Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What would you change?

• 9115 posts
    November 14, 2016 3:47 AM PST

Most members of our community have experienced online gaming in some fashion, but has there ever been a feature that you felt would be more enjoyable if one aspect was changed slightly?

• 62 posts
    November 14, 2016 4:25 AM PST

User interfaces tend to get cluttered after a while with multiple chat windows for guild, tells, zone, etc. It would be great if we could off-load those windows to extra screens like monitors or tablets. 

• 9115 posts
    November 14, 2016 4:50 AM PST

zaktaros said:

User interfaces tend to get cluttered after a while with multiple chat windows for guild, tells, zone, etc. It would be great if we could off-load those windows to extra screens like monitors or tablets. 

Yeah, that is something I personally get frustrated with in many games as I use a three monitor set up but usually only game on my main monitor, good thinking :)

• 172 posts
    November 14, 2016 5:05 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Most members of our community have experienced online gaming in some fashion, but has there ever been a feature that you felt would be more enjoyable if one aspect was changed slightly?

Definitely, one thing that i would love changed not just slightly are dungeon/group finders.. Its appropriate for some games but im not a huge fan.  I like having to form my own groups and create meaningful social experiences and finding your own groups for dungeons is a great way to do that!

This post was edited by Aayden at November 14, 2016 5:06 AM PST
    • 724 posts
    November 14, 2016 5:07 AM PST

"Race" specific skills like hiding or foraging. I never understood why these had to be race specific, they are very useful and really, every race should have those basic skills (even if most don't care to develop them, that's what classes are for).

Race specific things like "higher magic resistance" for gnomes, or "better chance to find ore when harvesting" for dwarves make sense. But not stuff like the above, which really every race should have access to.

• 200 posts
    November 14, 2016 5:27 AM PST

That camp that you killed the same "Rare" spawn for literally 85 spawn cycles and never got the drop you wanted.  Make an achievement or an option that after 50 or 100 kills you get to select a reward from any item in that NPC's loot table to put you out of your misery!!

This post was edited by Warben at November 14, 2016 5:30 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 14, 2016 6:15 AM PST

Aayden said:

Kilsin said:

Definitely, one thing that i would love changed not just slightly are dungeon/group finders.. Its appropriate for some games but im not a huge fan.  I like having to form my own groups and create meaningful social experiences and finding your own groups for dungeons is a great way to do that!

Yeah, automating those systems can take a lot of the meaningful interaction out of finding groups, actually communicating with your fellow gamers can be the start of great relationships or conversations, eliminating that by automating it is a queue system isn't something we want to do.

• 9115 posts
    November 14, 2016 6:17 AM PST

Sarim said:

"Race" specific skills like hiding or foraging. I never understood why these had to be race specific, they are very useful and really, every race should have those basic skills (even if most don't care to develop them, that's what classes are for).

Race specific things like "higher magic resistance" for gnomes, or "better chance to find ore when harvesting" for dwarves make sense. But not stuff like the above, which really every race should have access to.

Yeah, I tend to agree and it can be tricky to balance this stuff out, I think a lot of Devs run out of ideas and end up associating classes like Rangers and Druids to be at one with nature, which means they must also be able to harvest, track and forage everything better than everyone else too! lol :D

• 137 posts
    November 14, 2016 6:20 AM PST

Overly robust modding abilities. Honestly I'm not a fan of any mods, the issues that plagued early MMOS with having to download updates that had damn near 50% chance of containing a virus were rediculous. But at least they were limited to things like UI skins, dps meters and raid organizers.

In modern MMOS like WoW the modding systems have been turned into a way to just further separate the community. Case in point, the last time I played my Warrior in WoW I was standing in Storm wind trying to get a group for an instance, mind you I already beat the instance once before and had equiped the sword that drops from the last boss of the zone. We get the group almost completely fleshed out, and the group leader tells me I don't have a high enough gear score and kicks me from the group for the stupid instance I already have the sword from.....I get that you can still inspect someone and come to a similar conclusion, but I don't think systems should be in place that allow players to do a quick "Your in / You suck" decision.

I really could go on and on about mods that go overboard with quest help, resource finders, etc.....but really I prefer if mods are allowed at all, the resources that can access to should minimal. Nothing like joining a guild and being told mods X, Y and Z are required.

This post was edited by Riply at November 14, 2016 6:22 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 14, 2016 6:21 AM PST

Warben said:

That camp that you killed the same "Rare" spawn for literally 85 spawn cycles and never got the drop you wanted.  Make an achievement or an option that after 50 or 100 kills you get to select a reward from any item in that NPC's loot table to put you out of your misery!!

Hahaha, no chance my friend, that is what makes the item so valuable and sort after, is its rarity, obviously we won't do this for the majority of drops but to have a few exclusive items that rare is part of the attraction to grinding and trying to get them to drop, plus those grinds are great opportunities to meet new friends and hang out with fellow community members. They are not forced onto the players but if you want those items, you need to put the time and effort into getting them ;)

• 9115 posts
    November 14, 2016 6:23 AM PST

Riply said: Overly robust modding abilities. Honestly I'm not a fan of any mods, the issues that plagued early MMOS with having to download updates that a damn near 50% chance of containing a virus were rediculous. But at least they were limited to things like UI skins, dps meters and raid organizers. In modern MMOS like WoW the modding systems have been turned into a way to just further separate the community. Case in point, the last time I played my Warrior in WoW I was standing in Storm wind trying to get a group for an instance, mind you I already beat the instance once before and had equiped the sword that drops from the last boss of the zone. We get the group almost completely fleshed out, and the group leader tells me I don't have a high enough gear score and kicks me from the group for the stupid instance I already have the sword from.....I get that you can still inspect someone and come to a similar conclusion, but I don't think systems should be in place that allow players to do a quick "Your in / You suck" decision. I really could go on and on about mods that go overboard with quest help, resource finders, etc.....but really I prefer if mods are allowed at all, the resources that can access to should minimal. Nothing like joining a guild and being told mods X, Y and Z are required.

I personally really enjoy modding for games like Skyrim and Witcher 3 etc. but for MMORPGs, I tend to agree with you and I only usually like reskinning my UI to something more in line with my tastes (colour, layout, size, fonts etc.)

We won't have DPS or Aggro meters but we will allow UI tweaking to some extent. :)

• 200 posts
    November 14, 2016 6:39 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Warben said:

Hahaha, no chance my friend, that is what makes the item so valuable and sort after, is its rarity, obviously we won't do this for the majority of drops but to have a few exclusive items that rare is part of the attraction to grinding and trying to get them to drop, plus those grinds are great opportunities to meet new friends and hang out with fellow community members. They are not forced onto the players but if you want those items, you need to put the time and effort into getting them ;)

As much as I don't like being told "NO WAY"  it made my heart smile some reading it!

• 1281 posts
    November 14, 2016 7:02 AM PST

More distinction between classes with less worry about balance

Less focus on single player quest driven play

End of “expansion blight”

• 613 posts
    November 14, 2016 9:17 AM PST

Hey Kilsin,

I think the UI is a good thing that needs some help. Maybe better tools to change the orientation and field alignments.   Make is it easier for folks to manage that on their own. Nothing worse than a unsightly UI when trying to get your immersion on. That sounded kind of dirty…

Sound transition areas. Example is running in a city and you run passed a pub or busy open space and you hear nothing. The game should feel alive with sound. It should also feel smooth as you move through those areas.

Great sound track. Music in general. I know most people end up turning off the in game sounds. I think if the game has a rich sound track and environmental dynamics for it that would be on my list.

Ok so there is few…

Ox

Oxillion member and officer of The Dragon Accord

• 151 posts
    November 14, 2016 11:27 AM PST

Sarim said:

You really feel that an ogre should be able to hide as well as a halfling?

My answer to the question would be Environments. I loved the slippery floors in velk's lab and feel there should be more zones where the environment takes a bigger roll.

This post was edited by Maximis at November 14, 2016 11:29 AM PST
    • 137 posts
    November 14, 2016 11:37 AM PST

Sarim said:

Oddly enough I would like to see more race specific trates. Heck I would even welcome back the slower experience but increased hp regeneration that Trolls got in EQ1......once VR comes to their senses and adds Trolls back in =P

• 1921 posts
    November 14, 2016 11:49 AM PST

I would change static drops, static spells, static effects, and static appearances.  Static, frankly, sucks in 2017+.  For those familiar with EQ, I think Pantheon should start out with LDON style loot from the word go, and expand that system into skills, spells, appearance and effects.

Everything should be customizable, and the tech has existed for over 10 years to do it.  There's no excuses, just a lack of vision.

With appropriate frequency limits/caps, I would allow the player to customize all of the following:

Skills/Spells. (range, recast/cooldown, # of targets, damage type(s), resistability, bane, more)

Equipment. (every value in the database, with appropriate caps; AC, stats, pools, regens, damage, resists, focus effects, procs, clickies, spell/skill enhancements, more)

Appearance. (skins for everything, gear, mounts, pets, armor, weapons, more.)

Particle Effects. (color, type, style, density, more.)

And of course, the overarching "Optionally disabled on each client" where appropriate, so if you don't want to see any of the visual customization, you can turn it all off on your end, and see nothing, or the defaults.

If the player is really consuming the Environment to customize their character, this is how you can do it.

This post was edited by vjek at November 14, 2016 11:50 AM PST
    • 9 posts
    November 14, 2016 12:22 PM PST

Is removing something entirely considered tweaking it? If so then I would remove VoiceChat options.  I miss typing out raid and group information, and in all honestly i think it added to the social aspect of the game.  When General,OOC, Zone, Group and guild chat were all going at once then it got overwhelming at times, but when even then you could turn off one or all of them.  I feel like when you can listen to your guild/group talking you are less likely to read any text on your screen and might miss out of a newbie asking for help or some random elite player giving out buffs at the zone in.  

• 110 posts
    November 14, 2016 12:26 PM PST

I like the concept of storyline quests in MMOs, but I'm not a fan of making it overly personal. Let me explain: I like the idea of a quest that reads like a story, that is spread out over many tasks and helps you understand what's going on in that area. It doesn't have to be an epic quest, but just one that adds color and flavor to a zone. It doesn't have to be required for progression, but can be enjoyed by people who like that kind of thing. However, I don't like the idea of a personal stoyline in an MMO. These kinds of quest lines, like in Guild Wars 2 or SW:TOR, has every individual in the world being the one person who ends up the top dog, according to the stoyline quest. They were great quests with great stories, but I didn't like the "You win!  You helped us, and we are going to celebrate you!" outcome. I was the Commander of the forces that defeated Zhaitan the Elder Dragon ... and so was everyone else. ("Yes, we are all individuals!")

If I remember correctly, the "storylines" of the epic quests in EQ were framed in such a way that the individual player wasn't going to be told they would be the only person in the world worthy enough to end up with this weapon. I'm pretty sure they were much more generic, like, "Who soever is worthy of completing these tasks can forge this great weapon."

• 93 posts
    November 14, 2016 1:07 PM PST

I agree with those discussing the ability to manipulate the UI.  I don't mind the use of mods and have never used them to get rid of anyone from a group, but do understand that mods can causeseparation and support that kind of mentality.  However if mods were not allowed or just restricted to the UI that would be fine, because that is the way it is.

My reply to the question is:

Mounts. 99% of the time mounts are just glorified pixels which you use to get from place to place quicker, nothing more. I'd like mounts to be more than that, to actually be meaningful. They can have equipment, like barding which increases stability so you have less chance of being knocked off your mount. You could forgo the barding and have saddle bags for extra storage. Instead of buying a new mount because you've just leveled up and get that quicker mount, why not be able to 'train' your mount to move quicker. There's so much that could be done to attach your mount to your character, to have it grow with your character. Hmmm... you did say 'changed slightly', I should stop now! 

~~~ <()> ~~~
    Valor and virtue ride with me, my blade defends the helpless,
    my might upholds the weak, my words speak only truth,
    my wrath undoes the wicked!
    <~ Vaultarn Stormborn ~>

• 1404 posts
    November 14, 2016 1:09 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Mounts in the city's.

I'm not overly fond of mounts in the first place but players blocking the banker, or the mailbox, or merchant be it due to them being inconsiderate of others, or internationaly intentionally I find extremely irritating.

This post was edited by Zorkon at November 14, 2016 1:43 PM PST
    • 633 posts
    November 14, 2016 1:14 PM PST

Soundtracks.  I love a lot of music in MMO's, and have for a long time.  But if I'm spending 4 hours in a zone, listening to the same exact music play over and over again gets kinda old.  It would be nice if the music would occasionally change up, maybe have multiple songs for zones, or songs that don't apply to specific zones that get mixed in from time to time.  And at least one of those songs would have to be the music from the Plane of Torment.  :)

• 1019 posts
    November 14, 2016 2:42 PM PST

I wish casting spells, doing attacks (special attacks, not just auto attacking) casting heals were an interactive activity on your screen duing said action. 

You want to cast a heal, you have to click and hold and draw a circle on your screen. The better the circle the stronger the heal. Want to do a super heal, you have to click and hold and draw a star, and at each point of the star press a letter. The better you do this, the faster, the stronger the heal. Unable to do that one as good as the easy circle, stick with just doing the circle.

Same thing goes with attacks or dmg spells. Fireball. Click and hold and draw a straight line. The better and faster you do this, the more dmg the fireball does. Want to do a Super Duper Fireball? Click and hold and draw a Z and a 0 while pressing certain keys along the way. If you do this badly, it might not be as strong as a prefectly done Fireball, but do it well and it'll do amazing damage. 

Eventually, skill comes into play. Great healers can prove they are great, great Wizards can prove they are great. Great fighters can prove they are great by mastering the hardest of abilities. You don't want to work at being great, but just want to have fun playing? Ok, then doing a simple sword slash would be easy. Click and hold and draw a line Left to Right. Easy enough. But to be great in game, you actually have to be good IRL.

• 9115 posts
    November 14, 2016 3:47 PM PST

Nice replies, some unexpected but good ones in there! :)

• 294 posts
    November 14, 2016 5:19 PM PST

I have always wanted the ability to influence the outcome of a strategic strike, crafting session, etc... with luck. So many times what I am doing in a game requires an endless grind to attain to, only to be thwarted at the end by random dumb luck. I can do everything correctly and not reap the reward that I wanted. Perhaps a strategic way to influence that in a better direction would be luck that I have saved to use at the right moment. Just a thought.