw out a buff or two.

I'd like to take the steps into a class/area where it is focused on buffing/debuffing/CC as their means of supporting their party, to ensure that the others are able to not worry about additional ads, ensure the healers aren't strained by debuffing enemies etc. With this in mind, this is what drew me to the Enchanter.

This post was edited by RiskIBiski at September 14, 2020 5:03 AM PDT
    • 9 posts
    February 23, 2021 4:11 AM PST
    A few key abilities, which are dependent on skill/timing, can really make a class for me. One of the reasons my main will probably be a druid is the verdanfire seed ability. When timed correctly it can potentialen function as a mana battery/very effecient healing, when timed poorly it’s just an absorb shield.

Cleric’s signet of unity can also potentially be a class defining ability. When mastering the timing it can really make dps classes a lot more effective.
    • 9 posts
    February 23, 2021 4:11 AM PST
    A few key abilities, which are dependent on skill/timing, can really make a class for me. One of the reasons my main will probably be a druid is the verdanfire seed ability. When timed correctly it can potentialen function as a mana battery/very effecient healing, when timed poorly it’s just an absorb shield.

Cleric’s signet of unity can also potentially be a class defining ability. When mastering the timing it can really make dps classes a lot more effective.
    • 83 posts
    February 27, 2021 1:19 AM PST

Hello there, defintely Summoner for me. I have been playing a mage in EQ for 20 years from 2000 to 2020, which explains my choice, I guess I don't need to further explain :-)

• 128 posts
    February 27, 2021 5:30 AM PST

I'm going to play a Monk main, but I'm seriously thinking of an Enchanter and a Summoner alt pair.   I think the Summoner could be the very last class we get to play-test because it seems like the most complex, so maybe it will be the icing on the cake.

Like a couple of you in this thread, I don't want a back story where each of us is the 'savior of the world', the long lost King etc etc.  I want to be a poor monk struggling to make his way in the world, where death is around nearly every corner, learning my craft and developing into a true martial artist.

editted for typos

This post was edited by Nagasakee at February 27, 2021 5:31 AM PST
    • 1992 posts
    February 27, 2021 10:06 AM PST

While I expect to play as many classes as there are char slots available, I'm most attracted to being responsible for the rest of my group. So a Tank, a Healer and a CC are likely to be the 3 classes I play the most. Tank is usually my default 'main'.

I chose Dire Lord mostly because of how much I enjoyed my Dread Knight in Vanguard. While I most like the flavor of a Shaman for healer, the portals make Druid my choice in Pantheon. I don't particularly like pet classes and I really enjoyed my Bard in Vanguard so Bard is the clear choice for my CC.

• 100 posts
    March 15, 2021 12:41 AM PDT

I originally wanted to play a melee DPS but I don't like rogues, rangers and I abhor Monks (Never understood why fantasy game inspired by western culture keep bringing that one class from Eastern culture and nothing else, if you want to add variety, change it up! get the ninja, samurai or shugenja for once. it feels so disjointed to me) so, ... Maybe Dire Lord, but they are tanks, we'll have to see if you can be DPS but that is not certain.

If there was a class I'd like to play it would be Berserker, or I liked Shadow Knight in EQ2 or necromancer to damage with dots but they were referenced as support in this game.
    Honestly I'd love a ShadowKnight type character as DPS, having a mix of melee skills and evil magic to deal damage in Pantheon.
    I don't get why in EQ1, EQ2 and Vanguard, the embodiement of evil, cruelty, in the ShadowKnight has the primary role of taking the slaps for his friends while he entrust them to heal him and kill the enemy, ... Giving the selfish dude a selfless role, ...

So in the current state of the announced classes I am not interested in any of them but Dire Lord or Necro would be the closest, maybe shaman for the DoTs.

This post was edited by Khraag at March 15, 2021 1:00 AM PDT
    • 100 posts
    March 15, 2021 12:58 AM PDT

*Please delete*

This post was edited by Khraag at March 15, 2021 12:59 AM PDT
    • 945 posts
    March 15, 2021 2:29 PM PDT

Khraag said:

I originally wanted to play a melee DPS but I don't like rogues, rangers and I abhor Monks (Never understood why fantasy game inspired by western culture keep bringing that one class from Eastern culture and nothing else, if you want to add variety, change it up! get the ninja, samurai or shugenja for once. it feels so disjointed to me) so, ... Maybe Dire Lord, but they are tanks, we'll have to see if you can be DPS but that is not certain.

If there was a class I'd like to play it would be Berserker, or I liked Shadow Knight in EQ2 or necromancer to damage with dots but they were referenced as support in this game.
    Honestly I'd love a ShadowKnight type character as DPS, having a mix of melee skills and evil magic to deal damage in Pantheon.
    I don't get why in EQ1, EQ2 and Vanguard, the embodiement of evil, cruelty, in the ShadowKnight has the primary role of taking the slaps for his friends while he entrust them to heal him and kill the enemy, ... Giving the selfish dude a selfless role, ...

So in the current state of the announced classes I am not interested in any of them but Dire Lord or Necro would be the closest, maybe shaman for the DoTs.

I feel the same as you in regard to the monk in mideval-type MMOs, but had they called them something else like "brawler" (as EQ2 did) but allowed the use of certain weapons, I think it would be more fitting.  The necro is slated to be "support" but I'd wager that they will be able to deal decent damage too.  You may lalso consider looking into the evil Bard if you are into cool looking melee with DoT.  They are also slated for support but, like the other support roles, will likely have more DPS than the Dire Lord.  

• 100 posts
    March 15, 2021 3:32 PM PDT

Darch said:

I feel the same as you in regard to the monk in mideval-type MMOs, but had they called them something else like "brawler" (as EQ2 did) but allowed the use of certain weapons, I think it would be more fitting.  The necro is slated to be "support" but I'd wager that they will be able to deal decent damage too.  You may lalso consider looking into the evil Bard if you are into cool looking melee with DoT.  They are also slated for support but, like the other support roles, will likely have more DPS than the Dire Lord.  

Evil Bard? In EQ2 the Dirge was cool but in Pantheon? I think there is only the classic bard right? Yeah I think Necro, but might not be an option at release.
    I really dislike the approach to have fighter classes only acting as meat shield. So I'm a pretty sad panda in terms of classes in Pantheon.

This post was edited by Khraag at March 15, 2021 3:38 PM PDT
    • 30 posts
    April 9, 2021 1:26 PM PDT

I like jack-of-all trades Clerics, sadly my race is not allowed to play cleric here.
    Mostly played Tanks and healers as group mains and healers scout/bard for raids.
    Being an altoholic I tend to have all classes, my race are hardly alowed any classes here though :(

• 392 posts
    April 9, 2021 3:11 PM PDT

The Dire Lord kinda has a samurai vibe going for that I like.

Lighter armor then other tanks and no shields with a focus on fear and intimidation.

I could always go full weeb though and just play a Monk too.

• 6 posts
    April 12, 2021 10:26 PM PDT

I really wish Pantheon had a beastlord-like class. But since it doesn't, and group content is specifically being designed to need CC and there's only 1 primary CC class and they are already talking about nerfing secondary CC classes, I'll probably be forced into Enchanter just so I can find groups, instead of playing the class I actually want to play because I don't want to sit on /lfg for hours at a time because there aren't enough Enchanters to fill groups :/

This post was edited by hombom at April 12, 2021 11:04 PM PDT
    • 41 posts
    August 25, 2021 12:07 PM PDT

I like pet classes that you can actively issue orders to.  Ranged physical damage.  Being able to kite (and hopefully kill) mobs that other classes might not be able to solo.  Laying traps.  Oh Pantheon, when will you give me my beloved Hunter from vanilla WoW?

Of course, speaking as an alt-oholic, my anwer to the question "what draws you to your class?" is very simple:  it exists.

• 5 posts
    August 29, 2021 3:44 AM PDT

I'm often drawn to the arcane persuasion and the mind mage type has always been something that is cool to me. For those reasons I'm going to be going with Enchanter. It's got the double whammy of looking awesome as well as being a return to CC as it's own unique party role.

That being said, there is something satisfying about strapping on some armor and hitting things with cold steel so I'm sure I'll have a melee fighter of some sort as my first alt.