Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Bonus/Double Experience events

• 9115 posts
    November 16, 2015 4:11 AM PST

Bonus/Double Experience events - are you a fan or do you think it hurts the game overall? :)

• 16 posts
    November 16, 2015 4:31 AM PST

More of a gimmick for when the population becomes extremely top heavy, or extremely low. I'd rather not see them unless it's the only way to get enough people logged in to enjoy the game. 

• 9115 posts
    November 16, 2015 4:36 AM PST

Sniggz said:

More of a gimmick for when the population becomes extremely top heavy, or extremely low. I'd rather not see them unless it's the only way to get enough people logged in to enjoy the game. 

Yeah, I am pretty much of the same mindset Sniggz. They are great for leveling your 4th-12th alt when you have "been there and done it all before" but for a first/second/third playthrough, I believe it's important to experience the leveling process yourself as intended and interact with the community for help when needed without the experience boost as it promotes efficient grinding and power leveling to bypass content.

• 44 posts
    November 16, 2015 4:39 AM PST

not a fan of such festivities

• 57 posts
    November 16, 2015 4:45 AM PST

Yep, I really appreciate them on alts going through content I've been through before (maybe events like this could be made to see what has been done before and only be effective there?), but otherwise I think it's encouraging a "screw the content" mentality.

• 86 posts
    November 16, 2015 5:18 AM PST
    I agree with all of the above. It does encourage a forget the content environment. At the same time, it may become somewhat necessary as the game progresses to help newer players who may just be starting out. Does that mean I want suh an event within a year of the game's release? No. Will I support them later? Maybe.
    • 91 posts
    November 16, 2015 5:22 AM PST

It should happen, but ultra rarely... Like once or twice a year, on special events/days. I currently playing EQ2, and those BonusEXP weeks/weekends seams to repeat every 14-30 days or something... Maybe another solution could be "Hot Zones", like we had in EQ back than. In both cases, it should be rare... not common...

• 9115 posts
    November 16, 2015 5:28 AM PST

Gelax said:

not a fan of such festivities

Me either Gelax ;)

• 9115 posts
    November 16, 2015 5:30 AM PST

KCRiley said:

Yep, I really appreciate them on alts going through content I've been through before (maybe events like this could be made to see what has been done before and only be effective there?), but otherwise I think it's encouraging a "screw the content" mentality.

That is true and I don't mind a small boost on my alts, as I have already completed the content at least once prior to this play through but if it's a holiday event, it is server wide double experience for every player and can promote content skipping and power leveling, both of which affect the community as a whole and promote the mentality to rush to end game, where they will sit twiddling their thumbs with nothing much to do! ;) 

• 9115 posts
    November 16, 2015 5:33 AM PST

shihiro said: I agree with all of the above. It does encourage a forget the content environment. At the same time, it may become somewhat necessary as the game progresses to help newer players who may just be starting out. Does that mean I want suh an event within a year of the game's release? No. Will I support them later? Maybe.

Yeah, we have many options available to help new starters a year or so after the game has launched and when they may struggle to find low-level groups, we can have systems like mentoring, guides programs, special incentives for Veteran players to help the new players etc. all without promoting content skipping via experience boosts :)

• 9115 posts
    November 16, 2015 5:35 AM PST

lyrina said:

It should happen, but ultra rarely... Like once or twice a year, on special events/days. I currently playing EQ2, and those BonusEXP weeks/weekends seams to repeat every 14-30 days or something... Maybe another solution could be "Hot Zones", like we had in EQ back than. In both cases, it should be rare... not common...

Yeah, I tend to agree and maybe not in the first year of development, so people have time to enjoy the game and all of its content first? But for alts I don't mind a small boost once we have already done that content :)

• 366 posts
    November 16, 2015 6:10 AM PST

Kilsin said:

KCRiley said:

That is true and I don't mind a small boost on my alts, as I have already completed the content at least once prior to this play through but if it's a holiday event, it is server wide double experience for every player and can promote content skipping and power leveling, both of which affect the community as a whole and promote the mentality to rush to end game, where they will sit twiddling their thumbs with nothing much to do! ;) 

I agree. It puts emphasis on the rush to level and this is not the type of game for that.

This post was edited by Zarriya at November 16, 2015 6:12 AM PST
    • 724 posts
    November 16, 2015 6:15 AM PST

You can do such an event on the 10th anniversary of Pantheon. :)

• 120 posts
    November 16, 2015 6:21 AM PST
    I'm not absolutely apposed to bonus XP, I do think it has to be used wisely though.

That said, no matter how you slice it, the race to max level will start on day one. We all want to believe we aren't going to play that way, but we will ang we will skip areas for better xp (whether real or perceived )somewhere else.
    • 366 posts
    November 16, 2015 6:29 AM PST

Sarim said:

/like button   :)

• 9115 posts
    November 16, 2015 7:15 AM PST

Zarriya said:

Kilsin said:

KCRiley said:

I agree. It puts emphasis on the rush to level and this is not the type of game for that.

Exactly! :)

• 9115 posts
    November 16, 2015 7:15 AM PST

Sarim said:

Haha! Now that I can deal with Sarim :)

• 9115 posts
    November 16, 2015 7:20 AM PST

Castwell said: I'm not absolutely apposed to bonus XP, I do think it has to be used wisely though. That said, no matter how you slice it, the race to max level will start on day one. We all want to believe we aren't going to play that way, but we will ang we will skip areas for better xp (whether real or perceived )somewhere else.

Yeah, it's human nature to want to race and compete with others, plus see what the next new ability or spell is etc. but aiding people to get to the top quicker just promotes skipping content in my opinion, if the exp boost wasn't available, then the most efficient way to level would be grouping up and helping each other, which would be a much healthier way for the game to progress than just power leveling on mobs with exp boosts ;)

After the game has been out for a year or more then that is fine, I don't mind rest exp or exp events/boosts on alts once we have already done the content at least once but for the first play through and year or so I think it's important to keep it as natural and boost free as possible for the benefit of the game and the community as a whole.

• 409 posts
    November 16, 2015 8:18 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Bonus/Double Experience events - are you a fan or do you think it hurts the game overall? :)

Not a fan, hurts the game.

It's a gateway drug to the coming addiction of dumbing down the game.

• 999 posts
    November 16, 2015 2:49 PM PST

Yeah, +1 to the crowd for not a fan for me as well.

It's much like receiving your first clarity/KEI etc. in EQ.  Once the community has had a taste, they're going to scream for more and more.  It's better to not introduce it at all, until perhaps the 10+ anniversary like Sarim said.

• 999 posts
    November 16, 2015 2:53 PM PST

Kilsin said:

After the game has been out for a year or more then that is fine, I don't mind rest exp or exp events/boosts on alts once we have already done the content at least once but for the first play through and year or so I think it's important to keep it as natural and boost free as possible for the benefit of the game and the community as a whole.

I see your point, but I disagree here.  I would hope after a year there will still be a steady influx of new players to Pantheon.  I would want them to be able to experience the same journey as me.  Perhaps if you felt that you "had" to do it to garner community interest, tie it to Account Creation time much like Veteran Rewards in EQ (Example, new players wouldn't receive Exp bonus, but Veteran Players with Accounts Year+ older would).  I'd still be aganist it though.  I'll admit that I'm guilty of liking leveling faster in the moment (especially on EQ after 15 years), but it cheapens the overall experience once I obtained max level, skipped content, and am bored.  Exp bonuses are one of the things you wouldn't know what you're missing if it's never introduced.

This post was edited by Raidan at November 16, 2015 2:55 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 16, 2015 3:01 PM PST

Venjenz said:

Kilsin said:

Not a fan, hurts the game.

It's a gateway drug to the coming addiction of dumbing down the game.

Yeah, I certainly don't think it helps the game at all :)

• 163 posts
    November 16, 2015 5:48 PM PST
    I've always tried to take advantage of events like this in the past, especially on project 1999, but I never thought in the long run it was beneficial to the server. I'd rather see spikes in population encouraged by way of well thought out and fun GM led events.
    • 378 posts
    November 17, 2015 5:48 PM PST

I agree it should not apply to people with no max lvl char's, I don't know if this is even possible but would they be able to have these events but it only gets applied to accounts who have 1 or 2 max lvl char's, this way the older gamers get to lvl alts but new players still enjoy the content and don't skip anything ?

• 2138 posts
    November 17, 2015 7:09 PM PST

I would prefer interesting GM events, over double XP weekends.