Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Real life names

• 106 posts
    February 11, 2016 1:15 AM PST

Now I did a search and all I found was a thread against silly names like BigTitsMcGee. 

I'm wondering how you all feel about REAL names, like John, Jake, Alex, Chris etc...

I'm all for it, would be cool of people in guild chat called me Alex lol as it is my real name

Discuss!

• 96 posts
    February 11, 2016 1:19 AM PST

To each their own I suppose. I would never use my own name or anything remotely considered "real life". I like to play into the whole fantasy of it all. I'm actually ocd about my characters names and they are given a lot of thought before creation.

• 106 posts
    February 11, 2016 1:22 AM PST

Yeah I never thought if it being immersion breaking, my would you think it was if you saw someone with a non RPG name even if it was a Real Life one?

• 96 posts
    February 11, 2016 1:27 AM PST

Another player's name has never affected me nor have I judged them on their name. It's purely their choice and I don't view that person by his/her decision. I've had some friends in games with odd names, onces I would never pick for myself. I play how I want to play and so do they.

I think the problem lies with surnames though. If surnames are a thing, people probably won't be allowed to use a celebrity's name etc.

• 610 posts
    February 11, 2016 5:44 AM PST

If you call your toon John I would have no problem with that...even with surnames a John Smith wouldnt bother me...that is a name (fantasy or not)

Titty McBigtits isnt a name...its an immature child trying to be funny (and Failing)

I hope that VRI has a naming policy and I truly hope they enforce it, just dont make it too draconic

• 130 posts
    February 11, 2016 5:49 AM PST

I'm totally not for real life names however you won't find me protesting if it does happen either.

I've got dibs on Titty McBigtits though -- thanks, Sevens.  ;-)

J/K

• 110 posts
    February 11, 2016 6:04 AM PST

No problem with real names, BIG problem with names like BigTitsMagee though. Really hope the CSR and GM staff crack hard on that like they did in early EQ.

Garmr

• 132 posts
    February 11, 2016 10:04 AM PST

I like my Character names. Each name I choose has a meaning or history. To each their own. I don't want to use my real name. 

I can add my real name to Vent / teamspeak etc., to let people know my real name while in a raid or whatever. 

Example: I could look at Vent list and see: Aradune / Brad  as user name.  

• 208 posts
    February 11, 2016 10:08 AM PST

FYI he means real world names, not your actual real names.

• 781 posts
    February 11, 2016 10:08 AM PST

Sevens said:

If you call your toon John I would have no problem with that...even with surnames a John Smith wouldnt bother me...that is a name (fantasy or not)

Titty McBigtits isnt a name...its an immature child trying to be funny (and Failing)

I hope that VRI has a naming policy and I truly hope they enforce it, just dont make it too draconic

/agree

• 308 posts
    February 11, 2016 10:21 AM PST

The outlandishly silly variations of aragorn, drizzt, etc. bother me more than using real life names.

• 428 posts
    February 11, 2016 10:26 AM PST

You have a fantasy game being played by Fantasy nuts of course there will be thousands of Drizzt, Jarlaxle etc variations. That is no big deal stupid names like Tits mcbigtits are stupid.

PS DIBS on Kalgore 

• 1714 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:09 AM PST

Dibs on Arrraggornnn

• 106 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:19 AM PST
    I have no issue with real names. I'm not a fan of overly complicated names.
    • 610 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:29 AM PST

Reht said:

The outlandishly silly variations of aragorn, drizzt, etc. bother me more than using real life names.

My Dark Myr ranger is going to be named Arrragorn Drizzzzt of clan McBigtits

• 366 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:58 AM PST

I am all for using RL names if a person would like to.  I feel it makes the avatar feel more like an extension of yourself.  I personally like to make my character look like a fantasy version of myself and even used my own RL nickname before.  When some people like to play they want to play a character that is unlike themselves. They may RP that their avatar is evil, loquacios or quiet or even a different gender then they choose a name that is different from themselves and fits that character - even that could be a RL name.

• 793 posts
    February 11, 2016 12:17 PM PST

I don't mind real names, I don't even mind midly silly names.  I had an EQ druid alt named Singla Deeda.

I don't care for the obvious outlandish naming attempts, such as Ididyourmom, Thishoforsale, etc.

• 308 posts
    February 11, 2016 12:32 PM PST

Kalgore said:

You have a fantasy game being played by Fantasy nuts of course there will be thousands of Drizzt, Jarlaxle etc variations. That is no big deal stupid names like Tits mcbigtits are stupid.

PS DIBS on Kalgore 

I never said there wouldn't be, i just said what annoys me personally - It's all subjective since it's opinion........

• 1778 posts
    February 11, 2016 2:58 PM PST
    No issue here. I dont really care what names people use. Though if they did have some really bad names Id likely avoid playing with them. XXXSUPERSAIJINOMEGAXXXYOLOGUY. Actually saw a stupid name very similar to this once in a Korean MMO.
    • 63 posts
    February 11, 2016 3:32 PM PST

I don't mind clever name/surname combos; I had a buddy in EQ with an ugly Ogre warrior named "Treetrunk Growinfungus" and always got a kick out of it. It got past the unique name filter, so it was good enough for me.

I too hate names that modify (often poorly) famous fantasy characters. Boo says me.

Talv

• 311 posts
    February 11, 2016 4:03 PM PST

Always loved my fellow players name in Trinity he was a Dwarf warrior named Gruntz denfarts. Always made me smile and laugh a lil. I dont care what people name their characters as long as it isnt too vulgar but its up to VRI.

• 37 posts
    February 11, 2016 5:10 PM PST

Amsai said: No issue here. I dont really care what names people use. Though if they did have some really bad names Id likely avoid playing with them. XXXSUPERSAIJINOMEGAXXXYOLOGUY. Actually saw a stupid name very similar to this once in a Korean MMO.

Also depending on what characters are allowed...

...***Legolas***...

xxXXJoeXXxx

E======D~~~

• 2419 posts
    February 11, 2016 5:16 PM PST

Dibs on iiiIiiIiiIiiiiiIiiiIIIIiiiiiIii

• 999 posts
    February 11, 2016 5:53 PM PST

Real life names aren't a deal breaker for me either way even though I wouldn't use them.  But, I prefer to see more role-playish names based off the lore/race.  Like Oggbok for an Ogre versus Ismash Realgud.  And /agree with Reht's point on the Drizzzzzt's of the world.

• 308 posts
    February 11, 2016 7:09 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Dibs on iiiIiiIiiIiiiiiIiiiIIIIiiiiiIii

My last guild's leader had a character named Lililililililililililil (i think that's close to the right number of I's and L's).  Was painful to type!