Forums » News and Announcements

March 4th Development Stream

• 1992 posts
    March 10, 2021 8:39 AM PST

Yes, I understand the function. I just disagree with you about having that functionality in the game. I don't think VR would agree to let us see a mob's Hate list, and this functionality would tell us who was at the top of that list, even before the mob acted on it. I think that gives way too much help to every class. Target of target for my groupmates, sure. For my enemies, no.

This post was edited by Jothany at March 10, 2021 8:42 AM PST
    • 83 posts
    March 10, 2021 11:19 PM PST

I remember you told us you played AC but not EQ. Was there a 'Target of Target' UI feature in AC ?

• 1992 posts
    March 11, 2021 12:26 PM PST

Adonhiram said:

I remember you told us you played AC but not EQ. Was there a 'Target of Target' UI feature in AC ?

While having an Assist function - or the info it is based on - would have been useful to adventuring groups, we did not have it. AC did not have group roles or 'formal' character classes as such.

This post was edited by Jothany at March 11, 2021 12:28 PM PST
    • 83 posts
    March 11, 2021 11:45 PM PST

Jothany said:

Adonhiram said:

While having an Assist function - or the info it is based on - would have been useful to adventuring groups, we did not have it. AC did not have group roles or 'formal' character classes as such.

Interesting, seems like a totally different world in terms of gameplay. Well, about the HoTT tool in EQ (the EQ Target of Target), to be honest it was implemented only after a couple of years and not at release - but everyone who experimented it considers it to be a critical tool and couldn't live without it. I don't think it makes PCs overpowered, it's just a bit easier to monitor target switching and allows you to react quicker. It doesn't give any supernatural form of clairvoyance to the players, I can guarantee you that at least.

• 1992 posts
    March 12, 2021 10:20 AM PST

Adonhiram said:

but everyone who experimented it considers it to be a critical tool and couldn't live without it. 

It doesn't give any supernatural form of clairvoyance to the players, I can guarantee you that at least.

Being able to target whoever the group's tank has targeted IS a critical tool in any game that HAS tanks, and I wouldn't want to do without it either.  It's only the knowledge of the Mob's target that I think would trivialize aggro management for the Tank, and be more than "a bit" of help for the healers and melees.

Guarantees notwithstanding, for all of my group to have certain knowledge of who the mob we are fighting has decided to attack - before that mob attacks them, approaches them, or even turns away from the Tank - certainly fits the metaphor I used of 'reading his mind'.

There is no correct answer to this issue, it's a matter of personal preference. You want that feature, I don't.

I think we just have to agree to disagree :)

• 83 posts
    March 17, 2021 12:35 AM PDT

You want that feature, I don't.

I think we just have to agree to disagree :)

We do, we do, no hard feelings. I think it will get implemented at some point in the game's early years, and I'd love to chat with you when that time has arrived to see if your position has evolved, hehe :-)