Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What would you change?

• 80 posts
    November 14, 2016 5:27 PM PST

I like to be able to move thing around and make sure the important things are around the cneter of my screen. this is where it is easier for me to see things and where my eyes tend to go. I would hope all aspects of the UI are movable and I am able to change the size. If i want my hotkey buttons centered around the middel of my screen I shold be able to move them there.

• 27 posts
    November 14, 2016 5:48 PM PST

Currency.  I would find a way to make it so that currency either is untradeable, does not exist, or has such an insignificant purpose that it is not neccessary to trade.  Also, please understand that currency does not neccessarily have to be what we traditionally think of as money.  It could also be an item that the community deems as the 'standard' (example would be SoJ's in Diablo 2).

Why?  Because any game where farming currency is a neccessary goal for players whether it is because that is how the market operates (example: buying items from players for platinum) or because character upkeep is expensive (examples: buying spells, repairing equipment, food/water/utility items from vendors, etc.) will inevitably be destroyed by bots.

I do not have a completely fleshed out solution to this problem but with a few brainstorming sessions and some good minds I'm sure there is a solution that will deter the use of bots.  We've seen from history that trying to stay one step ahead of hackers and botters is a losing strategy 10 times out of 10.

I think a good starting point is to determine how to make the economy resource based and not currency based.  Encourage trading as opposed to selling.  Incentivize farming for the items you want as opposed to finding the best way to make cash and buying said items.  Should no-drop be more common?

If anyone wants to share their thoughts on this matter I encourage you to address the fundamental idea of making the game unreliant on currency, not whether my off-the-cuff ideas mentioned above are realistic.  There is a solution out there that can be found if we agree that the fundamental principle is a sound one and worth pursuing.

• 633 posts
    November 14, 2016 5:57 PM PST

Lucid said:

Currency.  I would find a way to make it so that currency either is untradeable, does not exist, or has such an insignificant purpose that it is not neccessary to trade.  Also, please understand that currency does not neccessarily have to be what we traditionally think of as money.  It could also be an item that the community deems as the 'standard' (example would be SoJ's in Diablo 2).

Why?  Because any game where farming currency is a neccessary goal for players whether it is because that is how the market operates (example: buying items from players for platinum) or because character upkeep is expensive (examples: buying spells, repairing equipment, food/water/utility items from vendors, etc.) will inevitably be destroyed by bots.

I do not have a completely fleshed out solution to this problem but with a few brainstorming sessions and some good minds I'm sure there is a solution that will deter the use of bots.  We've seen from history that trying to stay one step ahead of hackers and botters is a losing strategy 10 times out of 10.

I think a good starting point is to determine how to make the economy resource based and not currency based.  Encourage trading as opposed to selling.  Incentivize farming for the items you want as opposed to finding the best way to make cash and buying said items.  Should no-drop be more common?

If anyone wants to share their thoughts on this matter I encourage you to address the fundamental idea of making the game unreliant on currency, not whether my off-the-cuff ideas mentioned above are realistic.  There is a solution out there that can be found if we agree that the fundamental principle is a sound one and worth pursuing.

This is how EQ1 originally was.  There was gold/platinum/etc in the game, but once you got high level, nobody sold anything.  Everything was trade only.  Nobody wanted money because there wasn't anything to do with it.  It wasn't until the Plane of Sky came out that people actually started wanting money, because it had a gold-sink in it.

• 2419 posts
    November 14, 2016 6:43 PM PST

zaktaros said:

User interfaces tend to get cluttered after a while with multiple chat windows for guild, tells, zone, etc. It would be great if we could off-load those windows to extra screens like monitors or tablets. 

I have to agree with Zaktaros here.  I want full control of my UI.  Give me the ability to take any of the information you're sending to me and display it where and how I want.

EDIT:  Then I have to add to this non-global currencies where societal NPCs have their own coinage and with proper faction standings players can utilize NPC services (i.e. banks, merchants, etc).

This post was edited by Vandraad at November 14, 2016 6:48 PM PST
    • 1019 posts
    November 14, 2016 7:10 PM PST

^^ EQ2 did this extreamly well.

• 2886 posts
    November 15, 2016 12:49 PM PST

I'd say: make reaching max level more of an achievement. Of course part of me always wants to be at cap, but it's really not the same if it's not meaningful. There's no point if almost everyone is max level because it's so easy to get. I can't think of any game out there that just gives players some sort of a fast pass to max level.

Fortunately, it seems like VR already agrees with this :)

• 35 posts
    November 19, 2016 10:32 AM PST

I would like to see a reduction or removal of quest based leveling.  This technique tends to put players on a one way train track through the game and limits exploration and full utility of all game locations.

It also creates a rush to the end/max level and then only puts an emphasis on high end dungeons and raiding versus what the entire game has to offer.

Quests are essential to any game, but base them more off of lore, item rewards, story unlocks etc than as a method of leveling.

• 137 posts
    November 19, 2016 10:41 AM PST

Revjak said:

I would like to see a reduction or removal of quest based leveling.  This technique tends to put players on a one way train track through the game and limits exploration and full utility of all game locations.

It also creates a rush to the end/max level and then only puts an emphasis on high end dungeons and raiding versus what the entire game has to offer.

Quests are essential to any game, but base them more off of lore, item rewards, story unlocks etc than as a method of leveling.

Could not agree more, seriously despise the entire idea of repeated "Collect 20x of this, Kill x of that, Go speak to y" add nauseum leveling systems. I have always thought that quests should not be a means of leveling, but rather a system that is used sparingly so that they can be unique and meaningful.

• 690 posts
    November 29, 2016 11:39 PM PST

I like it when games have means I can use to make my character look physically awesome. In vanilla skyrim you could actually make a really mean looking and awesome orc, with a few mods and a few hours you could make one of the most beutiful people you have ever seen. You could even change their head size, height, etc. 

Most mmos have a few premade faces that you pick from that look alright. If they must be premade can't they at least be awesome? Get one of those skyrim mod kids in there to make some faces for you.

Or let us do it ourselves=p

• 29 posts
    November 30, 2016 4:57 AM PST

This isn't so much of a feature, but I have always been bothered by the way expansions are handled. Instead of bulking up a rich and immersive world that is already in place, developers tend to just make a new planet or continent. Why not throw in some lore about how an event has opened up a previously undiscovered dungeon in a zone that already exists? Even passages to a few new zones within the old world would be nice. Every single time it is new content that turns the old world in to a ghost town. EQ1 handled this well, of course. Velious content was level 30+ at least, so there was still a need to visit older content. The Warrens and Stonebrunt were tacked on to a weaker end of Norrath. Why not make what you have, more robust and rich?

• 81 posts
    November 30, 2016 12:40 PM PST

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but......

Pantheon seems to be aiming for a group based experience with character classes and roles.  My biggest problem with damn near every game that has been group based and class driven has been the cookie cutter classes.  By the time you play for awhile and are grouping for boss fights or raiding bosses,  you know every class in the game and you set up your groups accordingly.

If there are 5 tank classes usually one is the go to for main tanking, other 4 are not wanted or only accepted if you cant find the one you want.  Also every Paladin out there has the exact same spells, abilities, etc so you know what he is going to do even if you dont play one.

What I would want here is customizability through any number of designs,  be it skill trees, spell and ability research or questing, equipment choice, whatever.  I want to see more "Mitigation Tank LFG" rather than "Warrior LFG" and I want people to remember names rather than any warrior will do,  I want people to say,  Vlad is LFG, grab him quick,  that dude is awesome DPS,  we can build our group around him.

• 81 posts
    November 30, 2016 12:50 PM PST

Revjak said:

Ideally the game should have no levels at all,  and no areas of the game should be forgotten and only revisited when making an alt.  Why would a boar be deadly at level 1,  a fair fight at level 5, and ignorable at level 10 ?  Seems like a boar should be a boar.  The more skilled you are the easier it should be,  but mobs turning grey and ignored is just silly to me.  Completely skill based to me is ideal.

That boar should be a relatively easy fight if you are sword and shield fighting it when you have been using sword and shield alot but that same boar should be a tough fight for you if you are naked martial arts fighting it when that is a new combat style for you.

• 763 posts
    November 30, 2016 1:12 PM PST

@Revjak

Abslutely agree on REMOVAL of any 'Quest levelling'.

At most, Quests should offer you a smidge of XP, certainly nothing like as much as any other form of XP gaining mechanisms on offer! It is the one thing I hated most about WoW's lvelling model - there the quests gave 50x or even 100x the XP gain from any other available method! This absolutely led to a 'Theme Park' ride where the players would travel from 'Quest Hub' to 'Quest Hub' in order to get the rewards offered. Please return the concept of Quests to the early EQ1 days. They sometimes gave faction, the odd item or, on rare occassions, the odd helping of XP.

For myself:

Would like to see armour being 'Mitigation' and/or 'Avoidance'.

It would be nice to see both aspects put into action. Your 'Heavy Plate tank' would rely on 'mitigation'. He expects to get hit - but his armour reduces the brunt of the damage. On the other hand, your Monk would be 'avoidance' based tanking. His mode of combat is to avoid getting hit. But, if he does catch a hit, it really lands for buckets of damage! It is certanly harder to implement a well crafted combat system which includes both Mitigation and Avoidance models, but I do feel it would be really compelling!

• 363 posts
    November 30, 2016 2:14 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Warben said:

That camp that you killed the same "Rare" spawn for literally 85 spawn cycles and never got the drop you wanted.  Make an achievement or an option that after 50 or 100 kills you get to select a reward from any item in that NPC's loot table to put you out of your misery!!

Hahaha, no chance my friend, that is what makes the item so valuable and sort after, is its rarity, obviously we won't do this for the majority of drops but to have a few exclusive items that rare is part of the attraction to grinding and trying to get them to drop, plus those grinds are great opportunities to meet new friends and hang out with fellow community members. They are not forced onto the players but if you want those items, you need to put the time and effort into getting them ;)

+1 Kilsin!

• 17 posts
    December 2, 2016 2:55 PM PST

I really wish that games designers would give you the option of choosing UI templates based on your role. Healers tend to focus on different UI elements than DPS or Tanks or even CC. Those UI elements should be placed in different areas of your screen based on your role as well. 

• 30 posts
    December 3, 2016 7:49 AM PST

Community driven and engaged.  Give the freedom to the creative player to provide to the game.  Skyrim is possibly the most successful game because it has the largest community.  If you go to the Nexus moding community you will see that no other game has more mods and more active community that Skyrim, stretching from USA to Korea and Japan.  The reason why you see that is because the developers shared their tools to the community.  

Most MMOs limit their mod support to user interface and log reports.  To this day WoW is the MMO with the most mods, and the MMO that has the richest and longest life, coincidence?   I will like it to be pushed even further.  I'm not referring to gameplay changing mods like altering scripts or God items.  Nothing like that, but aesthetic mods like texture meshes and animation replacers. And the phantheonmmo.com staff will hold a monthly/quaterly competitions which users can submit their mods and the winner gets the mod added to the game as long as they are lore/resource friendly.  Keeping the community engaged should extend the life of the game.

** other competitions I miss are GM events, it is good for the community and the staff to develop a relationship. It should not just be limited to the Forum**

This post was edited by Neonseraphim at December 3, 2016 7:51 AM PST
    • 690 posts
    December 7, 2016 7:16 PM PST

Neonseraphim said:

Community driven and engaged.  Give the freedom to the creative player to provide to the game.  Skyrim is possibly the most successful game because it has the largest community.  If you go to the Nexus moding community you will see that no other game has more mods and more active community that Skyrim, stretching from USA to Korea and Japan.  The reason why you see that is because the developers shared their tools to the community.  

Most MMOs limit their mod support to user interface and log reports.  To this day WoW is the MMO with the most mods, and the MMO that has the richest and longest life, coincidence?   I will like it to be pushed even further.  I'm not referring to gameplay changing mods like altering scripts or God items.  Nothing like that, but aesthetic mods like texture meshes and animation replacers. And the phantheonmmo.com staff will hold a monthly/quaterly competitions which users can submit their mods and the winner gets the mod added to the game as long as they are lore/resource friendly.  Keeping the community engaged should extend the life of the game.

** other competitions I miss are GM events, it is good for the community and the staff to develop a relationship. It should not just be limited to the Forum**

This. All of it. Yes!

• 2130 posts
    December 7, 2016 10:25 PM PST

Neonseraphim said:

To this day WoW is the MMO with the most mods, and the MMO that has the richest and longest life, coincidence?

Probably, yeah. Correlation =/= causation. RIFT had an extensive add-on system that rivaled WoW, and it clearly didn't do anything for the long term success of the game.