Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Do you run along and murder everything

• 9115 posts
    December 6, 2021 3:48 AM PST

Community Debate - Do you run along and murder everything in sight for that sweet exp goodness or does your conscience demand that you pick your targets more carefully and save the innocent and cute from the wrath of your weapon of choice? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 258 posts
    December 6, 2021 4:26 AM PST

To me, is, to have a sense of what the world around me is in the game, so that I'm able to interact with the story / adventure / epic battle.

• 438 posts
    December 6, 2021 5:19 AM PST
    Kill em all and let God sort them out.
    • 223 posts
    December 6, 2021 5:58 AM PST

I am driven by my toon and their lore. I am ashamed that once I was convinced to play a gnome Necromancer, many a Felwithe and Kaladim guard fell to my sorcery. 

• 422 posts
    December 6, 2021 6:00 AM PST

In immersive worlds where there was a death penalty that actually mattered and was impactful where I might lose all my gear and spend weeks or months recovering from a death and subsequent loss of a corpse, like EQ, I actively avoided engaging anything while travelling. I wanted to be ready and prepared before engaging in combat to maximize my odds of survival. Because the world demanded respect. This made the world that much more and adventuring was actually exhilarating.

In GAMES like WoW and pretty much everything that came after where the death penalty is a mere inconvenience at best because I lose nothing but a little xp or durability, and thus gold, which can be recovered in a relative short period of time, I would kill everything because the world was a joke. There was no danger and the entire world was hallow. The world was a joke and didn't deserve any respect.

• 2419 posts
    December 6, 2021 7:28 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Do you run along and murder everything in sight for that sweet exp goodness or does your conscience demand that you pick your targets more carefully and save the innocent and cute from the wrath of your weapon of choice? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Kill anything and everything.

• 1921 posts
    December 6, 2021 7:29 AM PST

IMO:

If that's the only way to gain resources and/or progress, then that's how players will gain resources and progress. :)

• 134 posts
    December 6, 2021 7:39 AM PST

Kill the animals, save the frames.

• 3852 posts
    December 6, 2021 8:05 AM PST

I will rarely kill without a reason. If a townswoman asks me to help out by killing wolves I will do so. If I am simply on my way somewhere and see a wolf - if it leaves me in peace I will reciprocate.

I will also pick and choose quests. I will kill cute furry animals given a good reason but will not do anything I consider "evil" (unless failure to do so does more than deprive me of xp but blocks progress in a major quest line).

Sadly, if Pantheon is based on mind-numbing, amoral slaughter and not enough quests to give me a reason for what I am doing - preferably a good reason (good in the sense of good versus evil not in the sense of efficient or productive) I will probably have to adapt. But endless slaughter for 2xp per kill and the 5 copper pieces per drop is my absolute least favorite way to progress in a game.

Taking the good side is a personal preference - from a game design perspective it is wise to have choices so those that take a morally challenged approach can do their thing as well. One of my favorite quest series in EQ2 was a low level crafting series where the "good" crafters were tasked with doing things to try and counter what the "evil" crafters were doing. Very nicely intertwined.

This post was edited by dorotea at December 6, 2021 8:08 AM PST
    • 392 posts
    December 6, 2021 8:18 AM PST

I feel the more cute/cool a creature looks the more I want to kill it.

The first fae drake I saw in EQ I ran off the trail to kill just cause.

• 150 posts
    December 6, 2021 9:48 AM PST

Similar to Lafael, it's entirely dependent on the character's race/class/deity and personal background. As a druid or nature-aligned paladin? Animals and plants are off limits, unless they're diseased/corrupted (insert Monty Python's killer bunny scene here). As a necromancer or dire lord? Let the bodies hit the floor.

• 413 posts
    December 6, 2021 12:01 PM PST

In Pantheon if you run along and kill everything, than you should be doing a corpse run in just a few minutes.  So answer is no, I want to play a more challanging game. 

• VR Staff
    • 318 posts
    December 6, 2021 12:36 PM PST

Murder Hobos, all of you...

• 9115 posts
    December 6, 2021 1:38 PM PST

vjek said:

IMO:

If that's the only way to gain resources and/or progress, then that's how players will gain resources and progress. :)

That's not answering my question, do YOU kill everything or spare the innocent and cute? :)

• 9115 posts
    December 6, 2021 1:39 PM PST

Artois said:

I know right, they've all just made someone's watchlist! :D

• 1921 posts
    December 6, 2021 2:06 PM PST

Kilsin said:

vjek said:

IMO:

That's not answering my question, do YOU kill everything or spare the innocent and cute? :)

IMO:

Hehhe. yeah.  If it provides XP and/or resources, it dies.  If it 'greys out' like EQ1 and/or I don't need the mats, it can continue it's existence.  Everyone in my guild plays the same way.  Why give up the opportunity to be efficient when time is precious?

Having said that, if there was some global thematically consistent game balance mechanic and implementation goal that could be achieved by appropriately culling, trapping, livestock farming, herding, domesticating, and/or exterminating animals, insects, or similar, I would absolutely participate in such a game loop.  But otherwise, in EQ terms, if it cons green, it dies. :D

• 22 posts
    December 6, 2021 2:15 PM PST

I am selective with my targets

• 200 posts
    December 6, 2021 3:49 PM PST
    I don’t kill fluffy and/or cute. And I don’t lay a finger on animals that have their babies with them, I’ve run quite a few times to lose aggro when I’d hit a mob and it turned out to have offspring next to it. Besides that I have pestered friends who’d kill anything in sight not to kill the innocent sheep or bunnies. I’m a nuisance. And a bit of an idiot, I knooooow they’re not real but… not the bunny!

:D
    • 223 posts
    December 6, 2021 4:06 PM PST

Cyphonus said:

Totally unrelated but your name is extremely close to that I used for my Paladin in EQ back when it launched. Never seen another like it.

This post was edited by Lafael at December 6, 2021 4:06 PM PST
    • 839 posts
    December 6, 2021 4:14 PM PST
    Almost always play a caster and I really love cool particle effects with magic, so if I'm not just dragging half cast particles behind me as in traveling I'm nuking things with my most elaborate looking spell in the book to satisfy my hunger..
    • 1992 posts
    December 6, 2021 4:22 PM PST

Nanoushka said: I don’t kill fluffy and/or cute... I knooooow they’re not real but… not the bunny! :D

Clearly my friend, you have never heard of the horrifying White Rabbit, Pookie *shudder*. The most evil, vicious, deadly specimen of Leporidae ever known to mankind. From his cave lair, deep in the south Dire Lands of Ancient Dereth, Pookie has slain and terrorized countless hordes of brave adventurers over the years. His teeth rip thru plate armor like cabbage. His quickness defies physics. And his ferocity is such that NONE who have ever slain the monster survived their wounds.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• 392 posts
    December 6, 2021 4:51 PM PST

Artois said:

I guess we know where we stand on player housing then.

• 724 posts
    December 6, 2021 11:59 PM PST

Well, Pantheon is supposedly a RPG, and since I'll (probably) never play a chaotic evil character, why would I mindlessly attack anything in my sight? So no, I won't murder everything I come across "just because".

We're playing adventurers, yes. That means we'll probably have to do some "morally gray" stuff if we want to earn some big rewards. That I can live with...as long as it's the exception, and not the norm.

• 521 posts
    December 7, 2021 1:29 AM PST

I’ll kill everything if the XP Gains are decent. Cute or innocent is irrelevant.

• 223 posts
    December 7, 2021 7:06 AM PST

HemlockReaper said:

I’ll kill everything if the XP Gains are decent. Cute or innocent is irrelevant.

What if the faction hits are not what you're wanting?