Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Mature Audiances Only Please...

• 513 posts
    August 22, 2016 7:01 AM PDT

Assuming that using bad language is OK because there IS a filter is not the message.  You should put forth every effort to NOT use these words/terms at all.  IF you decide you wish to use "colorful language" you should have a private chat with all of those involved invited to the chat.  PRIVATE chat areas, guild chat, etc. - THESE should NOT be monitored for language in any way.  But GENERAL chat?  You should always assume that your mom is sitting there listening.  Even if your mom is the mother of a pair of Marines and cusses better than both of them.  No foul language.

And again, please remember what I posted earlier - no matter where you are chatting in-game - or what the situation - it is being recorded.  The things you talk about now will be available for review for 20 years or more.

• 103 posts
    August 22, 2016 10:12 AM PDT

Im all for a language filter being on by default, but honestly every MMO has a that "online interactions" disclaimer near the ESRB rating. Im with the OP... if they uncheck the language filter there is no good reason to reprimand anyone cursing unless its (a) targetted and derogatory, racist, sexist, etc. or (b) they obviously try to bypass the filter by mispelling or using special characters or what have you.

• 1303 posts
    August 22, 2016 10:30 AM PDT

I'm all for a language filter being applied by default. I'm also of the opinion that swearing doesnt mean you're mature. But at the same time I'm infinately sick and tired of the political correctness zealots. My get-the-****-over-it meter is pegged. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at August 22, 2016 11:07 AM PDT
    • 613 posts
    August 22, 2016 10:50 AM PDT

I can remember in EQ when someone would post a nasty comment in chat the response was immediate to the extent of that person was called out for it and reprimanded. We had great GM’s and that sort of thing was not tolerated. Now we have armies of foul mouthed kids and adults just pretty much sounding off at will. I use WoW for the best/worst example of in game chat gone bad. Don’t get me wrong I can deliver a foul tirade with the best of them but I won’t do it due to the kids that are playing. It’s just how I play. I am a throwback but I don’t care I will behave and take the higher ground.

Community as Yarnilla stated is a key factor. We all have to do our part. It may be a losing battle but its one that needs to be fought.

In game GM presence. I think this may need to be brought back. As a human response to no consequences for ones actions people will descend into a vapid bunch of infants. I have seen this in every game I have played in the past 10 years.

Language filters should be available it’s just a smart thing to do.

Just some thoughts on this one…

Ox

• 409 posts
    August 22, 2016 12:06 PM PDT

Well, given that the first chat customization everyone should do is turn off /ooc, /general, /local and /newbie (whatever that channel happens to be), you can avoid a ton of this kind of thing anyway, and for whatever is left, just turn on the profanity filter (or don't turn it off, since most MMOs ship with it set to filter=on by default). 

Not sure I see the need to censor via GM what is so easily censored by the individual. 

FWIW, I turn off all annoying chat, I run the profanity filter on, and I can build an /ignore to 100+ within an hour of logging in most games. Never needed a GM's help for that. Not even back in my Day 1 of MMO LIFE EVAR times.

IMHO, YMMV.

This post was edited by Venjenz at August 22, 2016 12:07 PM PDT
    • 18 posts
    August 24, 2016 3:38 PM PDT
    Cussing flippantly in real life is one thing. Cussing flippantly per your example in the OP is just pointless. Cussing in said manner will get you looks/comments wherever you go. Think of a general discussion as a public forum (which it is), and operate within the norms of said forum. It's really not hard.
    • 31 posts
    August 25, 2016 12:50 PM PDT

I don't care if someone uses foul language.  But I do care about the fools who think I logged into a game to hear their political or religious views.  Leave that stuff in the "real world" where it belongs.

• 2756 posts
    August 25, 2016 2:36 PM PDT

I always turn filters off.  I do not attempt to circumvent filters.  I swear in chat when it is... mm... appropriate.  If people whine about my swearing I tell them "how can you see my swearing? If you are offended by swearing, why would you turn off your filter?"

Simple.

I have to say, in my experience, it's the kids that do the excessive, offensive swearing (yes, you can tell) they aren't the ones that need protecting.

This post was edited by disposalist at August 25, 2016 2:38 PM PDT
    • 513 posts
    August 25, 2016 3:47 PM PDT

Speaking of religion - in general chat or in ANY public channel it is always best to speak as if you are in a Church, Mosque, Temple, etc.  Even if you are an Athiest etc.  Try to keep the tone appropriate and the content should be as well.  It is ALWAYS best NOT to bring up religion or politics.  In the past, in most cases, something so trivial as poking fun at someone's religion would be a violation of the ToS (Terms of Service) and could be punishable by as much as a permanent ban.  It is always best to AVOID these issues by simply using your good sense.  If it is NOT a public channel, then have at it.

To tell the truth, I am a former Marine.  I am a former Censor for "another company".  I doubt ANYONE knows more dirty words than me.  I HAVE been suspended from games for foul mouthery.

• 114 posts
    August 25, 2016 3:55 PM PDT
    Personally I don't care about bad words etc in chat. I do not however wish to listen to political crap, RL religious stuff, or things having to do with rape etc.

One of the biggest peeves especially I have is to hear someone talking in general chat about " that mob raped me" or so on. That is what I would want a filter for if possible. At the very least a reporting system of some sort...
    • 308 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:40 PM PDT

If i am cursing in general chat, and someone points it out that cursing is bad m'kay... then i know that they have turned off the profanity filter just so that they could see my curses and run me down about em. as such i mark those players on my ignore list as they are morons and call it a day. actually i would have an Eula agreement pop up when someone disables the profanity filter that they are agreeing to view profanity and are over the age of 18.

• 513 posts
    August 25, 2016 10:18 PM PDT

Not in public channels.  There is NO excuse for cussing in public channels.  Do not do it.  If you feel the need to do so - get a private channel.

• 243 posts
    August 25, 2016 11:32 PM PDT

I sometimes wonder how people are able to hold down jobs with what they say and act like in games or on forums.  I have been disappointed by those in my own profession by how they interact with each other on job boards.  I really don't remember this current kind of behavior in chat channels when I began my first mmo addiction back in 2000.  My first guild leader really hated what he called "dewdspeak," and would type out his displeasure rather eloquently.  I think most of us here agree that we don't want chat channels full of religious (for or against) or political rhetoric.  I personally don't see a reason for curse words either, but understand that some people need them.  If you really are cursing using a keyboard I would think that it would look closer to something like this: uougnuibvsetjnk, I just did that by banging on my keyboard.  Profanity filters take care of most of it, and as far as I am concerned that's all that is really necessary.  I have always kept it on in any game that I play.  All they really are is a text bleep, and the word you are using is pretty obvious to those that can read.  I personally think that after all is said and done the community in general will decide what they want to tolerate, and it may surprise people.

• 1303 posts
    August 26, 2016 7:19 AM PDT

@Rominian -- Seriously?!
    You didnt mention which game you started on in 2000 but the options were very limited. The zone chat in Everquest East Commondlands was notoriously a trainwreck. It was constant bickering and badgering and political and religious fighting. There were racist and bigoted commentary. There were guild flames because so and so blocked whoever. There were  accusations of training, killstealing and ninja looting along with the inevitable retaliatory accusations in response. And East Commonlands wasnt unique. All it took was one person making a stupid or accusatory comment and the stupidity would cascade from there.

Player 1: "Blah."
    Player 2: "What do you mean, Blah, you idiot!"
    Player 3: "Hey dont call him an idiot!"
    Player 4: "Only a [darogatory] calls people idiots."
    Player 5: "RACIST!"

Player 1: "Um... mistell"

This post was edited by Feyshtey at August 26, 2016 7:20 AM PDT
    • 20 posts
    August 26, 2016 7:35 AM PDT

I think people need to just suck it up and be an adult. If you can't handle being triggered by what someone says, ignore them, keep your language filter on, or remove yourself from the public chat channels. If someone wants to present themselves in an immature manner, they should be allowed to damage their reputation, but GM action / in game censorship when there is a profanity filter that can be enabled is a silly thought.

• 243 posts
    August 26, 2016 10:05 AM PDT

@Feyshtey 

Honestly I didn't spend much time in EC, when I was there the chat moved so fast from people selling that I could hardly keep up with it.  I really don't remember those sorts of things Fey, but I don't doubt your word.  Perhaps I am remembering incorrectly, or have chosen to block it :)  I will just put my chat filter on and worst case put people on ignore if things get out of hand.  

• 763 posts
    August 26, 2016 10:29 AM PDT

@Feyshtey

@Rominian

EC did have a few 'spats' during the busy times, though frankly sellers outweighed almost all other chat by a wide margin. At least OOC there was *busy*. Between shouts for Griffs, Orc Campchecks, the named at Orc-1 spawning, ghouls/lions trained to tunnel or WTS stuff calls.... you could barely keep up on a good night. But, yes there was sone crap. No surprise there.

However - i *did* win a cool item for solving a maths problem (finding intergal of e^(-x^2) as i recall) in OOC in EC. Nice Mage gloves as i recall (may have been green?).

Personally less worried about profanity in chat (there will be some, but likely not loads) - more worried about some precious little snowflake taking offence for some ridiculous thing that only *they* consider offensive to their little sensibilities!.

Kilsin - Is there *any* chance of getting the word 'trigger' consider a 'rude word' for inclusion the profanity filter list? :)

• 279 posts
    August 26, 2016 11:28 AM PDT

I can't resist the inner troll in me says i've just gotta say it.

Mature people spell Audiance: Audience.

/ducks

(sorry had to)

• 1303 posts
    August 26, 2016 11:48 AM PDT

@Evoras  - Oh my god. So incredibly true. The special little snowflakes and their triggers. 

@Kilsin - Can we add the phrase "micro agression" to the filters as well please so that my eyes wont bleed if its ever used? 

• 844 posts
    August 26, 2016 3:29 PM PDT

Chaoticus said:

I just logged into a different game for a bit that I hadnt logged into for some time...I was running around checking out stuff and while answering a persons question in general chat I drop the dreaded "F" bomb in a sentance; not even derogitorily mind you. Just the "yeah, it's over by the "F"ing hill" kind of bomb. To my surprise I triggered 2 people in zone who immediately began to trash me for my unsupporting rude behavior.  PLEASE tell me this game will not place restrictions on language other than the obvious biggotry and such.  I mean "F" already!!!

Mod Edit: Edited out vulgar language that is against our developer forum guidelines, please be mindful of this in the future.

It's cute how you think your use of vulgar language makes you mature, or is even in any way a sign of maturity. It's generally the opposite and immature, insecure kids generally use vulgarity to get noticed in an attempt to make themselves seem more cool and mature. It generally has the opposite effect.

• 133 posts
    August 27, 2016 2:25 AM PDT
    For me, the /ignore function works really well to clean up my personal cyber space from disrespectful and inconsiderate gamers. I don't mind debates as long as they don't inflate into who-can-hurt-the-other-person-more fling fests.

I'm all for a filter for the reasons mentioned by the devs. Swearing doesn't faze me much, but some people need protection and have that right.

One idea that was mentioned here: charged words like 'rape', which is sadly used flippantly these days in gaming situations infinitely less damaging than actual rape, could be included in the filter for the sake of gamers who have had said real life crime forced upon them.

• 1303 posts
    August 27, 2016 5:01 AM PDT

zewtastic said:

It's cute how you think your use of vulgar language makes you mature, or is even in any way a sign of maturity. It's generally the opposite and immature, insecure kids generally use vulgarity to get noticed in an attempt to make themselves seem more cool and mature. It generally has the opposite effect.

I feel much the same way about people who use snarky passive aggressive quips. 

• 513 posts
    August 27, 2016 6:09 AM PDT

So, um, pretty much ALL politicians and news announcers then.  Not to mention ANY of the late night talk show hosts.

Let's not break down into name calling and bad behavior please.

• 1303 posts
    August 27, 2016 7:50 AM PDT

Agree Nephretiti. It's very common now for there to be a divide and conquer mindset. You will stay in line, you will avoid any conversation that might "trigger" someone, or maybe be percieved as a "micro aggression". You will make every effort to avoid ruffling anyone's feathers. 

Which is my whole point on the get-the-****-over-it meter being pegged. 

There is exactly one person who can make you feel insulted: You. 

If you allow your emotions to be dictated by the words someone else uses you will forever be a victim of people's words. You will always be offended, and you will always feel some righteous indignation because there will always be someone like me saying "Get over it". You will always be upset because someone else lives their own life slightly differently than you. You will always be annoyed at some action or phrase. You will forever be on some crusade to correct people. And people being what they are, you will never win. You'll just piss other people off in the attempt. 

The really funny part is that the only people that have demonstrated maturity in this thread, are the people that havent posted in it. 

• 763 posts
    August 27, 2016 7:55 AM PDT

Never been called immature by any of my close lady-friends .....

... hang on, that does mean what I think right?