Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Town Hubs - A great place to sell your wares!

• 121 posts
    June 2, 2016 11:11 AM PDT
    I hope one of you plan on selling some halfling toe stew. I get hungry on my long adventures
    • 2756 posts
    August 1, 2016 3:51 PM PDT

I would sell a service listing (with name and feature filtering and sorting) all the things that are available for sale around me, because without it the market would be so chaotic as to be useless hehe

• 105 posts
    August 1, 2016 4:04 PM PDT

Hugs and kisses.

• 409 posts
    August 1, 2016 5:15 PM PDT

Well being a rogue.. I wouldn't set up a shop; I'd be stealing from them. ;) - But ofc this a commercial type mmorpg and well there'd be too many complaints if you could do that.. (even tho its allowed and still falls under traditional RP) so I guess I'd have to sell nasty poisons'o'doom.

This post was edited by Nimryl at August 1, 2016 5:16 PM PDT
    • 513 posts
    August 2, 2016 3:28 AM PDT

I hate worldwide auction houses.  I think if you want to buy something from someone - then you gotta do it face to face.  There is a downfall to this though.  Ultimately what happens is that eventually there will be only ONE place everyone has to go too to buy and sell.  Devs usually realize this and then build a rapid transit system so that everyine can buy/sell in a timely manner.  I hate that too.  I wanna see meaningfull travle.  I wanna see multiple locations etc.

In EQ I was trapsing along when they decided to release Kunark.  Lo and behold the first zone I discovered was Timorous Deep.  I explored EVERYTHING that night.  Every Island and yes - I even explored the floor of the ocean.  Yeap - I found the pot room.  I bound myself on the ocean floor right above the pot room and dropped down and made the discovery of the uses of the pots.  WOW!  As an encahnter?  this was freaking AWESOME!  I now had the ability to port to every major city in the world and a rapid fashion.  The next day - they turned the whole zone into no-bind.  But since I was already bound?  I kep that location bound for YEARS.  I made a mint from people buying and selling around the globe.  They would hire me to come to their city, pick up an item, and then take it to another city.  I was the FedEx of EQ.  Yes.  There was a severe penalty.  I had bound myself in Feydedar's spawn point.  I didn't know it at the time and I only ever got caught by him two or three times.  Of course getting caught by him once was enough to die about 4 or 5 times in rapid order.  Fair trade IMHO.  I would LOVE to see something like this again.

As a crafter - in every MMO that offered it that I played - I would say that to be fair - if they set up a stall give them an option to hire an NPC to deliver an item I crafted to a specific city.  The actual delivery should take some time.  None of this instant stuff.  Heck, even add a random chance of the delivery failing due to banditry etc.

• 8 posts
    August 2, 2016 8:49 AM PDT

Nephretiti said:In EQ I was trapsing along when they decided to release Kunark.  Lo and behold the first zone I discovered was Timorous Deep.  I explored EVERYTHING that night.  Every Island and yes - I even explored the floor of the ocean.  Yeap - I found the pot room.  I bound myself on the ocean floor right above the pot room and dropped down and made the discovery of the uses of the pots.  WOW!  As an encahnter?  this was freaking AWESOME!  I now had the ability to port to every major city in the world and a rapid fashion.  The next day - they turned the whole zone into no-bind.  But since I was already bound?  I kep that location bound for YEARS.  I made a mint from people buying and selling around the globe.  They would hire me to come to their city, pick up an item, and then take it to another city.  I was the FedEx of EQ.  Yes.  There was a severe penalty.  I had bound myself in Feydedar's spawn point.  I didn't know it at the time and I only ever got caught by him two or three times.  Of course getting caught by him once was enough to die about 4 or 5 times in rapid order.  Fair trade IMHO.  I would LOVE to see something like this again.

Totally off-topic, but I have to respond to this part of your post with a funny story.

My brother did the exact same thing you did - bound above the firepots on the day of the Kunark release with his necromancer. He still has that as his bind spot on that character. His best friend at the time logged into my brother's character and was two-boxing with his ranger. He died, got upset, and went away from the computer for several hours (but left the game logged in). He forgot my brother's character was bound there, and came back to find that he had lost over 10 levels (from almost max level at the time) due to spawning and then drowning over and over again.

My brother quit playing that character after that.

• 19 posts
    August 27, 2016 5:39 AM PDT

Kilsin, huge fan of the idea! I actually sent in a similar idea to one of the EQ next competitions ! However I think taking this one step further where a Guildhall would be a higher end marketplace. Here you're guild would sell your crafted epic items(if no guildies needed it of course) this way there is guild recognition on each server. Players would be allowed to enter Guildhall's (once enough funding was accomplished within a guild was acquired) where they'd be able to see all of your accomplishments and trophies and able to purchase items from players in the guild who have booths set up for each crafting capability. Sense high-end crafting items will take multiple guild members to retrieve it makes sense that players would need to go to that guilds Guildhall in order to acquire the items they're selling. It would be thence has to pick to hear across chats that this one place in Freeport it's owned by the Black Dragon society has a Guildhall set up that selling the most rare items known in the game. It also sets a basis for a world economy. Just a thought let me know your feedback also hope y'all posted more stream soon love watching you play the rouge my man! Hopefully we see some summoner gameplay soon ;)

• 49 posts
    August 27, 2016 11:07 AM PDT
    First of all, judging by the screenshot, not a lot of adventures are pasning by here. It looks slightly abandoned and the high grass on the road suggests little tear recently. So I would likely set up a booth somewhere else.

However, since we as players will be somewhat travel restricted, setting up trade posts near adventure areas or larger villages makes perfect sense. If you are not able to go to one central bazaar/AH instantly or unable to return to your current adventure area, it has a value for the tradesman to be nearby. A shop in a remote area would most likely charge way more for food and drink than in a village with more competition, just like it should be with supply and demand.
    • 563 posts
    August 27, 2016 11:13 AM PDT

I'm not sure how I missed this question by Kilsin :P

I often take up a tailoring profession especially if it allows me to make clothing as well as cloth armour, so I'd probably set up a stall to sell all my fasionable wares aswell as robes, hats, gloves anything I can make with cloth.

But with clerics being a plate armour class, maybe I'll do something different from my norm and take up armoursmithing or something. Or maybe I'll be a cook and open a food stall! So many possibilities, I can't wait until theres more information about crafting and gathering for us :)

• 624 posts
    August 27, 2016 12:04 PM PDT

As a bard I would write limericks for the jovial, compose ballads for the romantic, create odes for the heroic, anything for a commission.  Until bards exist I will just hire out for kids birthday parties.

• 763 posts
    August 27, 2016 12:45 PM PDT

Kumu said: As a bard

Interesting point you raise....

... are they likely going to implement something like the ABC system for MIDI music?

(such as LotRO uses).

-Evoras, Not a Bard. Ever. Uh Uh. Nope.

• 624 posts
    August 27, 2016 1:04 PM PDT

Another topic for a different thread (but a good one Evoras), this is about selling stuff in stalls.  Perhaps I could try a lemonade stand, or offer advice to adventurers (bard wannabes?) for 5 coppers. So many choices...

• 173 posts
    August 27, 2016 1:12 PM PDT

Not sure how I missed this thread, but I love the idea of shops.  There are so many directions you could go.  You could allow payers themelves (ovviously) sell their wears, or possibley hire a shopkeepr that you could hand your stuff and instruct on the prices of your wares.  Either way, it gets people togehter, like a real living town.  People coming and going, buying and selling thier wears.  This is something I see lacking a lot in most MMO's.  You go through towns or whatnot and they're empty.  I so love after a fun time of before and/or after a session of exploration or whatnot hanging out in town.  FFXIV was the last MMO I played (i'm pretty much on hiatus till I get my hands on Pantheon) and it was a blast to hand out with firends/guildies in the towns.  We'd hoot and hollar and have a good ole time right in the middle of town, along with all the others making thier way around the towns.

• 279 posts
    August 27, 2016 5:24 PM PDT

Calamari, because squids taste good. A good front business for the real business.

Under the table anything your heart could possibly desire... For a price. The off the beaten trail look would also make it a perfect spot. 

No one would expect the Halfling Crusader it's a glorious plot. Don't blame me! The cost of Plate armour is ludicrous!

• 432 posts
    August 28, 2016 4:38 AM PDT

Jewelry.

Definitely jewelry. My PC on all games where it was possible was jewelcrafter and I always liked the idea of working gems and rare metals to turn them into pieces of magics or just splendor .

I always deeply regretted that games don't show jewelry when it is worn (like it is done for armor and weapons) . Just imagine that I'd craft this exceptional blue diamond platinum circlet studded with imbued saphires and some high elf wears it.

It would be glorious if the jewelry graphics were displayed on the players - the white/blue sparkling of diamonds and the deep blue glow of the saphires . Or for a necromancer a necklace with a large egg shaped dark blood red ruby mounted into an elaborated lace of black iron .

It is a bit harder with rings because adventurers generally wear gloves so that rings can't be seen - btw this has always made me wonder how somebody could fight while wearing gloves and rings at the same time .

In any case necklaces, earings and circlets/diadems would deserve to be displayed because people wear jewelry exactly for that reason - to be seen (eventually to reflect this dastardly stun spell coming from behind too) .

However it is clear that I would not set my shop at the place shown on the picture. The customer is obviously  rare there and no jeweler worth his name would bring expensive metals and precious stones costing fortunes into such a destitute environment .

If anything this place looks better suited to embushing and robbing merchants rather than being one .

• 14 posts
    August 28, 2016 12:18 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

If you could set up a stall or shop in a town what would you sell and why?

My spoils of adventure to fund my future adventures.

-Rylas

This post was edited by mattkwi at August 28, 2016 12:18 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    August 28, 2016 2:23 PM PDT

I've mentioned this a few times in other context, but I'm afraid of what expanding and separating the player base will do to the game.

To give context to my issue, in EQ when the game world expanded it started to separate players into smaller regions away from the main game. People would go out to expansion cities and rarely if ever return to the home areas. Every expansion pops up with a city and becomes the new “home base” for players.

I think that in order it bring value to the game and to keep the population together, things like being able to set up shops and stores far away from home should be limited if allowed at all. I like players returning to their home cities to sell, craft, socialize etc. If players are allowed to set up shops anywhere in the world, it just min/maxes travel time, and reduces or eliminates the need to ever come home.

For example, even if a high level player isn’t fighting in Qeynos Hill it’s still nice to keep the game populated and have them return home to Qeynos every day or two. If you never have to return home and can now just use Firiona Vie as your city, the old world becomes empty as players level up.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at August 28, 2016 2:24 PM PDT
    • 68 posts
    August 28, 2016 2:46 PM PDT

I dont care if there are shops as long as I can search all towns and all shops with some sort of global search option> I would then have to run there of course. If this turns out to be anything like Skyrim online when it launched, I wont be playing long. Having to go to every player shop in every city to find what im looking for was an absolute nightmere. One of the worst player to player sales I have ever seen. And we all saw what happened to that game(many things were wrong that was just 1 of them)

If it is a set up one shop there is only one direction it will eventually go, all shops being in the high end zones. This is just a fact.

• 2419 posts
    August 28, 2016 8:14 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

If you could set up a stall or shop in a town what would you sell and why?

A grocery/general goods store.  From my vegetable gardens, crop field, barnyards and coops out back I'll provide mostly food products for the adventurers that pass through the village.  From fresh vegetables and breads to preserved meats and jerkies, and from milks and creams to soft and hard cheeses to fully prepared meals of various complexity.

• 34 posts
    August 28, 2016 11:39 PM PDT

I think it would mostly depend on the area.  If I decide to be a dedicated crafter setting up shop in a bazaar area (like the tunnel), then I might sell whatever is in demand or whatever my crafting specialization is.  If there is a fairly rare quest turn in item for Zone X, however, then I might farm up a few of them and set up shop at the quest giver to make some easy gold.  Either way, I love the idea of shops.  One of my favorite pasttimes in SWG was roaming the countryside looking for that out of the way shop for a particularly well made gun or armor set.  Having crafters that were well known not just for being crafters, but known for very specific types of items created an amazing social game.  Vast was my Light Lightning Cannon guy,  Genevive was my kinetic armor gal, Mord was my droid guy.  The list goes on and on.  I still remember these people after all this time.  I played WoW for a MUCH longer timeperiod and I can't name one dedicated crafter from my time playing.

• 93 posts
    August 29, 2016 1:59 AM PDT

If there was the option to write ingame books I would probably create guides in regards to resource gathering.  Where certain resources might be found, what the expect in regards to what you will receive (number of) when gathering a resrouce, possiblity of rare resources etc.

If ingame books could be created they would need to be able to be edited and refined overtime, not just a one shot purchase, write some details and it's done.  In other mmos I have had a 2nd monitor up for me to make notes about resources which i'd then publish for guildies.  Having the opportunity to sell to the community would be a nice touch.

This post was edited by Vaultarn at August 29, 2016 1:59 AM PDT
    • 334 posts
    August 29, 2016 9:12 AM PDT

At the location in the picture, looks like it's a little town in the midst of an adventuring zone. If I was setting up shop there, I'd probably offer items that players might need replenished after some adventuring and dungeon smashing: food, drink, spirit totems of the wolf, repair kits, bags, potions, poisons, etc.