Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The ability to solo.

• 13 posts
    July 12, 2021 6:52 AM PDT

So I want to take on a different stance on soloing and it's impact on the game. And if it has already been said, forgive me. I have not read all comments.

So soloability is important to even an MMO that wants to promote community and bringing people together. 

Being able to solo has an impact on questing, time spending while waiting for a group, and the economy. 

First point:

- With questing, it's true that not all quests need to be soloable. But aspects of of quests should be, and not only the talking to npcs, or crafting portion.

- Enemies should be to, but in a build up type of fashion. If every enemy in a quest line is so difficult that you need a group for it then that creates a strain on the community that is being built by the game.

- Why? because having to pull people away for every section of a quest when people are on different iterations of the quest is both good and bad.

- It'll make it so that players may not want to peal away from leveling up do go help someone on a quest they've done 5,6,7 times.

- BUT, making sections of the quest soloable (soloable mobs, npc talks, searching etc...) creates less of a demand on other people's time while still promoting community interactions. Except this is in a

more healthy way.

Second Point:

- No one will be able to party/group all the time.

- In order to abait frustrations of adventuring/killing, having some spots nearby groupcentric areas is helpful for soloability and would also help promote grouping up which I can show in a heatmap below.

Third Point:

- This is primarily linked to the second point above.

- How soloability impacts the game economy is crafting materials.  

- Not being able to solo will cause, to some degree an impact of crafting. 

-Supply and Demand. Having a scarcity of materials will make crafting cost go up.

- And how you can control the amount is through drop rates from group play in leveling areas, and also through the solo areas and you can treat the amount of soloability almost as a fader that you can move

left and right.

- Want the economy (related to crafting) to be more difficult then change the drop rate of materials on solo mobs / group mobs and also the amount of solocentrinc spots for players to go.

- Some people want to be self sufficient to a degree. 

- Go get some pelts and then continue leather working.

- Also, there becomes a conflict in group play when crafting materials are also repair fodder for tanks. (Side Note)

So now a type of solution could be a heat map style of approach where you have the group areas and solo areas near each other. 

This promotes community while also appeasing self sufficiency.  The amount of experience, currency, drop rates of magic items, etc.. can be reduced for areas as needed.

Red= Group Needed
    Blue= Small groups
    Green= Solo able

This post was edited by Cryptfox at July 12, 2021 7:07 AM PDT
    • 123 posts
    July 22, 2021 9:10 AM PDT

First levels only

• 370 posts
    July 22, 2021 11:23 AM PDT

I say it this way... at every level I need something to do that is fun and productive solo. It does not necessarly need to be killing mobs, but I would like that. I just think the game needs options for someone who only has maybe 60 minutes to play and wants to hop on real fast without the social stigma of finding a group knowing you'll have to leave it so soon. 

• 13 posts
    July 23, 2021 12:42 AM PDT

Cryptfox said:

So I want to take on a different stance on soloing and it's impact on the game. And if it has already been said, forgive me. I have not read all comments.

So soloability is important to even an MMO that wants to promote community and bringing people together. 

Being able to solo has an impact on questing, time spending while waiting for a group, and the economy. 

First point:

- With questing, it's true that not all quests need to be soloable. But aspects of of quests should be, and not only the talking to npcs, or crafting portion.

- Enemies should be to, but in a build up type of fashion. If every enemy in a quest line is so difficult that you need a group for it then that creates a strain on the community that is being built by the game.

- Why? because having to pull people away for every section of a quest when people are on different iterations of the quest is both good and bad.

- It'll make it so that players may not want to peal away from leveling up do go help someone on a quest they've done 5,6,7 times.

- BUT, making sections of the quest soloable (soloable mobs, npc talks, searching etc...) creates less of a demand on other people's time while still promoting community interactions. Except this is in a

more healthy way.

Second Point:

- No one will be able to party/group all the time.

- In order to abait frustrations of adventuring/killing, having some spots nearby groupcentric areas is helpful for soloability and would also help promote grouping up which I can show in a heatmap below.

Third Point:

- This is primarily linked to the second point above.

- How soloability impacts the game economy is crafting materials.  

- Not being able to solo will cause, to some degree an impact of crafting. 

-Supply and Demand. Having a scarcity of materials will make crafting cost go up.

- And how you can control the amount is through drop rates from group play in leveling areas, and also through the solo areas and you can treat the amount of soloability almost as a fader that you can move

left and right.

- Want the economy (related to crafting) to be more difficult then change the drop rate of materials on solo mobs / group mobs and also the amount of solocentrinc spots for players to go.

- Some people want to be self sufficient to a degree. 

- Go get some pelts and then continue leather working.

- Also, there becomes a conflict in group play when crafting materials are also repair fodder for tanks. (Side Note)

So now a type of solution could be a heat map style of approach where you have the group areas and solo areas near each other. 

This promotes community while also appeasing self sufficiency.  The amount of experience, currency, drop rates of magic items, etc.. can be reduced for areas as needed.

Red= Group Needed
    Blue= Small groups
    Green= Solo able

Good post! Agreed :)

• 520 posts
    July 28, 2021 12:44 PM PDT

I'd like to be able to do some crafting materials gathering on my own, do corpse runs relatively safetly and be able to grind some money and a little bit of exp on my own - I certainly hope that it wont be possible to solo most content.