Forums » Fan Creations

An Actual Pantheon Tome Found!

• 337 posts
    March 8, 2021 1:11 PM PST

So... I've been working on my super novice leatherworking skills and trying to get the whole leatherbound journal sizing and finishing thing just right.  I made this book that's just all the stories from the Amensol's Shadow series under the Fan Fiction section put altogether.  Shout out to Therek for putting them all in one document and adding chapter layers.  it made it really easy to fine tune and edit, so thanks bud!  I'm making two and this was my practice copy so i could take some lessons learned.

It's 240 pages.

Vegetable tanned leather, but the cheap stuff.  If you look at the edges, the stain did NOT soak into some artifacts around the edges.  Not sure why it did that, but it actually came out alright.  It makes the book look naturally worn somehow. I didn't finish the inside of the cover of this one, but i did try to smooth out the back and had some marginal success with this one chemical and a very finely sanded rounded block of wood that you rub over the surface with the chemical and it binds the fibers together.  It didn't turn out awesome, but it was decent for first try.

It's got some 60 weight off white paper I ordered that is a little grainier looking that copy paper, but it wasn't as grainy as I was looking for.  The first book I did I ripped all the pages out of a 9x12 sketchbook that was slightly fuzzy that I actually preferred to this paper, but it does look good. Was bound in books of 10 pages folded in half, so 40 pages per book and 6 books.

I developed a special stitching pattern for binding the pages.that looked better on paper than in real life, but it's ok enough. And the stitching could have been a little straighter but I shortcutted a step.

Overall, what do yall think? Suggestions? Any other leatherworkers out there with tips for me?

• 2886 posts
    March 8, 2021 6:13 PM PST

That looks awesome! The wide range of talents in the Pantheon community never ceases to amaze me :)

• 231 posts
    March 9, 2021 9:48 AM PST

I have absolutely no leatherworking skills, though a friend of mine does who used to be in SCA. This looks fantastic! What an awesome idea.

• 1860 posts
    March 9, 2021 2:55 PM PST

Super cool.  I hope you share more of this type of thing in the future. 

This post was edited by philo at March 11, 2021 2:52 PM PST
    • 46 posts
    March 9, 2021 8:15 PM PST

Wow that really looks exciting thanks for sharing. Well done!

• 83 posts
    March 10, 2021 12:07 AM PST

I have to say /clap ! Bravo, well done !

• 197 posts
    March 11, 2021 11:55 AM PST

Dude, thats awesome! A worthy addition to any bookshelf, nightstand, or dimly lit desk.

• 41 posts
    April 27, 2021 10:59 PM PDT

I like the looks of that. Reminds me of my old EQ binder with loot locs and  printed out maps (from work cuz ink and printers were expensive back in the day).  I used to use a parchment weight "antiquated" paper for caligraphy.  I'll see if I can find brand and type for you would look great in a leather bound tome.

This post was edited by MalFelis at April 27, 2021 11:00 PM PDT
    • 337 posts
    April 28, 2021 7:17 AM PDT
    That would be great. Last book I did, I tore out the pages of 9x12 sketchpads and cut them all to the size I wanted. This time, I opted to find some paper online. Was a great weight and feel and it's an ivory tone but wasn't quite as grainy as I was expecting