Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Clickies!

• 74 posts
    October 8, 2015 7:31 PM PDT

Maybe this has been discussed at length already but I couldn't find the topic. Clickies are one of the greatest things about EQ1 and I really hope we see some powerful items with effects that stack as the game moves into expansion after expansion. I always enjoyed going back to older zones to camp the mob that had the sweet clicky you new would always be useful! In every new game they are so afraid to give you anything that is powerful/lasting beyond the next 5 levels because someone might get upset if everyone didn't have access to it or it would cause an imbalance in PVP.

Bring on the PVE power baby!

I think I am channeling Bruce Campbell and the new Evil Dead show coming out :D

• 671 posts
    October 8, 2015 8:11 PM PDT

I agree^

But I hope they are ultra rare... and when I do see one. I hope it is in town, and the owner is telling a story on how he managed to get such a magical item.. 

Clickies need to be Xorbb rare.

• 511 posts
    October 8, 2015 8:59 PM PDT
    Hieromonk said:

I agree^

But I hope they are ultra rare... and when I do see one. I hope it is in town, and the owner is telling a story on how he managed to get such a magical item.. 

Clickies need to be Xorbb rare.

As long as it is not Raster of Guk and the Idol rare!

• 753 posts
    October 8, 2015 9:27 PM PDT

I enjoyed the concept of class specific armor clickables.  First with things like the Tolan's bracer (endless arrows!) and the Tolan's Breastplate (GATE!) - then later on with clickie items that ultimately just saved you a spell gem slot because one of your class spells was now a clickie on an item.

• 671 posts
    October 8, 2015 9:43 PM PDT

King Xorbb is rarer than Raster. I have hunted both..

• 511 posts
    October 8, 2015 10:44 PM PDT
    Hieromonk said:

IDK I feel like King Xorbb spawned more but had a lower drop chance on his rare, Raster spawned less but had a great drop rate on his rare. Guess I would agree that raster seems not as rare as when he does spawn you would actually be unlucky for him to not have one. King Xorbb on the other hand you can kill 6-7 times and not get  his drop.

But that is how a lot of spawns where for EQ, first off no one new the spawn times on most mobs for quite some time.  Most barely even knew where a boss or named spawned. EQ also had a very closed lipped community early on, specially in the raiding scene. Wasn't like it is now where you find youtube vids with strats from betas before the game is launched, and every fan site has the info on the mob, spawn times, locations, item chance to drop, spell info etc. ZAM is great resource, but makes people lazy also...

• 724 posts
    October 8, 2015 11:56 PM PDT

VG had some quests for useful clickies like levitate, enduring breath, super jump and maybe more that I don't remember now. I did those quests and was very happy when I got my items. I don't mind if there are clickie items with (better) stats dropped from rare mobs, but having useful effects also available through quests would be great.

• 671 posts
    October 9, 2015 12:20 AM PDT
    Dreconic said:
    Hieromonk said:

IDK I feel like King Xorbb spawned more but had a lower drop chance on his rare, Raster spawned less but had a great drop rate on his rare. Guess I would agree that raster seems not as rare as when he does spawn you would actually be unlucky for him to not have one. King Xorbb on the other hand you can kill 6-7 times and not get  his drop.

But that is how a lot of spawns where for EQ, first off no one new the spawn times on most mobs for quite some time.  Most barely even knew where a boss or named spawned. EQ also had a very closed lipped community early on, specially in the raiding scene. Wasn't like it is now where you find youtube vids with strats from betas before the game is launched, and every fan site has the info on the mob, spawn times, locations, item chance to drop, spell info etc. ZAM is great resource, but makes people lazy also...

I camped both. Raster was 210 hours, nearly non-stop and with a lot of effort. Xorbb is on a whole different level. If you have seen him more than a few times, you are a rarity yourself. He had nothng of need, there was no need for killing him, except for his rarity of items and prestige.

• 77 posts
    October 9, 2015 11:19 AM PDT

This is a tough thing to manage.  If they do this, I hope they consider balance, almost immediately.  In addition - I hope most of them are not DPS related.

In Vanguard, it was RIDICULOUS the amount of clickies you had to use to maximize that extra 1% of dmg.  In addition you could click like 4 at once (if not more).  It also marred the first Best of the Best competition in VG because if you didnt have clickies you were crushed.  So much for skill.

At any rate - I agree in principal that they are fun, but I hope the VR team comes up with something else. 

P.S. I know this has come up before and please dont feel like I'm going after you and your post, but - the less things in a way I see that are directly from another game I have already played, the better.  There is a reason we all stopped playing those games.  Let VR breathe some new life into things, like Brad did with his team when they produced EQ, and introduced to you how powerful a UI can be in an MMO.

Just get worried at the amount of suggestions here that are like "Hey, Make this game like this game."

This post was edited by Fingurs at October 9, 2015 4:52 PM PDT
    • 511 posts
    October 9, 2015 11:24 AM PDT
    Fingurs said:

P.S. I know this has come up before and please dont feel like I'm going after you and your post, but - the less things in a way I see that are directly from another game I have already played, the better.  There is a reason we all stopped playing those games.  Let VR breathe some new life into things, like Brad did with his team when they produced EQ, and introduced to you how powerful a UI can be in an MMO.

Just get worried at the amount of suggestions here that are like "Hey, Make this game like this game."

The thing is though all those games kept you for different reasons/features. When some one says "Hey are there goign to be clickies, pulling, perma death etc it is usaully becuase they liked those items in the other games.  Not becuase they didn't.!

• 77 posts
    October 9, 2015 11:36 AM PDT
    Dreconic said:
    Fingurs said:

The thing is though all those games kept you for different reasons/features. When some one says "Hey are there goign to be clickies, pulling, perma death etc it is usaully becuase they liked those items in the other games.  Not becuase they didn't.!

Oh that's loud and clear to me.  This is afterall a forum to share opinions - no ill will intended, I'm just pointing out that when you ask for stuff like this, consider all the negatives as well.  For example, it would be cool to see a post that said: 

"I want this, that was present in this.  The Upside is this, the downside was this.  I think maybe if it was introduced like this, it could balance it out.  Hope to see something inspired like this"

I get that people play games for different reasons, I just think sometimes the further you are away from something, the more romantic the memories become, when in actuality they were not romantic at all.  They are painful daily reminders of inefficiencies/lack of development on an idea.

Pulling was cool, except the fact that you had to sit there for 20+ minutes at times (depending on location) to just fight 1 mob.  That was boring - unless of course you were the puller!

Clickies in my experience was a nuisance more then anything as I explained.

Harsh death penalties, while appreciated by some, annihilated/drove away a lot of the fan base.  Which means less money.  Which means less production/development.  Which means more complaints.  Or as I would like to call it:  Vanguard :P

God - I sound like an old man wanting kids to get the hell off my porch. 

• 308 posts
    October 9, 2015 2:28 PM PDT

clickies should be like pegasus feathercloak hard to get. and it would be great if they were part of class specific quests too... i used to love linking my feathercloak that my cleric had to guild mages that had yet to get it for the epic... i know i am evil:)

• 1281 posts
    October 9, 2015 5:00 PM PDT

Being rare, but useful, makes clickies fun to hunt down and satisfying when you eventually loot one. If they are easy to find, and everyone has them, you can't stand out when you do have one.

• 338 posts
    October 10, 2015 7:00 AM PDT

I gotta say that clicky items need to be very carefully made.

If they step on the toes of anyones class abilities even a tiny bit that's bad imo.

If everyone can get a lev cloak then pretty soon everyone just levs around everywhere.

Now class specific clickies that make that class even more desirable are awesome... like the rogue/bard illusion masks

My 2 cents...

Kiz~

• 51 posts
    October 10, 2015 7:56 AM PDT

I think that illusion clickies are the best!  Let me collect all sorts of different appearance items that are super rare and I can show off in every group I join.  People will say "Wow!  Where did you get that?"  I will proceed to tell them a 20+ minute story to burn some time while we are killing mobs for the xps.  I will tell them how I had to camp it for days, and when I needed to sleep I would set my alarm for every 30 minutes just to make sure I could kill the placeholder when/if it spawned.  Or maybe I got the roll on that illusion item of the most recent raid that I did.  Clickies invite talking and fun to the game.  Especially illusions because you dont get stronger, but people still get impressed.  

P.S. Shrink clicky please... Ogres are Fat

• 74 posts
    October 10, 2015 11:46 AM PDT

It sounds like most of us agree that they have to be time consuming or really rare and go out of their way not to giving class defining abilities to other classes. When I think of Clickies I think of:

Pegasus Cloak

J-Boots

Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring

Amulet of Necropotence

Eyepatch of Plunder

Circlet of Shadow

ManaStone

and some of those raid clickies that add hps or mana as a buff that stacks with just about everything else

• 2138 posts
    October 10, 2015 3:57 PM PDT

I think utility clickys are nice suprises without being game changing or need to be rare. Remember the chipped bone rod? a very handy thing to have from level 10 if you were concerned about corpse runs. Used to be you had to go to Befallen to try to camp it, which in itself was a very neat, dangerous, little, low level dungeon. Also a nice thing to hand out whenever you went back to town to newbies who had reached level 10 and were also now concerned about corpse runs, helped take the edge off a bit and encouraged exploration or traveling if you knew you had it in the bank. Also the shrink wand from the moon? I liked that you could cast it on yourself, and if you cast it again you could squeeze down a few more inches. Although not of the gnome race myself I felt it made the gnomes themselves a little more sympatico on a subltle psychological level while I was among them or needed to visit their city just by virtue of being close to their natural size. It also helped in raids, you know, one less for the shaman to have to shrink, and in that kind of situation it was not dangerous to lend it around the group, so they could shrink-up (ha-ha). 

Or like fireworks, there was one basic one, that you could target another and it made them surrounded by a bright light that shot up into the sky, it was visible to all and made a nice touch at weddings; once the people were pronounced as bound to each other, to then see them illuminated in such a way made a nice little visual accent of the invisible and internal thing taking place between the two.

• 184 posts
    July 14, 2016 2:39 PM PDT

Hieromonk said:

They were both a pain in the arse....

• 432 posts
    July 14, 2016 7:15 PM PDT

Guys...

What is a clicky?

No seriously, W the actual F is this about?

So lost.

-Todd

• 184 posts
    July 14, 2016 7:31 PM PDT

Todd my man… Um your kidding right? I read your intro: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3561/i-am-a-todd and just those games alone you should have heard the term Clickies before :)

However, on the off chance you are serious: Thanks to our friends over at ZAM - Clickies are items with an effect that is triggered by right-clicking the item. All clicky items must either be clicked from an inventory slot (not inside a container, pre-VoA; with VoA expansion, such items can be clicked from inside a container) or from it's appropriate equipment slot. Clickies with the same recast type share the cool down timer, so if a clicky with a recast type 1 is clicked, then none of the clickies with a recast type 1 will be clickable until the clicked item has cooled down.

Just like spells, there is a wide variety of clickies available. Some can be used for trash buffs, some for looks (illusions) and visual effects (particles), some for buffs, some for debuffs, and some only for use in quests. 

This post was edited by Rint at July 14, 2016 7:33 PM PDT
    • 432 posts
    July 14, 2016 9:33 PM PDT

Rint said:

Todd my man… Um your kidding right? I read your intro: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3561/i-am-a-todd and just those games alone you should have heard the term Clickies before :)

However, on the off chance you are serious: Thanks to our friends over at ZAM - Clickies are items with an effect that is triggered by right-clicking the item. All clicky items must either be clicked from an inventory slot (not inside a container, pre-VoA; with VoA expansion, such items can be clicked from inside a container) or from it's appropriate equipment slot. Clickies with the same recast type share the cool down timer, so if a clicky with a recast type 1 is clicked, then none of the clickies with a recast type 1 will be clickable until the clicked item has cooled down.

Just like spells, there is a wide variety of clickies available. Some can be used for trash buffs, some for looks (illusions) and visual effects (particles), some for buffs, some for debuffs, and some only for use in quests. 

Thanks for clarifying. Odly enough i've never heard the term 'clickies' for those items. 

Thanks again,

-Todd

• 1778 posts
    July 15, 2016 7:35 AM PDT

Not a fan of clickies. But I say if they are rare and low in number like the short list Prindan provided then it should be fine.

• 109 posts
    July 15, 2016 8:52 AM PDT

clickies better not be ULTRA rare. sheesh. and what exactly do you mean by "they should be rare" ? The way I take it is you only want 2 clickies in the game

Are you referring to the amount of items that can be clicked or the frequency of times that the clicky item drops from that mob?

I'd love to expect there to be something like 10 clickies in the game, of course they can't be used by every single class (tank clickies, dps clickies, healer/caster clickies, etc). So in my peronsal opinion, it'd be great to have a decent amount of clickies, a lot of which will take a lot of time to be discovered. I'd hate for them to be so rare but it is great to show off when you do finally have it- especially if you are one of the lucky ones that got it after 1-2 clears..

I remember farming the Shralok pack in highpass back in the day!! gah that was the best first rare item I farmed numerous times.

• 610 posts
    July 15, 2016 9:04 AM PDT

The biggest problems I ever had with clickies was

1) Giving a class ability to a different class (Why does my Singing Steel helmet have an Eye of Zorn?)

2) the perma camps caused by a very wanted item dropping of a specific mob....ever try and camp a Lodi shield?

Usually cornered by a RMT farmer who has no intrest in the item but just wants to sell it.

• 172 posts
    July 15, 2016 3:09 PM PDT

I am a fan of clickies and I think that not only should they be included in the game, but that there could even be a fair number of them.  That said...

There are ways to limit their power.

1)  Make their cool down timer quite long.  Say, once per hour or even day.  You could use this for even lower power clickies.

2)  The clickies effects only work if the item is equiped.  Unequip the item, and the positive effects go away, but not the negative ones. (see #4)

3)  Items that have clickie powers tend to come with reduced stats.

4)  The positive affects can come with negative affects as well.  I.e...  levitation, but reduces AC by 50% or makes you very susceptible to stun.  Or reduced resistances.

5)  Could require 'recharging' after a time, that could cost money/time/exp and would require a quest.

Clickies should not be go-to items.  The majority of them should be situational.  However, I really do like them and think they can very signigifantly add to the game.

Obviously, the more difficult/dangerous it is to get a clickie, the more powerful it will be.

Ideas for clickies could inclued the list above (the one from Prindan), but could also include clickies that temporarily increased ones defenses, at a cost to DPS, or vice versa.  So long as the cooldowns were long and the effects not overpowering, sounds good to me.  Damage shield with a movement de-buff.  I like that one.

This post was edited by JDNight at July 15, 2016 3:10 PM PDT