Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Living requirements

• 644 posts
    March 6, 2016 6:45 PM PST

One more thing (original) EQ did well was the requirements for food and water.  Frankly, if you died, you probably deserved to.

Half the fun of travelling across a continent was preparing and plannign the journey, including packing food and water and making plans to reprovision along the way.

EQ dumbed it down and removed this requirement from the game, which was anothe rimmersion breaking decision - I hope this type of thing remains in Pantheon.

• 1778 posts
    March 7, 2016 8:59 AM PST
    Ill just say I prefer positive re-enforement. So food should be wanted and sought after but not something you must have at all times. Though having some special situations where a consumable is necessary could fit with atmospheres like needing water for a desert.
    • 1468 posts
    March 7, 2016 9:50 AM PST

I don't mind having living requirements but it becomes a problem if you are playing a race that is KoS everywhere and you are far from a friendly outpost and run out of food. You either have to buy food and drink off other players (if they'll even sell it to you) or you have to make sure you always have half your available inventory space filled up with food and drink. If they do do this then at least make it so you can have huge stacks of food and drink so it doesn't take up loads of space in your bags. Something like you can stack 100 items or maybe even 250 items. That way you can carry a lot of food and drink without having to sacrifice all of your inventory space to do it.

• 1714 posts
    March 7, 2016 10:54 AM PST

I fell asleep at the keyboard in the water by NRO/Oasis and came back the next morning and I couldn't move. I was freaking out, petitioning WHAT IS GOING ON!?!? I was out of food and water. 

• 157 posts
    March 7, 2016 11:06 AM PST

Summon food and water ... every time I logged in I summoned a bazillion stacks and passed them out.  I actually liked the idea of consumables ... yes, even when I played a class that couldn't just summon them.

• 261 posts
    March 7, 2016 12:09 PM PST

You could also have them affected by the environment. Need more water in hot desert/volcanic areas. Need more food in a cold climate to keep you warm. I would think they have already though of this by now in the grand scheme of their design if they are going to implement it.

• 157 posts
    March 7, 2016 12:20 PM PST

Boulda said:

You could also have them affected by the environment. Need more water in hot desert/volcanic areas. Need more food in a cold climate to keep you warm. I would think they have already though of this by now in the grand scheme of their design if they are going to implement it.

I think that was covered when the big guy blogged about how the environment will affect characters.  Sry.  Can't find a link to it atm.

• 194 posts
    March 7, 2016 12:26 PM PST

xtnpd said:

I think that was covered when the big guy blogged about how the environment will affect characters.  Sry.  Can't find a link to it atm.

Brad talked about it here.

• 383 posts
    March 7, 2016 12:30 PM PST

Food, water, and money weight :) I'm all for it.

• 1468 posts
    March 7, 2016 12:56 PM PST

Niien said:

To be honest I could do without money having weight.

• 383 posts
    March 7, 2016 1:48 PM PST

Cromulent said:

Niien said:

What about weapons and armor and other loot?

• 383 posts
    March 7, 2016 1:48 PM PST

Niien said:

Cromulent said:

Niien said:

What about weapons, armor and other loot?

• 1468 posts
    March 7, 2016 3:00 PM PST

Niien said:

Cromulent said:

Niien said:

Now you're just being silly. Money weight doesn't add anything apart from getting stuck unable to move because you sold something and forgot to add up the exact total weight of the money that you sold the item for.

Making the game difficult because it adds fun to the game is great. Making things difficult because it is a pain in the **** is just boring and annoying.

I really don't see money weight adding any enjoyment to the game. It is just annoying.

• 2130 posts
    March 7, 2016 3:17 PM PST

Coin weight is lame. One of the best changes they ever made to EQ was removing it.

• 644 posts
    March 7, 2016 5:06 PM PST

If folks want immersion and want to feel like the world is "real" why complain about coin weight?  Do you carry $10,000 in nickels in your pockets in real life ?!?

• 2419 posts
    March 7, 2016 5:27 PM PST

Liav said:

Coin weight is lame. One of the best changes they ever made to EQ was removing it.

Oh the fun times of going to Gfay and handing 6000 copper pieces to an Orc Pawn or some random Bat and watching that lvl 1 player become rooted to the spot after killing it. 

• 383 posts
    March 7, 2016 5:54 PM PST

Cromulent said:

Niien said:

Cromulent said:

Niien said:

Now you're just being silly. Money weight doesn't add anything apart from getting stuck unable to move because you sold something and forgot to add up the exact total weight of the money that you sold the item for.

Making the game difficult because it adds fun to the game is great. Making things difficult because it is a pain in the **** is just boring and annoying.

I really don't see money weight adding any enjoyment to the game. It is just annoying.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be silly Cromulent. I was just curious what you thought about for weight for those other items or if it was only money that you didn't like weight for.

I personally like it as it does add some depth to the game and a bit more realism. I'd also love it if they would allow me to drop items on the ground again. Though those are all far fetched dreams I suppose.

• 1714 posts
    March 7, 2016 5:55 PM PST

Coin weight extra sucked as a monk. 

• 383 posts
    March 7, 2016 5:56 PM PST

Without having to worry about things like food, water, and coin weight I feel as though we are dumbing down the game for no reason other than people find it annoying. 

I'm guessing we will be able to sprint and jump forever as well due to waiting for stam to regen is annoying. Or needing torches or spells for light. Or needing air for swimming under water.

This post was edited by Niien at March 7, 2016 5:57 PM PST
    • 1714 posts
    March 7, 2016 6:10 PM PST

Niien said:

Without having to worry about things like food, water, and coin weight I feel as though we are dumbing down the game for no reason other than people find it annoying. 

I'm guessing we will be able to sprint and jump forever as well due to waiting for stam to regen is annoying. Or needing torches or spells for light. Or needing air for swimming under water.

There's a logical fallacy in there somewhere, but don't worry, I think most of us are with you, as are the devs. 

• 13 posts
    March 7, 2016 6:22 PM PST

Niien said:

Got a laugh out of this as it brought back some fond memories... Yes I'm all for it.

• 1778 posts
    March 7, 2016 10:54 PM PST
    If the game ends up needing to have food and water to live and money has weight just to add depth, the devs are doing something wrong. I definitely want depth but I was thinking the devs will be designing such an interesting game world with interesting and challenging experiences they wouldnt need to go out of thier way to create depth in areas I frankly find annoying and needless. Besides we dont know what all new systems will be like in the game and it could be plenty of depth added. It is an MMO and it should have a good balance of immersion vs practacality. Otherwise where does it end. Dont make it an unnecessary burden. What if a big green confirmation button appeared in the middle of the screen every time you did ANY action in the game and needed to be pressed to proceed. Nobody would like that. Or how about something in line with immersion? Mandatory urination of character every 1 hour and mandatory BM every 6 hours. Better hope you have enough weight limit left for some TP. I realize many of you love immersion and Im not trying to step on any toes here. But you have to be practical and there is a difference between immersion and realism. We do want immersion as long as its not in spite of sound game design.
    • 93 posts
    March 7, 2016 11:18 PM PST

I liked how food and water were implemented in EverQuest, and how some foods filled you up more than others. For example, a leg of lamb would stick with you longer than a few crackers would. Perhaps food/drink could have their own slots, and stack so they don't take up bag space? I love the idea of having to stock up on groceries and supplies before heading out for an adventure! 

This post was edited by halflingwarrior at March 7, 2016 11:19 PM PST
    • 2130 posts
    March 7, 2016 11:41 PM PST

I think food/water can be neat if it's not boring. Player crafted with unique effects sounds good, not just "eat this generic stuff to not die or something".

• 383 posts
    March 8, 2016 12:46 AM PST

Liav said:

I think food/water can be neat if it's not boring. Player crafted with unique effects sounds good, not just "eat this generic stuff to not die or something".

I feel as though keeping it simple would be best and personally thinkg effects would just make it gimmicky. I believe it gives a little more immersion and helps with the sense that when we're about to embark on a journey to a new place it feels like we are preparing for that journey by buying supplies.

In addition I think it would be neat if they carried it a little further and you were able to buy tents/fire making materials so that on those long journeys you could camp at night to help avoid the things that go bump in the night lol. I could also see giving a well rested travel speed bonus from it or some other buff from a good night's rest.