Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Real life names

• 9115 posts
    February 11, 2016 7:51 PM PST

Kalgore said:

You have a fantasy game being played by Fantasy nuts of course there will be thousands of Drizzt, Jarlaxle etc variations. That is no big deal stupid names like Tits mcbigtits are stupid.

PS DIBS on Kalgore 

I just created an alt named Kalgore, sorry man lol ;)

• 563 posts
    February 11, 2016 8:09 PM PST

Zarriya said:

I am all for using RL names if a person would like to.  I feel it makes the avatar feel more like an extension of yourself.  I personally like to make my character look like a fantasy version of myself and even used my own RL nickname before.  When some people like to play they want to play a character that is unlike themselves. They may RP that their avatar is evil, loquacios or quiet or even a different gender then they choose a name that is different from themselves and fits that character - even that could be a RL name.

I too try to make a fantasy version of myself :P I just hope pantheon has some decent curly hair, It's so rare to be able to get curly hair (especially long) in games for some reason :S I usually name my character my name or my Cats name lol xD (if I can use a surname aswell, I hope I can, that is always pure fantasy)

Rachael

• 1095 posts
    February 12, 2016 7:09 PM PST

Deadlyfury said:

BigTitsMcGee. 

Well, I find this example funny but, I do agree with you. 

Just look at how DBS is going, strongest guy over Goku has huge nipples..just saying.

• 1714 posts
    February 12, 2016 10:46 PM PST

My real name is BigTitsMcKalgore. 

• 1714 posts
    February 12, 2016 10:46 PM PST

Rachael said:

Zarriya said:

I am all for using RL names if a person would like to.  I feel it makes the avatar feel more like an extension of yourself.  I personally like to make my character look like a fantasy version of myself and even used my own RL nickname before.  When some people like to play they want to play a character that is unlike themselves. They may RP that their avatar is evil, loquacios or quiet or even a different gender then they choose a name that is different from themselves and fits that character - even that could be a RL name.

I too try to make a fantasy version of myself :P I just hope pantheon has some decent curly hair, It's so rare to be able to get curly hair (especially long) in games for some reason :S I usually name my character my name or my Cats name lol xD (if I can use a surname aswell, I hope I can, that is always pure fantasy)

Rachael

Guess my cat's name. 

• 1095 posts
    February 15, 2016 7:58 PM PST

Krixus said:

lol

• 1714 posts
    February 15, 2016 9:12 PM PST

Aich said:

Krixus said:

lol

It's Irish. 

• 79 posts
    February 16, 2016 7:05 AM PST

I like seeing some humerous names; sometimes its a reflection of the player's personality. I wouldn't mind a Gruntz Denfarts but I can appreciate a naming policy that doesn't permit foul language or whatever. It's a game after all. If someone is naming their character BigTitsMagee and that bothers you, you probably aren't friending/grouping with them anyway.

• 610 posts
    February 16, 2016 7:17 AM PST

internalprime8 said:

I like seeing some humerous names; sometimes its a reflection of the player's personality. I wouldn't mind a Gruntz Denfarts but I can appreciate a naming policy that doesn't permit foul language or whatever. It's a game after all. If someone is naming their character BigTitsMagee and that bothers you, you probably aren't friending/grouping with them anyway.

This is true and sad at the same time...its the whole first impression thing. They could be the best player and coolest person but the first impression from the name is just off putting.

Sure I personally have missed the chance to make some great friends just because I wouldnt group with a person because of the name

Now dont get me wrong...I dont mind a silly or frivililous name, just not a vulgar or insulting name.

• 112 posts
    February 20, 2016 7:14 AM PST

I think I am in the same boat as a few others, I am not overly bothered by stupid names, not to a point of wanting them changed/removed.  I simply won't be inviting them to a group unless there's no option.  And sorry, but if you choose to name yourself lilllilillliiiililil, I hope you realize you will miss out on alot of group invites and whispers due to the name being a pita.

At the same time I'm all for clever names, I think it can make a great first impression and ice breaker.  Fuzze Munke was typically met with an introduction of "I would have went with the surname ..." 

I am still sore over someone who complained about my rogue Thedorf Withabigpoker to a GM in EQ.

GM contacts me... being a noob about it I logged off to avoid losing my name >.> 

. . . but then logged onto my alt, thinking he couldn't follow, which just brought his attention to all my characters =/ 

Klobberin Dapretybirdy (troll), Fuzze Munke (monk), and Ohnizzer Rezyermomalastnight (cleric obv) lost surnames, Thedorf completely changed.

Joke was on him though, Ohnizzer (Rezzinho) wasn't caught! :D

What?  I was younger then =/

This post was edited by Lokkan at February 20, 2016 7:14 AM PST
    • 563 posts
    February 20, 2016 10:45 AM PST

Krixus said:

Guess my cat's name. 

I'm sorry if I missed by a mile, I've always been bad at getting jokes or the meaning of what people say (don't ask why I just suck at it lol), but is it Rachael?!? I'd say strange name for a cat, but I'm sure anybody thats heard a pet called their name thinks it sounds weird lol. My cats name is Amber and I know there are people named that so it must sound just as weird to them xD let me know I'm super interested now! :P

Rachael

This post was edited by Rachael at February 20, 2016 10:46 AM PST
    • 52 posts
    February 20, 2016 11:33 AM PST

Terrible names are a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I actually like to collect screenshots of all the terrible names i've seen over the years. It's pretty vast as you can imagine. Some are pretty clever and i give credit where credit is due, but most just have me shaking my head. "Yoloswagyolo" and "Squall DiCaprio" come to mind immediately. 

As bad as some of those names are, they don't even come close to the ones in games that allow special characters and numbers. I draw the line there and will not play a game that allows that nonsense.

• 1468 posts
    February 20, 2016 11:40 AM PST

I'm sure many people think my name is a bit stupid but I've been using it on the internet since 2003 so it really is like my real name when it comes to the internet. People know me from different games just becasue of my name. I do have some alternative names if I need to use them though so I won't be too annoyed if I can't get it. I'd just like to have it for completeness sake.

• 383 posts
    February 22, 2016 8:41 PM PST

I could only dream of a strict naming policy that didn't allow the Mctits. I don't play with people like that, I would rather see the group disband then have them fill the empty spot. I guess it's just my train of thought that tells me that people who make names like that are just here to be silly and I want to keep it a little more fantasy.

It would be an awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome stretch goal if we could have a /ignore that would not show the character of the ignored person at all. Just let me know what it would cost and I will send over the cash. :)