Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon - Which Class and Why?

• 9115 posts
    June 24, 2015 5:14 AM PDT

I know a lot of us have many favorite classes but if you were forced to choose just one, which one would it be and why? You can include a race too if you like. :)

https://www.facebook.com/pantheonrotf/posts/1666170020264198?pnref=story

• 308 posts
    June 24, 2015 5:30 AM PDT

Since there are no class descriptions on the wiki, it's impossible to definitively say what class i would play in Pantheon.  If they are mirror images of EQ1 classes, it would have to be wizard.  It's the class or class archetype that i have played the most in my MMO career.  Started playing a wizard in Kunark and still play one today.  

This post was edited by Reht at June 24, 2015 11:35 AM PDT
    • 120 posts
    June 24, 2015 7:49 AM PDT
    That's an easy one.

Gnome Wizard
    This post was edited by Castwell at June 24, 2015 5:20 PM PDT
    • 144 posts
    June 24, 2015 7:59 AM PDT

Depends on all the choices really.

My first choice will always be a Rogue.  Depending on how that class play's  I may switch over to either a Disciple or any DPS type healer that uses DPS to heal.

Aoc = Bear Shaman

VG  = Disciple/Bloodmage

WarH = Disciple of Khaine

• 724 posts
    June 24, 2015 8:06 AM PDT

Normally I'd say Magician all the way. Especially if Pantheon should have a variant somewhat similar to EQ :) But a while ago I spent some time playing EQ and explored classes I never tried before: Shaman, Rogue, Necro, Enchanter...especially the Enchanter was very enjoyable. If I were forced to choose one class today, I'd probably flip a coin between Enchanter or Magician.

• 366 posts
    June 24, 2015 9:57 AM PDT

If we are supposed to be picking from Pantheon - It would have been the Curate, but I believed that class is no longer. I liked the idea of a cloth wearing healer for aesthetic reasons ( I know a lot of the boys will differ  and yes I have played cleric before so calm down :)   - my main in EQ2 for years was a plate wearing healer).  I enjoy healing others.

This post was edited by Zarriya at June 24, 2015 6:46 PM PDT
    • 158 posts
    June 24, 2015 10:13 AM PDT

Dark knight has always been my favorite class/class archetype since playing it in final fantasy xi. The archetype is always kindof portrayed as the opposite of paladin and in ffxi more so than some others. There it was all about power, where all of its elements focused on attack, sacrifice for more damage or crippling dark magic and stealing resources and attributes from your enemies. The closest thing to this in pantheon so far as is known, is the renamed "dread lord" (which I am still sore about) but it seems to be more focused on tanking as some other games have portrayed it to do. I am somewhat hoping that there is a way to really push it to damage, maybe with a specialization but who knows.

• 120 posts
    June 24, 2015 10:14 AM PDT
    Zarriya said:

If we are supposed to be picking from Pantheon - It would have been the Curate, but I believed that class is no longer. I liked the idea of a cloth wearing healer for aesthetic reasons ( I know a lot of the boys will differ  and yes I have played cleric before so calm down :)   - my main in EQ2 for years was a plate wearing healer).  I enjoy healing others.

Ummmm.....NO! Clerics can wear leather, plate, mail, anything but cloth! I really don't want to see yet another class who is going be the priority for drops aheada me.
    • 51 posts
    June 24, 2015 10:45 AM PDT
    Chaam said:

My first choice will always be a Rogue.  Depending on how that class play's  I may switch over to either a Disciple or any DPS type healer that uses DPS to heal.

Aoc = Bear Shaman

VG  = Disciple/Bloodmage

With regards to AOC, how did that game fair? I remember when they were developing it and it looked to be pretty sweet! Since it is still around what are some of the +'s and -'s of that particular game and how could it have been improved?

• 1 posts
    June 24, 2015 11:31 AM PDT

I was always a fan of the Necromancer in EQ1 and the closest class to that in Pantheon appears to be the Summoner.  Also, I was under the impression there was a revenant race which doesn't appear to be on the race list anymore?

This post was edited by Aurb1985 at June 24, 2015 5:28 PM PDT
    • 308 posts
    June 24, 2015 11:49 AM PDT
    Mephiles said:

Dark knight has always been my favorite class/class archetype since playing it in final fantasy xi. The archetype is always kindof portrayed as the opposite of paladin and in ffxi more so than some others. There it was all about power, where all of its elements focused on attack, sacrifice for more damage or crippling dark magic and stealing resources and attributes from your enemies. The closest thing to this in pantheon so far as is known, is the renamed "dread lord" (which I am still sore about) but it seems to be more focused on tanking as some other games have portrayed it to do. I am somewhat hoping that there is a way to really push it to damage, maybe with a specialization but who knows.

Did you ever try Daoc?  The reaver class was awesome, it could tank (chain armor with shield - shield was awesome in Daoc because you had attacks that would allow you to stun with it) but was a good dps class with it's soul reaving (use a chain type weapon or a whip and you would proc extra damage that would heal you for a portion of it) and some really good debuffs.

• 51 posts
    June 24, 2015 12:10 PM PDT
    Valith said:

With regards to AOC, how did that game fair? I remember when they were developing it and it looked to be pretty sweet! Since it is still around what are some of the +'s and -'s of that particular game and how could it have been improved?

My main in AoC was a Priest of Mitra. I loved the challenge of HoT-only healing. No direct healing spells. It made healing very active and had me on my feet moving around a lot. I found that in AoC, more than any other game, healing was not so much about keeping your group alive as it was about controlling the fight. If the healer wasn't on top of things the fight could quickly get out of control and it was hard to get it back under control if you lost it. I wouldn't want every game to have those healing mechanics but it worked great in AoC.

The combat was probably the draw for a lot of people, but personally I thought the game's strongest point was its atmosphere. The world was really well done. I played at launch, and only for a few months, but I enjoyed it. Unfortunately there was a lot they still needed to work on back then. Content was a major issue. There were a couple of gaps in the leveling process where there was no content for your level, but it wouldn't last long if you grind through it. Still, that's pretty much inexcusable for a quest-based game. Also, there was very little to do at 80 just after launch. And they wielded the nerf bat with a vengeance in those early days!

I haven't played since so I can't comment on how AoC is these days. I hope it's doing well. That game had a lot of potential.

Back on topic: My favorite role is healer. I prefer an interesting twist on it from the basic cleric or priest, but admit I usually end up going with whatever class has the strongest healing. IMO healing classes should be equal but different so there's no preferred class. It's no fun when people get shut out of groups because they aren't the flavor of the month for their role.

• 27 posts
    June 24, 2015 3:05 PM PDT
    Castwell said:
    That's an easy one. Gmone Wizard

word

*bro fist*

• 9115 posts
    June 24, 2015 5:24 PM PDT
    Chaam said:

Aoc = Bear Shaman

VG  = Disciple/Bloodmage

Nice! but now out of all of those classes you just mentioned, you can only pick one across all games! It's harder than people think to pick one class across all games they have ever played knowing the experiences and memories they had with multiple classes in most instances.

I would always pick a Rogue but have many close seconds, just not allowed to mention them though, can only pick one! ;)

• 9115 posts
    June 24, 2015 5:26 PM PDT
    Sarim said:

Normally I'd say Magician all the way. Especially if Pantheon should have a variant somewhat similar to EQ :) But a while ago I spent some time playing EQ and explored classes I never tried before: Shaman, Rogue, Necro, Enchanter...especially the Enchanter was very enjoyable. If I were forced to choose one class today, I'd probably flip a coin between Enchanter or Magician.

So which one is it then, Enchanter or Magician? :)

Whatever you choose the other options are taken away fro ever.

• 163 posts
    June 24, 2015 6:55 PM PDT

generally whichever would require the least attention span. Career long EQ rogue and mage.

• 23 posts
    June 24, 2015 7:04 PM PDT

Chanter (not Enchanter) - I got to wear skimpy clothes and carry around my own pole.  How much more of a reason do I need?

• 288 posts
    June 24, 2015 7:42 PM PDT

Iksar monk hands down, pulling mechanics of original EQ were 2nd to none, an absolute thrill to play.

• 13 posts
    June 24, 2015 9:19 PM PDT

Very easy answer for me... Monk.  Don't care what MMO it is or how it's implemented... Monk is always best class! :)

• 67 posts
    June 24, 2015 10:00 PM PDT

Gosh, tough one.  I really liked my Rakurr Shaman in VG (Vulmane of course).  Great heals, l33t buffs, stealth with heroes call OP, and can pump out dps with the correct gear.  I could literally wear whatever almost whatever I wanted, except for heavy armor.

• 724 posts
    June 24, 2015 11:27 PM PDT
    Kilsin said: 

So which one is it then, Enchanter or Magician? :)

Whatever you choose the other options are taken away fro ever.

I think I would finally go with Enchanter. Several reasons:

- its time for something new (after playing magician/elemental summoner in multiple other games)

- the enchanter is more useful to groups

- the magician variant in Pantheon may not be how I would like it to be (only judging from what I've read so far), so the two reasons above gain more weight

But honestly...this is a HARD question, and I'm an alt-oholic anyway...I hope Pantheon will give me plenty of chance to play all the classes :)

• 158 posts
    June 25, 2015 1:19 AM PDT
    Reht said:
    Mephiles said:

Did you ever try Daoc?  The reaver class was awesome, it could tank (chain armor with shield - shield was awesome in Daoc because you had attacks that would allow you to stun with it) but was a good dps class with it's soul reaving (use a chain type weapon or a whip and you would proc extra damage that would heal you for a portion of it) and some really good debuffs.

I actually never even heard of DAOC until waaaaay past its prime, I believe I first learned it existed sometime around when Star Wars the Old Republic was announced (I want to say 2008 or 2009) . I have no idea how I managed to completely avoid hearing/seeing such a prestigious title for that long. The reaver sounds interesting though.

• 180 posts
    June 25, 2015 2:31 AM PDT

Everquest 1 Ranger

If based off raiding I would go with Disciple from Vanguard.

• 9115 posts
    June 25, 2015 3:22 AM PDT
    Anasyn said:

Everquest 1 Ranger

If based off raiding I would go with Disciple from Vanguard.

Haha there is no backups! you guys have to pick one class and that is it for everything! (which is why it is a challenging question and a fun one to ask lol :P) :)

• 120 posts
    June 25, 2015 4:52 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:

Haha there is no backups! you guys have to pick one class and that is it for everything! (which is why it is a challenging question and a fun one to ask

Ummm, it's a tough one cause we don't know which class will be the one that gets screwed.......