Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Decline of the social aspect of the MMO

• 2130 posts
    February 20, 2016 3:19 PM PST

Pyye said:

Liav, a natural debater!!

I like all forms of chat channel options.  To me it comes down to user friendly options like being able to easily whisper someone by clicking their name in chat.  I like chat that is super efficient and user friendly.  Another big one is being able to set-up group or guild windows seperately and filter fight spam or general chat channels as needed.. I am always suprised at games that don't do this well.

Yes, 100% yes. Chat options being anything less than robust in 2016 is unacceptable. That means easy item links, timestamps, channel management, text colors, text sizes, interactive player names in the chat window (ignore, report, flag for spam, send tell, invite to group, /who, etc.).

Definitely not alone in this. I've always hated games with weak chat window management.

Pyye said:

I don't know if I am alone on this or not, but I noticed that when ever I do any kind of voice chat, I do not get into the game as much.  I think it brings in too much reality into the game, which means I think I love escaping into the game world.  So if I cannot truly escape what's real around me, it just does not have the same effect.  I think chat still allows your mind to interpret situations differently, where your imagination can lead you into many different scenarios.  Another good example of what I mean is if you are really into a game situation, cautious, dangerous, the music grips your every nerve...  the the damn doorbell rings and the dogs start barking. /sigh

If and when I PvP I prefer voice chat, but this is often a game that I do not sink into anyway.

Yeah, I don't like using VoIP outside of PvP, raiding, or extremely challenging (hardmode) group content. I guess also just talking to guild mates late at night or something it's also cool, but just grouping and generally playing I don't like VoIP as much. I'd rather listen to music or hear the in-game sounds.

• 383 posts
    February 20, 2016 6:17 PM PST

Dullahan said:

I think some of the negative effects of guilds comes down to a lack of things to do in the game. Think about it, in most MMOs today, you have a very limited amount of content to grind each day. You might grab guildies for dailys, for 1 of a few dungeon runs, or for a raid. In EQ, you had dozens of items and major quests to work on, and so often you couldn't find a full group of guildmates to assist you with every random thing. You also had a longer leveling process, so getting a full group of guild mates in your level range and on at the same time was problematic. I remember, despite being a part of major guilds for my entire duration of EQ (on 2 different servers), playing with non-guilded /friends and randoms on a regular basis was the norm.

Sorry to pick a piece of your post out Dullahan, however I wanted to touch on this subject specifically.

I fully agree that it has a lot to do with a lack of things to do. However I think the slower planned leveling curve will stop a lot of this for awhile. Though the content of any game seems to only last a few months at most for the top raiding guilds, sometimes it doesn't last that long. So we need other things end game to do besides the same dungeons that are on "hard mode" etc.

If it were up to me I would make the game less about end game and more about the adventure getting there. What I mean by that is that I would make the game extremely long/slow in terms of leveling, however I would give the players many places to explore and adventure to in the different level ranges. I would make sure that the places I did make had mobs they could start hunting at lower levels, however as they gained strength or friends they could venture further in. This would help to mix the lower and higher level players and help build more community due to the interaction with more players. This would be in direct contrast to the games of today where the only time a higher level sees a lower level person is when they are power leveling them, killing lower levels, or in a bigger city. This would make the middle game very slow, however not boring due to the options presented.

I believe a super slow leveling pace will help curb the "rush to the end" attitude due to the fact that the end isn't anywhere close in sight. Though with the super slow leveling curve there would have to be a lot of content to explore and places to discover.

I've played games that getting to the max level was near impossible due to experience loss and the sheer amount of XP needed for those levels. However people leveled in their free time and the rest of the time they were adventuring, pvping, or raiding. It took literally years and years to get to the higher levels, however you could do a lot of the raiding/questing at lower levels. When you saw a higher level you knew they had been playing for awhile, however being a lower level didn't mean you were useless or couldn't level with them. Due to the fact that it wasn't a cut and dry system of 5 levels over = unkillable/unhitting enemies. They enemies/mobs just gave higher levels less experience. Also the higher levels weren't some huge jump in power where a level 10-20 would have 3k hp and 40-50 would have 100k hp. Again it was about the grouping with friends you made during your adventure to where you are now.

People didn't have the mindset that they were rushing to the max level so they could start the game like they do these days. They logged in to play the game and socialize with their friends. Now a days some people level from 1-max without even talking to other people. If there is a group quest boss someone might spam invite someone, kill the target, and then disband all while not talking at all. It's a single player game, I don't care what they claim it to be.

I would argue that if we either made the last few levels extremely slow or made them progressively slower that people will always have something to work on for years while they aren't raiding etc. We will still be able to raid and the last 5-10 levels wouldn't be such a huge jump in power that it would be needed, however it would give people things to do. This would be very similar to what alternate advancement points did for some max levels, however I would propose a system with less rewards honestly. I know it sounds dumb, though if we make it to where leveling isn't such a huge deal then people will log in to play instead of getting to the end of the game. This is supposed to be a living breathing world and there shouldn't be an "end" to it in my opinion.

OOC: I have a lot of things to do today, so I put this post together in a rush. I hope it makes sense and my grammar didn't get too messed up.

• 1468 posts
    February 20, 2016 9:56 PM PST

Niien said:

Dullahan said:

I think some of the negative effects of guilds comes down to a lack of things to do in the game. Think about it, in most MMOs today, you have a very limited amount of content to grind each day. You might grab guildies for dailys, for 1 of a few dungeon runs, or for a raid. In EQ, you had dozens of items and major quests to work on, and so often you couldn't find a full group of guildmates to assist you with every random thing. You also had a longer leveling process, so getting a full group of guild mates in your level range and on at the same time was problematic. I remember, despite being a part of major guilds for my entire duration of EQ (on 2 different servers), playing with non-guilded /friends and randoms on a regular basis was the norm.

Sorry to pick a piece of your post out Dullahan, however I wanted to touch on this subject specifically.

I fully agree that it has a lot to do with a lack of things to do. However I think the slower planned leveling curve will stop a lot of this for awhile. Though the content of any game seems to only last a few months at most for the top raiding guilds, sometimes it doesn't last that long. So we need other things end game to do besides the same dungeons that are on "hard mode" etc.

If it were up to me I would make the game less about end game and more about the adventure getting there. What I mean by that is that I would make the game extremely long/slow in terms of leveling, however I would give the players many places to explore and adventure to in the different level ranges. I would make sure that the places I did make had mobs they could start hunting at lower levels, however as they gained strength or friends they could venture further in. This would help to mix the lower and higher level players and help build more community due to the interaction with more players. This would be in direct contrast to the games of today where the only time a higher level sees a lower level person is when they are power leveling them, killing lower levels, or in a bigger city. This would make the middle game very slow, however not boring due to the options presented.

I believe a super slow leveling pace will help curb the "rush to the end" attitude due to the fact that the end isn't anywhere close in sight. Though with the super slow leveling curve there would have to be a lot of content to explore and places to discover.

I've played games that getting to the max level was near impossible due to experience loss and the sheer amount of XP needed for those levels. However people leveled in their free time and the rest of the time they were adventuring, pvping, or raiding. It took literally years and years to get to the higher levels, however you could do a lot of the raiding/questing at lower levels. When you saw a higher level you knew they had been playing for awhile, however being a lower level didn't mean you were useless or couldn't level with them. Due to the fact that it wasn't a cut and dry system of 5 levels over = unkillable/unhitting enemies. They enemies/mobs just gave higher levels less experience. Also the higher levels weren't some huge jump in power where a level 10-20 would have 3k hp and 40-50 would have 100k hp. Again it was about the grouping with friends you made during your adventure to where you are now.

People didn't have the mindset that they were rushing to the max level so they could start the game like they do these days. They logged in to play the game and socialize with their friends. Now a days some people level from 1-max without even talking to other people. If there is a group quest boss someone might spam invite someone, kill the target, and then disband all while not talking at all. It's a single player game, I don't care what they claim it to be.

I would argue that if we either made the last few levels extremely slow or made them progressively slower that people will always have something to work on for years while they aren't raiding etc. We will still be able to raid and the last 5-10 levels wouldn't be such a huge jump in power that it would be needed, however it would give people things to do. This would be very similar to what alternate advancement points did for some max levels, however I would propose a system with less rewards honestly. I know it sounds dumb, though if we make it to where leveling isn't such a huge deal then people will log in to play instead of getting to the end of the game. This is supposed to be a living breathing world and there shouldn't be an "end" to it in my opinion.

OOC: I have a lot of things to do today, so I put this post together in a rush. I hope it makes sense and my grammar didn't get too messed up.

I like the idea of slow leveling but you need to be careful. People need a reason to do things. In real life people are motivated to improve themselves because they can get a better job and therefore earn more money. The same is true in-game. Players are motivated to keep playing (and therefore keep paying a subscription) by having options available to them such as getting better loot, leveling up or being able to visit new areas. So it is a bit of a balancing act. You want content to be meaningful so that people don't just blast through it all in a few days but at the same time you want to reward players for putting the time in. Hopefully these kinds of things will be resolved once the game goes into testing mode and people can give actual feedback on what it feels like to play.

• 383 posts
    February 22, 2016 6:58 PM PST

Cromulent said:

I like the idea of slow leveling but you need to be careful. People need a reason to do things. In real life people are motivated to improve themselves because they can get a better job and therefore earn more money. The same is true in-game. Players are motivated to keep playing (and therefore keep paying a subscription) by having options available to them such as getting better loot, leveling up or being able to visit new areas. So it is a bit of a balancing act. You want content to be meaningful so that people don't just blast through it all in a few days but at the same time you want to reward players for putting the time in. Hopefully these kinds of things will be resolved once the game goes into testing mode and people can give actual feedback on what it feels like to play.

Agreed, and I don't envy the people having to make these decisions. I just know from personal experience that the slower the better for me. It feels more like a reward when I level or attain a piece of gear I was after for a long time. 

• 671 posts
    February 24, 2016 11:31 PM PST

Niien said:

Dullahan said:

You and I have the same look on things.

I truly do believe that Pantheon needs a have a RPG leveling curve, not an arcade style one.  Starting from lvl one...  "Ding!" should mean something substantial, but not the reason for playing. As a "level" is just another type of achievement, in that your Character has spent enough time in the world and gained enough general knowledge and experience of said class (warrior?)..  and even though they have gained this knowledge in increments over time, it is awarded to your Charater over scale.

I myself would like to see lvl 2 ~ 200 pre-baked into the game code, & base some exponential-like curve off that.