Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Game UI....

• 2130 posts
    December 14, 2016 8:10 AM PST

Feyshtey said:

VR has stated quite plainly that they will not even attempt to police the parsing of logfiles with the stance that they have the ability to manage what goes into those logs. If, however, you build an app that circumvents the measures meant to limit which data is collected (and then correlated/displayed), that's a different story entirely. If you want to create a DPS app that runs off of logs generated by the game engine, then have at it. Just don't try to hack the client so that the meter is displayed in-game.

That's an easily defensible line to draw. Any out-of-game ap can't display any information the devs don't want displayed without hacks to the client. By extension any add-on can't modify the in-game experience in any way that provides advantage to the player that impliments it. Not without the possible ramifications of account deactivation. By seperating what you do with provided data outside the game from data mined from the client there's a clear deliniation made for what is acceptable and what is not. No grey area is created with, "Yes, you can have an in-game dps meter add-on, but you can't have an in-game auto-mapping add-on.". 

I agree but just for the sake of convenience I like having it in-game as opposed to out of game. I know that it's likely an impossibility and we'll be stuck with using an overlay. Oh well.