Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Do you run along and murder everything

• 2138 posts
    December 7, 2021 8:18 AM PST

It depends.

Speaking of Hobo's I do want to call out that one "beggar" that was always present at the docks near Kaladim that people would always point out as a lesson to those that begged in game  "see?! thats what happens when you beg (from players)"

I like being presented with choices. For instance I was upset the first time I killed an orc and realized it was part of an indigo brotherhood that I later learned was also part of dark elf faction and I was sore that I ruined that piece. Once I saw the message I wanted to stop but peer pressure made me stay.

Although I admit to a Jinx-like thrill in face to face mass annihilation I just prefer a reason. Otherwise I am fine being frozen, tortured by internal dilema due to a choice that needs to be made. Oh, the drama.

• 393 posts
    December 7, 2021 8:27 AM PST

I will kill only what is necessary to kill. 

If that means 'Pookie', then that means 'Pookie'.

• 1921 posts
    December 7, 2021 9:23 AM PST

Lafael said:

What if the faction hits are not what you're wanting?

IMO:

Historically, playing a 'good' race, 99% of the time, if you can't raise or fix that faction, it's not a faction worth having.

The one notable exception being, as an 'evil' race, tanking Venril Sathir and become KOS in the Kunark outpost for all evil races.
    That time?  Not so great. =D 
    But eventually, even that was meaningless, after PoK/PoP.

But the rest of the time? Hell, you could nullify every Halfling scout in Neriak forest ten times over and eventually be ally with every Rivervale faction. (IIRC)
    Just put in the time and effort, and you could fix it.

Personally, I am a huge fan of faction, alignment, worship, deity, religious and similar in-game thematically consistent faction-like systems. 
    It's just that most of the time, they don't matter in the slightest, and there is no agonizing choice.  Even in Velious you could mix and match, nothing was permanent.

If a faction can go down, it should be able to go up.  If my actions have consequences, and it's an intended gameplay mechanic that I can change those consequences, awesome.  Bring it on.
    If a faction can ONLY go down, and especially if it starts at KoS, I see no value in communicating to the player it's going down. 
    It's just spam, at that point.  " My terrible standing is getting worse?  Oh no.  Anyway. "

We've had these discussions over the past 7+ years on these forums about the breadth of potential faction systems.  The reality is, this team is not going to be the team to implement a complete set of land, culture, history, gods, guilds, planes, dimensions, cities, art, style, music, literature, poetry and progression for every humanoid and/or sentient race (playable or not) in the setting of Pantheon, for launch.  There's simply not enough desire, will, time or people to reach that goal.  I mean, it's not a public design goal for the game, and never has been.

But, if such a game ever comes to pass, whereby all the races have their own thematically consistent land, culture, history, gods, guilds, planes, dimensions, cities, art, style, music, literature, poetry, goals, quests, world plot, and progression, and your actions as a player permit you to play any and/or all of those races?  Sign me up! :)

• 5 posts
    December 7, 2021 9:54 AM PST

Unless I'm going to take faction hits which prevent me from entering certain areas, like my own town or something, usually everything is fair game. In games like ESO where you have a lot of choice making, I pretty much stole anything of value and killed the people that were in the way.

• 3 posts
    December 7, 2021 10:38 AM PST

I had a tendency to always be crafting and seeking mats, so if the kill would result in mats I would take it out. Most of the time I would research what mobs would be in the area and I would plan my route or travels so that I could hunt, gain mats, and get experience while traveling.

• 724 posts
    December 7, 2021 11:42 AM PST

I am selective as per my character or role. 

My Halfling will blindly attack wraiths whenever an opportunity presents itself. 

Any cute creatures will get preferential treatment and I'll judge harshly the other players that carelessly kill everything.   

This post was edited by StoneFish at December 7, 2021 11:43 AM PST
    • 258 posts
    December 7, 2021 12:51 PM PST

Byproducts said:

Kill the animals, save the frames.

Pixel frames, right?

• 134 posts
    December 7, 2021 12:55 PM PST

BigBadAzz1 said:

Byproducts said:

Pixel frames, right?

Yes, I was making a silly reference because it's the first thing that popped into my head.

I do, however, generally kill everything at least once just to see what it drops.

• 888 posts
    December 7, 2021 3:09 PM PST
    I don't want to play a sociopathic character and I would prefer the game be set up as more than a murder sim. I want to see some species considered sacred by some races / cultures. There should be more reward for defending specific species from poachers and predators than from simply killing everything we see.

Seeing a predator stalking a sacred elk and knowing I have only moments to intervene is far more interesting than walking up just outside aggro range and attacking for no real reason besides xp. We could also have 'bad omen' species or corrupted species that we want to attack on sight, but I would prefer there be some reasons and nuance to it.
    • 9115 posts
    December 7, 2021 3:10 PM PST

vjek said:

Kilsin said:

vjek said:

IMO:

If that's the only way to gain resources and/or progress, then that's how players will gain resources and progress. :)

That's not answering my question, do YOU kill everything or spare the innocent and cute? :)

IMO:

Hehhe. yeah.  If it provides XP and/or resources, it dies.  If it 'greys out' like EQ1 and/or I don't need the mats, it can continue it's existence.  Everyone in my guild plays the same way.  Why give up the opportunity to be efficient when time is precious?

Having said that, if there was some global thematically consistent game balance mechanic and implementation goal that could be achieved by appropriately culling, trapping, livestock farming, herding, domesticating, and/or exterminating animals, insects, or similar, I would absolutely participate in such a game loop.  But otherwise, in EQ terms, if it cons green, it dies. :D

Haha, I'm pretty much the same :P

• 258 posts
    December 8, 2021 2:35 AM PST

Byproducts said:

BigBadAzz1 said:

Byproducts said:

Pixel frames, right?

Yes, I was making a silly reference because it's the first thing that popped into my head.

I do, however, generally kill everything at least once just to see what it drops.

It's all good, man lol.. I thought it was humorous xD

• 1281 posts
    December 8, 2021 8:59 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Do you run along and murder everything in sight for that sweet exp goodness or does your conscience demand that you pick your targets more carefully and save the innocent and cute from the wrath of your weapon of choice? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

I tend to explore and try to interact with just about everything.  I generally only attack those things that aggro.  Although, if I know that someone has that sweet sweet loot....

• 624 posts
    December 8, 2021 8:11 PM PST

I play for immersion, not efficiency. So cute things shall have nothung to fear from this bard while (hopefully rapidly) traveling solo. I hated swarm-kiting in EQ, fun to master but horribly inelegant. Yuck.

When grouped with my murder-hobo friends, however, I will certainly make them more efficient at de-populating the landscape.

My job is to make my group look good, while looking good...

This post was edited by Kumu at December 8, 2021 8:12 PM PST
    • 768 posts
    December 8, 2021 10:41 PM PST

I pick my target. And I expect that would be the preferred path in this game since resource management is of importance. Time to spent is a resource, at least to my book. 

The reason why I would divert from my chosen quest/story path is when content is very tempting /intriguing. Then I could get sidetracked. 

And with factions being an important factor in this game, I'll want to watch out what I'm killing.

• 521 posts
    December 10, 2021 12:21 AM PST

Lafael said:

HemlockReaper said:

I’ll kill everything if the XP Gains are decent. Cute or innocent is irrelevant.

What if the faction hits are not what you're wanting?

Sure, if there’s a negative effect to my character I would likely avoid killing something. That wasn't in the question though, it was about Cute or innocent indicating avoidance based on some sense of morality or sympathy towards the target.

• 223 posts
    December 10, 2021 2:34 AM PST

Cheers for the reply:)

• 258 posts
    December 10, 2021 5:44 AM PST

Sarim said:

Well, Pantheon is supposedly a RPG, and since I'll (probably) never play a chaotic evil character, why would I mindlessly attack anything in my sight? So no, I won't murder everything I come across "just because".

We're playing adventurers, yes. That means we'll probably have to do some "morally gray" stuff if we want to earn some big rewards. That I can live with...as long as it's the exception, and not the norm.

You sound overly optimistic, sir. Not sure if you're a troll or believe in fairy tales >:)

• 810 posts
    December 11, 2021 10:52 AM PST

Shake up the MMO norms VR or we will all just be walking slaughter houses. 

MMO worlds often have a fake feeling to them because virtually everything targetable is curated to be there for xp.  Games may sprinkle in critters, but there is never any real diversity.  If every target is merely walking xp with no consequences then of course you kill them all.  Factions should matter and be critical choices for how you want to be seen in the world.

I would love for there to be diversity in zones.  I wish very few things were hostile by default.  Put information about who the gangs in the world are and how they conduct business.  If people go out and kill robin hood the factions should remember it? 

Let people dig themselves a hole with factions.  It was an easy source of xp to slaughter nonhostile wisp like creatures.  Now that night has fallen all the lights of the forest wants to kill you, what do you think now?

• 145 posts
    December 16, 2021 7:52 PM PST

i kill the things in game that are a benefit to my characeters persona or allegiances if im a direlord i probably kill the innocent if im a ranger i probably wont kill fellow rangers unless i try to be good direlord or a bad ranger?

• 752 posts
    December 30, 2021 8:42 PM PST
    Pure chaos. Let the gods sort them out after they are dead.
    • 33 posts
    January 3, 2022 9:50 AM PST

Good question. Really depends on the game mechaniques. I will counter your question and ask if the innocent agro on me or not. Are they still innocent then? Race bias may cause a lot of it if such is the game mechaniques.

So I will read your questions like this; Will I attack an NPC that does not agro/attack me in the first place and that according to RP is not a legitimate target, such as vendors or common folk.

My answer is that while playing I will follow a goal, which is usually get stronger, higher level, get better equipment. If I am forced to achieve these goals by attacking things that dont make sense, it hinders the experience, but if anything EQ proved since 1999 it is that I do. If I can avoid it, then sure. But its always the game's fault ;) The moral compromise a game will force on me for NPCs though does not flow to PvP in my case. I am extemely selective in PvP and will not hurt a real player's feeling.

This post was edited by SynSymbio at January 3, 2022 9:53 AM PST
    • 220 posts
    January 27, 2022 2:34 PM PST

Death penalty in a game then I choose wisely.

No death penalty then I mow the grass.

• 1273 posts
    January 27, 2022 2:51 PM PST

I do not kill everything.  I take into account the story, my character's part in that story, and try to make decisions that make sense for my character.  

That was tough in EQ haha...I created a wood elf ranger and thought it would be cool to never kill animals.  That didn't last long though!  lol

• 219 posts
    January 27, 2022 11:09 PM PST

Little of column A, little of column B, depending on the game.

I still to this day feel bad about eating those 10 Crunchy Chicks to open the evil Demon Door/Gate in the first Fable game.  The one where you have to either be really evil (I just can't do that in any game) or do something to generate -10 alignment points in front of it (hence eating the 10 Crunchy Chicks)

...poor chicks.

So yeah, I tend not to kill indiscriminately in game.  However, self-defense is always allowed.  You attack me, it doesn't matter how cute and fuzzy or supposedly "good" you are, taste cold steel!

• 112 posts
    January 29, 2022 9:27 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Do you run along and murder everything in sight for that sweet exp goodness or does your conscience demand that you pick your targets more carefully and save the innocent and cute from the wrath of your weapon of choice? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Well pending on what I am doing at the moment...if I am questing most likely i will leave the innocnece alone. At some point you need some simple killing to lighten  the mood.