Forums » Pantheon Races

Class Race combinations

• 70 posts
    December 18, 2018 6:03 AM PST

I want to mention some wierd combinations and hope you will discuss it. I hope I did not miss another thread about these.

Ogre Druid
    Ogres are a warrior race. Battle is important, but heroism is too. They respect valour and courage.
    Statues are made for kings to remember. This means also they cherish fame and their history.
    Ogres do not fit a druid class at all. With their focus on war, The only interest they'd have in nature would be cutting trees for warmaking
    They probably have much more interest in their famous warlike ancestors than a tree. It is good to have the Ogre Shaman aviable

Skar Monk is another weird combination. A violent race that cannibalises itself figuratively and litterally is not a place where you find a path of harmony between body and soul.
    I understand pantheon wants to differ the classes between skar classes and the Ogres, but an Ogre monk is much more likely lorewise than a Skar.
    (Same goes for necromancer if the class is implemented. A pure caster class has no place with the Skar.)

Dark Myr Paladin
    One of the classes I like to see is a Paladin Dark Myr. Because it suits them. They already have a cleric. They are obviously very versatile like a human
    They are a race that is filled with disdain. The lure to become a paladin to carry on their righteuous judgement (in their opinion) could be there. The paladin class is about wrath

Dark Myr Druid
    How is a people that came from the sea able to have affinity with weather, wind, animals, trees, leaves, wandering stones.
    A Dark Myr as Druid is not fitting with the history of the race

Dwarven casters
    Traditonally dwarves are casterless. But if this game allows dwarves to be able to enchant, summning would make sense too, especially earthen golems.
    Dwarves are beings that do a lot with elements, earth and fire and appearantly, according to the lore, are able to fuse ice and stone.

Archai are a curious race, even with classes. They seem to be going for pure classes. But then I have a hard time fitting Shaman in. I like to know more about them.

This suprised me: In EQ every race had at least one type of healer. Even if they did not really fit, like the caster race Erudites had.
    But Pantheon made their caster race healerless. I find that very refreshing.

Thanks for reading

• 230 posts
    December 18, 2018 6:52 AM PST

"Dark Myr Druid
    How is a people that came from the sea able to have affinity with weather, wind, animals, trees, leaves, wandering stones.
    A Dark Myr as Druid is not fitting with the history of the race"

I take it you've never been to sea? Anyone who has spent time at sea or even under it knows weather and wind. As to tree's and plants there are plants and such under water. And there are many creatures of varying intelligence underwater as well.

But druids are about being one with NATURE whether is on land or submerged. 

• 70 posts
    December 18, 2018 7:12 AM PST

I live at sea and yes ..weather is a huge factor.  But did not think the weather would be noticable under water.

Most current druids spells are about land animals. You even get a fox ward.  

This post was edited by Qulash at December 18, 2018 7:15 AM PST
    • 230 posts
    December 18, 2018 7:29 AM PST

And how long ago did they come from the ocean? Generations?

And again, it's a bond with all nature not just in the water or out of it.

And they have a fox because a dolphin wouldn't be a particularly effective ally out of the water.

• 595 posts
    December 18, 2018 8:25 AM PST

Qulash said:

I live at sea and yes ..weather is a huge factor.  But did not think the weather would be noticable under water. 

None of the classes would realistically function under water.  There needs to be some suspension of disbelief in a fantasy setting or it all will fall apart.

• 230 posts
    December 18, 2018 12:47 PM PST

Actually after doing some research the dark myr came from another planet altogether.

Of course they have been air breathers on terminus for approximately 537 years. Which is plenty of time for them to climatize to terminus and start producing druids. 

Plus it's magic

This post was edited by DracoKalen at December 18, 2018 12:47 PM PST
    • 70 posts
    December 18, 2018 11:34 PM PST

Thanks. I view the Dark Myr a bit different now

• 2752 posts
    December 20, 2018 2:34 PM PST

Ogre Druid?

Our Druids are about the cycles of nature, the dance between predator and prey. Their powers draw from the forces of nature, like Lightning, Earthquakes, Wildfires, as well as the restorative and transformative sides of Nature. Think of them less as paragons of peace and some ideal of what Nature could or should be, and rather as reflecting what Nature is. Ogres fit this space as the wolf in the weeds.

Why Some Casters and not All Casters?

The simple answer here is that we looked at each of the 3 caster classes as distinct and standing on its own merit. When we did that we were able to make the connections to each race more freely and not assume “If One Then All” for each race. So Dwarves for instance -- as some have already suggested -- prize crafting and smithing to a degree that makes Enchanting a natural fit, but has nothing to do with Summoning. Once we let each arcane class have its own identity in the world, it didn’t feel right to lump them in as a One Caster Equals All Casters package.

As for Dark Myr having cleric but not paladins, I'd say lore might play a big role in that. The deity Syronai is deeply revered by almost the entirety of the Dark Myr so for any to try and break from that to dispense their own judgements very well might be seen as heresy and an insult to the memory of Syronai.

Skar monks make enough sense to me and their bodies are the most weaponlike/fierce of all the races. Monk aren't tranquil peacekeepers in this game as far as I can tell, they are living weapons that have found harmony between body and soul. That harmony in the case of Skar would likely be aligning the violent nature of their souls/desires with their equally dark/dangerous bodies allowing those that follow such a thing to become truely terrifying foes. If monks were Force users ala Star Wars, Skar would be the Sith. Also:

There are a few twists in the culture of the Skar that I’m looking forward to players discovering in game. If we’ve done our job this race shouldn’t feel more generic simply because their approach to wealth acquisition seems so barbarically self-evident. They’re really violent, right, but they still have culture. Violence is an element within that culture, but it isn’t the only thing that animates Skar.

• 379 posts
    December 20, 2018 10:57 PM PST

Dark Myr should be able to be shaman. They have lived over 500 years on Terminus (transcendance anyone!?), and the shaman class uses a Water Bane to heal...I mean, it's Water! C'mon man!

• 70 posts
    December 21, 2018 5:26 AM PST

Iksar said:

Ogre Druid?

Our Druids are about the cycles of nature, the dance between predator and prey. Their powers draw from the forces of nature, like Lightning, Earthquakes, Wildfires, as well as the restorative and transformative sides of Nature. Think of them less as paragons of peace and some ideal of what Nature could or should be, and rather as reflecting what Nature is. Ogres fit this space as the wolf in the weeds.

Even seen from the wild side of nature, a wolf can fight, but wolves do not fight just to wage a war, it fights to survive. Unless the curront ogre Lore changes them a lot from their warlike origins I cannot see a druid fit. Nature just does not wage wars it only tries to survive. Because they are warlike I see ogres use nature for themselves instead of being part of it. Even worse, I suspect ogres to wage a war agains nature instead of embracing it.
    And you can alse look it from the class. Druids are part of nature. They have teeth, they can defend and they can fight to survive. But can you fit a druid to wage a war because war is wat it desires ?

Iksar said:

Why Some Casters and not All Casters?

The simple answer here is that we looked at each of the 3 caster classes as distinct and standing on its own merit. When we did that we were able to make the connections to each race more freely and not assume “If One Then All” for each race. So Dwarves for instance -- as some have already suggested -- prize crafting and smithing to a degree that makes Enchanting a natural fit, but has nothing to do with Summoning. Once we let each arcane class have its own identity in the world, it didn’t feel right to lump them in as a One Caster Equals All Casters package.

I agree with that argument but that same argument could also be used to give dwarves a summoner as they are very familiar with  a lot of elements. earh, fire, ice. Even more so than humans or elves if you think of it. So I would like to know the reasoning behind it. Why not a summoner ?

Iksar said:

Skar monks make enough sense to me and their bodies are the most weaponlike/fierce of all the races. Monk aren't tranquil peacekeepers in this game as far as I can tell, they are living weapons that have found harmony between body and soul. That harmony in the case of Skar would likely be aligning the violent nature of their souls/desires with their equally dark/dangerous bodies allowing those that follow such a thing to become truely terrifying foes. If monks were Force users ala Star Wars, Skar would be the Sith. Also:

There are a few twists in the culture of the Skar that I’m looking forward to players discovering in game. If we’ve done our job this race shouldn’t feel more generic simply because their approach to wealth acquisition seems so barbarically self-evident. They’re really violent, right, but they still have culture. Violence is an element within that culture, but it isn’t the only thing that animates Skar.

I had to let that sink in. As a race that can cannibalises itself only the strongest survive, and they are often not eager to teach their competiton any of their own fighting skills. I know enough violent fantasy races but they rarely have any disciplne and there are usually a lot of them.   It could be beleavable if being a monk has also a religious status, like the most pure warrior. One that earns respect. It would work for all the classes, (except the physically weak necromancers, those I still expect to be eaten!)

This post was edited by Qulash at December 21, 2018 5:30 AM PST