Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Unreversable Faction Hits

• 1468 posts
    May 27, 2016 4:38 PM PDT

Zenya said:

I agree that actions pertaining to factions should have consequences, but I don't like the idea that you can't fix it - especially if you couldn't know where it would lead. I'm referring to the player ending up missing cool quests because of a mistake they didn't know they were making. That's too harsh in my book.

But what if it closed off some quests that you could no longer do but opened up other quests that you could instead? That would a mix between a punishment and a reward. How cool would it be being a good race and wearing gear that was only available to evil races. You'd look pretty darn cool and I'm sure players would send you tells asking how you managed to do it.

I actually quite like that idea.

• 174 posts
    May 27, 2016 5:59 PM PDT

I kind of like the concept of irreversible consequences, should keep you on your toes.  I do believe it would be nice for some type of forewarning, but that could be a warning from a trainer early in your characters life, i.e. "know this, your diety expects absolute respect for all it's creations.  Taking action against those that follow his/her's ways will be considered unforgivable".  Or as an example upon entering a zone " assisting those that oppose said (diety of choice) shall NEVER again be an ally of (diety of choice)".  I wouldn't like it being spelled out with a warning " accepting this quest will prevent you from completing quests..." you should need to think out a few decisions.  Also should you miss the warnings then do the missed quests with an alt, or reroll.  Then again I've never believed you should be able to do absolutely everything in game on a single character.

• 3016 posts
    May 27, 2016 6:12 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

munge said:

Ok permenent faction hits are fine, But if i kill tunare my diety should change to innorok or something. I shouldent be stuck as a tunare follower with dead end undooable quests. Sure being non KOS in growth is special. But being any other diety in the game and Getting growth loot is more special lol. HELLO IM STUCK WITH TUNARE DIETY AFTER I KILLED TUNARE!!!! HELLO YOUR GAME IS BROKEN!!!! FIX THE STUPIDITY!!!!! Thats what my Petition is going to say lol

So permanent faction hits are fine...yet you still want a way out of the consequences yet your option of switching dieties don't accomplish that.  You still can't do those quests.

Now you're a Wood Elf Druid worshiping Innoruuk.  No new doors are opened to you.  Evil races will probably still hate you based on race.  Good races will now probably hate you based on diety.  You're options are now narrower than had you just stayed KOS to Tunare faction.

I don't think I would want to be stuck in that pickle lol

• 1434 posts
    May 27, 2016 6:19 PM PDT

There has to be alternatives if decisions have that kind of consequence. For instance, characters that worship Tunare should be able to fight other gods and be rewarded by Tunare. Perhaps the very items that a player would acquire by clearing Growth could be given in exchange for items from similar creatures in an adversaries realm. That way you would not need to kill in plane of growth.

Its still problematic though because you're ultimately creating content that only a portion of your playerbase will be able to really experience. I will say that it would make for some pretty awesome scenarios on a PvP server where you and your guild fight to defend the realm of your god.

• 184 posts
    July 8, 2016 9:28 AM PDT

I don't mind irreversible Faction Hits; I believe all actions should have hard and some permanent consequences depending on what a player chooses to do. As an example if I decide to kill some of my deities followers (NPC’s) I should receive a faction hit that is fixable, but if I choose to kill my deity then I should have an irreversible faction hit… A betrayal of killing one’s god should haunt a player forever, and due to the progeny system a player can always reset their faction when they start anew.  

• 610 posts
    July 8, 2016 10:39 AM PDT

I think irreversible faction hits are great

If youre a druid why the hell are you killing things in PoG?

If youre a Pally dont kill Mith Marrs minions

If you follow Inny...well go ahead and kill everything cause we hates em all

• 184 posts
    July 14, 2016 7:27 AM PDT

Sevens said:

I think irreversible faction hits are great

If youre a druid why the hell are you killing things in PoG?

Agreed.. Many Rangers and Druids hated going to POG because of the Faction hits... Damn good loot up there though :)

Rint

This post was edited by Rint at July 14, 2016 7:27 AM PDT
    • 180 posts
    July 14, 2016 9:28 AM PDT

At the very least   I don't think you should be able to switch back and forth between factions at will .  I would like to see weapons and armour that give hidden pluses and minuses to various factions.   That way you couldn't kill and wield the weapon of a king without constantly having to worry about his followers.  Even if you didn't actually assist in killing him, you are wielding his gear.

• 613 posts
    July 14, 2016 10:02 AM PDT

Dullahan said:

There has to be alternatives if decisions have that kind of consequence. For instance, characters that worship Tunare should be able to fight other gods and be rewarded by Tunare. Perhaps the very items that a player would acquire by clearing Growth could be given in exchange for items from similar creatures in an adversaries realm. That way you would not need to kill in plane of growth.

Its still problematic though because you're ultimately creating content that only a portion of your playerbase will be able to really experience. I will say that it would make for some pretty awesome scenarios on a PvP server where you and your guild fight to defend the realm of your god.

I had to think about this one for a bit.  I like the premise due to the consequences for your actions needs to be taken into account. No more of this zerg mentality and mindless hack slash stuff. If you want to play like that there should be real consequences.

On the other hand, the problems you stated are big ones. Content would be specific and there are those out there that won’t understand why they got jumped by the guards at the local village. Of course will get out on social media and on these forums to complain. To be fair if everyone knew up front that your play style can affect the game I would be ok with that.

The content issue is a big one. That is an under taking that take resources to do and is it part of the game model. I think it can and should be done. That would put a new level of challenge into the game play. Your now an outcast what do you do.

Good post!

Ox

• 34 posts
    July 16, 2016 1:36 PM PDT
    Irreversible faction damage, hmm, not a fan. Hopefully, the inhabitants of Terminus have a little more forgiveness in them than does the average human being~