Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Least / Most played roles

• 1860 posts
    July 12, 2016 10:49 AM PDT

Portalgun said:

Expecting to see a ton of druids ( as porters ),  and a healthy population of enchanters at first, but hard to say really

Hasn't it been stated there will be no "porters" on release?

I do agree that there will likely be a ton of enchanters.  I'm guessing that is the class that ends up being the most popular by a large margin at first. 

• 595 posts
    July 12, 2016 10:56 AM PDT

philo said:

Portalgun said:

Expecting to see a ton of druids ( as porters ),  and a healthy population of enchanters at first, but hard to say really

Hasn't it been stated there will be no "porters" on release?

I do agree that there will likely be a ton of enchanters.  I'm guessing that is the class that ends up being the most popular by a large margin at first. 

I don't specifically remember seeing this stated by the devs, though I could be wrong.  They have confirmed there will be limited forms of fast travel.  At this point, I'm not sure that we know one way or another about the Druid's (or any other class for that matter) ability to port.

• 19 posts
    July 12, 2016 11:25 AM PDT

Playing EQOA youd see lots of DPS, tanks were rare and healers were hard to come by. Finding talented tanks and healer was always tricky to find so you'd fill your friends list with as many as poss. It would be a sigh of relife when you finally found the missing puzzle peice to your grp ;).

• 644 posts
    July 12, 2016 11:29 AM PDT

Portalgun said:

Expecting to see a ton of druids ( as porters ),  and a healthy population of enchanters at first,...

Those were my first two EQ classes and what I was sort of internally debating.

For me, it will be probably Enchanter or Mage or Druid or maybe Rogue because I love sneak-exploring

• 1860 posts
    July 12, 2016 11:33 AM PDT

I was considering enchanter as well but the more I think about it the more I think I might choose a different class. 

Enchanters could end up being a dime a dozen...and with the progeny system, it might be a good idea to start with a class other than what you want as your main in the long run anyway.

• 1778 posts
    July 12, 2016 11:52 AM PDT
    @ Philo

That was from a poorly worded answer from the devs in the last stream. Brad later (cant link stupid android) clarified that he didnt mean it to sound that way and that there would be porter classes. How limited and what classes can do what ports remain to be seen.
    • 595 posts
    July 12, 2016 1:24 PM PDT

Amsai said: @ Philo That was from a poorly worded answer from the devs in the last stream. Brad later (cant link stupid android) clarified that he didnt mean it to sound that way and that there would be porter classes. How limited and what classes can do what ports remain to be seen.

Thanks for clearing that up @Amsai.  I was starting research this thinking I had missed an announcement of some kind ;)

• 1778 posts
    July 12, 2016 1:36 PM PDT
    Oh no problem. I had actually just reread that thread a few days back. So was fresh on my mind.
    • 2419 posts
    July 12, 2016 6:04 PM PDT

Nolaen said:

Hey ladies and gents! Which classes/roles do you think will he most and /least played?

In the beginning of Everquest ive always seen lots of tanks. Nowadays they are always pretty rare IMO. Also Healers sometimes are hard to be found. Which classes will guilds try to recruit?

How could anyone evensay one way or another given we know next to jack squat nothing about combat, spells, abilities or anything else other than the few glimpses we've seen in a not-yet-alpha twitch stream?

Nobody wants to play an underused and under-appreciated class so speculation this early on will only cause problems and I bet everyone already has some concerns already about their preferred class.

• 9 posts
    July 12, 2016 6:50 PM PDT

Thought it was funny how many comments there were for healer being under played. In WoW, healers are a dime a dozen, and the mechanics are so forgiving that a poor raid healer won't be kicked as long as he's consistent.

In EQ, however, I mained a cleric, and I was usually 10 levels below the rest of my group.  Sometimes, a druid would be kicked to make way for me because I'd earned a reputation for grinding a certain zone.

If things are more like EQ, then I think you're right that clerics will be under played because it's hard for a lot of people to manage health, aggro and mana.  On the other hand, if it's like WoW or even FF XIV, then I think you'll find enough people playing a kiddy class.

For me, the one thing I want VR to avoid is the mistake WoW made to healing.  In EQ, I watched the fight and the game play.  In WoW, I stared at raid frames to see when I needed to heal (Paladin healers are reactive healers...closest comparison to EQ clerics).  So please create a healing style where healers will watch the game and not the raid frames.

• 432 posts
    July 12, 2016 7:26 PM PDT

So please create a healing style where healers will watch the game and not the raid frames.+

I'm so with you brother.

On another note, World of Warcraft Legion has some interesting changes coming. It is said that Healing is going to become more difficult and wipes will be soley on their shoulders. I'm skeptic to a degree, but, who knows. I enjoyed healing in WoW due to the sheer amount of tools you get. I hated it because those tools didn't seem important because healing was so easy. It's not so great when you have to search out mythic raiding JUST to have a challenge. Enough WoW bashing from me, after all, i'm going to be playing Legion with the promise things will become more difficult and rewarding (doubtful).

How could anyone evensay one way or another given we know next to jack squat nothing about combat, spells, abilities or anything else other than the few glimpses we've seen in a not-yet-alpha twitch stream?

Nobody wants to play an underused and under-appreciated class so speculation this early on will only cause problems and I bet everyone already has some concerns already about their preferred class.

Vandraad, you're one of us, a person pledged to see this game come to fruiation. Why do you believe this kind of negativity is warented? We have the power to respectfully disagree, why not take that road?

-Todd

• 763 posts
    July 13, 2016 10:19 AM PDT

I still recall the very first time I went to login to EQ (late 1999, early 2000).

I was tempted by Enchanter... but IT TOLD ME ... 'This is not an easy class. It is hard to do well. Don't say you were not warned!'. Not in those words, but clearly enough. This allowed mne to settle on my main by weighing up my options with what limited info i had. I chose Mage and never regretted it.

There WERE fewer Clerics at lower levels. At Low to Mid there were fewer ENC and CLE as people realised how hard it could be to play.

At Mid to Higher levels CLE and (well played) WAR were in demand. DPS was dime-a-dozen.

So....

A. There WILL be classes that are 'underused' or 'under-appreciated' at any given level tier.

B. There WILL always be 'preferred' classes at every level tier.

C. Groups will ALWAYS prefer a known well played 'non-preference' class over an unknown preference class (If the group can still function).

D. Therefore... be as well informed as you can when the game starts.... hope the game devs include a 'difficulty rating' for classes ..... and choose the Class that best holds your interest or fits your playstyle.

After all, if YOU enjoy playing your class and strive to get better, people will come to see this.

PS: people *always* seem to pick DPS classes over utility. Repeat after me ...  "Oh crap!, just wizzies LFG in zone, and I swear one is still AFK from yesterday!"

• 180 posts
    July 13, 2016 10:39 AM PDT

I do think that early on in Everquest, many people played tanks.  I had a lot of trouble getting groups as a paladin back then.  Contrast that with Project 99,  I am playing a warrior and several nights ago I saw that Lower Guk was packed but not one tank was there. I get tells for groups within 5 seconds of logging on sometimes.

I think people realised that in many of these games, casters and DPS classes are just more fun to play.  When Vanguard was released , I noticed a shortage of tanks there also.

This post was edited by Thanakos at July 13, 2016 10:40 AM PDT