Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Thirst/Hunger - Auto-Eating/Consumables

• 167 posts
    November 21, 2023 5:24 AM PST
    Zorkon said:

I’ve seen the EverQuest auto feed system mentioned a couple of times. As an early EverQuest player (early 1999) as I recall (disclaimer: I’m 64 years old and that was 24 years ago, I could be wrong) it was originally click to feed. The auto feed came as a quick easy way to patch the annoyance.

My point is that “patch” was the easy way out, the potential is there for it to be an integral part of the game. Just as pvE meaning player against the Environment, can actually mean something to the game. I know most people are all about ++++ of buff food, but I think there should actually be the opposite - - - negative effects of failing to eat at all. These negative effects could be slower movement speed, less damage on spells or abilities, less endurance while climbing or swimming, shorter sprint distances.

Just seems to me like that would kind of fit as an action or lack there of in

9. All actions (or lack thereof) have consequences

The most annoying part about EQ for me was always running out to a dungeon to find a group for the day and realizing that I forgot food and drink. Not such a big deal on my rogue, but on a caster? Ugh, now I have to turn around and run all the way back and buy food and drink or HOPE that there's someone in the party who will summon it for me.

Your idea is to make it EVEN MORE punishing?

negative effects of failing to eat at all. These negative effects could be slower movement speed, less damage on spells or abilities, less endurance while climbing or swimming, shorter sprint distances.

I would not play this game. I would honestly consider this the worst mechanic ever introduced to an MMORPG.
    • 947 posts
    November 21, 2023 7:58 AM PST
    Personal opinion:

Having food/drink that you need to carry around in your inventory is a money and time sink that I'm absolutely not in favor of. Consumables should give a benefit (buff) or otherwise not exist.

If we're going to have to auto "consume" food/drink to avoid simulated starvation/dehydration then I want to see characters have to take a ** or ** in the middle of wherever they are, and having to sleep for 6+ hours every 24 hour period.

If the consumable gives benefits, then there could be a feature to auto-consume, which would be a good feature. To add onto that feature, I would add a "timer" to the food that shows the duration based on how much of the auto-consumed product there is. i.e. if 1 Gasbat Crunchie provides levitation for 10mins, and you have 5 remaining crunchies, your buff would show 50mins remaining.
    This post was edited by Ranarius at November 21, 2023 10:34 AM PST
    • 194 posts
    November 21, 2023 10:29 AM PST
    Let's go even further: Players must keep track of their total income for the year. At the beginning of each year you must pay 2% - 10% of your total income as tithe to your capital city for upkeep, percentage based on income bracket.
    • 146 posts
    November 24, 2023 9:30 AM PST
    My problem with the non-auto-feed position of "this is a world not a game", is that I'm not physically that character. Potentially dying because you didn't realize a little buff icon came off in the middle of combat isn't realistic and sucks. My hunger in a world would be hard to ignore. Long-term item requiring buffs are not consistently reapplied by my forgetful self, and I can't be the only one with that problem. Buffs that don't require items are easy because I can simply recast them every few minutes with no real downside or hit to my pocket.

As others have pointed out, an option to opt-in to auto eating would mean 99% of the players use it. However, this would not be the case if eating/drinking had a 15s animation where you were locked for the first 3-5 seconds. Your tank auto-eats while fighting a boss? Bad time.

Going back to my initial issue, I don't think adding animations to a dual option system or allowing auto-eating are the solutions. For me it would be a hard to ignore cue that my food buff is wearing off. Let my character actually tell me. Have my character say "I'm getting hungry" when 5 minutes are remaining and "I'm starving/famished (whatever race relevant phrase would fit)" at the 1 or 2 minute mark.

They could have those two audio clues be the only audio clues so it's not abused by those trying to annoy others. Plus your party will know when you're low as well and can help remind you if you're grouped.
    • 1284 posts
    November 27, 2023 9:19 AM PST

The argument that I am not my character is a good one and finding the balance between character and player is tough.  Our character could do literally everything in the game without us as players, if the game were built that way.  We could just be watching the entire game play out with our characters making all their own choices.  That would even be fun for some people.  

On the opposite extreme we, the players, could have to do every single little thing.  We could have to make our characters breathe, and blink, and even swallow when we eat and drink.  

Two extremes, and I personally don't want either one.  Somewhere in the middle would be great, the problem is that "somewhere in the middle" is different for all of us.  This is the main reason why I often talk about wanting VR to make a game that they love, and then if I also love it I'll spend years there with them.

• 194 posts
    November 27, 2023 11:09 AM PST
    Ranarius said:

The argument that I am not my character is a good one and finding the balance between character and player is tough. Our character could do literally everything in the game without us as players, if the game were built that way. We could just be watching the entire game play out with our characters making all their own choices. That would even be fun for some people.

On the opposite extreme we, the players, could have to do every single little thing. We could have to make our characters breathe, and blink, and even swallow when we eat and drink.

Two extremes, and I personally don't want either one. Somewhere in the middle would be great, the problem is that "somewhere in the middle" is different for all of us. This is the main reason why I often talk about wanting VR to make a game that they love, and then if I also love it I'll spend years there with them.

Hey, we agree on something. I also don't want absolute tedium, I would rather the availability of resources and information of the world provide the influence I need for decisions.