Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

LOVED the Stream - increasing Pledge!!!

• 844 posts
    March 12, 2016 3:31 PM PST

Gonna have to disagree on that point, looks may be exciting right out of the box, but for a type of game like Pantheon, looks will fade rapidly if gameplay and functionality are not immersive and addicting.

But I guess to each their own. If you just want amazing graphics and are ready to ignore boring gameplay, there are plenty of options out there.

Additonally passing judgement on the graphics of a game in early-pre-alpha is kind of ridiculous and makes it sound like you probably do not have all the gaming experience you tout for yourself.

• 2130 posts
    March 12, 2016 3:42 PM PST

Nice strawman, interpreting "looks matter" as "nothing except looks matters".

• 1095 posts
    March 12, 2016 4:32 PM PST

Strykr619 said:

Yea but at this point the animations hell even the UI was pretty aweful. I have a crew of nearly 30 people who are pretty jaded and very crtical of  game development. DBG burned eqnext down and they are willing to give this a pass but honestly, they need to make sure the aesthetics are on point because there are plenty of MMORPG's being made that amazing graphically and in this day and age LOOKS matter. 

Alot of people will agree with me, the animations were fine for the state of the game. UI was fine as well.

LOOKS, as you put it in caps do not matter as much to the targeted audieces that Pantheon is going for. Which is why alot of people liked what we saw. Sure the graphics will improve.

We liked the group conversation, the group dymantics and the classes being able to be do their duties.

Judging the looks from a stream in pre-pre-apha is really laughable and makes anything else you say ignorable.

This post was edited by Aich at March 13, 2016 9:04 AM PDT
    • 1095 posts
    March 12, 2016 4:46 PM PST

zewtastic said:

Ok pledge tripled. Can't wait for the first Pantheon fan convention in LAS VEGAS!!!!

I already coined it, Fantheon. :)

I missed out on EQ's fanfaires being a teenager but this go around being older and having a nice job, count me in.

This post was edited by Aich at March 12, 2016 5:39 PM PST
    • 13 posts
    March 12, 2016 4:57 PM PST

I won't lie, my favorite part was the Orc mass over-pull early on.  I could almost hear the shout of "Orcs to tunnel".  The undead train at the end was great too.  That kind of random sudden death risk is missing from games these days.  I cannot wait for this to come out.

• 18 posts
    March 12, 2016 5:58 PM PST

I agree, looks do matter, but not (nearly) as much as gameplay and content.  As someone else said, there's plenty of options for great looking games out there already.  But there are very few games that are interesting and compelling and I'm hoping this will be one of them.  I'd trade looks for that any day (but if I can have both, yay!)

• 132 posts
    March 12, 2016 8:05 PM PST

It amazes me how people get a sneak peak into a pre alpha and yet do nothing but complain. 

If LOOKS are THAT important, SWTOR, WOW, GW2, WILDSTAR all have great looks and terrible game play, go play one of those and quit following a game that clearly isn't catering to what you want. 

Do we need little dragons on the edges of the hot bar to make it LOOK better?

The idea is that with 8-10 usuable abilities, you shouldnt be looking at the UI at all. You should be paying attention to what is going on in the fight. 

Of course, if you paid ANY attention at all, they said there were still using placeholders in parts of the UI at this point because its  PRE ALPHA. 

The 4K pics from the media section shows, the graphics on this game will be great. Take the 'crew of 30' and move on to another game that meets your requirements. 

• 801 posts
    March 12, 2016 8:45 PM PST

I rather enjoyed the demo brad, good one. Its been awhile since i first saw you in EQ :)

Keep up the good work all, sure soon enough it will be our turn to help.

• 1468 posts
    March 12, 2016 9:06 PM PST

Medjai said:

It amazes me how people get a sneak peak into a pre alpha and yet do nothing but complain. 

If LOOKS are THAT important, SWTOR, WOW, GW2, WILDSTAR all have great looks and terrible game play, go play one of those and quit following a game that clearly isn't catering to what you want. 

Do we need little dragons on the edges of the hot bar to make it LOOK better?

The idea is that with 8-10 usuable abilities, you shouldnt be looking at the UI at all. You should be paying attention to what is going on in the fight. 

Of course, if you paid ANY attention at all, they said there were still using placeholders in parts of the UI at this point because its  PRE ALPHA. 

The 4K pics from the media section shows, the graphics on this game will be great. Take the 'crew of 30' and move on to another game that meets your requirements. 

I agree.

I thought that the graphics looked pretty good for a pre-alpha. I was quite impressed. The UI could obviously do with a bit of work but that is what alpha and beta testing is for. To make sure that the game runs well and is relatively easy to control and operate. I think some people are overreacting. There is plenty of time for these things to be improved. We haven't even entered pre-alpha testing yet!

• 781 posts
    March 12, 2016 11:07 PM PST

Aenra said:

Looks may matter.. to some. The point of consideration is whether these are the players Pantheon aims for. What may be of import to your friends.. need not necessarily be a priority to VR as well.

Exactly.

• 1434 posts
    March 13, 2016 8:12 AM PDT

While most Pantheon fans seem to share the same priority for gameplay over graphics, I still believe graphics are very important (but not at all for my benefit - I'm like you don't consider it top priority). Its all about what has come to be expected. Sure, the biggest supporters and current fanbase don't care as much, but if we want to see faster development or even regular development after launch, the game must be appealing to potential Pantheon fans and those fans are used to HQ art & graphics and a tendancy towards polish.

If you think only the oldschool FFXI, EQ, and VG fans will be playing Pantheon, I believe you're sorely mistaken. At least you better hope not if we want to be playing P:RoTF for years to come. Just as our respective games, though similar, haven't been found anywhere else, so too will many new players be completely amazed by Pantheon. It will be a unique experience for them, and they will be hooked just like we were all those years ago... but its contingent on getting them in the door. Maybe this is the marketer in me, but I believe that will have everything to do with their visual impressions. People are often shallow creatures, and will have no idea that P:RoTF is exactly what they wanted unless it looks like something they do.

This post was edited by Dullahan at March 13, 2016 8:19 AM PDT
    • 103 posts
    March 13, 2016 4:47 PM PDT

Strykr619 said:

Yea but at this point the animations hell even the UI was pretty aweful. I have a crew of nearly 30 people who are pretty jaded and very crtical of  game development. DBG burned eqnext down and they are willing to give this a pass but honestly, they need to make sure the aesthetics are on point because there are plenty of MMORPG's being made that amazing graphically and in this day and age LOOKS matter. 

Yeah they were awful, but the point is its not even alpha yet. I agree that graphics need to be brought to par with more recent games and they likely will be doing passes on animations, sound, game models, you name it. At this point its safe to say what we saw in that video will be almost unrecognizable to what we should see at release or even beta. You 'crew' should probably wait until then before writing off the game. A lot of games look like this, or worse at this point in development.

• 287 posts
    March 13, 2016 5:29 PM PDT

I don't expect it to look perfect, although it looks great to me.  Content and immersion is what I am after.

• 671 posts
    March 13, 2016 7:28 PM PDT

Liav said:

Nice strawman, interpreting "looks matter" as "nothing except looks matters".

No, ultimately it depends on the FOCUS one places,  on "looks"...  during their statements, or arguments...  that matters, not wordsmithing.

• 1714 posts
    March 13, 2016 7:41 PM PDT

Strykr619 said:

Kayo said:

Strykr619 said:

I hope those combat animations. UI and over all graphic quality is PH because honestly this isn't 2006 anymore. ( I've been in enough alpha's and beta's in the last 18 years to know that you don't do wholesale engine upgrades at this point). 

I think youre confusing engine with models, animation and UI, all of which they'll be working on from now to release (I hope). This was pre-alpha people! Engine itself looks surprisingly good.

As for pledging... not yet. Not that it was a bad show, just need a little more. Maybe after some GDC articles some dungeon gameplay, and an alpha launch date?

People like you are why devs don't do things like this stream. Good grief dude, it's not even alpha. You say you're super experienced with game dev yet are hyper critical of things that will OBVIOUSLY not yet be in place. How many times did they say during the stream that the animations were placeholders? 

• 668 posts
    March 13, 2016 8:08 PM PDT

Strykr619 said:

Kayo said:

Strykr619 said:

I hope those combat animations. UI and over all graphic quality is PH because honestly this isn't 2006 anymore. ( I've been in enough alpha's and beta's in the last 18 years to know that you don't do wholesale engine upgrades at this point). 

I think youre confusing engine with models, animation and UI, all of which they'll be working on from now to release (I hope). This was pre-alpha people! Engine itself looks surprisingly good.

As for pledging... not yet. Not that it was a bad show, just need a little more. Maybe after some GDC articles some dungeon gameplay, and an alpha launch date?

There are going to be MANY new people joining the forums with their new criticisms.  Have you read the entire Pantheon website, including the Pantheon Difference?

Only reason I am asking, the core values surrounding Pantheon are not going to be all about graphics and superficial fluff.  Brad and team have been involved and have communicated since day one their goals and progress.  They are constantly in touch...  If the game is socially fun, and loaded with the Pantheon Difference core values, graphics will be a secondary thought.  The immersion will be there on sound effects and environmental effects alone.

So as comments come in about graphics and superficial fluff, it just tells me they are new and have not done their research, or do not have the Pantheon Difference as their core values to guide their faith.

• 211 posts
    March 13, 2016 9:19 PM PDT

Yeah, I am pretty shocked there was a little criticism, considering the game isn't even in alpha yet. I thought that it was WAY ahead of where games are at this stage in development. I'm looking forward to better animations, but graphically it was more than fine for me, I'm more interested in a fun game.

• 844 posts
    March 13, 2016 9:28 PM PDT

For anyone that actually knows the Unity engine. Amazing graphics are not an issue.

Too bad a few trolls get in and spew random things to hijack posts.

Bottom line, if you do not know anything about the Unity engine, use some google-foo and educate yourself.

Don't be a newb and make up lame **** about tech you know nothing about.

Here is an article from last year after Unity released version 5. Watch the video and make up your own mind about what is possible graphics-wise with Unity.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/gdc-2015-unity-5-versus-unreal-engine-4-and-what-it-means-for-you

This post was edited by zewtastic at March 13, 2016 9:35 PM PDT
    • 232 posts
    March 14, 2016 2:03 PM PDT

Just upgrade my pledge as well.

Bravo, VR!

• 671 posts
    March 14, 2016 9:20 PM PDT

Many new comers to MMORPG's.. or "these games" only ever see that arcadness of the game, the action and the particles and the animations and graphics, etc..  they do not see, or understand or the dice rolls taking place, or understand the underlaying aspect of what a MMORPG is. Most noobs don't even differentiate between a MMO & MMORPG. So they tend to latch onto what they SEE..  and not nec what they understand.

So, if someone is talking about graphics and animations, when the game is not even in Alpha state yet..  educate them that things happen in stages and phases.

• 52 posts
    March 15, 2016 11:48 AM PDT

I increased my pledge as well!  I am just itching for a game like this right now and theres nothing like it on the market.  

• 3016 posts
    March 15, 2016 12:05 PM PDT

Aich said:

Strykr619 said:

Alot of people will agree with me, the animations were fine for the state of the game. UI was fine as well.

LOOKS, as you put it in caps do not matter as much to the targeted audieces that Pantheon is going for. Which is why alot of people liked what we saw. Sure the graphics will improve.

We liked the group conversation, the group dymantics and the classes being able to be do their duties.

Judging the looks from a stream in pre-pre-apha is really laughable and makes anything else you say ignorable.

Gameplay wins over looks any day in my books.   If we were worried about looks, we would have never played the original EQ...hehe anyone got an old vid of Vanilla EQ ...those characters were pretty blocky looking,  didn't stop us from playing the heck out of the game...and here we are today,  wanting more.   Go Go Good Team Visionary Realms! :)

• 74 posts
    March 16, 2016 11:14 AM PDT

I just multi-dinged from Knight's to Advisor.

Edit - Bumped Pathfinder to Advisor.

This post was edited by spyderoptik at March 16, 2016 4:24 PM PDT
    • 793 posts
    March 16, 2016 11:30 AM PDT

I actually thought the graphics were pretty good aside from the placeholder character models, but then I was looking at it through the understanding of it's current phase, and was pleasently surprised at how much farther ahead it was than I had expected.

Maybe some people had expected a cinemagraphic scripted twitch, which personally I hate when games put out those cinemagraphic trailers and people get all up in arms over how great this/that game looks, whithout even realizing what they are watching.

This post was edited by Fulton at March 16, 2016 11:44 AM PDT
    • 613 posts
    March 16, 2016 11:39 AM PDT

I saw this and joined immediately. I jumped straight to Knight. I was impressed with the level of development so far. Keep it up guys!!!

Ox