Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 76 posts
    June 23, 2016 10:10 AM PDT

Xrispie Just posted a comment on within the three features forum topic and I would like to expand on this concept.

EQ Blind: That moment when you’re in Unrest tanking and when you hit 20% hp the ghoul(they blinded correct?) hit you with this and your screen went black. PTSD from hearing the death music right after this happened. When the screen comes back you see the door you got stuck behind and your corpse laying there. What a great memory reminder Xrispie, thank you!! Gotta remember your key bindings!

Adding more things like this would be awesome...blind should defiantly be in the game like this.

Please add other ideas like this that can be added to spells!

This post was edited by Vega at June 23, 2016 10:21 AM PDT
    • 51 posts
    June 24, 2016 12:43 PM PDT

Yes please more of this!

• 613 posts
    June 27, 2016 9:44 AM PDT

I think it should be in there too.  Makes the immersion a fun experience.  Well not the blind part.  Good idea though!

Ox

• 10 posts
    June 27, 2016 10:25 AM PDT

Loved it in EQ.  I can still vividly remember my first experience with the mechanic... and the immediate death from running off a platform while trying to troubleshoot my broken monitor...

Not at all opposed to having it again. I'm ready for it this time...

• 1303 posts
    June 27, 2016 11:19 AM PDT

Drac346 said:

Loved it in EQ.  I can still vividly remember my first experience with the mechanic... and the immediate death from running off a platform while trying to troubleshoot my broken monitor...

Hahaha Yes ! First time I got blinded I just froze and stared at the screen and yelled WTF?!!

• 28 posts
    June 27, 2016 4:11 PM PDT

For sure blind, true darkness this stuff is a must.

• 62 posts
    June 27, 2016 4:44 PM PDT

From what I gather, this sounds pretty cool!

• 2138 posts
    June 28, 2016 6:41 PM PDT

Rungupp! I thought my PC was on the fritz- I was doubly pissed, angry at not winning the encounter and fearful for my PC.

remember the first time you got feared?  I was like- why am I running over there where all those monsters are! *Mashes keyboard* *yelling out loud* " HEY!". Saying in group " sorry I dont know why i ran over there, I think My PC is fine nbow, sorry guys i think I need to....." " you got feared" " is THAT what that was? sheesh!"

• 112 posts
    June 30, 2016 6:43 AM PDT

Same boat with rungupp.  That blind hit me and I thought my graphics card died on me...  There's so many things that surprise/shock the hell out of you in that game, the learning curve is a necessary thing for the game.  The hand holding creates a serious lack of immersion.  First time running into a shadowknight npc and thinking holy crap they are strong.  Til you discover it was a single use harmtouch that destroyed you and not a spell with a short cooldown.  First time jumping into the water in Erudin and seeing a shark parked at the docks I yelled out loud.  

First time having buildings to "use" versus aggro from a desert tarantula, thinking the house would save me.  Yea, dead.  So many lessons in that game were learned with a harsh penalty and it worked great.  You screwed up and learned a lesson every time.  

Yes blind and any other new, unique, crippling features should be introduced.  Have a Befuddling spell by enchanter type mobs that either gives you that drunken view from eq or maybe inverts your display for a duration.  Blindness was a great idea, maybe if you get mezzed your screen should dim/blur for the duration it is on?

• 76 posts
    June 30, 2016 8:40 AM PDT

Lokkan said:

Have a Befuddling spell by enchanter type mobs that either gives you that drunken view from eq or maybe inverts your display for a duration.  Blindness was a great idea, maybe if you get mezzed your screen should dim/blur for the duration it is on?

I like it! Maybe the screen freezes right when the mezz lands and sounds get somewhat distorted?

• 1303 posts
    June 30, 2016 12:53 PM PDT

P1999EQLandmark said:

Lokkan said:

Have a Befuddling spell by enchanter type mobs that either gives you that drunken view from eq or maybe inverts your display for a duration.  Blindness was a great idea, maybe if you get mezzed your screen should dim/blur for the duration it is on?

I like it! Maybe the screen freezes right when the mezz lands and sounds get somewhat distorted?

Or have the game  switch a random groupmates character model and that of the mob.... 

• 2138 posts
    June 30, 2016 5:57 PM PDT

Or have the game  switch a random groupmates character model and that of the mob.... 

Griegs end! that happened all the time in griegs end because grieg went insane......and its pronounced "loose-lin" ( heh)

• 432 posts
    June 30, 2016 7:30 PM PDT

Yeaa ... first time I got hit by a 'Flash of Light' spell from another paladin ON my paladin .. I was like WTF!? and then realized my computer didn't crash ...it was the spell effect.

I literally said 

"This is what I am DOING TO PEOPLE?"

So horrible *shakes head* lol

-Todd

• 133 posts
    June 30, 2016 10:06 PM PDT

Granted I never played EverQuest, wish I had. Regardless this mechanic sounds priceless. It's seriously things like this that add that extra bit of flavor to mix things up and keep you on your toes. Hopefully VR considers this as they work on the game.

• 1303 posts
    July 1, 2016 9:53 AM PDT

Hunk said:

Granted I never played EverQuest, wish I had. 

It's not too late !! 

Project1999.com 

Old school EQ. It's actually not as it was at release, but it's how it was after only 2 expansions and they have no plans to go beyond that. It's still pretty close to the earliest days of the game  in this state. 

• 578 posts
    July 26, 2016 1:05 PM PDT

It would be cool if there were certain audio cues that players needed to hear to act upon. Possibly finishing a chain attack or countering a spell or intercepting an attack. THEN, a mob could cast silence on a player so that they could not hear anything and their speakers go absolutely quiet. Now, they cannot hear their audio cues and will have to get cured asap so they can regain hearing and their sound.

• 211 posts
    July 26, 2016 1:52 PM PDT

Haha, yeah this was a good mechanic, and I'd like to see it in Pantheon. My suggestion is to maybe leave the UI up, even though the rest of the screen goes black, so no one thinks their pc just blew up!

• 1434 posts
    July 26, 2016 2:15 PM PDT

Feyshtey said:

Hunk said:

Granted I never played EverQuest, wish I had. 

It's not too late !! 

Project1999.com 

Old school EQ. It's actually not as it was at release, but it's how it was after only 2 expansions and they have no plans to go beyond that. It's still pretty close to the earliest days of the game  in this state. 

Imo, wait till they release a new server. Old servers are so mudflated people give everything away. There are more trak bps, cloak of flames and fungi tunics on the server than there are players. Everything is way too easy for it to be considered classic Everquest.

• 207 posts
    July 26, 2016 9:55 PM PDT
    These sound like very awesome(albeit frustrating) mechanics...

Blind causes your monitor to white out...
    Fear forces you to run at mobs...

What if a mechanic prevented you from being able to communicate with your party? Or a mechanic that forces you to attack your team mates, maybe even a status effect that slows your movement:)
    • 202 posts
    July 26, 2016 10:44 PM PDT

Drac346 said:

I laughed so hard at this when you said you thought your monitor broke! hahaha

I am all for the "Blind" mechanic and any others like it. It breaks another level of immersion to the game and makes it more interesting.

• 763 posts
    July 27, 2016 1:53 AM PDT

1.    Very 1st time blinded in EQ, I thought my monitor (old 17-inch CRT that weighed/size of baby hippo) might have died! seem to recall hearing all the sound of fighting,,, but no piccie! VERY alarming.

2.    1ST time i overingdulged with beer (thought it would save me getting some water) .... knocked back 5-6 of these so I wouldnt get the 'you are thirsty' message while fighting at Orc#1. Hey, group, my PC seems to have gone all funny. Picture skewed and move keys not working properly....

3.    LOVE the idea of using sound to give weight to 'stun' mechanics. If you have played 'World of Warships' and been citadeled, you will know the 'loud bang followed by all sound being muffled and your picture going a bit blurry' effect they use. It really gives you a wake up call that something BAD just happened. I can see this translating nicely into mechanics for things like big stuns - particularly for those in metal helmets!

4.    Same things could be done for people under 'Mezz', 'Fear', or other effects.

Bring it on! Let us see and feel the fear and panic (not to mention 'tummy rumbling noises' when we are hungry.)

EDIT: formatting doesn't like me!

This post was edited by Evoras at July 27, 2016 1:54 AM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    July 27, 2016 4:54 AM PDT

Lol, I still remember the first time I was blinded in EQ. Toxxulia forest near the bridge, the roaming troll shaman Rungupp got me. Was super scary. Found my corpse near the shore of the river.

Crazy how that was 17 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

• 76 posts
    July 27, 2016 5:05 AM PDT

that feeling when what you thought was a lost thread is near the top of the list a month later when you get on the forums....:O

These mechanics truly revolutionized gaming and can't wait to see what Brad and the team come up with to take us even further down this path.

• 178 posts
    July 27, 2016 5:46 AM PDT

It wasn't just spells. The muddites in Beholder could throw mud in your eyes for the same effect!

I remember the tactic when it happened was to just stand still and keep swinging. Couldn't chase anything fleeing but could still score some melee hits. Your hotkeys also still functioned. I had created a hotkey that I could send a tell to my group that I was blinded. Just loaded it up whenever we may have an encounter where the possibility of being blinded existed..

• 793 posts
    July 27, 2016 6:21 AM PDT

My only issue with EQ blind was complete screen blackout. 

Just because Im blind does not mean one would not still be able to communicate (via chat boxes), or know if they are being hit, about to die etc. Some parts of the UI should have remained visible.

Not to mention as someone else said, that first time it happened, you thought your PC died. :)