Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Regional and Factional Languages

• 163 posts
    April 25, 2016 5:19 AM PDT

These were my feelings and thoughts towards languages in a previous thread. I generally like the idea, depending on it's execution.

"I agree with wanting to see languages make a comeback. However, in order for it to matter to me, I would like to see it have more of a significance in the role of factioning and questing. If you want to have the best of factions with another race... maybe it's best to have knowledge of their language? If you wanted to turn it into an elaborate skill system, you could go for different tribal and regional dialects."

• 610 posts
    April 25, 2016 6:15 AM PDT

I love the idea of languages and having to learn them...but I hope a system besides just spamming chat is used. What I would also love to see is a cap put on the amount of languages one can learn, have the number based on your intelligence. I want it to make a difference what languages I want to learn. Cant do that one quest because I dont speak dragon, well shoot thats the breaks (or have it that a mage can scribe scrolls that will allow you to read and speak a language for a short duration.....community input to solve a problem ftw!)

• 112 posts
    April 25, 2016 7:43 AM PDT

To branch off of what stevens touched on, how about your intelligence limits how thorough you can learn a language.  Like an Ogre can learn two languages, and if he/she chooses to learn a third, then they start losing proficiency in one/both of the other languages.  So an Ogre could in theory learn 3 languages or 4, but they would be broken-ogre, broken-elven, broken-human, and broken-gnome with just enough to get by with npc's.

Would it be worth the time to program that?  Possible it goes to how many words out of a conversation get scrambled/garbled.

/OOC "Dagnabbit, I only know basic gnome, can someone help me translate what Noblar Gnomeskie wants for the quest with bones?"

• 610 posts
    April 25, 2016 8:06 AM PDT

Lokkan said:

To branch off of what stevens touched on, how about your intelligence limits how thorough you can learn a language.  Like an Ogre can learn two languages, and if he/she chooses to learn a third, then they start losing proficiency in one/both of the other languages.  So an Ogre could in theory learn 3 languages or 4, but they would be broken-ogre, broken-elven, broken-human, and broken-gnome with just enough to get by with npc's.

Would it be worth the time to program that?  Possible it goes to how many words out of a conversation get scrambled/garbled.

/OOC "Dagnabbit, I only know basic gnome, can someone help me translate what Noblar Gnomeskie wants for the quest with bones?"

Love it!