Forums » News and Announcements

Own a piece of Pantheon history!

• 9115 posts
    March 31, 2021 2:30 PM PDT

Let's keep it on topic and without the personal attacks, please.

• 51 posts
    April 1, 2021 3:51 PM PDT

I got an idea ! How about getting the playerbase involed by making them create their own NFT's. VR could get % of royalties on sales. This way it creates more trafic to Pantehon and VR get's more funidng. Everyone wins !!

• 413 posts
    April 27, 2021 12:07 PM PDT

BenD said:

It's really just about testing the market. If there's a market there, we'd be doing a disservice to the game's production by not exploring it. If there isn't, then that will become clear quickly and there would be no point in doing more.

Yes, finally some recognition Blockchain is here to stay.  

• 413 posts
    April 27, 2021 12:13 PM PDT

Next step is to sell an ETF that can be later redeemable in game for an item.  since your customizing Unity anyway, and Unity has a API for Blockchain, you are a sneeze away from allowing players to support the game buying a ETF, but aslo allowing them to covert it later into a 24 slot bag or something of that nature.

• 337 posts
    April 27, 2021 6:48 PM PDT

MalFelis said:

Just let me know when the action figure line or lore comics become available and I'm all in, because that's what I like to collect.

I have the thing for you...

An Actual Pantheon Tome Found! - Pantheon Forums (pantheonmmo.com)

• 1921 posts
    April 28, 2021 10:04 AM PDT

Caine said:

Next step is to sell an ETF that can be later redeemable in game for an item.  since your customizing Unity anyway, and Unity has a API for Blockchain, you are a sneeze away from allowing players to support the game buying a ETF, but aslo allowing them to covert it later into a 24 slot bag or something of that nature.

So using real life cash/money to obtain an in-game item, then?

• 413 posts
    April 28, 2021 11:38 AM PDT

To Vjek point;

Yes, a promotional 24 slot bag,  not a 5x speed Demon Horse mount.  There are nothing but possibilities.  Explore all angles and reject the ideas that don't serve the game.  Like what BenD said  "we'd be doing a disservice to the game's production by not exploring it."  With that in mind,  begin now with what is possible and do it "right" by vision design and programming, (what ever right is).  

To ignore what is coming would be folly.  Either-way you have to prepare for it.  I know the arguement where if money is invovled the Gold sellers come and destroy the economy.  VR get to decide how and when blockchain will be used.  Partnerships can be made,  promotions and advertising still needs to happen.  Heck, just having another form of payment for your subscription and expansions brings options and value.

I don't have all the answers, but I know burying your head in the sand and ignoring blockchain technology, will not be successful either.  

This post was edited by Zevlin at April 28, 2021 11:39 AM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    April 28, 2021 1:07 PM PDT

IMO:

For a certain portion of the to-date target demographic, any mechanism that permits, encourages, or facilitates the direct production, creation, or rewarding of in-game items* from a real-life cash/money payment is not ideal.
    * - (such as bags or any other equippable, consumable, appearance-only, armor, weapon, skin, or similar item)

It's certainly clear you're in favor of this, but I'm not. :)
    It's also not a desired public design goal from Visionary Realms up to this point, since Feb 22, 2014. 
    If the entirety, or a portion, of the game is going to now shift from a level playing field of a subscription to the RMT paradise of everything-beyond-a-subscription, that will have consequences to the demographic appeal.

And to be clear, I'm not so naive as to believe it would be a SMALLER demographic. :D
    It would definitely be a DIFFERENT demographic: People who want to play a game where a customer's RL money has a direct,  immediate & tangible impact on the power, speed, stats, convenience, abilities, storage, effectiveness or similar of that customer's characters.

• 1992 posts
    April 28, 2021 1:55 PM PDT

Caine said:

I don't have all the answers, but I know burying your head in the sand and ignoring blockchain technology, will not be successful either.  

I don't have all the answers, but I know burying your head in the sand and ignoring regular reports of people losing their investments in cryptocurrency will not be successful either. 

This post was edited by Jothany at April 28, 2021 1:56 PM PDT
    • 560 posts
    April 28, 2021 5:01 PM PDT

vjek said:

IMO:

For a certain portion of the to-date target demographic, any mechanism that permits, encourages, or facilitates the direct production, creation, or rewarding of in-game items* from a real-life cash/money payment is not ideal.
    * - (such as bags or any other equippable, consumable, appearance-only, armor, weapon, skin, or similar item)

It's also not a desired public design goal from Visionary Realms up to this point, since Feb 22, 2014. 
    If the entirety, or a portion, of the game is going to now shift from a level playing field of a subscription to the RMT paradise of everything-beyond-a-subscription, that will have consequences to the demographic appeal.

And to be clear, I'm not so naive as to believe it would be a SMALLER demographic. :D
    It would definitely be a DIFFERENT demographic: People who want to play a game where a customer's RL money has a direct,  immediate & tangible impact on the power, speed, stats, convenience, abilities, storage, effectiveness or similar of that customer's characters.

Completly agree with the above.

• 413 posts
    April 28, 2021 5:20 PM PDT

Jothany said:

Caine said:

I don't have all the answers, but I know burying your head in the sand and ignoring regular reports of people losing their investments in cryptocurrency will not be successful either. 

You are speaking of people buying crypto and trying thier hand at short term trading, or "buyng the dip" (like stock trading).  I am speaking about Blockchain technology as a whole emerging sector.  big difference.

This post was edited by Zevlin at April 28, 2021 5:57 PM PDT
    • 413 posts
    April 28, 2021 5:41 PM PDT

vjek said:

IMO:

Your fear of what could go wrong is justified.  When you take it to the worst possible outcome, which is possible.  But that's not what I want.  I want VR to recognize that Blockchain Technology is a merging market and needs to be dealt with with some type of stratagy no what matter what side of the equation you are on. 

Simply allowing someone to pay for their expansion or monthly Sub via ETH, ENJ or LINK as thier form of payment would not be anything you described above.   They are simply offering more ways for the customer to send subscription payments.  

Now yes, moving past that the point of the monthly sub and expansions is where VR would need to cautious and careful.  The VR Vision/Tenets needs to be upheld, but at the same time they are not producing a game in their own bubble outside industry forces either.  Either way you have to account for Blockchain and the $hit ton of uses for it.  So I would like to have more discussion around how VR deals with it, without Jacking up Pantheon in the process.

This post was edited by Zevlin at April 28, 2021 5:47 PM PDT
    • 560 posts
    April 28, 2021 5:57 PM PDT

Not sure I agree a gaming company needs to do anything to be part of Crypto revolution. For example PayPal is allowing people to make payments using Bicoin as a source of payment. I am sure many others will fill that need without VR putting any development time into it. Let banks be banks and game developers be just that game developers.

As to implumenting any other part of the block chain tech into game development I would refer back to vjek previous post.

• 9115 posts
    April 29, 2021 2:13 AM PDT

BenD said:

It's really just about testing the market. If there's a market there, we'd be doing a disservice to the game's production by not exploring it. If there isn't, then that will become clear quickly and there would be no point in doing more.

Just a reminder folks, Ben stated why we're doing it.

Please keep Cash Shop discussion out of this thread, it is purely for NFT's.

• 2138 posts
    April 29, 2021 1:14 PM PDT

Who can we contact if we have questions on the "how to"? regarding wallets n stuff. The murk looks interesting to me.

• 560 posts
    April 29, 2021 1:39 PM PDT

Manouk said:

Who can we contact if we have questions on the "how to"? regarding wallets n stuff. The murk looks interesting to me.

I am a little reluctant but if you are unable to find another reource for help you can send me a PM and I can walk you though what I know. I have never purchased an NFT but I have been invested in Crypto since 2013 so I understand how most of it works.

• 413 posts
    April 30, 2021 11:34 AM PDT

NFT Maps.  Once the game launches, players and cartographers will be making all sorts of maps.  What if you could buy official Panteon Maps via Pantheon's OpenSea website.  Yes, you could just right-click the image and open in new tab, then "save image as"  nice free map, and an offical one too!

However, if players are able to link their Crypto wallets to VR accounts, then VR could know which NFTs maps you own.  They could at this point,  turn on the mapping system for the maps you own.  Or, your player could experience more of the perception pings in the world.  This could be a horrible idea but the concept is solid.  VR's abilty to know what NFTs a player has opens all kinds of possibilites not yet thought of.  For example, The NFT could be an Offical Map and a 3 month subscription (no in game perks).

Personanly I think, tracking acheivments and milestones on the blockchain would be awesome.  A place where you see the complete stats, who, what, where and how.  Also have gameplay footage of the event, like your Epic raid.  Blockchain Social Media is already here encrypted and ready for use.  Purchase premium subscription Patheon account to turn on the API for your account an extra $3.99 a month.  I think of Blockchain as an awesome tool chest.  Establish an API with the Blockchain now and in a few years all kinds of doors will open up that will help the longevity of Pantheon.

I remember a guys I used to work with me at the airlines in 1987.  A Loud mouth guy,  told everyone to buy Microsoft,  everyone told him to shup up and we were tired of hearing about Microsoft,... Windows...lol,.. stupid!  The loud mouth quitely retired a short time later.

This post was edited by Zevlin at April 30, 2021 12:02 PM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    April 30, 2021 2:49 PM PDT

Caine said:...  They could at this point,  turn on the mapping system for the maps you own.  Or, your player could experience more of the perception pings in the world. ... 

IMO:

So, paying real-life cash/money for an in-game advantage, then?

• 413 posts
    April 30, 2021 4:20 PM PDT

vjek said:

Caine said:...  They could at this point,  turn on the mapping system for the maps you own.  Or, your player could experience more of the perception pings in the world. ... 

IMO:

So, paying real-life cash/money for an in-game advantage, then?

and I added.  This could be a horrible idea but the concept is solid. (Do you work for CNN by any chance?)  

The point was to illustrate real use cases of NFTs, and what is possible with the data if interfaced with the blockchain.  Not all use cases are bad,  It's just a tool,  like a hammer,  you can build a house with a hammer,  you can also smash a finger with a hammer.  

The reason I like to have dialog about NFTs is because it will be a reality whether we as players like it or not.  So if VR wants to sell me a NFT of the world map of Pantheon which includes 3 month subscription and 1 extra character slot, then great.  Finding ways to fund this game without crossing the line into the taboo topics is a good thing.

This post was edited by Zevlin at April 30, 2021 4:24 PM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    April 30, 2021 4:48 PM PDT

IMO:

Implementing methods for customers to use real life currency or cryptocurrency, or any other external means other than a subscription to gain an in-game item, advantage, convenience, apperance, bonus or similar has never been about the challenges of implementation.

The implmentation is trivial, easy, well known, fast, and historically proven.

Same goes for the scope of NFTs with respect to blockchain.  Within the scope of the games database, an audit trail or transaction record provides the same value as a blockchain record.  Again, it's not about implementation.

The entirety of the 'taboo topic' is whether Visionary Realms is willing to permit such a method, at all, in any way, and the consequences to the target demographic.
    All other MMO's and indeed, all other online services that have, in the past 25+ years, provided a service in exchange for real life currency, have done so without some, any, or significant use of blockchain, cryptocurrency, NFT's, or anything remotely similar.

In other words, in my opinion, your assertion of "it will be a reality whether we as players like it or not" isn't accurate, based on history.  All those other games, and current games, have not had the need to embrace anything remotely like this in order to succeed.  The existence of something "new" in the context of real life currency, money, finances, or similar doesn't automatically mean it must be used in any "new" game for that game to have a chance at success or for it to be viable, financially.

To date, the NFTs for Pantheon have raised approximately a weeks (minimum) wage, after taxes, of one employee, depending on your country. 
    So far, it seems unlikely this will be a significant source of the millions of dollars required to push this project to Alpha before the end of 2021.

Also, it is extremely risky to accept cryptocurrency as payment for subscriptions, as history has indicated.  The incredible, rapid, and frequent volatility in value alone makes it more risky than fiat money/currency, never mind the massive, unavoidable and continuously changing exchange fees.

• 6 posts
    May 3, 2021 9:06 PM PDT

Can you guys offer one of a kind framed prints that we can bid on or something? Maybe signed by the team? that has way more value to me!

• 165 posts
    May 26, 2021 10:18 AM PDT

aialaden said:

Can you guys offer one of a kind framed prints that we can bid on or something? Maybe signed by the team? that has way more value to me!

I second this!

• 1273 posts
    May 28, 2021 2:11 PM PDT

So, what did we find out?  I can't tell from the site if any of them sold.  I almost bid on one, but it was a pain to try to figure out how to get that kind of currency, so I changed my mind.
    If it was just a credit card or paypal or something I woulda bid.

• 2138 posts
    May 28, 2021 9:11 PM PDT

starblight said:

Manouk said:

I am a little reluctant but if you are unable to find another reource for help you can send me a PM and I can walk you though what I know. I have never purchased an NFT but I have been invested in Crypto since 2013 so I understand how most of it works.

Hey thanks Starblight!. I was able to figure it out and got metamask and understand it. I can see the items VR has put up are owned so, thats cool. I am sensitive to your reluctance thank you for the offer :) I may PM you about only one thing to clarify. Maybe with more artists VR hires there will be more pretty, lush, dense type landscapes. I liked the faerthale items.

• 1921 posts
    June 2, 2021 6:24 AM PDT

An interesting opinion regarding Cryptoart:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMSIGEunHAQ/ or https://imgur.com/gallery/xD3ofl6

They enumerate where the money comes from and where it ends up.  Pretty solid arguments, imo.