Forums » News and Announcements

PRODUCER’S LETTER – OCTOBER 2020

• 1921 posts
    October 24, 2020 8:16 AM PDT

Kilsin/BenD,

On Reddit, this morning (Oct 24, 2020), the Moderators of /r/PantheonMMO/ are apparently using Kilsins official letter from August 22, 2020 as justification to ban posters and/or delete posts discussing the October Producer's Letter.
    The claim is made that everything within Kilsins August response supercedes and is currently more up to date and accurate than the October Producer's Letter.

Any chance either of you could drop a note into the subreddit or contact the Moderators there to clear up the situation, and permit the community to continue to discuss the most recent news about the state of the game?  While I don't personally post on Reddit, it seems quite popular, and the current situation appears to be far from ideal with respect to #CommunityMatters. (and the to-and-fro/flailing is making it hard to read any actual news or discussion)

• 1479 posts
    October 24, 2020 1:30 PM PDT

vjek said:

Kilsin/BenD,

On Reddit, this morning (Oct 24, 2020), the Moderators of /r/PantheonMMO/ are apparently using Kilsins official letter from August 22, 2020 as justification to ban posters and/or delete posts discussing the October Producer's Letter.
    The claim is made that everything within Kilsins August response supercedes and is currently more up to date and accurate than the October Producer's Letter.

Any chance either of you could drop a note into the subreddit or contact the Moderators there to clear up the situation, and permit the community to continue to discuss the most recent news about the state of the game?  While I don't personally post on Reddit, it seems quite popular, and the current situation appears to be far from ideal with respect to #CommunityMatters. (and the to-and-fro/flailing is making it hard to read any actual news or discussion)

Kilsin's answer seems absolutely in line with the recent newsletter so what's the matter ?

• 1921 posts
    October 24, 2020 2:24 PM PDT

Certainly, if, in the opinion of Visionary Realms,
    "we're in a good place and going strong as we have been for the last five years"
    is the equivalent to:
    "we’re going to need more resources"
    Then I guess nothing needs to be done, the subreddit couldn't be more positive, there is no problem of any kind, and you're 100% correct. :)

• 1992 posts
    October 24, 2020 3:49 PM PDT

vjek said: Certainly, if, in the opinion of Visionary Realms,
    "we're in a good place and going strong as we have been for the last five years"
    is the equivalent to:
    "we’re going to need more resources"
    Then I guess nothing needs to be done, the subreddit couldn't be more positive, there is no problem of any kind, and you're 100% correct. :)

Perhaps you were too busy cherry-picking your quotes to notice Ben D.'s clarification on this thread:

BenD said: We are currently prepared to launch the game with the current velocity of crowdfunding. In that scenario it means a much longer development cycle and launching without all the features, graphic fidelity and content we would like. But it is specced out, and planned.

In the ideal situation, which is what we aim for, funding increases—whether by investment, partner deals, or an increase in crowd funding—and then a bigger, fuller game launches much sooner.

So yes, there are no problems, MauvaisOeil is correct. VR is doing fine. They can continue on into the future, building the game and shoping judiciously for a suitable publisher (which honestly, anyone with sense recognized as a likely scenario since day 1).

And if there is a problem on Reddit ~ a forum long known for warm feelings and courteous debate! ~ then you might want to complain to Reddit, rather than to the VR Devs.

• 1921 posts
    October 24, 2020 5:24 PM PDT

Jothany said: ... VR is doing fine. ... 

Glad it hear it from an official source.
    I'll skip the Pantheon subreddit from now on, good idea. :D

• 1992 posts
    October 24, 2020 6:22 PM PDT

vjek said: I'll skip the Pantheon subreddit from now on, good idea. :D

Whoa now, don't read TOO much into what I said!

I'd actually recommend you spend as much time there as possible. 

It may be challenging, but I'm SURE we'll all find a way to survive your absence.

:D

• 22 posts
    October 24, 2020 11:52 PM PDT

As someone that wants to see this game actually come out, so I can grindhouse with an Ogre Dire Lord, I am pleased to hear they are seeking a publishing partner. It is likely that they have been for years, but didn't have anything really amazing to show. Like, hey a combat system. Hey a world. Hey some lore.  That puts you in a class of 100 other games seeking publishers funding. Project Faerthale and PA5 is a noteworthy accomplishment, and says, Hey look, a blossoming game, and one that is ready to instantly adopt (potential new publishing partner)'s team. That stands them out from a crowd of competition, and makes me smile to read. 

This post was edited by Maladar at October 24, 2020 11:54 PM PDT
    • 86 posts
    November 1, 2020 3:23 PM PST

Well done guys.  I am also at proof of concept stage with a business idea, aiming to go for series A funding early next year. Exactly the right strategy on your part. Of course could be anything but we're hearing word that as Covid bites again there are fewer opportunities around and there is lots of investor money desperatley looking for a home. Don't forget to look abroad too. I think with a demo as good as yours I'm sure people will be falling over themselves to give you the funding you need. Best of luck.

• 9115 posts
    November 1, 2020 9:30 PM PST

vjek said:

Kilsin/BenD,

My official reply and Ben D's Producer's letter are exactly the same answer...there is no problem there whatsoever. I read through a bunch of Reddit replies too, they're all speculation, assumptions and naysayers predicting outcomes, none of them have anything to go on other than their opinion.

Please keep drama like this off the official forums, a PM to me would have been appreciated.

• 4 posts
    November 7, 2020 8:41 AM PST

this is a quote from YOU posted january 2015.

Again, all that said, I do want to assure everyone that we’ve not pushed that Pendulum too far. We’re not sitting around doing zones over and over again, attempting absolute perfection. Lots of work in all areas is being done. Just this week we are starting to code our quest system. If you haven’t watched last month’s video (I know it’s long, but please watch the entire thing), check it out – you’ll see real client/server MMO gameplay, and we’ve progressed quite a bit since then. Our programming goal right now, which we’re calling Alpha 1, is to complete basic MMO functionality and features. Then we’ll move to Alpha 2, and add all of the cool new ideas we want to build on top of that classic MMO foundation. So we’re continuing to code like crazy. In fact, the trick with nudging that pendulum is, of course, to make sure we are STILL making measurable forward progress. We want to see Alpha 2 by the end of 2015 and we want 2016 to be all about Beta.