Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Least / Most played roles

• 29 posts
    July 7, 2016 6:32 AM PDT

Hey ladies and gents! Which classes/roles do you think will he most and /least played?

In the beginning of Everquest ive always seen lots of tanks. Nowadays they are always pretty rare IMO. Also Healers sometimes are hard to be found. Which classes will guilds try to recruit?

This post was edited by Nolaen at July 7, 2016 6:32 AM PDT
    • 131 posts
    July 7, 2016 6:45 AM PDT

I've always been a big believer in play what you like, be good at your job, and the rest will work itself out.

Guilds will need some of everything, as usual.

• 9115 posts
    July 7, 2016 7:25 AM PDT

MINX said:

I've always been a big believer in play what you like, be good at your job, and the rest will work itself out.

That is a very good mentality to have, especially for a game like Pantheon ;)

• 109 posts
    July 7, 2016 7:36 AM PDT

I love the ranger class, however, I'm used to having to roll a cleric so that the both can get into a guild. Work on getting the cleric high end and slowly get my ranger in more and more to get gear, then eventually can retire the cleric and main the ranger. Go go gadget PUG's/Open Raids

• 132 posts
    July 7, 2016 7:48 AM PDT

MINX said:

Agree with Minx here. My downfall is I love too many classes.

I love being a cleric, but also Love Enchanter, Wizard, Necro, and Druid. So I will have a cleric and enchanter as "mains",  I think...

Guess I have to figure out what this Progeny system is and does before I will understand Alts vs Progeny.

I am not a rank type player, and rogues just doesn't seem fun to me. Kilsin loves rogues tho.

This post was edited by Medjai at July 7, 2016 7:49 AM PDT
    • 428 posts
    July 7, 2016 8:00 AM PDT

Nolaen said:

Hey ladies and gents! Which classes/roles do you think will he most and /least played?

In the beginning of Everquest ive always seen lots of tanks. Nowadays they are always pretty rare IMO. Also Healers sometimes are hard to be found. Which classes will guilds try to recruit?

I have found that Crusaders/Pallys/shadowknight type hybrid classes have always been some of the least played classes.  Whicxh is a shame because my Pally in EQ2 was one of the best tanks in PVE and PVP in the game 

• 96 posts
    July 7, 2016 8:06 AM PDT

The enchanter was my favorite class by far in EQ, so it is definitely what I will be playing in the beginning.  And, if it is even half as involved, that is probably the class that I will stick with as my main.  There was always so much going on with the class, between buffs, debuffs, mezzing, charm breaks, derailing the random train, pulling at times...

Although, I have to admit that the ranger, as it is being talked up, also has me interested.  I'll probably try out a few classes in Alpha/Beta, and test out my favorites while I'm helping to test out the game.

Although, as Medjai mentioned, the Progeny system could completely change my plans, depending on how it is implemented!

• 801 posts
    July 7, 2016 8:14 AM PDT

Being in a raiding guild you do not have many choices. Some raiding guilds allow you to switch mains after some time with them. DKP can be reset or transfered back to your secondary toon.

Some allow boxing while raiding and half points go to that boxed toon.

The goal is to allow others to loot, gain points and raid with their mains because many raiding guilds require quite a few players to maintain a proper raiding schedule.

Spank mobs require key healing classes, and melee. Bellycasters require a mixture of classes. Mostly it boils down to whatever gives you the most dps and holding the mob in one spot classes usually are primary raiding tools.

The faster you can take down the boss mob, the better due to wipes.

• 88 posts
    July 7, 2016 8:54 AM PDT

Tank/primary healer/cc roles will always be highest in demand. And this is not just to say there aren't people playing them, but those who have certain skill sets within those roles.

• 1778 posts
    July 7, 2016 10:00 AM PDT
    I would say least played would be tank or healer. They can be hard and put the player under greater pressure to perform well. That and people more often or not like to see big damage numbers. Least desired would be any sub optimal dps that doesnt have a hook or some special property.
    • 613 posts
    July 7, 2016 10:06 AM PDT

I wonder if the roles have changed in games now to where you dont need the big 3.  People roll whatever they want and go forward with it.  I think the group mentality has been lost of sorts.  Tanks and healers will be needed in Pantheon for sure.  I think with the class makeup and group dynamics VR is going for all the classes with have a roll.  Solo play may change that but the group piece will be interesting to find out how VR is doing with that.

Ox

• 144 posts
    July 7, 2016 11:42 AM PDT

Expecting to see a ton of druids ( as porters ),  and a healthy population of enchanters at first, but hard to say really

I think all classes/roles will be played and found to be useful and needed depending on the situation, and I think a good player that knows their class well, and gives some thought to game mechanics and grouping will do well and always have friends and groups and a good time regardless of of their choice

I think someone that is constantly tabbing out, texting on their phone, not paying attention to the group etc might have difficulty finding groups regardless of what class they choose, even if they choose the most popular/most needed class

• 17 posts
    July 7, 2016 11:53 AM PDT

Portalgun said:

Expecting to see a ton of druids ( as porters ),  and a healthy population of enchanters at first, but hard to say really

I think all classes/roles will be played and found to be useful and needed depending on the situation, and I think a good player that knows their class well, and gives some thought to game mechanics and grouping will do well and always have friends and groups and a good time regardless of of their choice

I think someone that is constantly tabbing out, texting on their phone, not paying attention to the group etc might have difficulty finding groups regardless of what class they choose, even if they choose the most popular/most needed class

I think you just answered a question I had.  Although I cannot find it now, someone posted in a different forum a list of the most popular classes in either EQ or Vanguard (I did not play either).  If I remember correctly druid was the top pick.  I would have guessed warrior or some other melee class would have been the most popular.  Druids having a port is probably one of the reasons it ranked at the top.

I think would like to give healing and/or CC a shot so I will base the class I main on that.

• 15 posts
    July 7, 2016 12:21 PM PDT

I played wiz when eq frist came out was a pain in a$$ to get in groups or guild till i got it max lvl and good gear. But then i started my SK and loved tanking agin pain to MT on so was OT most the time till the right AA's came out. But the thing i could not get into is playing a cle or perhealer i like shm and dru where ok. But cle could not get into them. Something about sitting there looking at party hp made me want to sleep so much lol. Every game i played the thing i seen most was full group of DPS looking for tank heal and cc lol. So i think the tanks , heals and cc will be most wanted like every other game.

• 624 posts
    July 7, 2016 3:24 PM PDT

Bug hunter pre launch.

Some of everything at launch.

Bard post launch.

• 18 posts
    July 7, 2016 3:33 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

MINX said:

That is a very good mentality to have, especially for a game like Pantheon ;)

Yeah until everyone wants to be a Rogue haha

• 432 posts
    July 7, 2016 5:45 PM PDT
    Easy. Least played will be tanks and healers. The reason why would be the gameplay disparity which exists in the common trinity system.
    When you solo all classes play the same. When you group tanks and healers roles change dramatically.

You see the disparity across multiple mmorpgs. Fyi my feel for fixing this is to focus on making gameplay for tanks and healers be more similar to that of dps classes which are the most played classes.
    Ie: tanks using stuns to increase their damage but have the affect of taunting. Or healers aoe heal is a damage dealing move that also heals. Multi layered abilities are important.

Yea dps and cc will be most played. Like every other mmo.

Sent via mobile

-Todd
    • 2138 posts
    July 7, 2016 5:55 PM PDT

The reason i picked a mage was more from my assumed personal evaluaiton against the description. They said, you needed to group. But I was not sure how well I would be received ( a little self conscious) feeling I had to earn respect and make friends over time. So when I saw the mage descripotion with "you are your own group" I thought hmm, this might make me more appealing to others, If I already have a small group going, people might be more likely to join- heh

I think that the quarternity (4) that pantheon is dabbling with may allow more diversity in full groups

The nice thing about being a low level is you learn from your own mistakes when trying to solo and learn the class in the newbie areas- once confident then gather more- maybe not a full group, and learn how THAT class is played form observation. Some are good, some are bad- and I guess in time is becomes a refined observation in a full group when even one member is doing something slighly off. Breaking mez is an easy example.

• 184 posts
    July 8, 2016 9:19 AM PDT

I’ve always preferred Hybrid Classes such as Rangers/ Shadow Knights/ Beast Lord…etc… I generally always play a Ranger, but when I really want to test myself I will play an Enchanter to see what kind of trouble I can get into :)

• 4 posts
    July 12, 2016 9:53 AM PDT
    I think in the MMO genre, at least with the millennial age and era - dps seems to come as the most overpopulated class type.

Most statistics and whatnot measure dps over anything else as the pinnacle of achievement inside the game. Being the top dps in the group/raid always came with the highest prestige ( my old guild used to hold people accountable for slacking during trash and got loot accordingly).

I would like to see more skilled tanking and healing classes. You don't see tanks practicing their rotation, or trying different setups to maximize their class as often as dps - because in general all they have to do is stay alive. If there were more variables and nuances to damage mitigation, or dps increasing defensibility, or something of that nature, then perhaps you would see tanks and healers popping up more so they can get the comparable reward for their time and effort.

With that being said, it is true everything will always most likely be needed although people tend to gravitate towards overpowered or highest dps classes.

I can say that you'll see me as a tank, healer, or tanky dps. Dying quickly wearing linen never appealed to me
    • 595 posts
    July 12, 2016 10:11 AM PDT

Sparks said:

I think you just answered a question I had.  Although I cannot find it now, someone posted in a different forum a list of the most popular classes in either EQ or Vanguard (I did not play either).  If I remember correctly druid was the top pick.  I would have guessed warrior or some other melee class would have been the most popular.  Druids having a port is probably one of the reasons it ranked at the top.

I think would like to give healing and/or CC a shot so I will base the class I main on that.

Here's the thread you're referencing.

• 763 posts
    July 12, 2016 10:14 AM PDT

How many of you also admit to being an alt-aholic?

Main since EQ always been Mage. Combo of utility, DPS and off-tanker can push you, skill-wise.

Havng said that, i am likely to have an Alt as Enc and Cleric... possibly a wizzy too. But no more than tha... welll....

• 595 posts
    July 12, 2016 10:22 AM PDT

Evoras said:

How many of you also admit to being an alt-aholic?

Main since EQ always been Mage. Combo of utility, DPS and off-tanker can push you, skill-wise.

Havng said that, i am likely to have an Alt as Enc and Cleric... possibly a wizzy too. But no more than tha... welll....

Oh, without question I am.  I have roles that I tend toward, but even those have evolved over the years.  I will have at least 3 characters in the first several months post launch: my main, a toon I play with my wife and brothers and one I will experiment with that is in a different archetype from the first two.

• 1778 posts
    July 12, 2016 10:27 AM PDT
    Tend to stick with one class for life once i find my groove. Im 99.9% sure that is Bard!! So until then I will probably experiment with support and /or scout type classes (rogue, ranger)
    • 96 posts
    July 12, 2016 10:30 AM PDT

My main reasons for ALTs were either bank storage space, or tradeskills.  A few were created to play with friends who joined the game later than I.  That said, I plan on testing out several classes in Pantheon before I settle on a main, although, if the livestreams are any indication, an Enc is running far ahead of everything else.  I miss EQ for that class...I haven't played another game with a class that came close.   I do intend to try a Ranger, and the shaman and mage may also get a go around, if I have time to work them in between RL commitments.  Ah, for the time that I had back in '99